HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Dirtiest players in the NHL? Biggest ********?

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2003, 11:44 AM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Jarkko Ruutu really has an unfair reputation as a cheap player. He really isn't.

I have no problem saying other Canucks players are, but I don't think Ruutu is. Cooke is borderline and there are a few x-Canucks who fit this catergory. My list:

1. Keith Tkachuk- Yaps and only backs it up with his stick.
2. Chris Chelios- The worst for stick work. Small guy uses his stick for leverage.
3. Owen Nolan- See Tkachuk.
4. Kirk Maltby- Very unclean player.
5. Bill Guerin- Anger problem, stick-work
6. Bryan Marchment- Has dropped on the list but is still there.
7. Doug Weight- NEVER backs himself up (other than slashes/cross-checks)
8. Darcy Tucker- He has done some stupid things
9. Derien Hatcher- Too many hits from behind and stick work for such a big guy.
10. Willie Mitchell- And climbing fast...

I have nothing against these guys and think they play their parts well, just answering the question.
I like your list, but Weight being on there is a joke

Old
12-02-2003, 11:45 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
What his Mitchell ever done?

Old
12-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Bolthed

Hey, how many of these guys wear faceshields? Those are your biggest ******* right there, I tell ya.

Two faceshield-wearing SOBs that come to mind are Sean Hill and Brad Ference, and I don't think I've ever seen either ******* get into a fight (well, once Vinny Lecavalier pummelled Ference). It's too bad. Those gutless pukes deserve to pay.

Old
12-02-2003, 12:43 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed
Hey, how many of these guys wear faceshields? Those are your biggest ******* right there, I tell ya.

Two faceshield-wearing SOBs that come to mind are Sean Hill and Brad Ference, and I don't think I've ever seen either ******* get into a fight (well, once Vinny Lecavalier pummelled Ference). It's too bad. Those gutless pukes deserve to pay.
Exactly, visors should be for europeans only.

Old
12-02-2003, 12:57 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Yes, you are a ***** if you try and protect your eyes...

Old
12-02-2003, 12:59 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
OR if they want to continue to play with a broken JAW.

Old
12-02-2003, 01:02 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariyaIsGod
Yes, you are a ***** if you try and protect your eyes...
Protect your eyes, fine.

....But dont go on egging people AND wear the virsor (knowing they cant do ****, unless they want to punch glass) like gauthier, Cooke, Maltby etc.

Old
12-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeofWindsor
Wow, another genius that has obviously not watched the Leafs this season. Owen Nolan has had 2 or 3 fights so far, but I do not recall many cross-checking, slashing , spearing penalties.
And you have obviously not watched Nolan before his Maple Leaf days. He's a piece.

Old
12-02-2003, 01:15 PM
PigPen

Maltby had a career threatening eye injury when he was with Edmonton. That's why he wears the visor.

Old
12-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
What his Mitchell ever done?
I'm not sure either but I do recall him playing a while back with a full face shield (after he had an injury) and he was certainly dishing out the dirty stuff but no one wanted to touch him b/c of the shield.

Seemed to me at the time he was taking total advantage of his full facial protection.

edit: typo

Last edited by Thalia: 12-02-2003 at 01:50 PM.
Old
12-02-2003, 03:32 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
I thought he was standing up for his teammates since he's one of the only physical guys outside of Stevenson and Johnson last year.

Old
12-02-2003, 03:37 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
I thought he was standing up for his teammates since he's one of the only physical guys outside of Stevenson and Johnson last year.
Depends on which team you were cheering for.
I dislike him for closing his hand on the puck in game 2.

Old
12-02-2003, 05:54 PM
Afino
The Juice

Biggest goon of all time: Dino Ciccarelli. Heck, he even ended up in jail for being a cheap shot artist.

Goons list of today:
1. Marchment
2. The whole Toronto Maple Leafs team...just felt like they should all be together at #2....Exception: Gary Roberts. That man plays hard and clean (most of the time clean at least..not enough to make him a goon). A true competitor in every sense of the word.
3. Tkachuk...I think we've seen why.
4. Hatcher...I'm happy he's hurt, save injuries for many more.
5. Johnson....Cheap shotters should burn.
6. Roenick, he borders on that line between clean play/goon play way too much for my personal liking. But I guess you could lump him in with the Roberts, Scott Stevens of the world. Except Stevens is a sure HOF'er, they aren't.
7. Guerin...what a head case.

I just joined...I'll probably be adding/modifying this as I read more posts.

Old
12-02-2003, 06:00 PM
Oilers Hockey

I think the dirtiest players are the ones who leave their feet when they hit, or hold their elbow up when they check. Last but not least, the dirtiest are players who initiate knee-on-knee hits. Thats pretty bad sportsmanship.

Old
12-02-2003, 06:29 PM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Kirk Maltby

Old
12-02-2003, 07:10 PM
VO #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I say Rafaslki, Lidstrom and Kariya are the most dirty, damn the cheap shots they give.
Riiiight. Kariya has won two Lady Byngs. Rafalski's career high in penalty minutes is 48, and Lidstrom's is 23.

I think it would be a stretch to even call any of the three "chippy", let alone "dirty".

FWIW, my top three would be Marchment, Tucker, and Tkachuk.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:29 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwyck
BTW... that player that never backs himself up just got in a fight on Friday night.
Weight got in a fight with Dan Boyle, not sure if that really counts

Old
12-02-2003, 09:50 PM
VO #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I would like to add Nieuwendyk to that list, did you see the knee on knee he gave Marchment early in his career, poor Marchment couldn't even get out of the way.

Can you smell a bit of sarcasm yet.
Sarcasm doesn't come across so well in text, especially considering the person who said it is known for trollish behaviour.

Old
12-02-2003, 11:22 PM
stardog

Wow..surprised noone mentioned Kasparitis.

My votes go To Marchment, Maltby,Nolan,Tucker,Peca,Hill and Gary Roberts.
I cant stand any of these guys but Hill REALLY pisses me off. He is the first to pick a fight/act tough/facewash after a whistle if the guy in question is a skill guy. The very second a tough guy is on the ice he acts like a lady byng candidate. He is a true coward in every sense of the word. Runs and hides when he knows it is someone who can stand up to him. What a schoolyard bully
Throw Witt on the cheapshot list also.

Old
12-02-2003, 11:34 PM
lux_interior

The ones that come to mind:

Tkachuk
Chelios
Salei
Domi (ask Neidermayer)
Billy Smith
Bertuzzi
Vishnevski
Tucker

But then again, I like a little "dirty hockey" every now and again.

Old
12-03-2003, 12:16 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

My short list of cheap players, note that cheap means playing dirty while not backing it up in my vocabulary.

1) Clod "pepe" Lemieux

Oh how horrible it was, seeing him in a Stars uniform the last 2 years. I have disgraced " the Clod" ever since his existence and they say you'd love to have him on your side, but the hatred only grows bigger. For every 25 cheapshots, he fights once. And he always picks out the weakest link. He's like a young predator who's only able to attack the most vulnerable ones of the herd. I hate him, and I actually felt miserable rather then joy everytime when Claud scored a goal in a Stars uni.

2) Bryan "Mush" Marchment

He seriously is a horrible hockeyplayer with no defensive awareness and no skill what so ever. All he has is his cheap and rugged game and that's the only thing what's keeping him in this league. Best knee-to-knee-hitter in the game, best at knocking you out cold from behind with a vicious elbow. Mush is behind Pepe only because he rarely backs down when someone challenges him.

3) Peter Forsberg

One mighty fine All-Star and an awesome talent, but he has pulled too many slashes, spears and high sticks behind the refs' back for my likings. I hate Forsberg with passion, but I do realise his true skill and talent, however I can't overlook this part. And seeing him play 4 or more times vs the Stars, his antics become rather obvious and especially frustrating since he will never fight and back it up.

4) Richard Matvichuk

One hell of a warrior, played the entire 2003 season through multiple injuries and is a supurb physical player. He tries everything to stop the opposition, elbowing, highsticking, slashing, spearing, you name it. However, like Forsberg rarely fights (still one fight more then Foppa, Ensane ) and you can see how he frustrates the opponents with it. Ironicly, Peter Forsberg and Richard Matvichuk are eachothers biggest enemies. They often neutralize eachother.

5) Grindline

As effecient and productive the line is, each player plays a dirty game while not even thiking of backing it up. They grind with their sticks up, elbows up and try to run you at full speed when you are vulnarable. Never fight anymore, and for regular checking line players pulling this kind of illigal play, you at least except them to back up their actions.

Others include: Salei, Nolan, Tucker, Domi, Hatcher, Foote, Nash, Danton.

Old
12-03-2003, 06:55 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeofWindsor
Yes I have,

but I was unaware that we were talking about who has been the dirtiest player in the past.

I assumed we were talking about the present, how stupid of me.
How does that make any sense? There are tons of players mentioned in this thread that haven't done anything that dirty so far this season. A player's past plays heavily in this kind of thread and I assume that to be a given. If it said dirtiest players this season, you'd have a point. But, it says dirtiest players in the league. Guys like Hatcher aren't mentioned because of being dirty this season. It's hard for a player to reach the pinnacle of dirty play in 20 plus games in one season don't ya think?

Old
12-03-2003, 07:18 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
like Forsberg rarely fights (still one fight more then Foppa, Ensane )
They are even after this past preseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue44
I like your list, but Weight being on there is a joke
You must understand, some of them are still a bit sensitive after he put a gash in the skinny head of Sedin.

Neverfear, his bias seeps through earlier in the comment regarding Ruutu.

Last edited by Ensane: 12-03-2003 at 07:24 AM.
Old
12-03-2003, 07:39 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Players that come to mind for me are:

Hatcher - with his patented "Flying Elbows of Death" that he likes to connect to peoples temples.

Domi - Hit on Neidermeyer a few years ago was the jewel in his crown.

Tucker - The dude is PsYcHo...he'll do everything within his power to maintain his "dirty" label...but if you do it to him back...he cries and b1tches like a little girl.

Chelios - If you're too old to keep up with 'em...why not use your stick to slow 'em down.

Marchment - Mr. Knees himself

Peca - He's a vindictive little runt...but he's good at it

Bertuzzi - He's not necessarily dirty...it might just be the fact that he's a freaking grizzly bear and doesn't know how to stop...he'll just go right through you.

Weight and Tkatchuk - I'll lump these stick-work Mary's together...

...and I"ll throw a name out that hasn't been thrown out...

Daniel Alfredsson - if you piss him off...you better watch out. He's gotta be one of the worst "stick men" in the league when he's in a mood. Just ask Tucker

And finally...I must commend the Leaf fans on here for not mentioning Marian Hossa for his rogue stick accident on Bryan Berard a few years back.

Old
12-03-2003, 07:50 AM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Owen Nolan. Watch him play a whole shift, the only thing on his mind is being a ******* :p He could care more about punching a Euro in the back of the head then scoring.

Closed Thread