HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Equipment Fit

Old
12-22-2006, 08:47 AM
SuomiOlli

vCash: 500
Equipment Fit

I will be starting a learn to play program next month, I've never played before. I have been trying to figure out the proper sizing of pads, pants, gloves, etc. One thing I'm not sure about is how shin pads should fit. I tried on a pair of 14" shin pads, and the pants overlap the top of the pads by a couple inches. But when I bend my knees, the pads pop out and I have to tuck them back under the pants. I don't believe this should be happening, maybe hockey socks will hold the pads closer to the knee, i'm not sure. Do I have the wrong size pad, too short, too long? I don't think the pants are the problem (i'm 5'6" and medium seems to fit ok).

SuomiOlli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
I cut off those pads on top of the shin guard. They're useless and annoying when they pop out like that.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Niftygrl16

That little pad sticking out of the top drove me nuts.......until I realized it is held on by velcro (I have RBK shin guards) and you can either take it off or just adjust it. I also found it helpful to unzip the inside zippers on my hockey pants to allow for more free movement and it helped with the pants not getting stuck in the top of the pads.

Niftygrl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 06:21 PM
MikeD

hockey socks will keep those in for sure. You can go to most of the major manufacturer's sites for size charts but the bottom line comes down to what you feel comfortable in and meets your protection needs.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote