HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Danny Gare

Old
12-18-2006, 09:09 AM
tgerace23

vCash: 500
Danny Gare

Please dont renew his contract. Sometimes I turn off the TV sound and turn on the radio just because I cant stand Danny Gare.

tgerace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Duuuuuuuuuuvie

Send a message via AIM to Duuuuuuuuuuvie
Gare is an annoying second-rate minor-league-whining weasel that needs to be replaced. All he does is complain about the lack of calls the Jackets get and is the biggest homer that he makes me sick.

Don't get me wrong, it's good for an anouncer to show some home town pride. But he is so one-sided that he sounds more like an annoying complaining fan than an announcer.

The worst thing is he's turned Rimmer into the same thing. Just the other day, when OK was punched, that's all they talked about for 2 periods. They never once mentioned that OK threw the first suckerpunch in the scrum because they are oblivious to anything we do wrong.

Same game, Vyborny is about to shoot in the offensive zone and he gets his stick lifted by a good defensive play. First thing Rimmer does is cry foul, and does so for 5 minutes until they show a replay proving how dumb the two of them are.

And when something doesn't get called, they harp on it for 10 minutes. Call the game, make accurate observations and give honest opinions, but please don't whine and complain like a 9 year old.

Duuuuuuuuuuvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgerace23 View Post
Please dont renew his contract. Sometimes I turn off the TV sound and turn on the radio just because I cant stand Danny Gare.
Yes, he seems like a likable dude, but boy is he rough on the ears. Rimer's homerisms are getting terribly annoying as well.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj0su04 View Post
Gare is an annoying second-rate minor-league-whining weasel that needs to be replaced. All he does is complain about the lack of calls the Jackets get and is the biggest homer that he makes me sick.

Don't get me wrong, it's good for an anouncer to show some home town pride. But he is so one-sided that he sounds more like an annoying complaining fan than an announcer.

The worst thing is he's turned Rimmer into the same thing. Just the other day, when OK was punched, that's all they talked about for 2 periods. They never once mentioned that OK threw the first suckerpunch in the scrum because they are oblivious to anything we do wrong.

Same game, Vyborny is about to shoot in the offensive zone and he gets his stick lifted by a good defensive play. First thing Rimmer does is cry foul, and does so for 5 minutes until they show a replay proving how dumb the two of them are.

And when something doesn't get called, they harp on it for 10 minutes. Call the game, make accurate observations and give honest opinions, but please don't whine and complain like a 9 year old.
Its sad, I know. I don't want to be the team with the most biased tv commentators in the league. My wife, who watches every game, made the comment the other night that they were "trying to make her hate Rick Nash" by over selling the guy and over promoting every play he makes on the ice.

Old
12-18-2006, 10:42 AM
raindog

Funny thing. I was watching the Colorado/Chicago game last night, and Colorado's announcer was actually really well versed in Hockey, and had some interesting things to say. But there was zero excitement in his voice. If we had him, I have zero doubt we would be tearing him to shreads for his lack of involvement with the team.

Rimmer and Gare are like the annoying guys who sit two rows behind you. I just choose to tune them out and focus on the game. Though some nights that's easier said than done.

raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Pluckfur

Jesus God, who ARE you people?

Danny Gare is a homer? uh, yeah, maybe for Buffalo.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Zipsix

I can't agree with this thread because it fails to distinguish between Rimer and Gare. Rimer is the problem; Gare is just stuck with the biggest uninformed homer goofball in the business. I'm not sure anyone could shine in that situation.

Zipsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipsix View Post
I can't agree with this thread because it fails to distinguish between Rimer and Gare. Rimer is the problem; Gare is just stuck with the biggest uninformed homer goofball in the business. I'm not sure anyone could shine in that situation.

I think you make a good point. Gare is naturally going to be cued by the play by play man in alot of his commentary. Rimmer, I would agree, is generally the Homer of the two. My only point of contention is that Englom also worked with Rimmer, and managed to provide alot more enjoyable insight.

Old
12-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Casework

I really don't mind Gare all that much, and even Rimer isn't bad when he's not with Gare(like today when he was on Spielman on Sports). But especially lately when they're together, they're starting to get really bad.

But no one will ever be as bad as Jim Day.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post

Print that on some bumper stickers and I'd buy it.

Old
12-18-2006, 03:28 PM
disgruntledPSLholder

get both of them out of there, put george and bill on the tv and radio

disgruntledPSLholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 03:29 PM
DJAnimosity
#BattleOn

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
Careful what you say 'round here - this board doubles as the HF Chapter of the Central Ohio Jim Day Lovers.

I said the same thing a few weeks ago and you would have thought I had punched a baby.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 03:35 PM
gonz

Comparatively, after Brian Engblom, Danny Gare is Jeff Rimer.

gonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 03:36 PM
raindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Careful what you say 'round here - this board doubles as the HF Chapter of the Central Ohio Jim Day Lovers.

I said the same thing a few weeks ago and you would have thought I had punched a baby.
Really?! I can tolerate anyone else on the broadcast but Jim Day makes me want to throw things at the tv. Every single time he's on. It has to be a really interesting interview to keep me watching during the breaks when he's on. Fire Day!

raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 03:37 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I puke when I get embarassed for people. And I'm puking for all you noobs who think HFboards is for you to slam decent guys like Gare and Rims.

First... you don't start a "you suck" thread about an individual. Have some class -or at least some compassion. (Even pluckfur, our resident bathead-biter-offer, is shocked.)

Second... the bar has been set higher on our HF CBJ board than it is on other boards. Sarcasm and wit are more appreciated than these Coke vs Pepsi high school arguments.

Third... Read the old threads before posting new. The subject of our announcers and local sportscasting has been well-debated.

Now, normally I'm in charge of the Sister Mary Sunshine brigade around here, but please.

=In before the lock, if there is a God.=

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Nordique

Yeah I'm shocked you got some Jim Day backlash as well, though I've long suspected that he posts on this board under the alias DougMustGo.

JacketFan: You're right, the Ad Hominem crap always drags these threads down, but the bottom line is that alot of us aren't happy with the team on FSN and the way they call the games.

Old
12-18-2006, 03:39 PM
DJAnimosity
#BattleOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender11 View Post
Really?! I can tolerate anyone else on the broadcast but Jim Day makes me want to throw things at the tv. Every single time he's on. It has to be a really interesting interview to keep me watching during the breaks when he's on. Fire Day!
I'm with you - that's why I was floored by the JD lovefest. I've also had the opportunity to meet Day in person and he's even LESS charismatic off-screen as he is on - if that's possible. He has the personality of a box of Cracker Jack.

Old
12-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
JacketFan: You're right, the Ad Hominem crap always drags these threads down, but the bottom line is that alot of us aren't happy with the team on FSN and the way they call the games.
Coming from a purely broadcasting and business viewpoint, as Radio and TV Broadcasting is my major, FSN definitely has some issues. I'm not bashing them, and bottom line is, I'm glad they bring us nearly every Jackets game. But from someone who has done the jobs they do, some things, even some simple miscues and mistakes, really surprise me that professionals can sometimes seem so amateur. I'm not calling out any particular person or mistake, but some of the things I see wouldn't fly in a student run production, and I don't see how some of these people are getting paid to do the things they do.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 03:47 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Yeah I'm shocked you got some Jim Day backlash as well, though I've long suspected that he posts on this board under the alias DougMustGo.

And the NFL, and Bill Walton on the NBA, and Marv Albert, and and and virtually every sportscaster going back to Jimmy Crum (who was disliked by my father for his taste in sportscoats).

A few of you aren't happy.
A message board is mostly about magnification, and only occasionally about illumination.

Would Top Shelf post this thread? No. Case closed.
"WWTSD" -the new standard.

Old
12-18-2006, 03:52 PM
disgruntledPSLholder

just because we don't view everything concerning this team through rose-colored glasses doesn't mean we're all ********. rimer and gare are decent guys, so what? that has absolutely NO bearing on their skills as broadcasters, or lack thereof. no one here is saying that they're terrible human beings, just that they suck at their jobs, which is completely accurate. stop whining.

disgruntledPSLholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 03:55 PM
DJAnimosity
#BattleOn

JF - with all due respect, spare me. If we're all posting like Top Shelf (who is indeed a damn good poster, don't get me wrong), we may as well all pack up and go home. I'm here to read and respond to rants, optimism, trolling, and everything in between.

I counter with MY new standard - if it doesn't break HF's code of conduct, post whatever you like! I guess that would be IIDBHCOCPWYL.

Old
12-18-2006, 04:12 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Sorry guys, but sometimes posters go over the line with their criticism, and I for one feel the need to call them on it, just like you feel entitled to whine back at me. I'm not defending Gare's ability, though I do think he's growing into the job. I'm saying that threads like this give message boards a bad name. One great example of a BETTER and more intelligent way to discuss game coverage is found in the thread a bunch of us started last summer about how to improve the in-arena entertainment. Lots of opinions, lots of good ideas, and done mostly with good intentions.

Shelf is the gold standard around here. No defense of that needed.

Old
12-18-2006, 07:19 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Sorry guys, but sometimes posters go over the line with their criticism, and I for one feel the need to call them on it, just like you feel entitled to whine back at me. I'm not defending Gare's ability, though I do think he's growing into the job. I'm saying that threads like this give message boards a bad name. One great example of a BETTER and more intelligent way to discuss game coverage is found in the thread a bunch of us started last summer about how to improve the in-arena entertainment. Lots of opinions, lots of good ideas, and done mostly with good intentions.

Shelf is the gold standard around here. No defense of that needed.
Neil...you must admit your a bit one sided on this because you know Rimmer. I dont say they are bad people...just WHORIBLE announcers. But I have said this before.

Ill take this guy talking any day over Rimmer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoSAQIvVG0U

Oh thats right...we already had him once. 1000000 x better than Rimmer.

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 07:31 PM
DentonFreeman

This topic definitely has not been discussed to death. No. Way. We should talk more about this topic of which there has been very little discussion.

DentonFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post

more like kicking a puppy. or, maybe like clubbing a baby seal.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote