HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kings get Straka...

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2003, 07:29 PM
LuckyLUC20

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash
I love punchy!!!
me too!

punchy rules!

Old
11-30-2003, 07:31 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by asab
That would give the last place team a 48.2% chance of retaining the 1st pick.
Using this statement I got:

chance of getting both:23.2%
chance of getting one:49.9%
chance of getting niether:26.8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
More like...

Chance of getting both: 24%
Chance of getting one: 48%
Chance of getting neither: 28%
pretty close. hmmm maybe I need to go back to math class?

Old
11-30-2003, 07:33 PM
Malakian#13

Send a message via Yahoo to Malakian#13
I like it. everyone remember to wish for all the Kings to be healthy when you see those shooting stars so our lineup can be ........

Robitaille - Allison - Deadmarsh
Frolov - Stumple - Palffy
Klatt - Cammalleri - Straka
Avery - Belanger - Laperrierre

Extras: Brown , Armstrong , Sim , Brennan , Pirnes , Chartrand ,Smithson

Damn my Nhl2k4 team kicks ass now.

Old
11-30-2003, 07:50 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
I agree. This move helps the Kings become more competetive, and it helps the pens achieve their goal of becoming the single worst team to ever play any sport.
Please....
I dont know if you are being serious or not but if you were that is just ignorant.
And BTW Straka has played all three forward positions over the past few years with time being split between LW and C equally.
I don't mean to be rude but your post really came across as very poor taste and quite uncalled for, not to mention being obviously untrue.
Is there a reason for bashing the Pens? Can they help it that they are financialy unable to make things work as of now? They are doing the best with what they have to work with and a few years from now they will be far ahead of the curve.

And Beech still is a good prospect.....geez

Old
11-30-2003, 07:54 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Using this statement I got:

chance of getting both:23.2%
chance of getting one:49.9%
chance of getting niether:26.8%

pretty close. hmmm maybe I need to go back to math class?
I was just estimating, using simple logic. I'll trust your numbers.

Old
11-30-2003, 08:17 PM
Game Misconduct

Two weeks after I bought my Anshakov game-worn CSKA jersey too. Ugh.

Old
11-30-2003, 08:21 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
funny that for 3 years they were bankrupt yet still managed to ice a competetive team. hell, the sens missed payroll, something the pens are yet to do and they won the presidents cup. buffalo was at least somewhat competetive last season as well. Pittsburgh is hardly in a unique situation. They have yet to acquire one even semi-good prospect. The best player they have from these trades is Rico Fata. Its one thing to dump salary, but when you do that you should at least get some help for the future. The pens only have one player right now that looks like he will be a strong future presence, and that is Fleury, and the greediness of Lemieux almost didn't even get him signed. They won't get Ovechkin, even if they win the lottery because they won't be able to sign him, so the pick will be dealt away. When lemieux stepped back onto the ice it was great. he was playing extremely good hockey, got jagr back on his game, and the team was a scoring machine. Since then their has only been one constant. team payroll goes down, Lemieux's salary goes up. Its a joke he's allowed to play for the team he owns, as that is a blatant conflict of interest, and if I were craig patrick I would resign in protest. Anybody with a brain knows Patrick isn't the reason for the talent purge, it's Lemieux.How many first round picks did the Pens get for Jagr, Kovalev, Hrdina, Lang and Straka? Absolutly none. How many above marginal prospects did they get? Absolutly none. tarnstrom will be the next to go, and then that will leave lemieux and Fleury as the only two legitimate nhlers on the team. Pathetic. This team should be revoked. if this was like any other business, there would be lawsuits being thrown around like you wouldn't believe because this is a classic case of somebody driving a business into the ground. its nothing more, and nothing less.

Sorry to chime in here again but you know next to nothing about the Pens it seems. Are you telling me Mario doesn't deserve a 5 million dollar salary in todays NHL?

All of Beech,Sivek and Lupy (the Jagr deal) ARE above marginal prospects. If you think different then that is your perogative, but you are in the minority. That is a part of the reason many experts consider the Pens to have among the best prospect pool in the NHL.

Fata,Morozov,Melichar,Berehowsky and Eastwood are legitimate NHLers.

Malone, Orpik and Koltsov are all very good rookies who also have shown so far that they belong in the NHL.

The Penguins DID miss payroll once and had to get a loan from a bank in France to pay it.

And how exactly do you know what the next CBA will bring? What the IIHF deal will bring? And not knowing EITHER of those how can you know what Ovechkin's contract will bring. FINALLY not knowing ANY of that how do you know the Pens wont be able to afford to pay any transfer fee's?

THEN on one hand you SEEM to insinuate that the Pens shouldn't be able to use finances as an excuse and then in another sentence say that they wont be able to afford Ovie.

You should really do some checking up before you spout off. There is an obvious bias here against the Pens which is your choice, but if you don't want to be made to look foolish then check what you are saying before you post.

Im sorry you feel let down by the team but they have a bright future ahead and are doing what they must do to survive.

Keep in mind that when they were doing well as you noted thier payroll was STILL towards the bottom of the league. 34-36 million.

Old
11-30-2003, 08:23 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Didn't see this one coming for the Kings just yet, but it is a good addition to a team desperately needing another top 6 foward.

It is doubtful Deadmarsh will be in the lineup this season, while Allison is looking to come back sometime within the next month. When Allison comes back, he would be a good fit with Straka and Klatt as wingers.

Old
11-30-2003, 08:28 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal(M)eth
Sell the team? To whom?

No good businessman in his right mind would buy an NHL team..unless he feels like bleeding red.

Pens also will most likely have financing for a new arena secured within the next 3 weeks...so I don't think Mario will be selling this team when he is on the eve of securing financing for a new arena.

Be realistic and don't speak on matters you don't fully understand.
I am fairly certain one of those Portland boys are interested and didnt the Sabres AND the Sens both get new owners not very long ago

And to my recollection there is 9 teams that have changed ownerships could be more but have to look that one up more closely on which day in 1999 a couple transactions went thru but since than i know the following teams have changed ownership

Avalanche
Canadiens
Islanders
Devils
Sharks
Coyotes
Senators
Sabres
Panthers

9 teams so yeah noone is buying a hockey team nowadays

I i dont see how they can even think of a new arena when the current one is not even half full on most nights and based on the legal developments around the St Pete Times Forum and its legal "circus" with the county building one is a VERY VERY bad deal since it is worse return of $$ than buying a new car

Old
11-30-2003, 08:31 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
Two weeks after I bought my Anshakov game-worn CSKA jersey too. Ugh.

Ahh man that sucks.

Old
11-30-2003, 08:34 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

How is this a good trade for the Penguins? Surely, they could have picked up better prospects than this? I knew Straka was going to be traded, so I'm not surprised he is gone, but the return is very marginal......I don't think the Penguins got "hosed" or "robbed", but I do think it was another terrible trade by the GM, in the sense that he could have got more from his asset......alot more.

JMO I guess

Old
11-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
How is this a good trade for the Penguins? Surely, they could have picked up better prospects than this? I knew Straka was going to be traded, so I'm not surprised he is gone, but the return is very marginal......I don't think the Penguins got "hosed" or "robbed", but I do think it was another terrible trade by the GM, in the sense that he could have got more from his asset......alot more.

JMO I guess
Like what? Straka is an expensive accident-waiting-to-happen being dealt by a team that has the worst finaincial problems in the league and cannot afford to take on ANY salary at all.

Old
11-30-2003, 08:47 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:

JMO I guess

I think the mistake you are making in your evaluation Enoch, is that Dave Taylor set the terms, and not the other way around. I'm pretty sure that the Penguins still have scouting staff all around the world, and perhaps Anshakov was the player that they wanted.

Old
11-30-2003, 08:54 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCabe24
....IMO, that would be the deepest and best forward lineup in the league...
Top 5 probably, certainly not the deepest..

Old
11-30-2003, 08:56 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
It's just that you are the single one person who says that this is "another bonehead move by DT". Name me a single move that the guy has done that can be named 'bonehead".
Without going back very far, and without opening up a whole can of worms: giving Jason Allison a big-money contract; Aaron Miller's long-term contract; retaining Andy Murray as coach.

Quote:
Remember, I will be ready with your messiah's long list of questionable moves as well.
Feel free to, but please inform me as to who my messiah actually is (because it isn't Brian Burke)

Quote:
I would like your take on why you feel so very strongly that DT is taking a piss on this one if you actually have one
Dave Taylor is recklessly driving up the payroll of his club without making it appreciably better. He also doesn't learn from previous mistakes (durrrrr...let's trade for injury-prone players...)

Old
11-30-2003, 09:20 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Without going back very far, and without opening up a whole can of worms: retaining Andy Murray as coach.
That has to be one of the dumbest things I have seen posted on this forum. There isn't another coach in the league that could have the Kings in the position that they are in with all of the injuries.

The most recent example is the best. Dallas comes in with a three game winning streak and they get 3 shots in the first period. In the second period they get 8 minutes of PP time and they only manage 14 shots in the period. Now they go into the third down by a goal and they can only get 2 shots on net. Yeah, Andy is a terrible coach. All this with a team that has 9 injuries and the best two players are only 21 years old.

Andy has his team believing that they can beat anybody in the NHL with anybody in the lineup. Then they actually go out and prove it. The Kings know they aren't going to win any shootouts (the Phoenix game is an example) any time soon without all of the players in the lineup, but they still compete hard and keep the shots against low.

Old
11-30-2003, 09:32 PM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Quote:

JMO I guess
OK let me explain it to you from a Pens' perspective.

Straka was NOT helping the team win by any means. He wasn't good AT ALL this season.
It's not a knock on him, I like him a lot, but just the hard truth.
He wasn't goodn but he was DAMN expensive for the Penguins.
No doubt he was going to get traded.
Now tell me, how much can you expect in return for a 4.5M$ 31 year old forward who is NOT producing (and doesn't have size either) and that missed so many games the last few years he might never reach his old self?
I'm very satisfied with the deal in that we got a good prospect. I was afraid we'd get a second/third rounder and that would be it.
I'm fine with the prospect, and I don't think we'll win any more games with or without Straka.

Anyone thinking it's a bad deal for the Penguins need to check the market. Right now, no team is willing to take that much salary for a guy that's not producing.

Old
11-30-2003, 09:34 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Yeah... that Andy Murray sure is an awful coach... just look at the Kings record this season, and his unimpressive resume of coaching Canada to gold in this past summers World Championships as well as getting consideration to join the coaching staff for this summers World Cup tournament.

Ignorant statement made by someone reaching to make an unsubstantiatal point.

Old
11-30-2003, 09:38 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
When you think about it, it is unbelievable that the Pens have dumped high end players like Kovalev, Hrdina, Straka & lost to free agency Lang & Kasper & imo, have recieved not one real good prospect, but a bunch of marginal ones. Its not like one is in awe of their prospect ranks.
Wow....

I guess if the Pens were number one on this website instead of number two "one" would be in awe.....

Old
11-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Hockey Moose

Quote:
Without going back very far, and without opening up a whole can of worms: giving Jason Allison a big-money contract; Aaron Miller's long-term contract; retaining Andy Murray as coach.
I usually agree with a lot of what you ahve to say, but to say Andy Murray shouldn't have been kept is just stupid. Murray is my guess at 'COACH OF THE YEAR' if the Kings get into the playoffs. It's amazing he has kept this whole team together.

It would be nice to see Crawford lose Bertuzzi, Naslund, Morrison, Ohlund, One Sedin & Maybe King or Linden for periods. Then we could compare things

Old
11-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

While there's no denying Andy Murray is a great coach, he really isn't the best fit for Los Angeles any more. He's entering his 5th full season in LA and he's taken the franchise nowhere. Granted, injuries are part of that, as is Dave Taylor's inability to retain core players and build up some semblance of team chemistry, but when you've been with an organization that long and you've either regressed or (at very best) stayed put, it's time to move on.

Edit: For Christ's sake, quit bringing up the "Kings are always injured!" excuse. Look what Quenneville did in St. Louis. Look at what Hartley's doing in Atlanta. Look at what Quinn did a few years ago with Toronto. They're not insurmountable.

Old
11-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
OK let me explain it to you from a Pens' perspective.

Straka was NOT helping the team win by any means. He wasn't good AT ALL this season.
It's not a knock on him, I like him a lot, but just the hard truth.
He wasn't goodn but he was DAMN expensive for the Penguins.
No doubt he was going to get traded.
Now tell me, how much can you expect in return for a 4.5M$ 31 year old forward who is NOT producing (and doesn't have size either) and that missed so many games the last few years he might never reach his old self?
I'm very satisfied with the deal in that we got a good prospect. I was afraid we'd get a second/third rounder and that would be it.
I'm fine with the prospect, and I don't think we'll win any more games with or without Straka.

