HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rory now no.2 in the West

Old
12-19-2006, 10:49 AM
HomaridII

vCash: 500
Rory now no.2 in the West

Unbelievable but they have done it!

http://www.voteforrory.com/images/roryvotes745.jpg

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:24 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post

12-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post

Amazing, I think I'm tuning in to the All-star game this year.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:27 AM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

this is just sad.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:32 AM
deandebean

Rory should just drop himself from the ballot and ask fans to stop doing this. At first, it was funny, but now, it's turning a fan vote into a joke.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:37 AM
JFB

And people whine when they can't vote

Get a life.

JFB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:38 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Rory should just drop himself from the ballot and ask fans to stop doing this. At first, it was funny, but now, it's turning a fan vote into a joke.
Fan voting for the all star game was a joke long before Vote for Rory.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:38 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
And people whine when they can't vote

Get a life.
It's a joke. You're voting for a fringe NHL defenceman to make it to the game. It's a joke to those who get the honor. Unless, for you, an all-star game is nothing.

What has the NHL gone to when fans don't even consider an all-star game nomination important?

Old
12-19-2006, 11:39 AM
ngc_5128

It's just the starting lineup, what's the big deal? The coaches pick the rest of the squad anyway.

The players who turn down the All-Star game are the jokes, if you ask me.

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Jeremy2020

I think this is fans calling for the all-star game to actually start meaning something.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:41 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngc_5128 View Post
It's just the starting lineup, what's the big deal? The coaches pick the rest of the squad anyway.

The players who turn down the All-Star game are the jokes, if you ask me.
The big deal is this: the all-star game is there to honor the best players of the league. Although some probably consider it benign, it exists so the fans can applaud the best players of the league. It's something that should be considered an honor. Not a joke.

Old
12-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Souray44

Quote:
There shouldn't be a fan vote. Hopefully this lets the NHL in on that.

They should also do something like in the MLB where the winning side gets home ice advantage in the stanley cup finals. The skills competition is fun but the all-star game sucks, I don't even watch it. Hockey is boring when nobody is trying to win.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
It should be fixed. Only having the possibility to vote for Rory Fitzpatrick is a joke...

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Some of you guys take this too seriously. In recent years, the all-star game has been viewed as unnecessary and a waste of time, by media members, managers and players. In recent years in particular, we've seen several big name players drop out of the all-star game, citing a minor injury (when in reality, they probably want to go golf in Florida or Arizona). We've also seen managers who have tried to keep their players out of the game. Guys like Lidstrom, Zubov, Niedermayer and Phaneuf will probably be there regardless of whether the fans in Rory or not.

Keep in mind that voting for Rory Fitzpatrick only enables him to get into the starting lineup, which keeps ONLY 1 player out of the all-star game. Given that the game is midweek, perhaps that one player would prefer having the week off, taking his family to Cuba or Mexico, than having to play in a meaningless game.

And everybody acts like it is only Rory who is getting in unfairly. I suggest you look at the other top vote getters, and tell me that its only Rory. Guys like Cheechoo or Hannan don't deserve to be in the all-star game whatsoever (based on this year's play), but they are being considered. Nobody seems to raise a cry about them.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:48 AM
ngc_5128

Quote:
The big deal is this: the all-star game is there to honor the best players of the league. Although some probably consider it benign, it exists so the fans can applaud the best players of the league. It's something that should be considered an honor. Not a joke.
The all star game is there to make money. The only people being honoured is the marketing department. The all star weekend is there to sell the game to the casual fan.

If it is such an honour, why do players take a pass on the game when they are selected by the fans, or coaches to play?

Old
12-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Oh, BTW. On Versus last night, they showed that Brian Campbell and Sheldon Souray were the top 2 vote getters amongst Eastern Conference defensemen. Is there any outrage over that?

Old
12-19-2006, 11:50 AM
phil666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
Amazing, I think I'm tuning in to the All-star game this year.
+1

phil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
The All-star game was a joke to begin with, they enabled fans to vote and the fans responded. If Rory gets those votes, then he has to be there barring a decline. How many fans honestly look forward to the most boring game of the year?

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:53 AM
CanadienDude
Katie B.

You people need to lightin' up. The all-star game has been a "joke" for years and and a lot of the posters i've seen here say they don't care about the all-star game anyway. Now that fans have done something upon themselves to try and make it more interesting, these posters who didn't care about the all-star game in the first place(not everyone) are now saying its a travesty.
All the other stars will be there anyway, it's not like there hasn't been any regular players in the all-star game before.

EDIT: Tricolore#20 beat me too it -_-

CanadienDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
The All-star game was a joke to begin with, they enabled fans to vote and the fans responded. If Rory gets those votes, then he has to be there barring a decline. How many fans honestly look forward to the most boring game of the year?
Exactly. The reason for fan voting is so that fans get to see who they want to see. If Rory gets in, he will have had enough support from the FANS. That means that people truly want to see him.

Also, prior all-star games had terrible players in them as well, selected by the LEAGUE. I'm sure everybody remembers when Petr Buzek and Brad Marsh were named all-stars in their respective years.

Old
12-19-2006, 11:56 AM
ngc_5128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Exactly. The reason for fan voting is so that fans get to see who they want to see. If Rory gets in, he will have had enough support from the FANS. That means that people truly want to see him.

Also, prior all-star games had terrible players in them as well, selected by the LEAGUE. I'm sure everybody remembers when Petr Buzek and Brad Marsh were named all-stars in their respective years.
ah, the good ol' "Every team needs a representative" years

Old
12-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Some of you guys take this too seriously. In recent years, the all-star game has been viewed as unnecessary and a waste of time, by media members, managers and players. In recent years in particular, we've seen several big name players drop out of the all-star game, citing a minor injury (when in reality, they probably want to go golf in Florida or Arizona). We've also seen managers who have tried to keep their players out of the game.

Keep in mind that voting for Rory Fitzpatrick only enables him to get into the starting lineup, which keeps ONLY 1 player out of the all-star game. Given that the game is midweek, perhaps that one player would prefer having the week off, taking his family to Cuba or Mexico, than having to play in a meaningless game.

And everybody acts like it is only Rory who is getting in unfairly. I suggest you look at the other top vote getters, and tell me that its only Rory. Guys like Cheechoo or Hannan don't deserve to be in the all-star game whatsoever (based on this year's play), but they are being considered. Nobody seems to raise a cry about them.
Well for me it's a mix of recognition and who would do a good show in that type of events. So I don't mind seeing Cheechoo up there but what Fitzpatrick, on top of being a filler, can bring to a All-Star challenge is unexistant.

But again, and I agree to a certain point, it just shows that to have the possibility of voting for every player shouldn't exist, some type of more reasonable list based on stats should be used.....

For a long time now I wished there was no game at all and just a full 2 or 3 hours of skills competition, would be funnier and more interesting. Have some ex-pros join the fun, let's see if Bourque can still be 4 on 4 on those targets, where's Iafrate, how's his slappers nowadays, let's have Patrick Roy facing Crosby and all....There's tons of different things you could do in 2 or 3 hours and way cooler than having a stupid meaningless game....This of course, if the "oldies" would like to participate, not too sure there ego would like to...

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Ghost of Saku

Next year we all vote for the Bonkmeister!

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngc_5128 View Post
The all star game is there to make money. The only people being honoured is the marketing department. The all star weekend is there to sell the game to the casual fan.

If it is such an honour, why do players take a pass on the game when they are selected by the fans, or coaches to play?
In that respect, getting Rory in the game will actually be a victory for the marketing departments. Imagine the amount of publicity this will generate in American media! It will probably make first page on many national media and give the game exposure it wouldn't have otherwise. People would just tune in to see this underdog and witness this unusual story. Kind of like the publicity generated by Eddie The Eagle during the winter Olympics of the '90s. Everyone knew he sucked but still people were rooting for him.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Orange

As much of a joke you guys might think this is, Rory Fitzpatrick in the all star game is probably the only thing that could make me tune in and watch. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Orange is offline   Reply With Quote