HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hitch on Wall to Wall Sports ...

Old
12-17-2006, 11:37 PM
jacketracket*

vCash: 500
Hitch on Wall to Wall Sports ...

... right now!

Discuss!

jacketracket* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 11:40 PM
anteater90

Saying all the right things.

anteater90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 11:44 PM
jacketracket*

Probably didn't merit a thread, but I wanted to let posters know he was on, so they could tune in ...

I was impressed with the questions Tim May asked (he managed to stay away from the OSU thing!), and his mention of Nash's improved D play. He asked Hitch what he had said to the team during the TOs in Phoenix and Saturday night, as the team seemed to respond quickly.

Good stuff!

Old
12-17-2006, 11:48 PM
anteater90

Head Coach in a live interview always merits a thread.

anteater90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 07:52 AM
X0ssbar

So what was said fellas...fill us in..?

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 08:27 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I missed it.....I'm not taking any credit for this but a few voices may help. Last week after a poster commented how W/W sports did not even mention the Jackets last Sunday I sent an intense E-mail to the sport director of channel 10....I told them they may as well call the show W/W Buckeyes.....and continued with the request that other local sport needs to be at least mentioned, and of course stumped for the Jackets, even if they lose now and then.

I'm glad to hear they did something on the jackets, we need more coverage by them and it appears we got some.

I went after Teberi also (I don't care for him to much), I may be wrong but I personnally think he is a Buckeye first and formost only guy, I asked that if he did not know or care for the NHL to get a sport reporter whos does......

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 09:12 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
So what was said fellas...fill us in..?
I saw the interview last night and he said all the usual, as in, "like it here" "good team" "dug ourselves a hole last night" etc etc... nothing new. Wasn't on very long.

I was distracted by several things (see below) which probably caused me to NOT remember anything specific other than what I mentioned above.

1) Hitch is actually a good interview! He was happy, chatty, rather soft-spoken, and never once licked his lips like GG used to do. No ego or sports-guy posturing like DM.

2) Looming behind him was the OSU mural with the football player (Smith?) in full view.

3) For a show called "Wall to Wall" sports, it's still mostly about the Bucks, including the set. I'm a Buckeye fan, but geesh, can't they put ONE guy in the audience with a BJ jersey on when the coach visits?

Thanks Robert for firing off your rant. Dead on! ...and maybe it worked. After Hitch's interview, maybe they'll do more. (I remember seeing Nash on W2W last year, but it was lame, not hard hitting. WBNS needs to get some serious sports reporters in there, not cheerleaders).

ALERT: Rimer doing Spielman's show today on 1460thefan.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 09:51 AM
jacketracket*

I kvetched about it last week. A day after Smith had won the Heisman (a day after all three local news programs led off with Smith's story, and the local rag devoted tons of ink to it) and we still can't even get mention of our CBJ putting a hurt on a Cup contender (Ottawa), a game that had just ended less than two hours prior to the show.

As for last night's show, color me unimpressed (having had time to sleep on it). Beggers can't be choosers in Buckeyeland, but if you've got the head coach and savior of the only major-league sports team in town on your show, give him more than 2-3 minutes before starting the Buckeye knob-gobbling.

Hitch mentioned talking to Freddy before pulling him Saturday ("we need a new focus ..."), and that he expects him to bounce back for tonight's game.

May asked him about the time-outs. He said he told the guys what they needed to do in Phoenix that wasn't getting done, and that Saturday night's TO was more just a chance to get the guys through the shock of laying a four-goal-against egg in front of a nearly-full house.

Again, hats off to May for not asking Hitch if he thought Nash would be a better DE or LB for the Bucks.

Old
12-18-2006, 11:48 AM
DougKnowsBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket View Post

Again, hats off to May for not asking Hitch if he thought Nash would be a better DE or LB for the Bucks.
nash would be a tight end. he doesnt have enough of a nasty streak to play on the dline.

OK is the only linebacker i see out there.

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Kfarschman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
nash would be a tight end. he doesnt have enough of a nasty streak to play on the dline.

Klesla?

Kfarschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post

I think Svitov would love linebacker duty. Boyfriend has a lovely mean streak.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Pluckfur

I didn't catch the WtoW show... but it sounds like Hitch said pretty much the same thing he did in the Dispatch this morning. It's terribly comforting (and refreshing) to have a coach who can actually answer the specifics of the question "So, coach, what went so terribly wrong in last night's game and how do you fix it?"

Gimme three hell yeahs!

I was also bemused with Foote's response to watching from the pressbox as the last couple of games unfolded. That Foote would have given his opinion/analysis of the breakdowns on the ice if GG were still coach approaches slim to none.

Old
12-18-2006, 04:33 PM
jacketracket*

Hitchcock is an interesting interview. I hope these guys (and other local media types) pick up on that, and get the guy on the air more often.

Old
12-18-2006, 04:49 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket View Post
I kvetched about it last week. A day after Smith had won the Heisman (a day after all three local news programs led off with Smith's story, and the local rag devoted tons of ink to it) and we still can't even get mention of our CBJ putting a hurt on a Cup contender (Ottawa), a game that had just ended less than two hours prior to the show.

As for last night's show, color me unimpressed (having had time to sleep on it). Beggers can't be choosers in Buckeyeland, but if you've got the head coach and savior of the only major-league sports team in town on your show, give him more than 2-3 minutes before starting the Buckeye knob-gobbling.

Hitch mentioned talking to Freddy before pulling him Saturday ("we need a new focus ..."), and that he expects him to bounce back for tonight's game.

May asked him about the time-outs. He said he told the guys what they needed to do in Phoenix that wasn't getting done, and that Saturday night's TO was more just a chance to get the guys through the shock of laying a four-goal-against egg in front of a nearly-full house.

You said "knob gobbling"

And yeah, the timeouts question was the only interesting one they asked I thought. Thanks for reminding me. Hitch seems very soft-spoken, not the ogre he was presented as being prior to being signed.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Luno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
I think Svitov would love linebacker duty. Boyfriend has a lovely mean streak.
Zherdev=Place kicker

Luno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 02:25 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luno View Post
Zherdev=Place kicker
nah... long snapper.

Marty Havlat has the "place kicker" role down pat.