Anyone thinking it's a bad deal for the Penguins need to check the market. Right now, no team is willing to take that much salary for a guy that's not producing.
If Straka wasn't producing, then no one on your entire team was producing. He led the Penguins with points (tied with Fata).

Admit this Evil-O. Your offense is anemic. With Mario out, you are hurting in scoring goals. Add on to that the fact that your defense gives up a lot of scoring chances......and your in trouble. There are a lot of reasons why the Penguins are in bad shape right now. Besides being cash-strapped (thats the obvious), their management has been terrible, and they have mishandled their assets for years leaving them barren both offensively and defensively. Straka was a good asset. Don't play him down. His injuries were flukey, and i guarantee most GMs knew that. Once again, this was a piss-poor job of managing assets, and its sad that Pens fans are so used to the terrible deals, that a bad deal *slightly better than the terrible deal* is heralded as a win. EVEN if this trade works out in their favor in the future...they STILL could have garnered better face value at the time of making the trade. I've loved the Pens for years. They may not be my favorite team, but trades like this have made me irate. I'm not going to call spoiled milk tasty. When it stinks, it stinks, and there is no way to get around it.

Old
11-30-2003, 10:09 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
While there's no denying Andy Murray is a great coach, he really isn't the best fit for Los Angeles any more. He's entering his 5th full season in LA and he's taken the franchise nowhere. Granted, injuries are part of that, as is Dave Taylor's inability to retain core players and build up some semblance of team chemistry, but when you've been with an organization that long and you've either regressed or (at very best) stayed put, it's time to move on.

Edit: For Christ's sake, quit bringing up the "Kings are always injured!" excuse. Look what Quenneville did in St. Louis. Look at what Hartley's doing in Atlanta. Look at what Quinn did a few years ago with Toronto. They're not insurmountable.
Andy Murray led the Kings to their first three consecutive 90+ point seasons. They weren't even able to do that during the Gretzky era when Ftorek, Tom Webster and Barry Melrose were coaching... Larry Robinson was unable to do it.

Last season was the first one under Andy Murray in which they missed the playoffs. They were one game away from eliminating the Avs in 2001, which would have gotten them to the Conference finals... and once again in 2002, one game away from eliminating the Avs in Round 1.

This team has shown results, and they have overachieved because they all believe in the hard-working system he has implimented, and even with the depleted lineup, they are getting results. Last season with Derek Armstrong as the top line center, the Kings were in the playoff hunt up until the final stretch.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. I could raise the same question with Marc Crawford in Vancouver, but then I'd be a fool to question it wouldn't I? Just as you appear to be with this pointless arguement.

Old
11-30-2003, 10:15 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
If Straka wasn't producing, then no one on your entire team was producing. He led the Penguins with points (tied with Fata).

Admit this Evil-O. Your offense is anemic. With Mario out, you are hurting in scoring goals. Add on to that the fact that your defense gives up a lot of scoring chances......and your in trouble. There are a lot of reasons why the Penguins are in bad shape right now. Besides being cash-strapped (thats the obvious), their management has been terrible, and they have mishandled their assets for years leaving them barren both offensively and defensively. Straka was a good asset. Don't play him down. His injuries were flukey, and i guarantee most GMs knew that. Once again, this was a piss-poor job of managing assets, and its sad that Pens fans are so used to the terrible deals, that a bad deal *slightly better than the terrible deal* is heralded as a win. EVEN if this trade works out in their favor in the future...they STILL could have garnered better face value at the time of making the trade. I've loved the Pens for years. They may not be my favorite team, but trades like this have made me irate. I'm not going to call spoiled milk tasty. When it stinks, it stinks, and there is no way to get around it.
Let me answer for him... "What are you talking about? Craig Patrick never makes a bad trade!"
Remember the Penguins purposely tanking the season to draft Mario?

Old
11-30-2003, 10:24 PM
LA Kings Rule

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you should think about what you are saying before you type it, in the first 23 games so far Andy Murray has been the best coach in the league with the lineup that he's got. why is Jason Allison overpaid because he's injured, if he wasn't and thats when Dave Taylor gave the big deal to him he is arguably on of the best centers and one of the most dominating players in the league. As far as Miller he's off to a slow start but he'll pick it up because he's one of the elite defensive-defencemen in the league and that why he's got a long term contract.

Closed Thread