HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings trade for Straka!

View Poll Results: Happy with the Straka trade?
Yes 53 89.83%
No 6 10.17%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2003, 07:16 PM
guzmania

vCash: 500
What's the over under on the first post saying that Straka is not the "top-six DT promised" at LGK?

If a deal was in order, and I think it was, this one has the most up-side for the least investment. So as far as I'm concerned I won't be happy until we have 9 top six forwards. Go DT.

Old
11-30-2003, 07:21 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
What's the over under on the first post saying that Straka is not the "top-six DT promised" at LGK?

If a deal was in order, and I think it was, this one has the most up-side for the least investment. So as far as I'm concerned I won't be happy until we have 9 top six forwards. Go DT.
i think this was a great deal for the Kings...kudos to DT...now the question is if those posters from that other site would be whining for a top 4 defenseman...

11-30-2003, 07:37 PM
stardog

I must say Im kinda surprised to read this thread. I came here expecting mostly jubilation.
For what it's worth, you will get most of your production out of Straka playing on the left wing with Stumpel as his center and Palffy as his right wing. His best year came when he played with Lang and Kovy and all three of them had huge breakout years that year.
He is a great addition to your line up. He will always give his best effort, never float, be a shining example of hard work and dedication for your younger players and never complain. He will take a hit to make a play and as I see it he is going to fit in very well on a line with guys who compliment his skill.This is what is being over looked as he has some of the best intangibles of anyone in the league. Frolov will benefit from watching Marty and that is HUGE in this deal.
Martin Straka is a fine person and i for one am sad to see him go. I am happy however that he went to the Kings as I follow them as well.
Let me tell you guys something else. Those of you who are concerned with his point totals this year, shouldn't be. Martin Straka was never a player who could "do it by himself". Instead he is a Perfect compliment player. Meaning if he isn't the main focus for the other teams defenders, he is going to eat the other team alive.
This season in Pitt, he was asked to be the main focus in our offense once Lemieux went down. He just isnt that guy. But I will say this. If the attention isn't soley on him (as it was in Pitt and wont be in LA), he is going to get you guys a point per game or damn near close to it.
A GREAT deal for LA....if I were a Kings fan first and foremost, and having seen Straka play hundereds of times, I would be ECSTATIC!!!
Mark my words LA....you guys are going to love this deal in a few weeks.

Good Luck Marty and thanks so much for all the hard work, memories and dedication over the years.

I've read alot about Anshakov but what can you tell me about Strbak? From a Pens P.O.V. is he going to help us? I know he didn't do alot for LA but keep in mind who we have on our defense compared to who LA has. Our top seven go Tarnstrom, Berehowsky,Melichar,Orpik,Bergevin, Boileau and Focht with Rozsival expected back in a week or two. Is he as good or better than any of the above mentioned and what kind of game will he bring?
Thanks in advance and congrats on getting Marty!

Old
11-30-2003, 07:46 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

It will be interesting to see how Straka reacts to the trade as he had said many times he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh. I will be watching him closely and the Kings have just become one of the few teams I will cheer for (unless they are playing the Pens, of coarse. )

Old
11-30-2003, 08:27 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
I must say Im kinda surprised to read this thread. I came here expecting mostly jubilation.
For what it's worth, you will get most of your production out of Straka playing on the left wing with Stumpel as his center and Palffy as his right wing. His best year came when he played with Lang and Kovy and all three of them had huge breakout years that year.
He is a great addition to your line up. He will always give his best effort, never float, be a shining example of hard work and dedication for your younger players and never complain. He will take a hit to make a play and as I see it he is going to fit in very well on a line with guys who compliment his skill.This is what is being over looked as he has some of the best intangibles of anyone in the league. Frolov will benefit from watching Marty and that is HUGE in this deal.
Martin Straka is a fine person and i for one am sad to see him go. I am happy however that he went to the Kings as I follow them as well.
Let me tell you guys something else. Those of you who are concerned with his point totals this year, shouldn't be. Martin Straka was never a player who could "do it by himself". Instead he is a Perfect compliment player. Meaning if he isn't the main focus for the other teams defenders, he is going to eat the other team alive.
This season in Pitt, he was asked to be the main focus in our offense once Lemieux went down. He just isnt that guy. But I will say this. If the attention isn't soley on him (as it was in Pitt and wont be in LA), he is going to get you guys a point per game or damn near close to it.
A GREAT deal for LA....if I were a Kings fan first and foremost, and having seen Straka play hundereds of times, I would be ECSTATIC!!!
Mark my words LA....you guys are going to love this deal in a few weeks.

Good Luck Marty and thanks so much for all the hard work, memories and dedication over the years.

I've read alot about Anshakov but what can you tell me about Strbak? From a Pens P.O.V. is he going to help us? I know he didn't do alot for LA but keep in mind who we have on our defense compared to who LA has. Our top seven go Tarnstrom, Berehowsky,Melichar,Orpik,Bergevin, Boileau and Focht with Rozsival expected back in a week or two. Is he as good or better than any of the above mentioned and what kind of game will he bring?
Thanks in advance and congrats on getting Marty!

i sure hope your right and thanks for the input!

as for strbak, he's probably a solid number 6 defender. i can't see him doing much better then that. as for now, he needs to accustom to the NA style, but after that, i think he'll do fairly well.

Old
11-30-2003, 10:10 PM
swinginutter*

"stardog"...........you hit it spot on! I mean I really didn't want to continue reading this thread, but a few of you saved it. HELLO, everyone wake the ***** up!
How in the world anybody could complain about this trade is a straight joke! DT didn't give up a roster player, not one! What do you want? This guy had over 90pts a few season ago, and don't even bother justifying it, because stats don't lie. I don't give a ***** who he played with either. The problem to me is most of you have not seen most teams besides LA, but you all for some weird reason know how some dude in Russia plays. You probably don't even know what the guy looks like. I'm not trying to be a d*ck, but seriously you guys will be eating your words when you see Marty play, i've always been a big fan of his, and now he's ours.
I don't really know what kind of games some of you enjoy, but when you get a chance to see a dynamic player like Straka it's great entertainment.
I also agree with "sydor25" on Deadmarsh. He's had the same string of concussions like Lindros did. And as much as I hate to say it, he may be gone. It's even worse to know that CJ could have ended his career. If this team was healthy (I mean really healthy) we'd be the best team in this league, hands down!

Old
12-01-2003, 01:00 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

look, my whole gripe about the issue has nothing to do with straka as a player, but what we gave up for him. i'm not complaining about adding a top 6er, but i really dislike the fact that we gave up anshakov. i think he has a lot of potential and had we kept him, we would have him in our possession for years to come.

look at how our prospects have been helping us out so far. yes, we don't know how anshakov will turn out, but so far our prospects have been pretty damn good. what makes u think anshakov won't also progress as everyone else seemingly has.

what about straka? 2 years and he's UFA. ok, u say, there's short term benefits... but what's that? he's a 95 point season 3 years ago, great, but how about now? u know and i know that that's most likely the best he'll ever do. if he reaches 60 this year, i'll be happy, but his numbers so far this year aren't that great. but again, don't get me wrong. i say these things but it doesn't mean i don't want him. it's great we got him, just that i wish it were to be at a lower price. had we traded a prospect who was a bit lower ranked the anshakov + strbak + draft pick, then i think i would be happy. as sponge, i think, said before, anshakov rounds out our top prospects. he's in the group of guys i really didn't want to let go.

Old
12-01-2003, 05:15 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
*** RONNING FOR KARALAHTI - "It's a steal. Great trade!"
*** YUSHKEVICH for LILJA/BEDNAR - "It's a steal. Great trade!"

do i sense a trend?

What did the Kings lose in these deals to deepen up the team for the rest of a year? NOTHING!!!!

They were great deals at the time... your post is extremely shortsighted and doesn't take into account the depth of the Kings farm system, the injries they've sustained, the Kings willingness to take on about $8 mil in salary over the next 2 years.

This may work, it may not... but they didn't give up a lot considering their depth and you can't sit idley by while players drop like flies. Season ticket holders have enough to complain about aside from Tim Leiweke's big *** mouth.

The Kings almost had to do this... I don't see any "trends"

Old
12-01-2003, 06:28 AM
punchy1

This is a better post for the other Kings board Tubby. It attacks the org and isn't really true. I like your posts so I'm not slamming you or anythng, it's just that most of us Kings fans like the deal and have been asking for it and when it happens, you jump in here (after being mia for a bit.) and post your dissatisfaction with the deal but from what I can see with no solid reason. You can't be seriously saying that Ronning and Yushkevich are anything close to as stellar of a player that Straka is. I wasn't thrilled with the Yush deal when it happened and thought that we didn't do as well as we could have when we got Ronning but after looking at how things happened, the only player that we "lost" in the deals that is really an NHL type of fellow is Lilja and we have better than him waiting to play for us in Manchester. Bednar no thank you. Kharalti, well, there is a sad story. My mate died of a heroin over dose and he was a gifted pianist. Had a record deal. Played for big band at the Sydney hall. (the pretty one mates with the sails for ceilings) Bloody wealthy and a celebrity where I am and with all of that, even though he flew to the states 6 times to rehab, he still died from it. If Karalahti was a clean and sober guy he would still be in the NHL and probably still a King. He wasn't and he isn't and he isn't so again, the only fellow lost that is actually getting a salary and making any dent in the NHL is Lilja.

To boot it all we dealt two non rostered players to land an All Star calliber forward who plays all three positions. Bloody genius if you ask me. I hate giving up Anshankov but am fine that one of the best GM's in the game and probably the best GM in the Los Angeles Kings history thought it was a good deal. I also as usual agree with Face Wash that the team is in a position where they truly needed to do this deal. They could have not done it and we might have been alright but, how do you say no to this when it takes a forward who is near the bottom of our skilled forward prospects on the depth chart and a defenceman that is about the same and gives a rostered legitimate top six player? I think we had to make the deal all things considered. I would be interested why you think that this particular deal fits in with the ones you mentioned Tubby. I simply don't see it mate.

Old
12-01-2003, 06:33 AM
guzmania

Well I see a trend - once again we got better at a extremely low cost. I am amazed that we were able to outbid everyone else with 2 players who are not in the league. As far as Anshakov's potential goes - His potential, a nickle and $.95 get you a dollar today - that may be gone tommorrow - or be $5.00 8 years from now. Please let's not overthink this thing - concensus around the league is that once again we've stolen a very good player.

Old
12-01-2003, 06:37 AM
punchy1

It also occures to me that there may be circumstances (I bloody well bet there are) that made this deal happen the way it did. What if it were a situation where DT had a deal with lesser talent or picks sitting on the table and the Pens where considering it when a team in their division made a better offer that the Pens were considering? They may have given DT a shot at making a comparible or better offer in order to not have Straka go to a rival and it could have been one of those deals that happened in a manner that forced us to make it when and how we did.

I guess i am just supposing these things because I keep reading how people think we overpaid and such and I not only see it differently but I also think we need to remember that we don't know what really happens behind closed doors. Could be that DT skinned the kitty on this one like it looks he did.

Old
12-01-2003, 07:13 AM
VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to VEGASKING
I dont know anything about the kid we gave up but I'd do this trade every day of the week and twice on Sunday. If Straka plays with Ziggy and Stumpel he will average a point per game and he'll be a huge boost to an anemic power play. I dont know how many points you expect someone to score when they are the only top 6 forward on their whole team with Mario injured. He's tied for the team lead in points and plays 2 and a half minutes more per game than the next highest forward. He's only played less than 70 games once in the last 10 years so this injury talk is unfounded.

Old
12-01-2003, 08:33 AM
Kings Fanatic

Anshakov is a decent but not great prospect, which makes this a very good trade for the Kings. Stardog, Strbak is pretty much a stiff. This is his first year in NA and he did look a bit lost out there. Hopefully he can produce for the Pens.

Old
12-01-2003, 08:33 AM
MOOSE55

Send a message via ICQ to MOOSE55
I'm one of the few that vote no, mainly because it would burn me to see another Kings prospect become a star for anouther team. I was happy with the way the Kings were currently playing considering our injuries. Also, I'm not big on having another midget skating around out there. The last thing I want to see is Straka get injured our struggle. If he plays good and meshes with the other players, then the trade was worth it. We do have lots of forward prospects to spare, and Anshankov isn't even a top 5 prospect for us. I'm not unhappy about the trade, but I'm not as overjoyed as some.

Old
12-01-2003, 09:24 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSE55
I'm one of the few that vote no, mainly because it would burn me to see another Kings prospect become a star for anouther team. I was happy with the way the Kings were currently playing considering our injuries. Also, I'm not big on having another midget skating around out there. The last thing I want to see is Straka get injured our struggle. If he plays good and meshes with the other players, then the trade was worth it. We do have lots of forward prospects to spare, and Anshankov isn't even a top 5 prospect for us. I'm not unhappy about the trade, but I'm not as overjoyed as some.

my thoughts exactly...

Old
12-01-2003, 09:28 AM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Listening to NHL Live right now and they're saying that Allison's meds weren't working and he is back off the skates, so maybe Straka pretty much signals the end of the season for Allison

Old
12-01-2003, 10:19 AM
swinginutter*

I'm speechless! I really want, what some of you smoke. I think most of you forgot, there are 28 other teams that could have had Straka for next to nothing, but we got him for basically a 2nd rounder and a 8th/9th rounder. Sometimes I wonder what games you guys watch, and i'm interested to know how I can watch games from Russia? Because the way everyone is crying abot Anshakov, makes it seem like he's the next Kovalchuk. I know most of us can only go off of stats and articles regarding our prospects playing abroad. So, since none of you know how Straka plays, start reading his stats. And this is the NHL, again the NHL, one more time the NHL! The best league in the world! And he's produced in it. We may never see some of our prospects, but some of you like to live in fantasy land.
As far as size, here we go again. Cammy is making most of you haters, eat your words. And he plays with balls something our big players lack. Yes, we're a small team but for some weird reason.......Avery, Sim, Cammy, Lubo, Palffy, (Kanko-in the future)..etc.........play with bigger nads than our big guys, kinda' funny if you ask me.

