HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kings get Straka...

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2003, 06:25 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
Don't underestimate the effect large contracts have on reducing trade value in today's NHL. The pens did well considering this.
I am not. But 4.35 million this year with 1/4 of it done will leave 3.3 or so for LA to pick up for a guy that once he played with some folks that dont get labeled career AHL'ers making NHL salary since they are after all cheap he had 95 pts 00/01 season clearly a bargain for a player that finished 4th overall in scoring.

Of course his production is down since 2000/01 season but look on what he is playing with in Pittsburgh and you should call 911 since those around him in last season have close to no pulse in regards of hockey talent/skill

Old
11-30-2003, 06:26 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zherdev
This is a good deal for both teams, but I like it from a Pittsburgh point of view a little bit more. This pretty much locks up a very high pick in the next couple of years...
Excellent trade for both teams. Pittsburgh gets a defenseman (Any defenseman will do at this point) and a very good LW prospect. Plus, the money saved should mean Fleury stays in Pittsburgh for as long as they want, which is good because he's clearly one of their 2 best goalies in the organization right now and to send him back would NOT be a good thing for the fans.

For L.A. Straka helps the offense and probably means they aren't counting on Allison or Deadmarsh at all for this season. Plus, Straka's game should suit several other Kings very well.

Very nice move by both clubs.

Old
11-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Frolov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfinklives
That question is a bit unfair... name the 5 players, because Colorados top 3 centers are a lot different than the Penguins top 3 centers for example... the only players I know of on the Kings who have missed signifigant time are Deadmarsh, Allison and Palffy... who else?
Allison
Deadmarsh
Palffy
Stumpel
Armstrong was our #1 center when Allison went out.

Old
11-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
I'm not positive, but pretty sure, that the worst team in the league has only won the draft lottery once in the history of the lottery. Not the best odds for the Pens.
I think both Chris Phillips and Joe Thornton were drafted 1st overall by last-place teams. Can't think of anybody else. I could of course be wrong.

It still does not change the odds. They remain at 50% no matter what past history tells us.

Old
11-30-2003, 06:28 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
The odds of gettin both are not even close to 50% even if they finish last both seasons. The best chance they have in one season of gettin either is 25%, and as you add in the extra draft year, the percentage would either stay the same or drop down to like 13% or something along those lines. They at best would have a 50% chance of gettin one first overall between the two years.
Uh, what the hell? If you finish last, you have a 50% chance at the 1st overall pick. Let's say Pittsburgh finishes last this season and next season. That gives them a 25% chance of getting Ovechkin and Crosby, a 50% chance of getting one of them, and a 25% chance of not getting either.

Old
11-30-2003, 06:33 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
The odds of gettin both are not even close to 50% even if they finish last both seasons. The best chance they have in one season of gettin either is 25%, and as you add in the extra draft year, the percentage would either stay the same or drop down to like 13% or something along those lines. They at best would have a 50% chance of gettin one first overall between the two years.
The #30 team doesn't have to win the lottery to retain the #1 pick.

I could be wrong about the numbers, but if the odds of the last team winning the lottery is 25%, then their chances are further enhanced by the presence of the teams in the #6-#14 slots, since their winning wouldn't affect the top pick. I though I'd summed those numbers to about 25%, making the total odds for the last team to retain the pick at 50%.

And I didn't say 50% for both, I said 50% for either.

But again, I could be wrong, and I hope someone would correct me if that's the case.

Old
11-30-2003, 06:36 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Another boneheaded move by Dave Taylor. Like Los Angeles needs more injury-prone forwards. I give him three games before he goes down on IR...

and had he gone to Vancouver you would be hailing Burke as the second coming

Old
11-30-2003, 06:40 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
and had he gone to Vancouver you would be hailing Burke as the second coming
Uh, no. I'd like Martin Straka to stay the hell away from a Canuck uniform. He's like an even more overpaid version of Andrew Cassels.

Old
11-30-2003, 06:41 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
The #30 team doesn't have to win the lottery to retain the #1 pick.

I could be wrong about the numbers, but if the odds of the last team winning the lottery is 25%, then their chances are further enhanced by the presence of the teams in the #6-#14 slots, since their winning wouldn't affect the top pick. I though I'd summed those numbers to about 25%, making the total odds for the last team to retain the pick at 50%.

And I didn't say 50% for both, I said 50% for either.

But again, I could be wrong, and I hope someone would correct me if that's the case.
Is this right?(assuming last place both years.)

chance of getting both: 6.25%
chance of getting one but not the other:56.25%
chance of getting neither: 37.5%

Last edited by FacelessButcher: 11-30-2003 at 06:47 PM.
Old
11-30-2003, 06:41 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Bolt Fan
I am not. But 4.35 million this year with 1/4 of it done will leave 3.3 or so for LA to pick up for a guy that once he played with some folks that dont get labeled career AHL'ers making NHL salary since they are after all cheap he had 95 pts 00/01 season clearly a bargain for a player that finished 4th overall in scoring.

Of course his production is down since 2000/01 season but look on what he is playing with in Pittsburgh and you should call 911 since those around him in last season have close to no pulse in regards of hockey talent/skill
Considering the Penguins are in financial problems and he's tied up for not only 4.35 this year but 4.7 next year...it needed to be done.

Old
11-30-2003, 06:43 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
The last place team has a 25% chance of winning the lottery and a 23.2% chance of someone outside of the bottom 5 winning the lottery thus ensuring them a #1 pick.

Old
11-30-2003, 06:46 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I just noticed that Straka has 0 goals in November and is a minus 14 in November (minus 16 overall). Hopefully the Kings will be able to surround him with some better talent. Perhaps a Straka - Stumpel - Plaffy line?

Old
11-30-2003, 06:47 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin
Considering the Penguins are in financial problems and he's tied up for not only 4.35 this year but 4.7 next year...it needed to be done.

If you are that much in trouble on the $$ SELL your team and move it out of the town that can not support even a 26 million payroll team. The deal is disgusting.

A deal like this did not need to get done a player that when he had something we can label talented enough to play in the NHL he finished 4th FOURTH overall in scoring and getting those numbers for a measly 4 million is a BARGAIN

Old
11-30-2003, 06:49 PM
Superstar Shane

These should be the odds for the draft lottery:

30th........... 25.0%
29th........... 18.8%
28th........... 14.2%
27th........... 10.7%
26th............. 8.1%
25th............. 6.2%
24th............. 4.7%
23rd............. 3.6%
22nd............ 2.7%
21st............. 2.1%
20th............. 1.5%
19th............. 1.1%
18th............. 0.8%
17th............. 0.5%

That would give the last place team a 48.2% chance of retaining the 1st pick.

And according to this very old link I dug up, the worst team has won the lottery twice, and they have retained the 1st pick 2 other times.

Old
11-30-2003, 06:51 PM
OlliMackBjugStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov71
I personally don't care if we get Ovechkin or not.
the sad thing is .. could they afford the bonus structure that both MAF and Ovechkin would command ?

They are in trouble.

DR

Old
11-30-2003, 06:52 PM
DJ Spinoza

Some of you can't seem to grasp a simple concept.

The Penguins had no need for Straka. He wasn't producing, but more importantly, is not in any way, shape, or form part of this teams future.

The Penguins are building for the future.

Anyways, this team really is not worse off today than they were yesterday. Heck, the younger players have been the guys winning games this year, not Lemieux or Straka.

They moved a guy who probably is a little bit overpayed, and is signed after this season as well. That doesn't bode well for a return, yet they were still able to get an OK prospect in Anshakov.

I've read here previously that a lot of people thought a second rounder might be decent return for Straka at this point. Well, Ashakov was a second rounder.

Old
11-30-2003, 06:55 PM
punchy1

Wow Burkes Evil Spirit, no offence mate but you take the cake for the most out of touch on this deal as well as the bitterest poster I have yet to see. I am sort of new though so no offence. It's just that you are the single one person who says that this is "another bonehead move by DT". Name me a single move that the guy has done that can be named 'bonehead". Remember, I will be ready with your messiah's long list of questionable moves as well. I would like your take on why you feel so very strongly that DT is taking a piss on this one if you actually have one and aren't just being some homer Nucks fan nicking at the Kings.

Old
11-30-2003, 06:59 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
Wow Burkes Evil Spirit, no offence mate but you take the cake for the most out of touch on this deal as well as the bitterest poster I have yet to see. I am sort of new though so no offence. It's just that you are the single one person who says that this is "another bonehead move by DT". Name me a single move that the guy has done that can be named 'bonehead". Remember, I will be ready with your messiah's long list of questionable moves as well. I would like your take on why you feel so very strongly that DT is taking a piss on this one if you actually have one and aren't just being some homer Nucks fan nicking at the Kings.
I love punchy!!!

Old
11-30-2003, 07:08 PM
rinkrat13

I see a nice line of

C Stumpel
R Palffy
L Straka

Old
11-30-2003, 07:11 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asab
These should be the odds for the draft lottery:

30th........... 25.0%
29th........... 18.8%
28th........... 14.2%
27th........... 10.7%
26th............. 8.1%
25th............. 6.2%
24th............. 4.7%
23rd............. 3.6%
22nd............ 2.7%
21st............. 2.1%
20th............. 1.5%
19th............. 1.1%
18th............. 0.8%
17th............. 0.5%

That would give the last place team a 48.2% chance of retaining the 1st pick.

And according to this very old link I dug up, the worst team has won the lottery twice, and they have retained the 1st pick 2 other times.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Is this right?(assuming last place both years.)

chance of getting both: 6.25%
chance of getting one but not the other:56.25%
chance of getting neither: 37.5%
More like...

Chance of getting both: 24%
Chance of getting one: 48%
Chance of getting neither: 28%

Old
Takeo

An aging Straka isn't worth close to 4.5 million...especially with only 4 goals and a -16. Not a bad deal for the Pens. Who knows, maybe they'll get the last laugh after the CBA...

Old
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
Some of you can't seem to grasp a simple concept.

The Penguins had no need for Straka. He wasn't producing, but more importantly, is not in any way, shape, or form part of this teams future.

The Penguins are building for the future.

Anyways, this team really is not worse off today than they were yesterday. Heck, the younger players have been the guys winning games this year, not Lemieux or Straka.

They moved a guy who probably is a little bit overpayed, and is signed after this season as well. That doesn't bode well for a return, yet they were still able to get an OK prospect in Anshakov.

I've read here previously that a lot of people thought a second rounder might be decent return for Straka at this point. Well, Ashakov was a second rounder.
BINGO

There's been alot of ignorance in this thread, how was Straka helping this team? No one comes to see Marty play like they did for Jagr or Kovalev, Ryan Malone is twice the drawing card as Marty was and was outplaying him to boot, and he certainly wasn't helping us win, that would be the Fleurys, the Fatas, the Malones, the Carons...not the Lemieux, Strakas, and Morozovs this year.

Old
11-30-2003, 07:18 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
When you think about it, it is unbelievable that the Pens have dumped high end players like Kovalev, Hrdina, Straka & lost to free agency Lang & Kasper & imo, have recieved not one real good prospect, but a bunch of marginal ones. Its not like one is in awe of their prospect ranks.
Kasper was also traded away, but they at least got a half decent return in picking up Nieminen.

Old
11-30-2003, 07:18 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin
BINGO

There's been alot of ignorance in this thread, how was Straka helping this team? No one comes to see Marty play like they did for Jagr or Kovalev, Ryan Malone is twice the drawing card as Marty was and was outplaying him to boot, and he certainly wasn't helping us win, that would be the Fleurys, the Fatas, the Malones, the Carons...not the Lemieux, Strakas, and Morozovs this year.
Yeah, I don't think the Pens got hosed. I do wish they would have gotten more for him but it's understandable given the economics of the situation. Straka was converted into valuable assets. It's not about winning now as that is a lost cause. This is about developing a winner. Hopefully, these prospects will start panning out. More Fata's and less Kraft's and Beech's.

Old
11-30-2003, 07:27 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
An aging Straka isn't worth close to 4.5 million...
An AGING Straka? And who exactly is supposed to get the money? A baby-faced rookie? The guy is 31 years old. It's not like he is a crumbling old man. He's a veteran with two years remaining on his contract. They haven't sealed this deal until he's 41.

Closed Thread