HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 12/16/06 Carolina @ Tampa Bay

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2006, 09:31 PM
  #26
IcePalace
 
IcePalace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 500
I'm sad to say that I don't understand what's going on anymore. We play hard and well, and lose by one. Look at the effort on the final power play! Why is that not effort there on EVERY power play?

Kuba, while possibly not playing on his 'A' game, did stop it from resulting in a 4-2 loss, keeping the game tied early when the puck nearly went in off of Denis' back.

Many chances were created and as usual, they capitalized on the few errors we made. What happened on the late breakaway? Where was the D? Poor Prospal was just robbed by their D from scoring a late goal to, if I remember correctly, tie the game.

Still, I can't complain. They played well. Changes need to be made, but I'm optimistic. Some good things are happening. There's just something not connecting.

I disagree that everything isn't working. I think they just need a fire under their bellies, as evidenced by that last power play. Some changes should indeed be made, I'm not disagreeing, but I think to say that nothing is working at all is selling them short.

IcePalace is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 09:32 PM
  #27
Butchered
Tampa=Boston South
 
Butchered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 501
Country: United States
Posts: 4,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Butchered
Yeah, cause a guy who can't even get a start behind a rookie in the AHL is going to help this team.

Butchered is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 09:33 PM
  #28
boltsgirl41922
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to boltsgirl41922 Send a message via MSN to boltsgirl41922
But wouldnt that send a message to the rest of the team that they need to wake up or they can be replaced?

boltsgirl41922 is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 09:33 PM
  #29
IcePalace
 
IcePalace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsgirl41922 View Post
We need some serious goaltending help, I say we call up Burkie
Burke wouldn't have made any of the saves that Denis has bad in the past few games. He wouldn't have stopped Whitney, and he wouldn't have made that diving stop with the blade of his stick. Please stop talking about "Burkie." It's not going to happen, and it shouldn't.

IcePalace is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 09:36 PM
  #30
IcePalace
 
IcePalace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsgirl41922 View Post
But wouldnt that send a message to the rest of the team that they need to wake up or they can be replaced?
If anything, it would take them off of their game. Though it's been poor lately, the forecheck is where they like to play. If they're not confident in the goaltender, they're not going to play well offensively. So, no, it wouldn't send any message—except that we can't play our style of hockey anymore.

IcePalace is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 09:37 PM
  #31
Kristia
Old folks home..
 
Kristia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa Bay Area....
Country: United States
Posts: 13,863
vCash: 1418
Awards:
*sigh* Played well, lost game..Played well, lost game ...played well, lost game... on and on and on again... This record is long past broken and I'm more than tired of it.. I want to see some kind of change... something...


*How are the draft picks looking for the 07 draft? Anyone good coming out?? looks like we're going to have a nice high one*

__________________
I don't know KARATE, but I do know CRAZY and I'm not afraid to use it!!
Kristia is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 09:37 PM
  #32
Butchered
Tampa=Boston South
 
Butchered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 501
Country: United States
Posts: 4,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Butchered
But everything is going wrong. That last powerplay effort was great, but you know what? The game was already over by then. You can't keep getting more shots, more chances, more PPs than the other team, and continue losing games. It doesn't work like that. This is another game they had under control that they lost.

The PP doesn't score goals, and in fact, I believe we're second in the league for SH goals against, so that adds into the fact they don't put them in. Kuba did stop that puck behind Denis, but his horrible play was the reason it was there in the first place! It's all well and good that he made the play, but had he not given up the puck, you don't need to worry about that.

Bottom line is that it doesn't matter how well they play. I'm tired of hearing fans, players, media talking about how many shots they get. It doesn't matter how many shots we get. It doesn't matter what the score could have been. The only thing that matters at the end of the year is that number in the points coloumn, and this is yet another game they should have added at LEAST 1 point to that number, yet they walk away with nothing. If that's not everything going wrong, I certainly have no clue what is.

Butchered is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 09:37 PM
  #33
boltsgirl41922
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to boltsgirl41922 Send a message via MSN to boltsgirl41922
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePalace View Post
Burke wouldn't have made any of the saves that Denis has bad in the past few games. He wouldn't have stopped Whitney, and he wouldn't have made that diving stop with the blade of his stick. Please stop talking about "Burkie." It's not going to happen, and it shouldn't.

I entirely disagree, Burkie is an amazing goalie, who deserves far better treatment than what this organization has given him. He has far more talent than Denis and holmqvist put together.

boltsgirl41922 is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 09:39 PM
  #34
Butchered
Tampa=Boston South
 
Butchered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 501
Country: United States
Posts: 4,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Butchered
Yeah, getting paid to sit around. We treat him like CRAP!

Butchered is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 09:45 PM
  #35
boltsgirl41922
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to boltsgirl41922 Send a message via MSN to boltsgirl41922
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePalace View Post
If anything, it would take them off of their game. Though it's been poor lately, the forecheck is where they like to play. If they're not confident in the goaltender, they're not going to play well offensively. So, no, it wouldn't send any message—except that we can't play our style of hockey anymore.
If I may point out, that with John Grahame and Sean Burke we actually made the playoffs. JG's save percentage, while I'll admit it was a little low, was .889, and his GAA was a bit too high for my liking, but it was 3.06 (both better than Denis). Burkie's numbers were also better than homqvist's numbers this year (2.80, .895 vs. 3.06, .887).

Now maybe I shouldnt be comparing full season stats to a partial year's stats, but as the season progresses the position of goaltender becomes harder.

Denis also has been a Number One Guy before, he should have come out flying, JG at least didnt have any experience being a Number One, and had the lockout. (However, he still out played Denis).

We were far better last year.

boltsgirl41922 is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 09:46 PM
  #36
boltsgirl41922
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to boltsgirl41922 Send a message via MSN to boltsgirl41922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderworks View Post
Yeah, getting paid to sit around. We treat him like CRAP!
We are! He should be playing, or at least warming the NHL bench.

boltsgirl41922 is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 09:48 PM
  #37
IcePalace
 
IcePalace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderworks View Post
But everything is going wrong. That last powerplay effort was great, but you know what? The game was already over by then. You can't keep getting more shots, more chances, more PPs than the other team, and continue losing games. It doesn't work like that. This is another game they had under control that they lost.

The PP doesn't score goals, and in fact, I believe we're second in the league for SH goals against, so that adds into the fact they don't put them in. Kuba did stop that puck behind Denis, but his horrible play was the reason it was there in the first place! It's all well and good that he made the play, but had he not given up the puck, you don't need to worry about that.

Bottom line is that it doesn't matter how well they play. I'm tired of hearing fans, players, media talking about how many shots they get. It doesn't matter how many shots we get. It doesn't matter what the score could have been. The only thing that matters at the end of the year is that number in the points coloumn, and this is yet another game they should have added at LEAST 1 point to that number, yet they walk away with nothing. If that's not everything going wrong, I certainly have no clue what is.
I merely pointed out the effort in the last power play is a glimmer of hope. They played really well because they knew they needed to get it in. If they can do it then, why can't they always do it?

I think you are too binary looking at this team. To you it's either a win or it isn't. While that is the deciding factor in the grand scheme of things, these small things add up and eventually they click and turn into wins. Everything went wrong for this game, that doesn't mean that everything will go wrong for the next game.

We also can't deny the fact that Ward is amazing.

IcePalace is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 09:55 PM
  #38
boltsgirl41922
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to boltsgirl41922 Send a message via MSN to boltsgirl41922
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePalace View Post
I merely pointed out the effort in the last power play is a glimmer of hope. They played really well because they knew they needed to get it in. If they can do it then, why can't they always do it?

I think you are too binary looking at this team. To you it's either a win or it isn't. While that is the deciding factor in the grand scheme of things, these small things add up and eventually they click and turn into wins. Everything went wrong for this game, that doesn't mean that everything will go wrong for the next game.

We also can't deny the fact that Ward is amazing.

To me its not all wins or losses. I want the team playing well. I've allowed myself to sleep at night by going over the positives in our losses, but I'm tired of that. We're 3 games under .500. Feaster is right, for our salary we shouldnt be in 13th place in the East. We're the 20th percentile of the east. Maybe I'm strange, but I'd like the team to win a game or two a year. Maybe I'm the only one who doesnt want us to go back to the way the team was years ago (for crying out loud, we set an NHL record for having 4 consecutive seasons with more than 50 losses!).

I'm tired of looking at the bright side. Its time to be realistic, we need the wins. We shouldnt be in thirteenth place, we shouldnt be requiring Vinny and Marty to score 5-10 goals just to get a win. We need help.

Oh, btw, not everything went wrong tonight. Denis had some amazing saves (that means one thing went somewhat right).

boltsgirl41922 is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 09:55 PM
  #39
Butchered
Tampa=Boston South
 
Butchered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 501
Country: United States
Posts: 4,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Butchered
I'm a fan of this team, 82-0 or 0-82, but they can do better, and they don't. That's my issue. I think trading Richards could be one of the best things this team could do for itself right now, but let's assume none of the 3 will be traded.

Fedotenko, Prospal Taylor, Tarnasky, Roy, Karlsson, Afansenkov. NONE of them can score goals. That leaves Lecavalier, Richards, St. Louis, Perrin and Alexeev. 5 guys who can score. That doesn't cut it. The D men aren't kicking in any offense, but even worse, they aren't helping out on D either!

I am happy when they do good things, but it's not working anymore. If they were being outplayed start to finish, the losses would be worse, but at least you can say they didn't deserve to win. This is yet another game they had dominated in, and it's another game they don't get a point in.

If you really love this team, and the way it's set, you better start praying for some wins, cause the second this team is out of playoff contention, you can bet the owners are gong to be really quick to slash payroll, which will force our hand when dealing with these players much more than it should be right now.

Butchered is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 09:55 PM
  #40
IcePalace
 
IcePalace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsgirl41922 View Post
If I may point out, that with John Grahame and Sean Burke we actually made the playoffs. JG's save percentage, while I'll admit it was a little low, was .889, and his GAA was a bit too high for my liking, but it was 3.06 (both better than Denis). Burkie's numbers were also better than homqvist's numbers this year (2.80, .895 vs. 3.06, .887).

Now maybe I shouldnt be comparing full season stats to a partial year's stats, but as the season progresses the position of goaltender becomes harder.

Denis also has been a Number One Guy before, he should have come out flying, JG at least didnt have any experience being a Number One, and had the lockout. (However, he still out played Denis).

We were far better last year.
While we are currently in a slide, on the whole we have bested last year (at least as far as November).

Save percentage and goals against mean nothing. If a goalie has a GAA of 7 and the team averages 10 goals a game it really doesn't matter does it? The point is wins and saves that keep us in the game. When it came to the clutch shots, Burke and Grahame didn't keep us in the game. I remember far more yelling at Grahame and Burke because they missed easy shots. The rarely made highlight saves. Denis has a few in the past few games. Holmqvist, while he was on his streak, was amazing.

I can count the number of games where I thought Burke was amazing on one...finger.

IcePalace is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 09:58 PM
  #41
IcePalace
 
IcePalace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsgirl41922 View Post
To me its not all wins or losses. I want the team playing well. I've allowed myself to sleep at night by going over the positives in our losses, but I'm tired of that. We're 3 games under .500. Feaster is right, for our salary we shouldnt be in 13th place in the East. We're the 20th percentile of the east. Maybe I'm strange, but I'd like the team to win a game or two a year. Maybe I'm the only one who doesnt want us to go back to the way the team was years ago (for crying out loud, we set an NHL record for having 4 consecutive seasons with more than 50 losses!).

I'm tired of looking at the bright side. Its time to be realistic, we need the wins. We shouldnt be in thirteenth place, we shouldnt be requiring Vinny and Marty to score 5-10 goals just to get a win. We need help.

Oh, btw, not everything went wrong tonight. Denis had some amazing saves (that means one thing went somewhat right).
Just want to point this out: you say that to you it's not all wins and losses and then you talk exclusively about how we used to lose and you now want wins. You make no sense.

Also, I never said everything went wrong. I was the one who said that a lot of stuff was great.

IcePalace is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 10:00 PM
  #42
boltsgirl41922
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to boltsgirl41922 Send a message via MSN to boltsgirl41922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderworks View Post
I'm a fan of this team, 82-0 or 0-82, but they can do better, and they don't. That's my issue. I think trading Richards could be one of the best things this team could do for itself right now, but let's assume none of the 3 will be traded.

Fedotenko, Prospal Taylor, Tarnasky, Roy, Karlsson, Afansenkov. NONE of them can score goals. That leaves Lecavalier, Richards, St. Louis, Perrin and Alexeev. 5 guys who can score. That doesn't cut it. The D men aren't kicking in any offense, but even worse, they aren't helping out on D either!

I am happy when they do good things, but it's not working anymore. If they were being outplayed start to finish, the losses would be worse, but at least you can say they didn't deserve to win. This is yet another game they had dominated in, and it's another game they don't get a point in.

If you really love this team, and the way it's set, you better start praying for some wins, cause the second this team is out of playoff contention, you can bet the owners are gong to be really quick to slash payroll, which will force our hand when dealing with these players much more than it should be right now.
I personally have a lot of faith in Affy, Feds, and Vinnie, and I'd like to keep Timmy. The others, please get rid of them.

With Affy, I think he needs more ice time (any time on the ice is more than being scratched), he played well last year when on a line with Brad and Marty, I think if he was on a line with a good play maker, he'd be set. He has good hands.

Feds, he's streaky just like Vinnie. This past summer, he had hip surgery again, and I remember him saying he's still not 100%. Give him time, he's worth every penny considering his goals usually are big ones.

Vinnie, he most likely will be the one to go, IMO, but I think he's just had an off year. He's contributing assists, but he needs to find the back of the net himself. He plays very well with Vinny, but Vinny's playing very well with Marty. He just needs to find the back of the net once, and the goals will start coming.

boltsgirl41922 is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 10:02 PM
  #43
IcePalace
 
IcePalace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsgirl41922 View Post
I personally have a lot of faith in Affy, Feds, and Vinnie, and I'd like to keep Timmy. The others, please get rid of them.

With Affy, I think he needs more ice time (any time on the ice is more than being scratched), he played well last year when on a line with Brad and Marty, I think if he was on a line with a good play maker, he'd be set. He has good hands.

Feds, he's streaky just like Vinnie. This past summer, he had hip surgery again, and I remember him saying he's still not 100%. Give him time, he's worth every penny considering his goals usually are big ones.

Vinnie, he most likely will be the one to go, IMO, but I think he's just had an off year. He's contributing assists, but he needs to find the back of the net himself. He plays very well with Vinny, but Vinny's playing very well with Marty. He just needs to find the back of the net once, and the goals will start coming.
Now, I agree with you. Anyway, goodnight all. I'll see you again eventually. I'm heading out of town.

IcePalace is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 10:03 PM
  #44
Butchered
Tampa=Boston South
 
Butchered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 501
Country: United States
Posts: 4,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Butchered
Afansenkov got his ice time, TOP ice time mind you, at the start of the season. There should only be about 2-3 names on the list of players not open to trade discussion right now, and that's VERY dependent on what the team is willing to offer for those 2-3 players.

Butchered is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 10:08 PM
  #45
boltsgirl41922
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to boltsgirl41922 Send a message via MSN to boltsgirl41922
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePalace View Post
While we are currently in a slide, on the whole we have bested last year (at least as far as November).

Save percentage and goals against mean nothing. If a goalie has a GAA of 7 and the team averages 10 goals a game it really doesn't matter does it? The point is wins and saves that keep us in the game. When it came to the clutch shots, Burke and Grahame didn't keep us in the game. I remember far more yelling at Grahame and Burke because they missed easy shots. The rarely made highlight saves. Denis has a few in the past few games. Holmqvist, while he was on his streak, was amazing.

I can count the number of games where I thought Burke was amazing on one...finger.
It does matter, GAA is what drove Patrick Roy to demand to be traded out of Montreal. To a goalie, GAA means quite a lot. And I dont think we should have to score 10 goals to get a win. The goalie is there for a reason (hint: to stop pucks).

Games Burkie was amazing in:

Apr 8, 2006 vs. PIT, Apr 6, 2006 vs. ATL, Apr 3, 2006 vs. FLA, Mar 13, 2006 vs. MTL, Feb 6, 2006 vs. NYI (despite what those morons said about him), Jan 31, 2006 vs. TOR, Jan 28, 2006 vs. PHI, Jan 20, 2006 vs. DAL, Jan 2, 2006 vs. NYI, Dec 30, 2005 vs. BOS, Dec 15, 2005 vs. PHX, Nov 22, 2005 vs. PHI, Oct 15, 2005 vs. PIT,

boltsgirl41922 is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 10:10 PM
  #46
boltsgirl41922
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to boltsgirl41922 Send a message via MSN to boltsgirl41922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderworks View Post
Afansenkov got his ice time, TOP ice time mind you, at the start of the season. There should only be about 2-3 names on the list of players not open to trade discussion right now, and that's VERY dependent on what the team is willing to offer for those 2-3 players.
I think Affy deserves more of a chance. He's a good player, with great hands. He should be given more opportunities.

boltsgirl41922 is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 10:11 PM
  #47
boltsgirl41922
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to boltsgirl41922 Send a message via MSN to boltsgirl41922
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePalace View Post
Now, I agree with you. Anyway, goodnight all. I'll see you again eventually. I'm heading out of town.
Have a good trip. I've had fun tonight. Nice meeting you

boltsgirl41922 is offline  
Old
12-16-2006, 10:21 PM
  #48
boltsgirl41922
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to boltsgirl41922 Send a message via MSN to boltsgirl41922
Where'd everyone else go?

boltsgirl41922 is offline  
Old
12-17-2006, 08:54 AM
  #49
Tokala
Registered User
 
Tokala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,878
vCash: 500
I have become numb to the ineptness that is the Tampa Bay Lightning.

And, please stop bringing up Sean Burke and how he's a "great" goalie. You're just baiting everyone around here.

Tokala is offline  
Old
12-17-2006, 12:29 PM
  #50
Maria
Registered User
 
Maria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,436
vCash: 500
Who scored the two goals??

Maria is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.