HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

NO Credit

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-19-2006, 01:10 PM
  #26
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
I live in SW Ontario, so I expect it. I can imagine it being frustrating in other parts of the country, though.
You have to look at it as Ontario programming, I think. It's like how we get Fox29, the Buffalo station, so all the sports talk on that is Buffalo oriented.
It's the same way with ESPN favouring the major markets more than not. They have to cater to their largest viewership. CBC included.

__________________
This content is hosted here with the objections of the poster.
coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 01:23 PM
  #27
go_habs_go
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,207
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
The 2 guys on NHL On The Fly praise the Habs all the time

go_habs_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 01:29 PM
  #28
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 14,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo View Post
What about CBC then?

I'm not talking about sports coverage mainly anyway. I mean it is an issue, but the main thing that annoyed me was when the habs do get coverage they're not getting the full credit they deserve.

As for the power rankings on TSN, they're based a on a formula so it has nothing to do with who cheers for who.

I guess I was just venting when I started this thread.
I know what you mean, and I agree with you. I think CBC just assumes that all Habs fans are in Quebec and will get RDS.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 02:00 PM
  #29
hab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
The original poster mentioned Scott Cullen's TSN Power Rankings being unfair. Scott Cullen is a Habs fan.

Maybe some of you fans should look at RDS, who do they talk about most? Obviously the Canadiens since the station is French and Quebec-based. So it only makes sense if TSN (based in Toronto) talks about Ontario's team, the Leafs. And how about Sportsnet West? Oh boy, here's a weird concept, they love talking about the Canucks, who would have thunk it?
I don't think your analysis makes any sense... just like global (Toronto local station ) shows the leafs, RDS ( Quebec station) shows the habs, and no one has any objections to that. TSN is national station, a little more equality from a national station was the topic of discussion... but thanks for the unwarranted sarcasm

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 02:25 PM
  #30
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
TSN isn't meant to be a national station. They cover national sports, but its programming isn't designed for national consumption, it's intended to cater to their largest subscriber base in Ontario. It's only a national station because it's the closest thing we have to ESPN.

Why does everyone think that a national station is obliged to cater equally across said nation? Be it CBC, TSN or Global, they're going to find out where their viewers are, and cater to them.

Regardless, TSN isn't included in basic cable packages in Canada (or at least not Ontario) so it isn't a true national carrier. You have to order an expanded service to get TSN.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 02:39 PM
  #31
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,851
vCash: 500
Guys, you are missing the point.

Dog bites man = no story
Man bites dog = story

The Habs have done nothing more than reclaim their rightful place near the top of the NHL standings. Those of us over 30 and those in the media don't think it's such a big deal that the Habs are back--more like "it's about damn time."

Besides, the Habs have proven nothing until they bring home another one of these . That's the only real benchmark of success for the Habs.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 03:35 PM
  #32
hab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
TSN isn't meant to be a national station. They cover national sports, but its programming isn't designed for national consumption, it's intended to cater to their largest subscriber base in Ontario. It's only a national station because it's the closest thing we have to ESPN.

Why does everyone think that a national station is obliged to cater equally across said nation? Be it CBC, TSN or Global, they're going to find out where their viewers are, and cater to them.

Regardless, TSN isn't included in basic cable packages in Canada (or at least not Ontario) so it isn't a true national carrier. You have to order an expanded service to get TSN.
No one gets TSN without full cable, Ontario or otherwise. Your argument is the same as the one we had for CBC, even though they are a national network, the cash cow for them is the leafs, so we should all just keep quiet and accept it.

All local networks SHOULD play there local teams, but any network that calls themselves a cross Canada sports station and caters to one team is naturally going to receive some due criticism.

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 03:58 PM
  #33
canadian_man_44
Registered User
 
canadian_man_44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moncton, NB, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Well alot of games we win its because Huet is amazing, we get outshot a fair bit.

I think honnestly we are playing over our head right now, alot of the bounces have gone our way this season, if we continue this way in the new year we will get some credit that is deserved.

I would rather get less credit then more credit that is deserved, its better for our team not to get ahead of ourselfs, who cares what the media is saying we need to concentrate on winning games and making the playoffs.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is impossible to play over your head. The Habs are not playing over their heads, they are just showing what their true potential is.

It's kinda like golf. I can go out one round and shoot 89 and go out the next round and shoot 79. The 79 doesn't mean I'm playing over my head. I can actually play better than that with a little work and practice. The Habs are doing that. They are working hard every shift and playing to their potential. That is what is getting them the wins.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 04:32 PM
  #34
Catch-22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo View Post
Ever since the start of the season I've been noticing it.. and I thought maybe it was just me and I was imagining things. Every morning after a habs win I'd watch highlights on TSN or Sportsnet and see the habs win get put in the background or have the analyst giving the play-by-play make the game seem like the habs didn't deserve the win.

It's been getting out of hand lately though. For example after the highlights were shown for Montreal's win against Pittsburgh Sunday morning on TSN, I was expecting the analyst to say something along the lines of "Montreal, on a 5 game point streak...", instead she spouts in a very negative tone "The Canadiens, outshot 37-7 in the first periods of their last two games...". Many other times I've watched highlights where the analysts and editing team made it look like Montreal got 100 powerplays and it was the only reason they won. Just because they produce on their 5-6 powerplays a game (they got more penalties than PP.. we all know this - many others don't because the highlight shows don't show entire penalty kills, only goals and big saves). That last article by Garrioch I looked at today was the final proof I needed before posting this thread.

The media are not giving the habs the credit they deserve. And in turn, because a lot of hockey fans don't have time to watch and follow all teams, they don't realize how strong our team has been playing so far this season (especially when highlight shows discredit every win we get). Players like Bonk get comments made about them by analysts like Garrioch (who must obviously only watch the highlight shows and nothing else) about their "poor play and production" this season. I'd personally rather have a balanced attack like we have, where on any given night if one line isn't producing we know we can count on another to pick it up, then have one or two players who make the highlight reel every night.

I don't know what it will take for people to take our team seriously, but I don't doubt whatever it is they need to see from us, our team will show them.
IMO, there are two ways to force the English media to take note of the Habs. First, we have to be the only Canadian team left in the playoffs. Second, we have to win the Stanley Cup. Anything less and the Toronto media will be planning next year's parade on Younge Street.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 04:50 PM
  #35
tmc
Registered User
 
tmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Guys, you are missing the point.

Dog bites man = no story
Man bites dog = story

The Habs have done nothing more than reclaim their rightful place near the top of the NHL standings. Those of us over 30 and those in the media don't think it's such a big deal that the Habs are back--more like "it's about damn time."

Besides, the Habs have proven nothing until they bring home another one of these . That's the only real benchmark of success for the Habs.
thats the spirit!

tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 05:05 PM
  #36
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_man_44 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is impossible to play over your head. The Habs are not playing over their heads, they are just showing what their true potential is.

It's kinda like golf. I can go out one round and shoot 89 and go out the next round and shoot 79. The 79 doesn't mean I'm playing over my head. I can actually play better than that with a little work and practice. The Habs are doing that. They are working hard every shift and playing to their potential. That is what is getting them the wins.
That's absolutely true. If you play better than expected, that's evidence that your expectations are too low. Excellent results are only indication that better results can be had.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 06:03 PM
  #37
Evil Ted
Registered User
 
Evil Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_man_44 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is impossible to play over your head. The Habs are not playing over their heads, they are just showing what their true potential is.

It's kinda like golf. I can go out one round and shoot 89 and go out the next round and shoot 79. The 79 doesn't mean I'm playing over my head. I can actually play better than that with a little work and practice. The Habs are doing that. They are working hard every shift and playing to their potential. That is what is getting them the wins.
Montreal is winning games because of lucky bounces and argueably the best goaltender in the NHL, we are playing over our head, our pp is tops in the league but we are not the most offensively tallented team.

Things are just really clicking for us. Hopefully it lasts but half a season of excelent play can be ruined by a bad stretch of games, and we will be fighting it out for the final playoff spots pretty much where most level headed habs fans and media outlets predicted our posistion when the roster was finalized in the fall.

If we continue to be as good as we have been lately for the rest of the season we will get our credit, but this is hardly half a seasons work we have a long way to go.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 06:20 PM
  #38
canadian_man_44
Registered User
 
canadian_man_44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moncton, NB, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Montreal is winning games because of lucky bounces and argueably the best goaltender in the NHL, we are playing over our head, our pp is tops in the league but we are not the most offensively tallented team.

Things are just really clicking for us. Hopefully it lasts but half a season of excelent play can be ruined by a bad stretch of games, and we will be fighting it out for the final playoff spots pretty much where most level headed habs fans and media outlets predicted our posistion when the roster was finalized in the fall.

If we continue to be as good as we have been lately for the rest of the season we will get our credit, but this is hardly half a seasons work we have a long way to go.
You're so full of crap it's not even funny. Montreal is winning games because of hard work and great special teams. Having a great goalie doesn't hurt either. Montreal plays as a team. You say they're not the most offensively talented team. That would be Buffalo, but, like I said before, Montreal plays as a team. Their scoring is spread around. There is not one or two star players that score the majority of the goals. That's not how you want it anyway. Just look at Pittsburgh. They possibly have two of the most offensively talented players in the league yet they sit in 11th place in the conference while Montreal sits in second.

Why do you want to get down on a team that is doing so well. You act like you're not a true fan. All you can seem to point out is things you see as negative. The Habs are as good as their stats show. With 32 games they have 19 wins, 8 losses, 5 overtime losses, 43 points, 101 goals for, 89 goals against, 23.1 power play percentage, 89.0 penalty kill percentage, 11-4-3 home record, 8-4-2 away record and are 6-2-2 in their last 10 games. That's their record. It looks pretty darn good to me and to the rest of the true Habs fans. Stop being so negative and enjoy the success of the team, or go cheer for the Leafs.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 07:31 PM
  #39
Evil Ted
Registered User
 
Evil Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_man_44 View Post
You're so full of crap it's not even funny. Montreal is winning games because of hard work and great special teams. Having a great goalie doesn't hurt either. Montreal plays as a team. You say they're not the most offensively talented team. That would be Buffalo, but, like I said before, Montreal plays as a team. Their scoring is spread around. There is not one or two star players that score the majority of the goals. That's not how you want it anyway. Just look at Pittsburgh. They possibly have two of the most offensively talented players in the league yet they sit in 11th place in the conference while Montreal sits in second.

Why do you want to get down on a team that is doing so well. You act like you're not a true fan. All you can seem to point out is things you see as negative. The Habs are as good as their stats show. With 32 games they have 19 wins, 8 losses, 5 overtime losses, 43 points, 101 goals for, 89 goals against, 23.1 power play percentage, 89.0 penalty kill percentage, 11-4-3 home record, 8-4-2 away record and are 6-2-2 in their last 10 games. That's their record. It looks pretty darn good to me and to the rest of the true Habs fans. Stop being so negative and enjoy the success of the team, or go cheer for the Leafs.

No reason to turn this into a flamewar here, I am a montreal fan expressing my opinions, Im sorry if my "negative" aura makes you cranky. Im not trying to get down on our team, I was just pointing out reasoning behind not getting as much credit as JoseTheo thinks we may deserve.

The season is hardly half over, the eastern standings so tight, there are 11 teams within 10 pts of each other and there is a ton of hockey yet to be played. Another key injury could really hurt us, a few game loosing skid could put us back too.

We have one of the best records in the NHL for the 1st half , lets hope we can continue our impressive performence into the new year.

I am now done with this thread, there is no reason for me to participate in a pssing contest with you about this, I understand your opinion, and now you have a bit if insight into mine, so lets just leave it at that.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 10:45 PM
  #40
canadian_man_44
Registered User
 
canadian_man_44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moncton, NB, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
Evil Ted,
The thing is JoseTheo is right. We are currently the number two team in our conference. That fact alone should be enough for us to get some credit. Anyway, it's not your opinion in particular that cranked me up, although the mostly negative post didn't help my foul mood. Everyday I get on this board a couple times and everytime I see someone moanin' about this is wrong or that player should be traded or they should have left him in the minors. I think we all should be happy as Habs fans that our team is doing so well. You see, although this thread started out about the Habs not getting enough credit from certain national sports stations, IMO the Habs do not get enough credit from a lot of people who proclaim to be fans. I love my team, and if something is wrong with it, I'll darn sure let you know, but, when things are going well I'm gonna stand up and applaud their efforts. Let's all get behind our team.

P.S. Just so you don't think I'm overly optimistic and not able to see the negative things that need changing: PLEASE TRADE JANNE NIINIMAA.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:01 PM
  #41
ShuttFan
Registered User
 
ShuttFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 352
vCash: 500
The book is out on Huet (except for the lucky bounces).
***? Look, TSN web today talked about the Sabres domination over the Habs (3-0-1 record) and failed to mention Habs over them (1-1-2) - it's all about spin, and right now we're on a high. We're now a shootout short of being tied with them as far as these points go.
Don't get caught up in the CBC or TSN spin on who the good Canadian teams are, I listened to the game NESN last week and Boston had an awful lot of respect for our guys.
Just win (and stay healthy).

ShuttFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:34 PM
  #42
Kue
Interviewing for GM
 
Kue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland OR
Country: United States
Posts: 466
vCash: 500
If it makes you all feel any better...

Here in the states, Keith Jones has picked us to win the cup on the Vs. network. He even said if he had to award it today he would give it to us.


Kue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:38 PM
  #43
Buumbaclat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Habs don't get enough credit from tsn and sportsnet...

on the other hand, they get too much credit from rds.

Buumbaclat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:42 PM
  #44
All-Star
Registered User
 
All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Snake Mountain
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Montreal is winning games because of lucky bounces and argueably the best goaltender in the NHL, we are playing over our head, our pp is tops in the league but we are not the most offensively tallented team.

Things are just really clicking for us. Hopefully it lasts but half a season of excelent play can be ruined by a bad stretch of games, and we will be fighting it out for the final playoff spots pretty much where most level headed habs fans and media outlets predicted our posistion when the roster was finalized in the fall.

If we continue to be as good as we have been lately for the rest of the season we will get our credit, but this is hardly half a seasons work we have a long way to go.
You may want to take another look at where the media in general predicted the Habs would finish this season. Hint: The Flyers are there now...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:46 PM
  #45
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
Jealousy if you ask me, then again, do we always give credits to the Leafs?... anyway, i feel we are a good team but we arent dominant yet, but i think in the course of the season it may become the case.
I agree completely. I hope that Gainey pulls an ace out of his sleves at the deadline, because we are close to having a potential contender team.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 12:18 AM
  #46
emb24*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienFan11 View Post
If it makes you all feel any better...

Here in the states, Keith Jones has picked us to win the cup on the Vs. network. He even said if he had to award it today he would give it to us.


jones has some love for the habs - he picked us to upset the canes last spring

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 01:43 AM
  #47
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo View Post
Ever since the start of the season I've been noticing it.. and I thought maybe it was just me and I was imagining things. Every morning after a habs win I'd watch highlights on TSN or Sportsnet and see the habs win get put in the background or have the analyst giving the play-by-play make the game seem like the habs didn't deserve the win.

It's been getting out of hand lately though. For example after the highlights were shown for Montreal's win against Pittsburgh Sunday morning on TSN, I was expecting the analyst to say something along the lines of "Montreal, on a 5 game point streak...", instead she spouts in a very negative tone "The Canadiens, outshot 37-7 in the first periods of their last two games...". Many other times I've watched highlights where the analysts and editing team made it look like Montreal got 100 powerplays and it was the only reason they won. Just because they produce on their 5-6 powerplays a game (they got more penalties than PP.. we all know this - many others don't because the highlight shows don't show entire penalty kills, only goals and big saves). That last article by Garrioch I looked at today was the final proof I needed before posting this thread.

The media are not giving the habs the credit they deserve. And in turn, because a lot of hockey fans don't have time to watch and follow all teams, they don't realize how strong our team has been playing so far this season (especially when highlight shows discredit every win we get). Players like Bonk get comments made about them by analysts like Garrioch (who must obviously only watch the highlight shows and nothing else) about their "poor play and production" this season. I'd personally rather have a balanced attack like we have, where on any given night if one line isn't producing we know we can count on another to pick it up, then have one or two players who make the highlight reel every night.

I don't know what it will take for people to take our team seriously, but I don't doubt whatever it is they need to see from us, our team will show them.
Its like Tricolore (the moderator) said.... the coverage of the habs on the major sports networks in this country has eroded to the point where the habs are treated as if they are from a different country.

For whatever reason, the habs are getting less and less coverage as the years go by. Does it bother me? Yes, it does bug me a little bit.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 02:18 AM
  #48
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
The Score did a pretty good props segment for les Canadien tonight on The Spin. Pierre Lebrun was pretty emphatic about them, and eluded to the possibility that Buffalo might get a run for tops in the conference.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 02:24 AM
  #49
LesHabsRock
Registered User
 
LesHabsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
The Score did a pretty good props segment for les Canadien tonight on The Spin. Pierre Lebrun was pretty emphatic about them, and eluded to the possibility that Buffalo might get a run for tops in the conference.
I watched that too. I actually enjoy that show and Pierre Lebrun. One thing that I don't agree with is that Lebrun said Montreal is definitely for real, but doesn't belive they'de be as good in the standings if they were in the West. That kinda rubbed me the wrong way. The Habs are 4-1 vs West opponents. If youre still suffering from ensomnia maybe you can calculate East vs West games and who's winning the battles.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 02:49 AM
  #50
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
I watched that too. I actually enjoy that show and Pierre Lebrun. One thing that I don't agree with is that Lebrun said Montreal is definitely for real, but doesn't belive they'de be as good in the standings if they were in the West. That kinda rubbed me the wrong way. The Habs are 4-1 vs West opponents. If youre still suffering from ensomnia maybe you can calculate East vs West games and who's winning the battles.
Yeah but look at the West opponents. The Northwest division is pretty mediocre (the 4 wins), and we lost to Chicago.
I'm not saying we wouldn't be better, we'd certainly be leading the northwest, 2nd at worst in the central, and likely 3rd in the pacific. That makes 3-4th in the West, not 2nd. I think that's what he meant to say.

By the way, the West is 40-22-7 vs the East, not including today.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.