Old
12-01-2003, 01:09 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
Well I see a trend - once again we got better at a extremely low cost. I am amazed that we were able to outbid everyone else with 2 players who are not in the league. As far as Anshakov's potential goes - His potential, a nickle and $.95 get you a dollar today - that may be gone tommorrow - or be $5.00 8 years from now. Please let's not overthink this thing - concensus around the league is that once again we've stolen a very good player.
that's the thing that really gets me: if this was their best deal, what was everyone else offering? stick bags and six packs schlitz?

my manin concern with straka was that he would cost us too much - but i never imagined that he could be had for two non-roster players.

my only ther concern is that straka is pretty small, and it would be really nice to have some more size up front. however, i don't see too many guys in our price range that can score, skate, and have good size, so there's not much to be done about it. it would have been nice to get wiemer before he went to minnesota, but oh well.

overall, good trade. also important for the message that it send to the players: we're here to win this year.

Old
12-01-2003, 02:57 PM
MOOSE55

Send a message via ICQ to MOOSE55
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
I'm speechless! I really want, what some of you smoke. I think most of you forgot, there are 28 other teams that could have had Straka for next to nothing, but we got him for basically a 2nd rounder and a 8th/9th rounder. Sometimes I wonder what games you guys watch, and i'm interested to know how I can watch games from Russia? Because the way everyone is crying abot Anshakov, makes it seem like he's the next Kovalchuk. I know most of us can only go off of stats and articles regarding our prospects playing abroad. So, since none of you know how Straka plays, start reading his stats. And this is the NHL, again the NHL, one more time the NHL! The best league in the world! And he's produced in it. We may never see some of our prospects, but some of you like to live in fantasy land.
As far as size, here we go again. Cammy is making most of you haters, eat your words. And he plays with balls something our big players lack. Yes, we're a small team but for some weird reason.......Avery, Sim, Cammy, Lubo, Palffy, (Kanko-in the future)..etc.........play with bigger nads than our big guys, kinda' funny if you ask me.
Chill out, We're not totally against the trade, but we're not jumping up and down like you aparently are. Nobody said Straka isn't a good player,
and yes I'm a bit concerned about having a team where most of the current players are under 6 feet. Fleury, Kemensky(sp) and Bure were all good players and how much good did they do the Rangers? Yes this trade looks good now, but what happens if Straka doesn't produce, gets injured, or Anshankov becomes the next Forsberg? The team is 1st in their division despite the injuries, there's always a SLIGHT possibility that a shake-up can do more bad then good. The trade is probably in our favour, but unlike you, me and KPD and whoever else voted no, aren't jumping to conclusions yet.Forthe record, I've always supported Cammy. So if I were you, I wouldn't be worried about what we're smoking and start upping your own dossage(sp), before you read my post and spaz out again.If there was a neutral slot to this poll, I would've voted for it.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:16 PM
king997

vCash:
Yea the Kings made a good trade.

Last edited by David A. Rainer: 12-02-2003 at 07:48 AM.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:21 PM
punchy1

I am no shakerspear but really mate, that is going to be the way you introduce yourself to your fellow fans. Why bother? Oh well, hamsters take chilli pills to stay toasty or whatever else they say for cheers mate in the mental home that you are writting from.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:41 PM
Frolov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
Listening to NHL Live right now and they're saying that Allison's meds weren't working and he is back off the skates, so maybe Straka pretty much signals the end of the season for Allison

Someone from LGK went to the Kings training center this morning and said that Allison looked very good on the ice and was working very hard too.

Old
12-01-2003, 05:03 PM
LA Kings Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by king997
Yea the Kings made a good trade, and the apes charelton heston smelled like battered chicken in planet of the apes right? I dont think so, this nonsense is scored to eighty. I got three reasons for my horse listings and i cant define them enough. One, Greg Luganis is the forefather of paper bag sleeves, and the ginger raisin sunshined to chinese form. Second, there is no bubble on snail back, on airplane sticker smut. Finally Mexico has no tension in the rivers of yorkshire news helmet.

No roping on silver days
Sliding is not permitted on firepark
Taxiderm the pilot of Gordon Lightfoot

My life is three fold,
There is no juxtaposition in my life other than Peter Forsberg.
dude you lost me after the the kings made a good trade.
anyway thats good news on Allison

Old
12-01-2003, 05:06 PM
LA Kings Rule

just curious for those who think that we gave up to much in Anshakov, who do you guys tink we should have given up.

Old
12-01-2003, 06:32 PM
Frolov

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kings Rule
just curious for those who think that we gave up to much in Anshakov, who do you guys tink we should have given up.
He was the most expendable prospect anyone would want.

Obviously as Kings fans we would wanna dump Steckal and Lehoux but CP ain't that stupid.

Closed Thread