HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vyborny appreciation Thread

Old
12-16-2006, 02:11 PM
GRETZKY_99

vCash: 500
Vyborny appreciation Thread

I've been watching Columbus games for a while and Vyborny seems to be a complete player.. PP, PK, and ES.. In my opinion, he's Jackets' best player this year by a long shot... I just wanted to know if anyone here agrees with this, and why ?

GRETZKY_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 02:19 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
I've said it for years, Vyborny is the most underrated player in the entire NHL.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 02:26 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

What do you think about retiring the Number 9 jersey after Vyborny retires. (It seems like it will be after his current contract)

Think about it... He's been the first true "Career" player for the jackets... a thought maybe?

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

It's because he's not their "best" player in any one area, why he doesn't get the attention. Plus, he plays in an emerging market that has had little (no?) success, and doesn't garner attention with gaudy numbers. Since the first preseason Vybes has been my favorite Jacket. There was a time when it looked like he wasn't going to make it - open of season 3 I believe - but he finally figured out the N.Am. game. Where he really excels is in stickhandling, where he's not overly flashy but always in control and quick to boot, and along the boards, where he is deceptively strong and balandec on his skates, and wins battles more often than not.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 03:03 PM
falcor

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
What do you think about retiring the Number 9 jersey after Vyborny retires. (It seems like it will be after his current contract)

Think about it... He's been the first true "Career" player for the jackets... a thought maybe?
while that would be a very respectful thing to do, i hope they don't. #9 is my favorite number and i would very much like to have other players wearing that number throughout jackets history. my guess is that once vybes retires, fritsche takes that number. at which point, i will buy a specialized jersey.

vybes is great, no doubt.. but #9 > vybes

falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 03:22 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post

Great idea.
I see them doing the same thing with Shelley's jersey. Really.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Kfarschman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRETZKY_99 View Post
I've been watching Columbus games for a while and Vyborny seems to be a complete player.. PP, PK, and ES.. In my opinion, he's Jackets' best player this year by a long shot... I just wanted to know if anyone here agrees with this, and why ?
I agree.

Why? I wrote most my reasons here in 3rd to last and last post. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...an+crush+award

He's my second favorite hockey player second only to Forsberg.

Kfarschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 03:25 PM
cbj21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
I've said it for years, Vyborny is the most underrated player in the entire NHL.
Toatally agree to that . He was the only Jacket player that didnt play under par that second season and ever since that he has been Jackets most valuable and most underated player.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I see them doing the same thing with Shelley's jersey. Really.
I think Shelley has a jersey retired in Halifax

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 04:29 PM
DougKnowsBest

sweet, handyy got the hookup. that dru is a hell of a guy.

lets go jacket!!!

edit: i thought i was in the GDT....

yeah that vyborny is a hell of a player. He is the ultimate cerebral forward

Last edited by DougKnowsBest: 12-16-2006 at 04:44 PM.
DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 04:59 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I love Vybes. How could you not?

I got a couple of thoughts though. This year, he's struggled more than I'd like to see. A lot have, but I've certainly seen him play better.

On the national perspective of Vyborny, I do think he was underrated for a long time. But I actually think that after last season, he is regarded by non-CBJ fans correctly -- as a versitile, reliable top 6 forward. I think he's respected.

He's a mini Ron Francis (not in playing style, but in fan opinion) IMO, a guy who's been called underrated so many times that he's actually rated right where he should be.

Love the guy. Hope he heats up.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 05:14 PM
DentonFreeman

He hasn't played as well this year as I'd like from him, but that could just be because we struggled so much as a team early on. But the guy does a lot of things you don't notice, and I always look at the scoresheet and go, "whoa, Vyborny got an assist on that goal? I had no idea."

DentonFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 05:17 PM
hossua34
Mutt

Send a message via AIM to hossua34 Send a message via Yahoo to hossua34
Vyborny's always been one of my favorite Jackets, I'm just thrilled we've held onto him all these years. My only real complaint would be that he needs to take another shot or two per period instead of trying a pretty pass, because he really does have one of the best shots on the team. Other than that, he's the complete package, and very consistent.

I think I'll wear my #9 jersey tonight, actually.

hossua34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
I think Shelley has a jersey retired in Halifax
Yeah his jersey is in the Halifax Metro Centre rafters, along with Alex Tanguay and JS Giguere's.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 09:41 PM
Nashty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Yeah his jersey is in the Halifax Metro Centre rafters, along with Alex Tanguay and JS Giguere's.
i wanna see a pic of that

Nashty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:20 AM
CBJSlash

I know this might be considered crazy, but I've never been too crazy about Vybes.

He disappears too much for my tastes.

Not that he isn't good at what he does, those things just aren't the things I want him to do.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:57 AM
Hugg

I like Vybes but, and I hope this makes sense, I think he's become a little overrated among those who think he's underrated.

He's a solid NHL player. Probably a 3rd liner on a really good team.

I wish he'd shoot more.

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 01:14 AM
Casework

Vyborny is the type of player, for me, that is always a comfort to have out on the ice. Just the type of guy you can always count on to keep things under control, and to always know what he is doing. Kind of like a Fedorov that passes a lot. If Vyborny would shoot more, as others have said, he could easily have twice as many goals.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 02:22 AM
Mogilny89

In my opinion, David Vyborny is the most valuable player for the Blue Jackets in 90% of the games. THe other 10% is when Nash or Zherdev decide to dominate.

Vyborny plays in all situations, is top 10 in ice time for forwards in the NHL, and leads the team in points and assists. I don't know how he's not the best player we have.

What I love most about David is his puck control. He is so difficult to knock off the puck, and he's not a big dude! He buys time for Nash and contributes on most of Rick's goals in some way. I can understand that he's becoming less under rated, but there's no question he's a complete player, and he would definitely be much more than a 3rd liner on another NHL team. Geez, he captained the Czech Olympic team...give the guy his due credit.

This Bud's for you David, for being the truest of Blue Jackets

(Still too early to be talking about #9 in the rafters, but I'd love to see him earn that respect)

Mogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 05:01 AM
osucbj03

Send a message via AIM to osucbj03
I thought I'd heard "he needs to shoot more" for the last time when that idiot Gallant left.

Telling Vyborny to shoot more is like telling Nash and Z to wind up and take a slap shot.

Vyborny better understands his skill set than most players. He is a truly gifted hockey player, and part of that is mentally knowing the game inside and out. His patience (see: shootout goal against Cgy, semi-empty netter against Dal) is unbelievable and he shows it every shift. His patience creates space for other players- which leads them to be open. I don't see Vyborny passing up scoring opportunities to make a pretty pass (especially compared to someone like Hrdina), and I don't see Vyborny's lack of shooting costing us scoring chances- in fact, I see them creating more scoring chances.

Gallant wanted him to shoot more. Gallant didn't have a clue what talent he had on the ice. He treated Chimera the same as Nash and Zherdev the same as Vyborny. That's only partially relevent in the fact that I'm trying to show what effect it has on a player's game when you have them playing out of their comfort zone. Plus, I wanted an excuse to take a final jab at G

Also, Vybes has a less than impressive shooting percentage for a top 6 forward (less than Nash, Feds, Carter, Modin, Fritsche, Chim) so why would we want him shooting when he can find an open man who has a better shot than him?

Lastly, it seems he looks good with whomever he has played with over the years. There's a reason for that- Vybe's picks his role on the shift and executes. His style is something you build around- not change. Give him a shooter, don't make him a shooter.

osucbj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj0su04 View Post
I thought I'd heard "he needs to shoot more" for the last time when that idiot Gallant left.

Telling Vyborny to shoot more is like telling Nash and Z to wind up and take a slap shot.

Vyborny better understands his skill set than most players. He is a truly gifted hockey player, and part of that is mentally knowing the game inside and out. His patience (see: shootout goal against Cgy, semi-empty netter against Dal) is unbelievable and he shows it every shift. His patience creates space for other players- which leads them to be open. I don't see Vyborny passing up scoring opportunities to make a pretty pass (especially compared to someone like Hrdina), and I don't see Vyborny's lack of shooting costing us scoring chances- in fact, I see them creating more scoring chances.

Gallant wanted him to shoot more. Gallant didn't have a clue what talent he had on the ice. He treated Chimera the same as Nash and Zherdev the same as Vyborny. That's only partially relevent in the fact that I'm trying to show what effect it has on a player's game when you have them playing out of their comfort zone. Plus, I wanted an excuse to take a final jab at G

Also, Vybes has a less than impressive shooting percentage for a top 6 forward (less than Nash, Feds, Carter, Modin, Fritsche, Chim) so why would we want him shooting when he can find an open man who has a better shot than him?

Lastly, it seems he looks good with whomever he has played with over the years. There's a reason for that- Vybe's picks his role on the shift and executes. His style is something you build around- not change. Give him a shooter, don't make him a shooter.
I have to disagree... a little bit. Yes, obviously, we don't want Vyborny playing a role he isn't comfortable with. But let's be real about this... he has 4 less goals than Nash, with 25 less shots on goal. No one is asking him to shoot first, think second... but sometimes the best pass is a rebound off a shot attempt. Especially when guys like Nash, Carter, Modin, and Svitov are finally starting to pay the price down low to clean up those rebounds.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 11:28 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny89 View Post
In my opinion, David Vyborny is the most valuable player for the Blue Jackets in 90% of the games. THe other 10% is when Nash or Zherdev decide to dominate.

Vyborny plays in all situations, is top 10 in ice time for forwards in the NHL, and leads the team in points and assists. I don't know how he's not the best player we have.

What I love most about David is his puck control. He is so difficult to knock off the puck, and he's not a big dude! He buys time for Nash and contributes on most of Rick's goals in some way. I can understand that he's becoming less under rated, but there's no question he's a complete player, and he would definitely be much more than a 3rd liner on another NHL team. Geez, he captained the Czech Olympic team...give the guy his due credit.

This Bud's for you David, for being the truest of Blue Jackets

(Still too early to be talking about #9 in the rafters, but I'd love to see him earn that respect)
Double agree... the guy can skate!

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote