HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ribeiro 23pts, Niinimaa 2pts :(

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-17-2006, 01:04 PM
  #76
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytor4 View Post
i agree with you 100%. problem is that a lot of hab fans will defend the trade at any cost and will never admit that we could and should have got way more than braindead for ribs. people talk about cancers on teams but what happens when koviu takes a disliking to somebody else that threatens his job get rid of them too.
Give me a freaking break.This is the biggest load of crap. Yes Koivu runs this team. He brings in all his friends like Selanne and Lehtinen. Oh wait, he didn't. Montreal is having there best season in years. So i guess in your opinion, Koivu the GM is doing a fantastic job.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 01:18 PM
  #77
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytor4 View Post
i agree with you 100%. problem is that a lot of hab fans will defend the trade at any cost and will never admit that we could and should have got way more than braindead for ribs. people talk about cancers on teams but what happens when koviu takes a disliking to somebody else that threatens his job get rid of them too.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 01:29 PM
  #78
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,883
vCash: 500
Awards:
Hahahahaha Ribeiro "threatening" to take Koivu's job ahahahahahah

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 01:31 PM
  #79
Evil Ted
Registered User
 
Evil Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
Riberio should have fetched more then Niinimaa. Im not saying I want Ribs back though.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 02:28 PM
  #80
greatlakeshab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Riberio should have fetched more then Niinimaa. Im not saying I want Ribs back though.

The only team that might of thought highly of Ribs on ice performances would be the Sabres diving team

greatlakeshab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 05:08 PM
  #81
Stiffler
Registered User
 
Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St-Hubert
Country: Canada
Posts: 842
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Riberio should have fetched more then Niinimaa. Im not saying I want Ribs back though.
Well, how do you know? What else could we have gotten? I'm sure Gainey asked initially for Boucher and the Stars refused... Ribeiro had a bad reputation and only one above-60 points season. Furthermore, he had been sit because of his play in almost every season he has played in the NHL.. What should the Stars have given for Ribeiro?

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 05:42 PM
  #82
Quiet Robert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,262
vCash: 500
Another one of these threads?

Can you Ribs lovers please go play in traffic and give the rest of us a break? Or at least stop cheering for the Habs and go bother Dallas fans with your nonsensical ravings.

It's like you morons expected Ribeiro would stop scoring once he left. Newsflash dimwits: He's going to get around 60 points no matter where he plays. That doesn't mean he was worth keeping around. His 40% on faceoffs and lack of any type of effort or two way play were not welcome on this team.

For those of you complaining about return? What the hell were you expecting, Sergei Zubov? This basically confirms the suspicions that many of the sane members of this board had and still have: Ribeiro is not viewed very highly around the league and did not carry much value.

Small guys who don't try and don't get you much more than 60 points are not worth all that much. If Ribeiro was an elite offensive player capable of 95 points people might put up with his attitude and one dimensional play, but he's not. He's got very good offensive skills but little else. Geez, it's like you people think Ribeiro is some kind of special player. Are there really people out there who think that Ribeiro types are A) worth keeping around and B) hard to find?

Go cheer for the Stars, I'm sick of hearing you guys whine about a Mikey Ribs.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 05:44 PM
  #83
Bugsy
Registered User
 
Bugsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 547
vCash: 500
Gainey had him on the market forever............nobody really wanted him!

Dallas was always interested, but wasn't willing to give up anything of value. Before the season, Retardo's value was less than zero and Gainey was lucky to get a warm body for him. Retardo had to leave the Habs! He was a distraction and his lazy play was splitting the room.

Since the Puke has been gone, players were coming forward and saying how close and tiught the team is.

Retardo's offensive skills were never questioned. He is a 50-60 point player, but he is a soft player who can't play the PK and can't be relied on to play solid defensively. Dallas is using him as a PP specialist and playing him within his skillset. In Montreal, the media annointed him the french Gretzky and that is nothing but a distraction!

Retardo was lazy and said/did so many stupid things, he sealed his fate a long time ago........
ex: the playoffs when he did his floppy fish scene; admitting to the media he was dogging it while Koivu was out but saying he knew Julien couldn't bench him; going to a local radio station and trying to threaten on on-air personality because the guy was dissing him; being benched for long shifts and showing a poor attitude by continuing to take long shifts................

Puke Retardo is a putz!!

Bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 07:16 PM
  #84
Catch-22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 955
vCash: 500
Last time I checked, we did not acquire Niinimaa to produce points. This is a ridiculous thread. Ribeiro is not even worth Niinimaa to most teams and that's why we couldn't get anything more for him.

Gainey is obviously a lot better GM than anybody on these boards and while that shouldn't stifle a discussion and debate, far be it for anybody - especially somebody not involved in the negotiations - to start yapping about how much more we could have gotten for a one-dimensional player like Ribeiro. I think it's fairly obvious that ultrasoft Ribeiro-types don't have much value. I think most people agree. And obviously Gainey agrees. That's all there is to it, folks.

The scary thing is that if it were up to the Ribeiro apologists, they wouldn;t simply have held our for more. Ribeiro would still be playing on the Habs. What a disaster!

What's worse, these people were calling for Koivu's head last March. Apparently there was a "New Ribeiro" and they thought Koivu should be sold down the river so this new Ribeiro could take over his rightful place on the first line (man , it makes me mad thinking about this!). My memory isn't short. These people were ready to trade Koivu last year in favour of Ribeiro. Incredible! I always try to avoid ad hominem attacks but how do these people expect us to take them seriously now, in evaluating Ribeiro's worth?

.


Last edited by Catch-22: 12-17-2006 at 07:31 PM.
Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 07:51 PM
  #85
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg
 
Souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Le Creuset
Country: France
Posts: 3,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
I'm obviously thrilled that the team is excelling; I don't see what that has to do with the fact that the trade itself wasn't a very good one. Even if you think Ribeiro had to go, I don't think it's crazy to ask why we had to trade for a multi-million dollar 7th defenseman, when there are plenty that make close to minimum that would have left us with more cap room during the season if we had to make moves.

I agree Ribeiro probably wouldn't have made us any better this year (considering our awesome start), but I don't see any games that Niinimaa won for us, either. So, criticizing this specific trade doesn't mean that I think Ribeiro would be a soooooperstar here and would have made us 32-0.

That's faulty logic.

The truth of the damn matter is that the trade was a poor one. I'm not sitting here saying Gainey should go because of it; I love the guy and most of his moves have been very solid, and he deserves a lot of credit for the kind of team we have now, a fear-inducing team that never gives up and keeps finding ways to win.

This does not negate the fact that the Ribeiro-Niinimaa trade was not the best move the team could have made. Somehow, most people on this board seem to react angrily to this, for no good reason whatsoever.
I admit that I didn't much like the trade at the time.

1. I thought it was overly optimistic that Plekanec would fill the 2nd line duties.

2. I thought Niinimaa was finished, washed-up, overpaid trash.

In hindsight, I can't complain about the trade. I have no doubt that there simply weren't any better offers out there. All last year Gainey tried to deal him. Anyone looking for a Ribeiro-type for free could've signed Arnason as a FA. The only way to trade him was to take back an unwanted player of at least equal salary. I can't see any reason to think otherwise.

Niinimaa is limited and prone to errors and penalties, but he's battled and served his role as injury insurance well. And he will serve that role well down the stretch and in the playoffs. It looks like he's respected by his teammates, despite his limitations, and I haven't heard a single complaint from him or about him in terms of team dynamic/chemistry. I'd much rather have Niinimaa as the 7th/8th D for depth on the roster over Ribeiro and Latendresse or whoever as the 14th/15th forward (nevermind Lapierre and Kostitsyn).

And utlimately it does come down to the Habs' current record. Unless keeping Ribeiro or trading him for something else would have resulted in a better record, then the deal was a good one, probably the best in the circumstances. I didn't think so at the time, but it looks that way now.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 08:00 PM
  #86
Pere Noel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,438
vCash: 500
To get a band-aid (Niinimaa) for a few games, was well worth it to trade Ribeiro.

Addition by substraction.

No more unprofessional Ribeiro.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 08:00 PM
  #87
Stefan_Latulippe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil666 View Post
Watch him choke with Turco in the playoffs.
You mean choking like Ryder?

Stefan_Latulippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 08:17 PM
  #88
Roots73
Registered User
 
Roots73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 285
vCash: 500
Seriously I just don't get some of you. We've got the second most points in the Eastern Conference and there are still some out there that moan about the "loss" of funky Chicken-n-Ribs.

And Stefan... if Ryder has the same number of points as Ribs does that mean he's a choker too? Go cheer for the Stars.

Roots73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 08:21 PM
  #89
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
Last time I checked, we did not acquire Niinimaa to produce points. This is a ridiculous thread. Ribeiro is not even worth Niinimaa to most teams and that's why we couldn't get anything more for him.

Gainey is obviously a lot better GM than anybody on these boards and while that shouldn't stifle a discussion and debate, far be it for anybody - especially somebody not involved in the negotiations - to start yapping about how much more we could have gotten for a one-dimensional player like Ribeiro. I think it's fairly obvious that ultrasoft Ribeiro-types don't have much value. I think most people agree. And obviously Gainey agrees. That's all there is to it, folks.

The scary thing is that if it were up to the Ribeiro apologists, they wouldn;t simply have held our for more. Ribeiro would still be playing on the Habs. What a disaster!

What's worse, these people were calling for Koivu's head last March. Apparently there was a "New Ribeiro" and they thought Koivu should be sold down the river so this new Ribeiro could take over his rightful place on the first line (man , it makes me mad thinking about this!). My memory isn't short. These people were ready to trade Koivu last year in favour of Ribeiro. Incredible! I always try to avoid ad hominem attacks but how do these people expect us to take them seriously now, in evaluating Ribeiro's worth?

.
Ribeiro on the team till the end of the year imo wouldn't have been a bad thing... At the end of the season Grabovski or a UFA will take Plekanec's second line spot anyway. Ribeiro would've clearly done better on the 2nd line and 2nd PP, but it's only 1 year... and we're heading in a good direction by the looks of it. Nothing to complain about really, but I would've rather had a pick (even a 4th or 5th) before Niinimaa.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 08:22 PM
  #90
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Those complaining about the lost of Ribeiro are probably the same that wanted Perreault back after he racked a couple of pts in his first few games with Phoenix..

This game is so much more than getting some pts.. You have to have what it takes to compete at a high level.. Ribs and Perreault are simply not quality NHLers, too many weakness in their game, especially Perreault who is probably the biggest impostor ever.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 08:25 PM
  #91
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots73 View Post
Seriously I just don't get some of you. We've got the second most points in the Eastern Conference and there are still some out there that moan about the "loss" of funky Chicken-n-Ribs.

And Stefan... if Ryder has the same number of points as Ribs does that mean he's a choker too? Go cheer for the Stars.
Ryder and Ribs have shown that they aren't Playoff performers, but that could possibly change... One of Ryder or Samsonov or Kovy shouldn't be with the club next year, either that or Latendresse will stay on the fourth .

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 08:28 PM
  #92
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Those complaining about the lost of Ribeiro are probably the same that wanted Perreault back after he racked a couple of pts in his first few games with Phoenix..

This game is so much more than getting some pts.. You have to have what it takes to compete at a high level.. Ribs and Perreault are simply not quality NHLers, too many weakness in their game, especially Perreault who is probably the biggest impostor ever.
No, you're totally right, scoring has nothing to do with winning games.

It isn't ALL the game...but it's a big part... and a 60pt Ribeiro qualifies as a quality nhler especialy as a 2nd liner.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 08:30 PM
  #93
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Ribeiro on the team till the end of the year imo wouldn't have been a bad thing... At the end of the season Grabovski or a UFA will take Plekanec's second line spot anyway. Ribeiro would've clearly done better on the 2nd line and 2nd PP, but it's only 1 year... and we're heading in a good direction by the looks of it. Nothing to complain about really, but I would've rather had a pick (even a 4th or 5th) before Niinimaa.


If you like having a soft inconsistent second line its your thing.. In Pleks you get a player who has what it takes to make our second line a pretty solid one.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 08:49 PM
  #94
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
No, you're totally right, scoring has nothing to do with winning games.

It isn't ALL the game...but it's a big part... and a 60pt Ribeiro qualifies as a quality nhler especialy as a 2nd liner.
Simple question. Does Ribeiro make this team any better than it currently is?

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 08:55 PM
  #95
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
Simple question. Does Ribeiro make this team any better than it currently is?
He makes the second line a more offensive threat, he also would make that the 2nd PP isn't a complete and total waste, which it currently is.

I don't see how he doesn't.

Everyone can complain about how the guy was such a poison in the dressing room and yadda yadda...even though he was one of the few to engage in group activities once his 2 amigos left (soccer, etc.). I don't know weither Gainey thought that Ribeiro was going to be worse than last year, if Plekanec was going to be so much better or if he just thought that Niinimaa could return to the form he was with the Oilers.

Who knows... But it's useless to discuss the ifs and buts when the trade has already been made and their's no way to know how we would be doing had it not occured.

I'm looking forward to the future though. Grabovski and Kostitsyn are doing great in the AHL and should both have a very solid shot at making the team next season.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 08:56 PM
  #96
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post


If you like having a soft inconsistent second line its your thing.. In Pleks you get a player who has what it takes to make our second line a pretty solid one.
Rofl, Cuz Plekanec isn't soft and makes the second line consistent.....

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 09:02 PM
  #97
Nyclaus
Registered User
 
Nyclaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Good Vibes!
Country: Canada
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
Back on Ribs case again....ahhh people let it go! Or get

Nyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 09:04 PM
  #98
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
He makes the second line a more offensive threat, he also would make that the 2nd PP isn't a complete and total waste, which it currently is.

I don't see how he doesn't.

Everyone can complain about how the guy was such a poison in the dressing room and yadda yadda...even though he was one of the few to engage in group activities once his 2 amigos left (soccer, etc.). I don't know weither Gainey thought that Ribeiro was going to be worse than last year, if Plekanec was going to be so much better or if he just thought that Niinimaa could return to the form he was with the Oilers.

Who knows... But it's useless to discuss the ifs and buts when the trade has already been made and their's no way to know how we would be doing had it not occured.

I'm looking forward to the future though. Grabovski and Kostitsyn are doing great in the AHL and should both have a very solid shot at making the team next season.
This team isn't much different than last years team, yet the record is drastically different.

Huet is a big factor, however, you can't tell me Montreal is somehow gonna have a much better PP which is already the best in the league. Nor can you tell me that there isn't simply a different, for lack of a words, feeling this year. Does that have to do with Ribeiro, or winning, or both, who knows.

But the fact is, people need to get over it. Ribeiro is gone. The record speaks for itself, and obviously Gainey didn't want him here. Enjoy the team that is here, and putting on a hell of a show most nights.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 09:05 PM
  #99
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,960
vCash: 500
Seriously.....I was part of the other thread like this and it's pretty clear who's on who's side and there's nothing to debate 'cause we're all going to stick with our idea.....

All the threads that exists are either there for info, or to debate.....

The Ribs threads do not serve any purpose anymore, was worthed having 1 thread about it but now it's really time to move on.....

I guess it's better when we lose, that way we have enough time talking about who we want to trade instead of winning and talking about who we did trade in the past....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 09:11 PM
  #100
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
No, you're totally right, scoring has nothing to do with winning games.

It isn't ALL the game...but it's a big part... and a 60pt Ribeiro qualifies as a quality nhler especialy as a 2nd liner.
By that logic a guy like Perreault is a good second line center as well?

Modano is injured, its evident Ribs will have plenty chances to reach pts, just like the year he got 65 pts with the Habs, that year Koivu has been injured during a long stretch and Julien used Ribs on every first PP unit all the year long cause we were lacking pure talent.. When Zednik is on your PP1 it says all... During the offseason I remember some fans saying Ribs had the potential to be a 80-90 pts player lol... I was saying exactly what Im saying now... Calm down, we will be more skilled up front and Ribs wont play on the first PP unit again and if Koivu remains healthy expect a signifiant drop in his production.. The season after, as expected, Julien didnt "boost" our PP like he did the season before, was alterning our 2 first line, Ribs got 51 pts.. -6..

51 pts is still decent for a second line center but if you overlook the stats and watch this game, Ribs always had alot of trouble to compete at a high level of competition, was always struggling against the best opposition lines and it was more evident against the best teams in the league rolling 3 solid lines..

The last playoffs was the perfect example.. Ribeiro was looking out of place, not quick enough to play against the Hurricanes, even Jean Perron could see it... Pleks has been one of our best fowards in that serie, facing the Stall line and generating a ton of scoring xhances all the serie long limiting the other line to basically nothing 5 on 5.. 4 pts in 6 games..

Do you seriously think Gainey would have traded Ribs if he thought he was valuable enough to this team to help us to win?? Do you seriously think we could have had better than Niinimaa for Ribs? If so, you are totally disconnected of the reality... Ribs, while skilled with the puck, has no shot and isnt fast and strong enough to compete at a high level of competition plain simple.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.