HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Freddy Modin

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Rader33

vCash: 500
Freddy Modin

Q: Does anyone else think we could use Freddy Modin for the playoffs?

I'm sure he would love to come back..Columbus isn't doing anything this year.

Old
02-13-2007, 06:51 PM
NickHanson

Send a message via AIM to NickHanson
Don't think we can afford his salary. I would love to see Freddy come back, but 2.2 million is more than we can spend.

Old
02-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
My bet is that he comes back, but it's in the offseason. If Tampa is to make any moves before the deadline (which is probably not going to happen, sadly) there are more important pieces to be added to the team ahead of Modin.

Old
02-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Bolt32

Denis for Freddy (i know it wont happen but i can dream cant i? )

Old
02-13-2007, 07:17 PM
No-Twitch Tabitha

Send a message via MSN to No-Twitch Tabitha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Denis for Freddy (i know it wont happen but i can dream cant i? )
Don't think the CBJ will take him back...

Old
02-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Rader33

All I know is the captian can't handle the playoffs with his hip,And Freddy can more than fill the void.(possition wise,Maybe leadership wise?).I say Denis and young player in the minors would be a good trade to CB for Mo!

Old
02-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

CBJ gas Leclaire and now Norenna. Why would they take Denis back, reagrdless of what he was packaged with? All he is now is a guy who is making 2.8 million dollars to sit behind a guy who's in his first full year.

If Mo wants to come back to Tampa, it can certainly wait until the offseason when we'll be freeing up dead weight, and possibly able to move Denis first. The price for him then will just be whatever his contract is.

Which will somehow be 5 million, knowing Feaster.

Old
02-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Rader33

Good point. But GOD we could use Mo back.

Old
02-14-2007, 12:21 PM
No-Twitch Tabitha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderworks View Post
CBJ gas Leclaire and now Norenna. Why would they take Denis back, reagrdless of what he was packaged with? All he is now is a guy who is making 2.8 million dollars to sit behind a guy who's in his first full year.

If Mo wants to come back to Tampa, it can certainly wait until the offseason when we'll be freeing up dead weight, and possibly able to move Denis first. The price for him then will just be whatever his contract is.

Which will somehow be 5 million, knowing Feaster.
And part of the reason the CBJ moved Denis was because they wanted to make Leclaire the #1 because he was near-/out-playing Denis last season. Now with Norrena, I don't see them wanting Denis back.

It would be nice to get Fred back, but I don't think the CBJ's gonna bite if Marc's part of the deal, no matter how sweet Feaster makes it.

Then again, CBJ's GM is about as bad as ours...

Old
02-14-2007, 12:54 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rader33 View Post
All I know is the captian can't handle the playoffs with his hip,And Freddy can more than fill the void.(possition wise,Maybe leadership wise?).I say Denis and young player in the minors would be a good trade to CB for Mo!
Kidding right? Columbus just signed Norrena to a 2 year contract extension. Marc Denis is done in Columbus and Doug Maclean would never trade Modin to get him back. We can't even use him. The Jackets are going to try their best to get Modin signed for the next few years.

Old
02-14-2007, 04:12 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Good point. But GOD we could use Mo back.
Wait a minute. What? What do we need Modin back for? Last I checked the Lightning were playing pretty good hockey. Since December 19, they are 18-7, that's pretty good. They have won 13 out of their last 16 games. They have gone from dead last in the division and 14th (!!!) in the conference to 2nd and 6th respectively and they are now only 3 points out of the division lead (and at least a 3 seed) with two games in hand! They are 10th in the league in goals per game, have the league leader in goals and have the second and third place guys in total points. All of that sounds pretty good to me so tell me, what do we need Fred Modin and his 25 points, -2, and 40 penalty minutes for exactly? To get Richie going?

Feaster makes no trade before the deadline. Not for Modin or anyone else. And honestly, right now, why should he? We are winning games, scoring alot of goals, have above average goaltending and a pretty solid defense. Who do we need to come in here at this point that has to learn a new system and possibly **** up a team chemistry that is bursting with confidence right now? I'm sorry, I just don't see it. And who says Modin would even want to come back here?

Last edited by OptimismRestrainer: 02-14-2007 at 04:15 PM. Reason: SPELLING!!!!!
Old
02-15-2007, 05:20 PM
phiflyers2003

Just from an outsiders view, i do feel you guys need another forward if you want to win another cup, the team you have now is good but no way can they be compared to the talented team you had during the finals.

Old
02-15-2007, 06:22 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiflyers2003 View Post
Just from an outsiders view, i do feel you guys need another forward if you want to win another cup, the team you have now is good but no way can they be compared to the talented team you had during the finals.

Hey, thanks.

Old
02-16-2007, 02:18 PM
No-Twitch Tabitha

You mean when we had Syd and JG?

Old
02-16-2007, 03:17 PM
shimy1221*

Quote:
Q: Does anyone else think we could use Freddy Modin for the playoffs?

I'm sure he would love to come back..Columbus isn't doing anything this year.
i think tampa has enough scoring this year...but they could sure use a solid defensive D-man IMO....

to tampa:
mattias norstrom

to l.a:
??who??

Old
02-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Rschmitz

huh? Have you seen our PK? Its putrid.

Modin was an "ok" penalty killer while he was here. At this point in the season, he wouldn't even be a very big cap hit.

He would add scoring depth(god knows Richards needs it), a huge slap shot(all-star game flash backs), a veteran presence(had an A for many years), and is one of the best defensive forwards in the game(3rd best +/- SC year). Plus he knows our system. How many birds does one stone need to take out in order to realize he is a great fit and one of the missing pieces of the puzzle?

Feaster is such an idiot for making that Denis trade. Yes, we needed goaltending BAD; but if your going to make a move and trade away someone of Modin's calibre, you better get something back that is going to work out. And hell, we have a 1st year showing up Denis on a nightly basis.

Old
02-21-2007, 05:03 PM
ThunderRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC View Post

Modin was an "ok" penalty killer while he was here. At this point in the season, he wouldn't even be a very big cap hit.

He would add scoring depth(god knows Richards needs it), a huge slap shot(all-star game flash backs), a veteran presence(had an A for many years), and is one of the best defensive forwards in the game(3rd best +/- SC year). Plus he knows our system. How many birds does one stone need to take out in order to realize he is a great fit and one of the missing pieces of the puzzle?

Feaster is such an idiot for making that Denis trade. Yes, we needed goaltending BAD; but if your going to make a move and trade away someone of Modin's calibre, you better get something back that is going to work out. And hell, we have a 1st year showing up Denis on a nightly basis.
Next time remember to lend Feaster your crystal ball.

Old
02-21-2007, 05:14 PM
LastoftheBrunnenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC View Post

OK I'll bite...

What trades were out there? Tampa wasn't the only team interested in Denis. Maybe Columbus didn't want Fedetenko or draft picks or whatever other else Tampa could offer. And please don't forget that Modin's salary played a part as the $650K or so he made more than Feds, for example, made the deal work. In other words, fine, you don't give up Modin and get Columbus to accept Feds and a draft pick. What player do you dump off the roster that makes over $1.1M? (650K difference plus $450K for replacement player) Prospal? So Prospal & Feds (combined for over 45 goals last season) or Modin and his 30? Not so simple, huh? Not trade for a goalie? You said it yourself, the team needed one bad.

Gee, a GM traded for a player and it didn't work out! The SHOCK! If it were so darn easy everyone would be doing it. The best GM in the biz over the last 15 years makes mistakes all the time. Lou Lamoriello signed some old stiffs coming out of the lockout. One signing was so bad (Malokov) that he had to give up a #1 pick to dump him off on San Jose so he could stay under the cap this season. Here is a guy who knows what he's doing and he makes BIG ERRORS sometimes.

And to top it off, you hammer Feaster for Holmqvist playing well! Shucks, how dare Feaster have a back-up plan that worked to some degree!

/rant off

/rant back on

I've written too many defenses of Feaster lately...god knows I disagree with what he does often enough, but what do you people want? The team is in frackin 1st place / 3rd overall and 50% of this board act like we're bottom feeders. I'm not saying things are hunky dory, but the pessimism is beyond my comprehension.

/rant back off

Old
02-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Why should Feaster get credit for the improved play of the team? Just about everyone (self included) pointed the finger at the coaching staff when they were 14th in the East and losing 10 straight. That pat on the back should go directly to the coaching staff and the players themselves.

When Feaster does what he needs to do at the deadline/offseason, then he'll get his kudos.

Old
02-21-2007, 09:46 PM
LastoftheBrunnenG

So he should only get blame, no matter what the state of the team?

Old
02-22-2007, 01:33 AM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Of course not. He built a cup winning team, and he gets credit for that. He made the moves and brought in guys that elevated the team that year, and we won it all.

I am unhappy with the way he's willing to hand out large contracts, and I haven't understood some of his recent moves (though the Wanvig deal was pretty good for Springfield). I won't beat him up for the Denis trade, but I will beat him up for being so quick to give him a multi year deal without seeing how he's going to preform in front of a totally new system.

He will get blame if he fails again to make moves at the deadline. Tampa were called biggest deadline day losers last season by Barry Melrose, and I agree with him 100%. The team wasn't playing well, clearly needed a change, and nothing was done.

The team is playing well, but there is plenty of room for improvement. One or two pieces and we can make a serious run at this thing. The team as it stands will burn out too fast (imo) when it comes down to the playoffs.

If I'm wrong, and we make it deep, then shame on me for doubting, but I get more than just a slight feeling that without some tweaks to the roster, we're looking at another early exit.

Old
02-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
He will get blame if he fails again to make moves at the deadline. Tampa were called biggest deadline day losers last season by Barry Melrose, and I agree with him 100%. The team wasn't playing well, clearly needed a change, and nothing was done.
I hated the fact he didn't make a deal last year, but I don't know what would have prevented a 1st round exit last year. I wouldn't have felt better about a 1st round loss if Feaster had made a deal. The defense still would have been terrible no matter who he brought in and Edmonton severely overpaid for Rolson (who looked great when Edmonton had Pronger, average without Pronger). I'm kind of glad in hind sight he didn't waste an asset for a team destined to be out within the first two weeks of the postseason. But like most I was furious nothing was done at the time.

Last edited by Hockeyfan02: 11-04-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old
02-22-2007, 02:02 AM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Agreed. This is when I wish we could see behind the scenes. I would like Feaster to go for a guy like Brewer, but if the asking price is too high, I would hope he will pass. There aren't a lot of deals out there to be made, but I would at least like to know he made an attempt to add to the club.

Old
02-22-2007, 07:48 PM
LastoftheBrunnenG

Quote:
Agreed. This is when I wish we could see behind the scenes. I would like Feaster to go for a guy like Brewer, but if the asking price is too high, I would hope he will pass. There aren't a lot of deals out there to be made, but I would at least like to know he made an attempt to add to the club.
So this is why I don't understand what your problem is. Do you really think Feaster isn't trying? Or do you think that he's calling St Louis and they want a couple of #1's for Eric Brewer and it makes Feaster sick to his stomach? Maybe it's somewhere in between. We don't know what's going on, although we can tell the prices are higher than they were before the lockout (it seems to me at least). Feaster was right to not waste a single asset on last seasons team...that team just didn't have "it" and was gonna get run in the 1st round no matter what. If someone were to be critical of him for not having stomach, it should have been for not unloading Kubina to a contender (heck, if Toronto would give up $25M as a UFA, they wanted him bad enough to rent him for a #1 probably).

All I know is that if there were 30 awesome / smart / insightful GM's, there still would be only one Stanley Cup winner.

Old
02-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

My problem is that he's like the boy who cried wolf. How many times did we read "If I have to make a move to make this work, I will" only to be followed by a minor league deal that will never, EVER have any impact on the big club.

If you're not actually looking to make a deal, shut your mouth. This is why it's hard to imagine Feaster is doing anything at all. We hear it so much that it just becomes words with no meaning.

Closed Thread