HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sad scenario

Old
12-17-2006, 03:45 AM
hossua34
Mutt

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hossua34 Send a message via Yahoo to hossua34
Sad scenario

Despite the fact that they won the second period 3-0, the Jackets' effort last night was among the saddest I have ever seen - and I've been in the stands for an 8-0 loss to Boston, a couple of 7-1 LA games, and assorted other gems...

It was because of the guy who sat next to me last night. My dad and I bought tickets to the game late, and ended up in the last row of section 206. There was a man sitting next to us, alone, and after the Hawks scored the first goal he asked me why they stopped the clock - I figured he had just missed the goal, so I told him they scored on that shot. No... turns out, the guy sitting next to me has never been to or watched a hockey game IN HIS LIFE. He was from London, OH, and had bought a ticket because he read about the team doing so well in the paper. He knew NONE of the rules, and I started to explain a little to him. Then they scored again. And again. And again. With about eight minutes left, they took a TV time-out, and the guy took off, saying "it looks like I've had my hockey experience". I couldn't blame him one bit. At the time there were six minutes left and it was 4-0... The two of us (who've spent thousands of dollars on tickets and merchandise, not to mention the hours of TV-watching and sheer phyical support we put in - long story short we aren't exactly fair weather fans) always leave the game if we go down by five...

The sad part in this is this. This man was THE model fan that the CBJ is trying to bring in - a guy who isn't too familiar with hockey but who has options as to how he wants to spend his Saturday nights - and he showed up for the big, weekend game against against a division rival just to see what it was like, and because of the ****ing egg we laid in the first period, he will never be back...

Maybe I'm taking this loss (of one potential fan FOREVER) too hard, but I'd never seen anything like it before. It was like a PR guy's nightmares playing out in front of me in real life...

Discuss.

hossua34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 04:40 AM
Hugg

Here's the thing. It happens. It happens to almost every team in the league from time to time. In any sport. There's off nights. Football teams have off weeks. If he's giving up on the sport after 12 minutes, then I don't really know what I have to say about it.

That first period was a joke, but the two periods that followed showed that we finally have a team that is going to fight. That isn't going to quit at the first sign of trouble...like this potential fan apparently did.

And I've seen much sadder Blue Jackets efforts than last night. I've seen 5 or 6 this season alone. I've seen them lose games 2-0 and it's been sadder than last night. Because they actually fought last night. And I'll take fighting back from a 4-0 and 5-1 margin and falling short over losing 2-0 and never looking like you gave a damn.

We've seen that enough. We've had enough teams here that would have lost that game 9-2 and the only sign of life would have been Jody Shelley beating someone up in the 3rd period.

First period sucked, but I walked away proud of our team and if that guy would have stayed, maybe he would have too.

It sucks to lose a potential fan, but it doesn't seem like he gave it much of a chance to begin with.

Last edited by Hugg: 12-17-2006 at 04:47 AM.
Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 05:00 AM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post
Here's the thing. It happens. It happens to almost every team in the league from time to time. In any sport. There's off nights. Football teams have off weeks. If he's giving up on the sport after 12 minutes, then I don't really know what I have to say about it.
Agreed.

I didn't think the CBJ played that badly in the first --- they were winning races to the puck, cycling in the O zone, and appeared to out-chance the Hawks. Perhaps the D was stretched a bit thin, after logging all those minutes without Foote and Westcott the past week, and Freddy may have had an off night. But that's going to happen. The Hawks just didn't seem to miss on an opportunity to capitalize, and the CBJ couldn't bury anything.

An interesting counterpoint: some seat-mates up in my section brought a first-time (CBJ) husband and wife to the Sens game. They're supposedly big sports fans, but had never seen a hockey game before. By the second intermission, they were asking how easy it was to get tickets to games, and had the calendar out looking for future dates they could attend.

jacketracket* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 05:28 AM
DougKnowsBest

yeah for every one that guy, there is another who was too drunk in the first intermission to realize that we where getting gang ***** by the hawks.

so dont sweat it.

im off to go buy a wii

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 08:28 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
I have to say to that guy, "don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya"....so, let me get this straight, he buys a ticket, drives all the way from London, watches for 12 minutes, and................that's his "hockey experience"? What a joke. I don't want people like that in the arena, frankly.

Like others have said, it happens to all teams in all sports in the world. You are not guaranteed a winning performance by buying a ticket. If he's going to give the entire sport of hockey a 12-minute window, then good riddance.

Last edited by DJAnimosity: 12-17-2006 at 08:37 AM.
DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 08:35 AM
3mta3

That guy should be barred from entering the arena again and hossua34 should be prescribed something to help with the imbalance that makes his departure sad instead of hilarious.

3mta3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 08:50 AM
DougKnowsBest

i'll tell you what a sad scenario is. me standing in line at toys r us at 6:45, number 20 in a line where the first 15 people got wii's.

im getting a wii bit pissed

Old
12-17-2006, 08:51 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
i'll tell you what a sad scenario is. me standing in line at toys r us at 6:45, number 20 in a line where the first 15 people got wii's.

im getting a wii bit pissed
Why on earth did they only order 15?

Old
12-17-2006, 08:54 AM
DougKnowsBest

best buy (in newark) had got ten this morning! i was number 32 in that line

im wii'ed out i tell ya.

whats the wii scene on the inside of 270. are the wii's plentiful over there? I know that slimy 3mata got one at launch it seems. But im not willing to do what he did to have to get his.

Old
12-17-2006, 08:56 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Wait until the end of January. There will be hundreds lining shelves all across Central Ohio.

Old
12-17-2006, 08:59 AM
DougKnowsBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Wait until the end of January. There will be hundreds lining shelves all across Central Ohio.
but i want one now .... that is I want my son to have one now.

i threatened to hold my breath in line at toys r us, but the toy r us guy wasn't buying it.

Old
12-17-2006, 09:57 AM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Remember.

The Jackets aren't invincible. If anyone seriously thought that the Jackets would win every game until the third week of April, you were sorely mistaken.

The team's still better, and that's all that matters.

Go Jackets.

futurcorerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 10:04 AM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
PS: I want a Wii soooooooo bad.

futurcorerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 10:08 AM
CBJSlash

I'm from London and I probably know the guy.

Some Londonians aren't too bright.

Those are the bandwagoners that will be at the games when we are icing a perrenial playoff team.

No Sweat.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 10:42 AM
hossua34
Mutt

Some of you people on here are out of your freaking MINDS. Sure, this guy was not a hockey fan, in fact he probably had to look up the word in a dictionary after he read about the CBJ's hot streak. But if you think every one of the fans who is TODAY a hard core Jackets fans was ALWAYS a hockey fan, and didn't have to be "won over" a little bit, you are insane or in downright denial. People like that are how teams build fan bases... If you took out every fan of questionable dedication (as it seems some of you would like to do), Nationwide would be emptier than the Coyotes' arena the other night, and they'd be talking about moving the Jackets instead of Pittsburgh. Sorry, but it's Columbus not Minnesota or Canada - this team needs good PR and it need to make "friends" in casual fans like this guy.

That being said, it'd be foolish to think something similar doesn't happen every game to some extent. It'd just never happened so close and obviously to me before, and it was truly sickening.

...And that sucks about the Wii. Buy hey, at least you'll have your TV a few more days before you get really "into" a game and launch a wiimote through the screen like everyone seems to be doing.

Old
12-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Grouchy

Send a message via Yahoo to Grouchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossua34 View Post
Maybe I'm taking this loss (of one potential fan FOREVER) too hard, but I'd never seen anything like it before. It was like a PR guy's nightmares playing out in front of me in real life...
If I had a $1000 for each "soccer virgin" I've taken to Crew games only to see the team just puke away a game leaving the newb totally uninterested in ever coming to see a game again I would by responding to this from my Bel Air mansion while watching the Blue Angels do a special flyover before my threesome with Paris Hilton and Oprah.

It happens...

Actually, you should have yelled at the guy to take his bad luck back with him to London. Obviously his negative bad-karma magnetic field was boat-anchoring every CBJ player on the ice...

Grouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 11:09 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Despite the fact that they won the second period 3-0, the Jackets' effort last night was among the saddest I have ever seen - and I've been in the stands for an 8-0 loss to Boston, a couple of 7-1 LA games, and assorted other gems...

It was because of the guy who sat next to me last night. My dad and I bought tickets to the game late, and ended up in the last row of section 206. There was a man sitting next to us, alone, and after the Hawks scored the first goal he asked me why they stopped the clock - I figured he had just missed the goal, so I told him they scored on that shot. No... turns out, the guy sitting next to me has never been to or watched a hockey game IN HIS LIFE. He was from London, OH, and had bought a ticket because he read about the team doing so well in the paper. He knew NONE of the rules, and I started to explain a little to him. Then they scored again. And again. And again. With about eight minutes left, they took a TV time-out, and the guy took off, saying "it looks like I've had my hockey experience". I couldn't blame him one bit. At the time there were six minutes left and it was 4-0... The two of us (who've spent thousands of dollars on tickets and merchandise, not to mention the hours of TV-watching and sheer phyical support we put in - long story short we aren't exactly fair weather fans) always leave the game if we go down by five...

The sad part in this is this. This man was THE model fan that the CBJ is trying to bring in - a guy who isn't too familiar with hockey but who has options as to how he wants to spend his Saturday nights - and he showed up for the big, weekend game against against a division rival just to see what it was like, and because of the ****ing egg we laid in the first period, he will never be back...

Discuss.
Look- I've been a casual hockey fan for 20 years. While I pretty much understand the rules, I still don't understand the game, and I'm a CBJ season ticket holder. No pro team can guarantee a great performance every game. In the 1st period, the Jackets were flat. Happens.

If Hitch makes them a top 10 team, guys like him will be lining up to get tickets. I just wish I could find a way to get a better understanding of strategies, etc. Little by little, I am learning.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 11:30 AM
hossua34
Mutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
Actually, you should have yelled at the guy to take his bad luck back with him to London. Obviously his negative bad-karma magnetic field was boat-anchoring every CBJ player on the ice...
Funny enough, that's exactly what we did. The Hawks stopped scoring and the CBJ started right about the moment he left. Maybe if he stuck around for the second he'd be singing a different tune...

Old
12-17-2006, 11:39 AM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
... my threesome with Paris Hilton and Oprah.
That's hot.

jacketracket* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Hugg

Quote:
But if you think every one of the fans who is TODAY a hard core Jackets fans was ALWAYS a hockey fan, and didn't have to be "won over" a little bit, you are insane or in downright denial..
So how did they win them over? They're been bad since day one. It's not like we got won over by the multitude of wins the Jackets were racking up. The difference is we (I say we because I had watched maybe 20 total minutes of hockey pre-CBJ) didn't give up after 12 minutes of one game.

The first game I went to was the 2nd home game ever and they got absolutely blown off the ice by the Kings. My conclusion wasn't hockey sucks I'm never coming back. That's his problem.

He clearly didn't really want to enjoy it or he wouldn't have given up that quickly.

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:01 PM
3mta3

The lesson here from Hossua is clear - NEVER TRAIL IN A GAME. That guy from London represents the future of the Jackets and all is lost. We're finished. Kaput. May as well move the team to Portland now.

Hossua, I mean this in the nicest way possible: you are off your frigging rocker here. This molehill of a man has become a mountain in your mind. Nowhere else though. Stop projecting and look inside yourself to see why this is such a big deal to you. I want you to be happy and it's clear that something it disturbing you. Cheer up and spike the egg nog.

3mta3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:11 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Interesting discussion.

That guy who left after the first period is sad. Nobody in their right mind spends money to attend a sporting event only to leave after the first 20 minutes. That's stooopid. He was obviously lonely too. Who goes to a hockey game by themselves? (ok, so you're lonely too )

I regularly hear people around me at the games who know shiitt about hockey.
Even some of those who talk like they know what they're talking about, don't know shiitt about hockey (and I'm talking about YOU Mr. "Shoot the Puck" guy). But they're there at all the games.

And then there are the tasseled loafer corporate guys who talk about business and fishing during the game. --And their wives who get up to go pee every 15 minutes.

But we need ALL of them to keep the beer prices down.

I have turned my family into hockey geeks. And I regularly invite friends and other family members to join us. I work on subliminally teaching them HOW to be a hockey fan, how to watch the game, what to look for, the rituals, and how to have fun at a game. I consider it my part of giving back to the game.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:11 PM
anteater90

Guys give Hossua a break. He is dedicated enough that he has flown to Western Canada to watch out beloved Jackets play. If you really want to find the reason for his tortured sole it all goes back to his sadistic high shcool chemistry teacher. He has never been the same emotionally since.

anteater90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:18 PM
DougKnowsBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
. Who goes to a hockey game by themselves? (ok, so you're lonely too )

*raises hand*

i like to be able to concentrate on the game and not have to talk to anyone.

Old
12-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post
So how did they win them over? They're been bad since day one. It's not like we got won over by the multitude of wins the Jackets were racking up. The difference is we (I say we because I had watched maybe 20 total minutes of hockey pre-CBJ) didn't give up after 12 minutes of one game.

The first game I went to was the 2nd home game ever and they got absolutely blown off the ice by the Kings. My conclusion wasn't hockey sucks I'm never coming back. That's his problem.

He clearly didn't really want to enjoy it or he wouldn't have given up that quickly.
Exactly. My first hockey game was the inaugural game back in 2000. Did they win? I couldn't tell you for the life of me, let alone the score. But being a sports fan, I know teams aren't going to be amazing every year, especially when they're new. But being a fan of the sport, and of sports in general, that didn't stop me from having a fun time. Nationwide Arena is one of the best experiences in all of sports, and if you can't enjoy yourself or give the team more than 12 minutes to play a 60 minute game, then either you're expecting too much or there is something wrong with you. And when you actually give a team time, things eventually come around. Well, unless you're a Browns fan. But just these past couple weeks, for example, have been so much fun. Anticipating the games so much more, because now I can expect a real hockey team to show up each night. But I wouldn't have this if I gave up on them the first time they went down.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote