HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kings get Straka...

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2003, 08:36 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
so then you admit it yourself, the only significant regression in murray's coaching career had to do with a lot of issues not relating to coaching. true, he did not improve the team to a 100 point season, but then he also didn't have a chance to after last year's and this year's team was completely devastated by injuries. yes, you can make an argument that he could have improved the team in the 2nd and 3rd year of coaching, but that's just a weak flimsy argument not even worth aruging about.
Sure, but it doesn't matter why the team regressed, only the fact that it did (see my above post).

Old
12-02-2003, 08:58 AM
Frolov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Sure, but it doesn't matter why the team regressed, only the fact that it did (see my above post).
Dude, Murray is hands down coach of the year up to this point.

Kings are first in their division above both the Stars and the Ducks.

All the credit needs to go to the coach IMO.

However, if the Kings miss the playoffs then I wouldn't be suprised to see him leave.

Old
12-02-2003, 09:44 AM
duckhead3198

vCash:
Maybe the Pens will split the prorated version of what is left after the lock out.

My question is this, with the Pens setting themselves up for the lottery, if the whole season is lost next year, how would draft positions be decided for the 05 draft? Would they freeze the team's records from this year? Would there be a true lottery completely randomized? Any idea?

Old
12-02-2003, 10:47 AM
skolgoar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov
Dude, Murray is hands down coach of the year up to this point.

Kings are first in their division above both the Stars and the Ducks.

All the credit needs to go to the coach IMO.
AM is doing a great job with the Kings and getting them to play their hearts out every night.

Put it this way, the Kings have played 2 less games than the Canucks and have 2 less wins. The Kings have been winning games without their first line, and 6 of their top 9 forwards on the IR. They played without their top 2 dmen for the first month of the season. They are breaking in a new goalie from the other conference. Meanwhile, Crawford has looked down his bench every game with the best line in hockey, two of the best dmen in the league, and the goalie that he has stuck by for the last couple of seasons, as well as a full roster of healthy bodies.

Tell me who is getting the most out of his team ...

Old
12-02-2003, 11:08 AM
skolgoar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
The Canucks were the first team in the NHL to start using the hyperbaric chamber... they have been innovators in training methods for a while now... something that Burke has consciously brought into the system...

of course some of it is luck... but there is also an investment by the team to try and bring in new ideas to control as much of the injury problems as they can... obviously you can never eliminate it, but it's not a coincidence that the Canucks are one of (actually I think they are the) healthiest team in the league over the past 3-4 seasons... spending money on training and medical support does pay off, and not every team in the league invests in it enough!

also... you can blame a lot of it on luck - but then again, when players show up at camp looking like Deadmarsh did - there's a responsibility by management and the coaching staff to make sure that players don't show up like that! the canucks training staff work in the offseason with the players in offseason training - and this is a big reason why they show up in shape and seem to improve physically year after year, and show that they are durable players.

with all the good that Taylor has done, he seems to be ignoring some thigns that are key for success as well??
To give you some background ...

The Kings have spent a ton of money in the last 3 or 4 years to add to their support staff with strength, weight and conditioning coaches. They have a state of the art training facility at HealthSouth, one that is continually regarded by most of the people around the league (including players) as one of the best in the league. Those facilities are matched by similar training facilities for theri minor league team. Even so, after all the injuries last season, the Kings replaced their the majority of their training staff to attempt to stem the injury problems.

The majority of injuries that the Kings are suffering are concussions. Hyberbaric chambers, which may or may not help in healing (they were all the rage 20 years ago, but history really hasn't proven them to be effective) really can't help much with brain injuries. The Kings have sent their players all over the country (including to the Mayo clinic) to some of the best known doctors in order to help heal their players, but the conclusion has always been that only time will tell.

Deader showed up fat at camp because he was unable to exercise this summer without showing concussion symptoms. Deader and the Kings tried to rush him back to start the season, so they put him on the ice early, but the problem that continues to plague him is the concussion which prevents him from conditioning.

Rather than sending trainers over to the players, the Kings keep their players here, so that they can train all summer long in the same facilities (and with the same staff) that they will be working with all season long. (btw, it is a credit to the organization and the facilities that the players WANT to work here in the summer.) An example of this success is Alexander Frolov whose summer work is showing dividends in his breakout sophomore season.

Palffy's got hit with the puck while sitting on the bench DURING A GAME, not during a practice. Unless you are going to put glass up around the bench (which would obviously limit line changes), that type of bad luck is going to happen. Armstrong broke a hand when he got in the way of a Palffy slapshot from the point.

While it may be true that you often make your own luck, in the Kings streak of bad luck is just freakish. Just hope that your Canucks team doesn't suffer half the bad luck that the Kings have seen in the last year and a half, or we will see just how good a coach Crawford is and how well equipped their organization is prepared to whether a bad storm.

Old
12-02-2003, 12:18 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
What a joke. THey can't even dump salary correctly.
I understand where you are coming from and totally respect your thoughts and positions. I respectfully have to disagree with some of them but this is a thoughtful conversation to have.
In the end we are just going to have to agree to disagree. As a Pens fan I am excited about the future this orginization has. I am excited about the stable of prospects we have as well.
I see Patricks mistakes and am not absolving him of any of them what so ever (btw I am PISSED about this Straka salary thing!!! :mad: ).
Your opinion is your opinion and I can totally respect it. While ultimately I think differently, I hope the future proves me right for the sake of this franchise.
I like the management we have in place. While they arent the best the could do a whole lot worse.
Good Conversation and thanks to all who participated.

Old
12-02-2003, 04:52 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
I understand where you are coming from and totally respect your thoughts and positions. I respectfully have to disagree with some of them but this is a thoughtful conversation to have.
In the end we are just going to have to agree to disagree. As a Pens fan I am excited about the future this orginization has. I am excited about the stable of prospects we have as well.
I see Patricks mistakes and am not absolving him of any of them what so ever (btw I am PISSED about this Straka salary thing!!! :mad: ).
Your opinion is your opinion and I can totally respect it. While ultimately I think differently, I hope the future proves me right for the sake of this franchise.
I like the management we have in place. While they arent the best the could do a whole lot worse.
Good Conversation and thanks to all who participated.
Great way to end a debate. I salute you

Old
12-02-2003, 06:51 PM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
I did read the entire thread. And until it is confirmed I wont believe it. If it's true (which I highly doubt) then I will be VERY unhappy. My point was until it is confirmed lets not hold it against anyone....
It is confirmed they are eating 50% of next years 4.7 so they pay 2.35 million for nothing a BAD deal went worse

Old
12-02-2003, 06:55 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Bolt Fan
It is confirmed they are eating 50% of next years 4.7 so they pay 2.35 million for nothing a BAD deal went worse

Yep already posted something about that....read my post above.

Closed Thread