HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you think of Craig MacTavish?

View Poll Results: Is MacTavish doing a good job as Head Coach?
Yes! He's doing just fine thankyouverymuch 14 31.82%
I'm a little dissapointed, but I think he'll come through 17 38.64%
It's getting to the 'fish or cut bait' point sooner rather than later 7 15.91%
FIRE THE BUM! 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2003, 02:30 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
What do you think of Craig MacTavish?

After reading some mixed reviews of MacTavish so far this season from some Oiler fans, I'm interested in hearing what you folks think:

How's MacT doing?

Old
11-30-2003, 02:33 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
After reading some mixed reviews of MacTavish so far this season from some Oiler fans, I'm interested in hearing what you folks think:

How's MacT doing?
The less I say about him, the better. He makes so many boneheaded moves that it completely overshadows his good ones.

Old
11-30-2003, 02:35 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

Which of the following would best describe MacT?
Craig MacTavish is a very good coach. He isn't perfect but who is? That said, some of the criticism boarders on stupidity.

example:
He doesn't bring the young guys along well.
- ehem, that is all he has. He has lead an extremely young team to the playoff twice and to 2 90+ points seasons.

Old
11-30-2003, 07:13 PM
Walsher

The perfect match for the Oilers. A former member of the dynasty, a guy the players would look up to, and very hockey knowledgeable. To me you have to keep it within the organization - ie. Hire coaches that fans can relate too that played in this city. Simpson, Huddy, Moores (from the UofA), and GM Lowe offer great recognizability to the fans along with their wealth of knowledge. When the players stink the coaches look bad and right now the players are rotten.

Old
11-30-2003, 07:33 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

FTB

Hire a coach that isn't one of the 'good ol boys', at least temporarily before Mess comes available.

Old
11-30-2003, 07:37 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
FTB

Hire a coach that isn't one of the 'good ol boys', at least temporarily before Mess comes available.
Just because Mess is a legend doesn't mean he could do anything as a coach. I am guessing that the MacT haters also disliked him as a player. Mess would never come back to Edmonton anyways - he is a Ranger now and till he is finished with hockey.

Old
11-30-2003, 07:47 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Just because Mess is a legend doesn't mean he could do anything as a coach. I am guessing that the MacT haters also disliked him as a player. Mess would never come back to Edmonton anyways - he is a Ranger now and till he is finished with hockey.
MacTavish was not amazing as a player, but that's not to say I 'disliked' him. He just doesn't have the mentality, and apparently the coaching skill, to do what we need. Lowe was a much better coach, and even he wasn't amazing, fairly good though.

Mess has always had the mentality of a coach, is a proven leader, knows the offensive game and knows how to motivate young players. Ding ding ding, you have your coach.

Why wouldn't Messier come back to coach? I don't see him turning it down unless he got a better offer.

Old
11-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
MacTavish was not amazing as a player, but that's not to say I 'disliked' him. He just doesn't have the mentality, and apparently the coaching skill, to do what we need. Lowe was a much better coach, and even he wasn't amazing, fairly good though.

Mess has always had the mentality of a coach, is a proven leader, knows the offensive game and knows how to motivate young players. Ding ding ding, you have your coach.

Why wouldn't Messier come back to coach? I don't see him turning it down unless he got a better offer.
I agree Lowe was a good coach yet he couldn't get the team anywhere near 90 points if i'm not mistaken.

As for Mess coming back - he has had his chance a couple times already. When he signed in Vancouver he had an equal chance of coming here yet his response was "I want to go to a winner" yet that was when Vancouver stunk. Then again this summer but the cat hasn't come back and I bet he never will.

Old
11-30-2003, 08:00 PM
Cujo_31

MacT is doing just fine, he's a perfect fit for this young hockey club.

Old
11-30-2003, 08:11 PM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo_31
MacT is doing just fine, he's a perfect fit for this young hockey club.
i disagree, we need a veteran coach to teach the youngsters. Mac T may have like 4years or how many? But this team needs a strong coach like Mike Keenan, someone who isnt afraid to be mean to the players and doesnt cut slack to no one. He would bench stars to make them smarter. Didn't he do a good job on pronger if im not mistaken?? Maybe he can do teh same to brewer

Last edited by mrush: 11-30-2003 at 08:14 PM.
Old
11-30-2003, 08:13 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrush
i disagree, we need a veteran coach to teach the youngsters. Mac T may have like 4years or how many? But this team needs a strong coach like Mike Keane, someone who isnt afraid to be mean to the players and doesnt cut slack to no one. He would bench stars to make them smarter. Didn't he do a good job on pronger if im not mistaken?? Maybe he can do teh same to brewer
Mike Keane still plays so I hardly think he would be available to coach.

Old
11-30-2003, 08:14 PM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Mike Keane still plays so I hardly think he would be available to coach.
Mike keenan. i mean, my bad

Closed Thread