HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Fire Renney? (Merged)

View Poll Results: Would You Fire Renney
Yes, I probably would. Shake up is needed/a New direction is needed 52 51.49%
No I probably wouldn't. Rough patch things will turn around/Way too early for this, give him time. 49 48.51%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-17-2006, 09:42 AM
MrAlfie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Lets trade Lundqvist and put Jagr on waivers while we are at it too!

Maybe send Renney to Hartford for a 2 week conditioning stint
after last night a lundqvist trade is not far off thanks to renney.

we can consider ourselfs lucky if he doesnt pull a roy

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 09:50 AM
TheRedressor

Renney is a great teacher, but he is not a winner (Mike Keenan)

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 09:55 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Renney is a great teacher, but he is not a winner (Mike Keenan)
Maybe it's time to remove the winner label from Keenan. Post '94 he's done nothing.

12-17-2006, 09:55 AM
TheRedressor

honestly, besides the Lundqvist move last night and benching prucha/pock it was not Renneys fault. We are crusing by with a swiss cheese defense. If the trade is available, we need to get a #1 dman.

Old
12-17-2006, 09:57 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Maybe it's time to remove the winner label from Keenan. Post '94 he's done nothing.
He made Joe Thornton the player he is today. Joe developed tremendously under Keenan. Ditto for Jokinen who was a COMPLETE BUST until Keenan held him ACCOUNTABLE.

Old
12-17-2006, 10:00 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
He made Joe Thornton the player he is today. Joe developed tremendously under Keenan. Ditto for Jokinen who was a COMPLETE BUST until Keenan held him ACCOUNTABLE.
He hasn't won a thing and has somehow managed to lose every job he's had since (with his tail between his legs).

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 10:02 AM
TheRedressor

i am not claiming that he has been winning cups, but he is the type of accountable coach that this team needs and I can't think of another one out there who is better.

Old
12-17-2006, 10:03 AM
The Thomas J.*

Everyone is Killing Renney & want Him Fired, I'm reading lots of postings about how he throws young players under the bus, The team is playing the players tha are reayd to play in the NHL Imommen is getting his shot FINALLY & prucha has been playin on a top line until recently, Renneyy cant get on the ice and score for the guy. we have a 2nd year goalie & Tyutin out there.

Not quite sure what else Renney could do. I guess they could put everyone out there from Hartford and Jr.s, than we could be the Penguins. (Who I think are really talented)

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 10:04 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Deville View Post
Everyone is Killing Renney & want Him Fired, I'm reading lots of postings about how he throws young players under the bus, The team is playing the players tha are reayd to play in the NHL Imommen is getting his shot FINALLY & prucha has been playin on a top line until recently, Renneyy cant get on the ice and score for the guy. we have a 2nd year goalie & Tyutin out there.

Not quite sure what else Renney could do. I guess they could put everyone out there from Hartford and Jr.s, than we could be the Penguins. (Who I think are really talented)
my problem is that he is not holding veterans accountable.

Old
12-17-2006, 10:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
i am not claiming that he has been winning cups, but he is the type of accountable coach that this team needs and I can't think of another one out there who is better.
Boy if Keenan hadn't won in '94, he's legacy would be vastly different. Especially with all the behind the scenes things he was pulling.

There has to be a reason why Keenan can't keep a job...

Old
12-17-2006, 10:09 AM
PanniniClaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Who benches the coach?

Look, I'm not angry at Renney, or, perhaps a little, but the reason I want to see him go is I don't think he gets the best out of this team. I think he constantly misuses players, I think he takes bad coaching decisions and he seems to be outcoached by other coaches on a regular basis.

Look, he's a great guy with a big heart, I don't think he should be fired, he could be a great assistant coach. But, I don't want to have him as main coach. With him comes mediocrity.

Exactly what has Renney made work in this team in 1.5 seasons, apart from riding Jagr and Lundqvist (and now also Shanahan)? I don't see this team as a playoff contender. The performance is incredibly inconsistent, which points to the main problem in this team: no consistency. Consistency starts with the coach and there is none. And don't even start me on the accountability...
Consistency? How many teams in the NHL are consistent? This league is a professional league where winning at a .650 clip is damn good. Do you watch the rest of the league play on a regular basis? I watch each team every week at least and can tell you there are many uneven performances- that is hockey. Pucks bounce , split second decisions gone wrong can end up in a goal or go completely unnoticed if the goalie makes the save. The team is not at the top end talent wise but you guys seem to feel it is. Fire Renney then , who is next- who takes over?

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 10:18 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
Consistency? How many teams in the NHL are consistent? This league is a professional league where winning at a .650 clip is damn good. Do you watch the rest of the league play on a regular basis? I watch each team every week at least and can tell you there are many uneven performances- that is hockey. Pucks bounce , split second decisions gone wrong can end up in a goal or go completely unnoticed if the goalie makes the save. The team is not at the top end talent wise but you guys seem to feel it is. Fire Renney then , who is next- who takes over?

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! The NHL schedule is an 82 game grind of ups and downs. The truth of the matter is, we know what the rangers need, a true playmaking to help Shanahan (which, IMO, Immonen is not) and at least one top four D-man. Getting that center moves players like Cullen and Immonen down to the 3rd line where their respective offensive abilities become a plus, not a minus. Get a quality D-man, and the need to haveplayers like Rozsival, Malik and Rachunek, play over their heads, or Kaspar to play at all, becomes greatly diminished.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 10:20 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
What I am more dismayed over is that we have a team that obviously, or so we are told, is riddled with the flu. Ok, that's fine, happens every tear and some teams get hit harder than others, so why are we sending flu ridden players on the ice during games? Do we not have options down in Hartford? Korpedo? Dubinsky? Moore? Callahan? Byers? Baranka? Lampman? Pock? Dawes? Prucha? This is where I now have a big woody with Renney and Management.
Korpikoski needs to learn to finish... coming to the NHL now would severely delay or even end his offensive development. Check Dubinsky's and Moore's stats (for the record, stats mean the world in the situation), Callahan is nowhere near ready, Byers is a fourth line player anyhow, Lampman does nothing, Pock hasn;'t impressed enough. Nor have Dawes and Prucha. Calling any of them up would be counterproductive.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 10:21 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! The NHL schedule is an 82 game grind of ups and downs. The truth of the matter is, we know what the rangers need, a true playmaking to help Shanahan (which, IMO, Immonen is not) and at least one top four D-man. Getting that center moves players like Cullen and Immonen down to the 3rd line where their respective offensive abilities become a plus, not a minus. Get a quality D-man, and the need to haveplayers like Rozsival, Malik and Rachunek, play over their heads, or Kaspar to play at all, becomes greatly diminished.
Unfortunately the ups and downs are a little higher and lower around here. After the Stars game the Rangers were a serious Cup contender. After the Leafs game we need to clean house and fire the coach because this team is AWFUL.

Old
12-17-2006, 10:28 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
Well, to be honest, I wrote that post a little bit early in the morning for me. Instead of accountability, I wrote consistency for some reason... many big words for a foreigner you know. I edited it later and tried to repair a trainwreck, but it was a little bit so-so (just added accountability). I could just have edited consistency with accountability altogether, but thought I would mess it up if someone had answered to it.. like you did. So I waited until someone asked me what the hell I meant to correct it. So now you know, my bad.

I've corrected it now.

As for who takes over after Renney, well, I could suggest one of many suggestions who to bring up.

Slavomir Lener, coach for LuleŚ Hockey in SEL. He has been a coach since 1979, has been assistant coach for Florida Panthers(92-95) and Calgary Flames(99-02), won a World Championships(96) and a Olympic Gold with Czech Republic(98), so he's quite experienced. Since he's a European coach, he'll never coach in NHL I guess (as a head coach), but what I've seen from him, he's very competent and he's done a very, very good job with LuleŚ. They've transformed from a team that barely passed managed to stay in the league to one of the tougher competitors.

He is European, but his coaching style is very transatlantic. He has brought the best of two worlds I guess. He wants to have a solid, hardworking team with disciplined defense, usually with two scoring lines and two defensive lines.

Now, before you bash me because most of you probably never heard of the guy, he is a very special coach who can think out of the box. If you ask him to say a number between 1-52, he says 54, sort of. He made alot of people in SEL raise their eyebrows for some of the moves he made.
How about when he switched goaltenders several times in a game (happened a couple of times)? The answer of Lener to that question? To save time. That LuleŚ had all their best players in the first- and second lines and that all those goalie changes gave them extra time to recover. If that made the players in the other team lose focus, great, but his own players knew of it of course.
"We have to work with the material we have"
He's not afraid to cut icetime and give extra icetime, if someone is hot or cold. His goal with his session in Sweden is to gather the best from that hockey culture, to form his own coaching style from all his experience.

He's interested in another trip to NHL, but this time he wants to be responsible for a team and not just an assistant coach.

Last edited by Chimp: 12-17-2006 at 10:59 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 10:28 AM
DutchShamrock

I don't see how the Stars game made us contenders, any one that says that doesn't know what they are watching. That was an awful display. We won because of Henrik and Henrik alone.

And I have to echo Mc Alfie, this isn't about last night. And it isn't a true coup, it's just raising the question. Because performances like that open doors to these discussions. He's not going to get fired because he is in first and he did make the playoffs. But the one thing that these season is exposing is that when Jagr and Lundqvist aren't in top form this team looks bad. When the team has a bad mental game (penalties, turnovers, coverage) we look like the worst team in the league. I don't think it's too much to ask to have the team display at least the basic fundamentals.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 10:30 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Korpikoski needs to learn to finish... coming to the NHL now would severely delay or even end his offensive development. Check Dubinsky's and Moore's stats (for the record, stats mean the world in the situation), Callahan is nowhere near ready, Byers is a fourth line player anyhow, Lampman does nothing, Pock hasn;'t impressed enough. Nor have Dawes and Prucha. Calling any of them up would be counterproductive.
I'm glad to see someone taking a patient approach to the players in Hartford. I'd rather see those guys been given the proper time to find their game professionally, then use them to provide some perceived remedy for the NHL club which, on most occasions, has done alright for itself. I wanted Dubinsky to make the team as much as anyone did, but, after looking at his slow start, its apparent he needed the time to get his footing professionally.

Old
12-17-2006, 10:32 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I don't see how the Stars game made us contenders, any one that says that doesn't know what they are watching. That was an awful display. We won because of Henrik and Henrik alone.

And I have to echo Mc Alfie, this isn't about last night. And it isn't a true coup, it's just raising the question. Because performances like that open doors to these discussions. He's not going to get fired because he is in first and he did make the playoffs. But the one thing that these season is exposing is that when Jagr and Lundqvist aren't in top form this team looks bad. When the team has a bad mental game (penalties, turnovers, coverage) we look like the worst team in the league. I don't think it's too much to ask to have the team display at least the basic fundamentals.

Under most circumstances, teams look bad when their top players don't play well. If Brodeur has a bad night, the Debbies look mediocre. Buffalo is one of the few teams that has complete homogeny throughout its lineup.

Old
12-17-2006, 10:40 AM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
seriously, why dont you try to understand thats its not just about ONE night of bad hockey?
are you overreading those posts on purpose?

last night was just the icing on the cake.
Renney should not be the headcoach.
Have you been watching this season at all? Yes, Renney has made some bad mistakes, but this team has just come off a 5 game win streak and is in first place in the division.

How is that bad? Explain it to me PLEASE.

The fans dont run the show, the management does. And when your team is in first place and has been doing good since November to say the coach is to be fired is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard.

I know for a fact that Renney isnt going to take this team to the next level, but you guys need to stop overreacting.

Ok, I know Prucha should play more, but the main reason why you hate the guy is because everyone on this board save a few wants Renney to play the underdeveloped prospects in Hartford. This team cant have a superstar in each spot. There are going to be some bad players on each team, thats something you have to deal with when watching sports. Baranka isnt going to get called up and become a stud in a month, Dawes isnt going to score all those goals you wanted, Montoya isnt going to be this team's next goaltender.

Face reality and deal with it.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 10:45 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
Have you been watching this season at all? Yes, Renney has made some bad mistakes, but this team has just come off a 5 game win streak and is in first place in the division.
I'm not a huge Renney booster, but I'm inclined to agree. The team is 7 games over .500. Looking at the roster - especially the makeup of the defense and the bottom 6 - that win/loss record looks about right.

Would Scott Bowman have gotten more from this team's roster? Yeah.
Would 80% of the other coaches in the league? I'm inclined to say no.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 10:55 AM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post

Many teams in this league are built around a few players.

When Crosby gets injured, do you think Pittsburgh is going to play well?

What about the Flyers and Forsberg?

Im surprised everyone is blaming the coach and not Sather. Renney has to make due with what hes got and for defense that isnt much. Sather is the one who needs to mix up the D corps. Pock should be brought up, but no other defensemen on Hartford are ready for the NHL.

NEWSFLASH! Theres no such thing as a perfect season. Your going to lose, your going to hate the coach, your going to have some blowout losses, but each team experiences the same thing each year.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Chimp

Well, I am not one of those who wants Renney to play a zillion of Hartford players. What I do want from him though is:
- Accountability (the almighty repeated word). If Malik or whoever screws up 10 times in a game, you tell him
1. "don't do that, those things costs us games." After the game, you bring up the game on a VCR and says: "In that situation, do like this instead", etc.
2. If he still screws up, you give him less ice time.
3. If he still screws up, you bench him a couple of shifts, then the rest of the game.
4. If he still screws up, you scratch him.
5. If he still screws up, you dump him. My feeling is Renney hasn't even passed step 1 yet.

- Bringing out the best of each player. Oh boy.
- Actively coaching this team. He reminds me of the old coach we had in the National Team in Sweden, who finally got fired after all mediocrity. Sure, he won games, but not the important ones, because he was inept to handle them.

"How can you complain when we are in the lead in the atlantic division?" you ask. Well, that's because I've felt Rangers have played a solid, good game perhaps 3-4 of these 34 games. The rest feels like winning because we have a hot first line, Shanahan and sometimes a hot goalie saving our ***. Numerous of our wins have been the "let's look like zombies for 2 periods and then play hockey in the 3rd." You don't win games that way in the long run.

I complain mainly because we have an absolutely dreadful defense, still, after 1.5 seasons. One of the worst defenses I've seen. Nothing has been corrected, still, after about 120 games. Even when we lead the atlantic division, I almost want to say "this is not a playoff team."
When some individual effort in the 3rd period hits the post instead, we will lose more games if this is not corrected. We lead the atlantic, yes. But it's 5 points down to be out of the playoff spot. And when NJ and Pittsburgh have played as many games as us, we could be tied in the lead or up by one single point.

And, god forbid, if we get an injury on a key player, let's say Jagr or Shanahan, this team will not survive. Dallas does, Buffalo does, we will not. That's how fragile this teambuild is.

Last edited by Chimp: 12-17-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
I'm not a huge Renney booster, but I'm inclined to agree. The team is 7 games over .500. Looking at the roster - especially the makeup of the defense and the bottom 6 - that win/loss record looks about right.

Would Scott Bowman have gotten more from this team's roster? Yeah.
Would 80% of the other coaches in the league? I'm inclined to say no.
Agreed. Renney's not going anywhere unless this team falls out of contention. There isn't a coach in the league with decision-making that's always impeccable. What most concerns me is his handling of goalies. Given that one them is a guy the Rangers are building around, I think it's a pretty big deal.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:56 PM
robertch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
Get this guy outta here, I have never seen such bad coaching decisions and Im not even talking about not sitting Malik , leaving Pock and Prucha out of the game, playing Orr, etc. etc.

But you CANT embarass the future of this organization (lundqvist) like he is doing right now.

I dont really care what others think, but I want Renney to go along with Malik and Sather if he doesnt get us a decent D-Man anytime soon.

I think Renney is doing a fine job. He handles the media well (important in NYC), gets a lot out of his best players, and seems to have a system. He may not be the guy who can bring us a cup, but I think he's the right man at this time.

Every coach makes mistakes, but I see a team that plays solid competitive hockey on a consistent basis (let's face it every club has a bad game). Jagr is doing his thing, and Nylander and Straka are on pace for career seasons. Overall I think this team looks BETTER this year that last. Aside from last night's horrow show, this team has shown they can compete with the best teams in the NHL (B-lo, Anaheim, etc), holds the division lead, and, perhaps most importantly, is exciting to watch. And, this without without the heroic, world class, gold medal, calibre goaltending and one man scoring from Jags.

So, Renny's been fine in my book. You've always gotta look for ways to improve the team/system (I'll save that for another thread), and you can't ignore errors in judgement or bad play, but I think there is a lot to be pleased with here this season.

Last edited by robertch: 12-17-2006 at 01:04 PM.
robertch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 01:38 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Please re-read what I wrote. Nowhere did I say bring them to stay. If we are racked with the flu we can make moves. That is what I am saying. How can you say that Prucha has not impressed? Do you honestly think he was a one year wonder? If he is, pray tell what kind of game has Hossa shown? Hall?

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote