HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sad scenario

Old
12-17-2006, 12:22 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
*raises hand*

i like to be able to concentrate on the game and not have to talk to anyone.
Ok....somehow I knew this.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:23 PM
falcor

3~you never fail to amaze me.

falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Nobody's willing to see this guy's perspective? If I was a guy checking out the hockey team closest to me and they'd finally showed signs of life and I came to my first hockey game ever and that team went down 4-0, I might be a little disappointed too, and I might even walk out. I think you guys are a little tainted here. You're all hockey nuts.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 02:08 PM
cbj21

I think there is only hockey nuts on this board

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 02:09 PM
raindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Who goes to a hockey game by themselves?
Often.

But you know what, I want to feel sorry for the guy, but I can't. I've gone to other sporting events where I didn't know crap, and the team got clobbered, but I stuck around. When your team is losing is a good time to start learning the rules. Often after a bad game is over you can be clued in to some of the finer points. Seriously, you buy the ticket you take the ride. One period? That's insane.

And I have to say, I had an absolute ball last night. We didn't win, but it was a hell of a night, and the fan's in the Nat are finally starting to get the energy going. Even trailing into the third, and then going down by two, the place was hot. It wasn't until the last couple of minutes that it started to wind down.

So boo hoo, buddy. You missed a good time. That was something I learned at my first hockey game, it can turn around in a matter of seconds. A lucky bounce here, a bad pass there, and bingo...the tide turns.

raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 02:15 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

The truth is, we all choose how to spend our money. We all choose to support this team or not. I can understand the dilemma, but I wonder, why was he there alone?? If you're going to check something out for the first time, I would ask to see if someone wants to go, maybe someone thats a little more experienced in hockey, or whatever sport it is.

How can the guy enjoy a game if he has no clue with whats going on??

I used to live in Plain City, while London is a tad further West then that, I wouldn't say its a haul to the Nat by any means.

The Bottom line is, that they're are people that don't enjoy hockey, or simply chose to follow another pro sports franchise or league much closer than they do the NHL.

To each his own I guess.

Its depressing when something like that happens, but its not our responsibility to control which games the teams players show up for, its coaches and management.... It may sound a little harsh, but just by getting the guy to the arena and having him spend his money, the Jackets PR team and the media did their jobs.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 12-17-2006 at 04:46 PM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 05:44 PM
jagpanzer

Two ladies sat behind me and it was their first hockey game ever. One of the two just moved here from Minnesota and wanted to come see a game.

She was cheering at the team and the play the whole time - she had more heart and feeling about what was going on that a ton of people I've sat near in the past.

Even when we were down she was still going. When it was all over the guys behind me apologized that they couldn't deliver the win and hoped she'd be back again. She said "Definitely - it was a great time!"

So I guess the Jackets are still +1 for new fans last night.

jagpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Why on earth did they only order 15?
I work at an EB Games outlet. We don't order the stuff in; the makers just send however many they decide to send, and we have to make do. I'm going to assume that this holds true at Toys-R-Us as well.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 07:07 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I think this is turning into "Sad State: 15 Wii's only in stock"

Its obvious, Demand is high, so supply must be low...simple economics
as soon Demand is low, the marketplace will be flooded.

The 360 has been out for over a year, I fail to see the genius in releasing only a few systems so people can literally kill each other (One man in Arkansas was shot in the face after getting one of the original shipment of PS3's I heard) for them. There are plenty of people willing to pay all this money for these systems, as long as they're available.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Millions Livio

I was at Best Buy on Black Friday and there were 360's right by the checkout counter just sitting there, tons of them. I found it amusing that barley a year later there were people that would kill for them and yet plenty were just sitting there. Same will happen to the Wii and PS3, in a month or so after the holidays plenty will be around..

As for the Wii, I might get one, but I'll wait until some more games and online play are available. I'm a PC gamer so it might tide me over until some of the better games come out next fall for the PC..

As for the main topic, the guy was ignorant, he only gave the game 12 minutes, if that's all he was willing to give I doubt he would have stayed regardless, as it was stated eariler there were people there that stuck with it until the end of the game and liked it. People are all different, you cannot use this guy as a poster boy for the entire population of nonfans and call it canon to the issue..

Millions Livio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 07:54 PM
X0ssbar

Yeah it sounds to me like this guy was just looking for an excuse to not like the sport. Now after a 12 minute sample he'll say "yeah..I went to an NHL game once...it sucked..I left after 10 mins in".

The game didn't lose in this situation..that individual did. I also firmly believe that if we would have went up 4-0 the guy would have left as well and found something else to complain about... Its unfortunate but there really isn't much you can do or say when an individual walks through the door wanting to dislike something.

The NHL does face an uphill battle getting the casual fan's attention but they can't work 12 minutes miracles and convert stubborness. You have to pick your battles more carefully - this particular case just isn't worth the energy IMHO

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Pluckfur

Fortunately, for this remarkable 12 -minute -man there will be hundreds and hundreds of wins to snag him back with. Newbies can't be expected to know anything about hockey much less anything about the Blue Jackets. This team is special and beloved to us "old timers" because someday we'll have the extra added enjoyment of knowing we all stuck it out through the hell and discouragement of our first 6 seasons and every victory will be sweeter for us than for any others.

The victories will come and so shall the bandwagon ... all in due time.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 10:12 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender11 View Post
Often.
Yeah, but that's due to a heartless woman...

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 06:59 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mta3 View Post
The lesson here from Hossua is clear - NEVER TRAIL IN A GAME. That guy from London represents the future of the Jackets and all is lost. We're finished. Kaput. May as well move the team to Portland now.
Gotta admit, colorful hyperbole included, that this is what I was thinking reading the first post. Perhaps the dude from London should have emailed Hitch or GMDM or the McConnells or at least Footer and said he was coming and to put on a good show 'cuase it was his first game and if they want him as a fan they better get on the stick. Maybe he'll call Dougie's show on Wednesday and complain, and Doug will give him free tickets.

EDIT: It sucks for sure, but what can be done about it? And there's no blame anywhere, except maybe for the guy himself.

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 12-18-2006 at 07:21 AM.
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
It's always nice to feel like a promoter of the game and help others enjoy it by teaching them the basics but to be honest, I don't think this guy really ever liked hockey anyway. I'm a sport fan and gave the Crew a try once, I was on a boost Columbus kick.....they got beat bad, the game was slow and I hated the whole thing....I never went back. But I hated watching soccer long before I ever went to that first game anyway so the team and Crew fans lost nothing by me never going back.....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Handyy

Just a thought, but if there are lots of people who come to see the game without knowing the rules and trying to see if the game is for you, Jackets should do a brochure for these people to pick up where they could learn about the basics of hockey. Or a DVD with the same idea to give out for first-timers, it would pay out with some of those first-timers coming back because they would know the rules better.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Pluckfur

This dope from London be damned. A man who isn't even curious enough about the sport or experience to hang through the full first period of play is not a guy who is ever going to read a brochure or view a DVD on how to spot icing. There's already a perfectly good repsository of hockey information for anyone who wants to get it...it's called the internet. Honestly, eff this idiot and the broken down mule he rode in on. Enough.

Old
12-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Cambion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
*raises hand*

i like to be able to concentrate on the game and not have to talk to anyone.
if i can gert my wife to let me go by myself, but at least we have one thing in common, (me = athiest her = very religious)(me = pro choice her =pro life) the list goes on

Cambion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 09:22 AM
Handyy

I think DVD's would make it easier to understand, when you could watch the actual situation rather than reading it from the Internet, example bluejackets.com. It should feel like it's fun to learn the rules instead of trying to memorize sentences. Well, at least it would work for me better. I learned some rules about football that way before I saw the Super Bowl few years back (they had a brief "learning rules" section before showing the game, because no-one in Finland knows about that game). Made the viewing experience much more fun, I would have been lost with just the Internet.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 10:08 AM
The Dancin' Beaver

Send a message via Yahoo to The Dancin' Beaver
A DVD is a good idea. They could make it in segments, each segment dealing with a different aspect of the game. They could then offer the DVD at different locations (promotional appearances and such) and put the segments individualy on the team website. Gare and and Davidge could do most of it (the spots they do on Ice Breaker are pretty good) with guest appearances by some of the players.

The Dancin' Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Pluckfur

I just don't get how a brochure of rules or a DVD of ... what? erm, icings? line changes? hooking? Is going to tempt anyone to want to watch a hockey game.

Here's my bottom line logic... this guy from London, OH had the unmitigated GOOD FORTUNE to stumble into the middle of a game between two teams - Team Chicago is coached by DENIS SAVARD!! and replete with players Marty Havlat, Nikolai Khabibulin, and Peter Bondra. Team Columbus is coached by one of the great coaches in the NHL Ken Hitchcock whose current team boasts Rick Nash, Adam Foote, and Sergei Fedorov. London man is treated to a startling opening to the game wherein 4 goals (yes 4! 4 NHL goals!) are scored in the first seven minutes of the period. Not only has bonerhead man stumbled into a fantastic arena but he's plopped down next to a very nice people (hossua and his dad) who are obviously willing to share insight and information with London man and this guy can't be BOTHERED to sit through the entire 20 minute period. Seriously, how is a leaflet or a DVD he's unable to view going to influence the guy to stay put much less make a return trip?

There is only one way to bring new fans in and to keep them coming back. Put a quality team on the ice that plays a vibrant and quality game that leads to wins. Wins enough to put the team into the playoffs and from there to compete for one of the oldest and most storied championship titles in modern sport The Stanley Cup. Everything else is cheap and tawdry pimping of the greatest sport anywhere on earth.

Old
12-18-2006, 10:49 AM
raindog

I love how Pittsburgh is working to promote the Pens to the college kids. Every game they have a number of tickets that they make available for the "Student Rush" and they sell them to the students at a low price (can't remember off-hand, sorry, but it's like $10-$20.) And they aren't all nose-bleed seats either. As I recall, they are random throughout the arena. So, there are lower bowl seats, upper bowl, everywhere. And when I was there, the Rush line was halfway around the arena. That's a good tact. Those kids are going to be lifelong hockey fans. And we all know, once you see an NHL game live...well, there's just nothing else like it.

raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Pluckfur

Ya, Bender. Doug Maclean is one of the greatest promoters anywhere of the game of hockey. It is what he does best (next to robbing TB blind) ... I remember the opening season and the Red White and Boom celebration. Doug used that event to bring in Denis, Kevyn Adams, Kevin Dineen, and Tyler Wright - got them interacting with kids and their parents. There was air hockey and street hockey and a general carnival of celebration of the sport. Those are the types of things that woo fans to give hockey a good once over and bring them directly into flesh and blood contact with the game.

Had London man found the interest or motivation to stay put for the game...how much do you want to bet hossua would have told him about the post-game autograph session?

This guy had a marvelous opportunity and in my judgement, he really blew it. You invest in something and you'll get a return. If you aren't willing to invest ... heck with ya.

Old
12-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender11 View Post
I love how Pittsburgh is working to promote the Pens to the college kids. Every game they have a number of tickets that they make available for the "Student Rush" and they sell them to the students at a low price (can't remember off-hand, sorry, but it's like $10-$20.) And they aren't all nose-bleed seats either. As I recall, they are random throughout the arena. So, there are lower bowl seats, upper bowl, everywhere. And when I was there, the Rush line was halfway around the arena. That's a good tact. Those kids are going to be lifelong hockey fans. And we all know, once you see an NHL game live...well, there's just nothing else like it.
Being a college student, I can say that Jackets do similar things as well. I think they're just called "College Nights", but it's tickets for like $10 for 4 different games and a few free things. There were flyers around my dorm at the time of the first game.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote