HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zhitnik for Meyer and a CONDITIONAL 3rd. rounder...

Old
12-21-2006, 06:01 AM
Mythology

vCash: 500
Did any one notice Zhidnik had 29+ mins ice time against Carolina? I guess that shows what the coaching staff thinks of hime, and where they him on the d depth chart.

Mythology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythology View Post
Did any one notice Zhitnik had 29+ mins ice time against Carolina? I guess that shows what the coaching staff thinks of hime, and where they him on the d depth chart.
Yes this would be the same coaching staff that plays Hatcher and played Rathje 20+ minutes a night regardless of their play. Everyone knows that Rathje was injured and wasn't effective but he still played 20+ minutes every night because we all know having experience is always better than getting experience. Do you think the Flyers ever cut Hatcher's icetime when he was -4 for a game or gave Rathje a day off when he was struggling to keep up with the players on the ice? Our top 3 salaried DMen have combined for -26 and 3 assists (that's what 8 million or so will buy you) this year. That's not including the -2 and 0 points that Zhitnik accumulated since arriving in Philly. It seems to be more of the same to me. Zhitnik's +/- will be in the negative on or shortly after new year which was the only positive thing he had going for him this year. In short I have no faith in the Flyers making the right decision on who to play.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 07:52 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythology View Post
Did any one notice Zhidnik had 29+ mins ice time against Carolina? I guess that shows what the coaching staff thinks of hime, and where they him on the d depth chart.
I would play him 29 minutes also if 3 of the other 6 defensemen on the team weren't capable of big minutes.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 05:12 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
For the money those guys may get, I m fine with zhitnik. It is only 2 years. Those guys above may get 4-5 year deals at 5mm per to start. I hear what your saying that if we sign another we will have 20mm just in dman. I think they could move Gauthier as he isnt breaking the bank. Dare I bite my tongue but with the way Hatcher has played, some team who thinks they may be 1 dman away may trade for him. He is playing 26 minutes a night and on another team they reduce that to 20 he becomes that more efffective. If a team is struggling on the pk he will help them as well. Either way I think one will not be here next year. I hope Homer has a plan as I think he will be the GM next year, for better or worse. All the young guys will not pan out. It is fine playing them now to see what they have but going into next year depending ont hem is a recipe for disaster, hence see this year. Right now have 4 guys who are penciled in Hatcher,Gauthier,Pitkinnan, Zhitnik. Picard will have to lose his spot. timonnen is not ready and Lars isn't either. Sign another Dman and Jones becomes the 7th. If any of the young guys show they are ready you deal at that point.

The bigger pressing #1 need is an upgrade in goal IMO, though many on this board have varying opinions
If we move Hatcher, then it might not be such a bad deal, but I just dont see that happening. Like I posted to someone in the York thread, but probably belongs here, Ted Nolan had Zhitnik in Buffalo. Unless he is just no where near the player he used to be, I dont see why he would give him up for nothing. The only other alternative is that he didnt lik him to begin with, but that doesnt make me feel any better about aquiring him.

And I rather spend the extra money for one of those guys just hitting their prime, then someone who is beginning the downside of their career.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
I see your point mikedifr but there will most likely be enough cap space this summer to sign another really good d-man, see Zhitnik as Rathjes replacement, he's not taking up the cap space of the top-2 dman we'll likely sign this summer.

07/08:
Pitkanen - UFA
Zhitnik - Hatcher
Gauthier - Picard
Jones

(The Flyers are IMO also very thin on good d-prospects, i don't think either of Jonsson or Timonen will become regulars)

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 07:26 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion of the North View Post
I see your point mikedifr but there will most likely be enough cap space this summer to sign another really good d-man, see Zhitnik as Rathjes replacement, he's not taking up the cap space of the top-2 dman we'll likely sign this summer.

07/08:
Pitkanen - UFA
Zhitnik - Hatcher
Gauthier - Picard
Jones

(The Flyers are IMO also very thin on good d-prospects, i don't think either of Jonsson or Timonen will become regulars)
I already went through this in my post above. Please tell me how it makes sense to have almost $18 - $20 million spent on just the defense, and having Hatcher or Gauthier on the 3rd pairing with their salaries? We have to resign Pitkanen, Forsberg or a replacement, resign Nitty, and fill up some other holes up front. It makes absolutely no sense to go sign another top dman now when you have a competent top 4 in Pitkanen, Hatcher, Zhitnik and Gauthier.

The only way signing another dman makes sense is if one of Gauthier or Hather are moved, IMO. With the new CBA and 28 year old FAs this year, this team had the opportunity to pick up a really, really good young dman for the next 5 years. To do that though, it would cost $5 million. With Zhitnik's contract, I have a feeling we can only spend about $3 million on d now.

We really need to just stop this debate cause we are going in circles. Every new point I make, I get the same response from someone different.

I am not trying to say that I am definitely 100% right, obviously it is just my opinion, but lets just agree to disagree on the direction this team in taking.

Last edited by mikedifr: 12-21-2006 at 10:02 PM.
mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote