HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Columbus @ Detroit 12/20/06 | FSN Ohio | TSN | 7:30 p.m.

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2006, 11:24 AM
DougKnowsBest

vCash: 500
Did you know?

Did you know the states of michigan and Ohio have been fighting with each other for a long time, and it has nothing to do with football?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...l%3Den%26lr%3D

"Ah, Michigan. What is it about Michigan that prompts Ohioans to wear T-shirts that proudly state, "Muck Fichigan"? Is it just that Ohioans enjoy a clever play on words or is it because of the rivalry between the two states' college football teams?

Let it be known that every year during the final game of the Big Ten, between Michigan and Ohio, tensions run high. Ohio State's coach, the unsinkable Woody Hayes, claimed that he hated Michigan so much that he refused to even spend a dime there. And so when Hayes' car ran out of gas just miles from the Ohio border, he pushed the car across state lines so that a Michigan gas station wouldn't profit from him.

But the rivalry didn't begin as a result of college football. No, it began in the nineteenth century when Michigan claimed a piece of land measuring five miles along the Indiana border and eight miles along Lake Erie as its own. The land, dubbed the Toledo Strip, had been surveyed by Ohio at the beginning of its statehood and thusly claimed by Ohio. And yet, in 1835 maps of Michigan Territory began to include a little town named Toledo, Michigan.

Ohioans were perturbed and a militia unit was sent post haste to the Toledo Strip. The Michigan militia followed suit, but no shots were fired. In 1836 Michigan gave up their control of the Toledo Strip to Ohio. Now, its been rumored that Michigan gave up the land solely because a presidential election was coming up and Michigan wanted to be made a state so that its residents could vote. By giving up the Toledo Strip, they'd then gain this right. Regardless, both states' militias stuck around the Toledo Strip until 1837 when Michigan finally realized that it was a hopeless fight and gave up the land for good. "

Old
12-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Matt

I am so afraid that the wings will have the jackets heads on a platter

Old
12-20-2006, 11:32 AM
jacketracket*

The sun's shone on this dog's butt long enough ... 3-2, good guys.

Old
12-20-2006, 11:36 AM
The Dancin' Beaver

Send a message via Yahoo to The Dancin' Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
I hope Center Ice picks up the TSN feed, hands down the best hockey on TV.
You can say that again!

Old
12-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I'm thinking, even though we beat Detroit two nights ago the feeling in our room is more like we got beat....because of our poor performance in the 2nd and 3rd period......that is what the Jackets will be playing for......those two periods that they abandoned Hitchcocks system and came close to blowing the game.

Jackets win 5-3

Old
12-20-2006, 11:41 AM
The Dancin' Beaver

Send a message via Yahoo to The Dancin' Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I am so afraid that the wings will have the jackets heads on a platter
You're just well trained.

The times, they are a changin'.

Old
12-20-2006, 11:44 AM
tgerace23

Its going to be a battle tonight for sure. Realistically, we need to survive in the first, even it up in the second, and dominate in the third. You cant just walk into their house and except to walk away with a huge lead although the mind set doesnt hurt.

I think the jackets pull it through 3-2, but nail bitter fashion come from behind victory.

Oh and if the whole rivalary thing is over Toledo, they can have it without a second thought.

Old
12-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Handyy

I'm excited to see this one. I think both teams now have great respect for each other and their skills, so we should see a fast-paced game. And very tight one, can't really see Jackets or Wings to win with a big decifit, we might even have to use shootout for this one! Still, my vCash goes to Jackets.

Oh, I also expect a HUGE GDT thread

Old
12-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post

"Ah, Michigan. What is it about Michigan that prompts Ohioans to wear T-shirts that proudly state, "Muck Fichigan"? Is it just that Ohioans enjoy a clever play on words or is it because of the rivalry between the two states' college football teams?

Let it be known that every year during the final game of the Big Ten, between Michigan and Ohio, tensions run high. Ohio State's coach, the unsinkable Woody Hayes, claimed that he hated Michigan so much that he refused to even spend a dime there. And so when Hayes' car ran out of gas just miles from the Ohio border, he pushed the car across state lines so that a Michigan gas station wouldn't profit from him.

But the rivalry didn't begin as a result of college football. No, it began in the nineteenth century when Michigan claimed a piece of land measuring five miles along the Indiana border and eight miles along Lake Erie as its own. The land, dubbed the Toledo Strip, had been surveyed by Ohio at the beginning of its statehood and thusly claimed by Ohio. And yet, in 1835 maps of Michigan Territory began to include a little town named Toledo, Michigan.

Ohioans were perturbed and a militia unit was sent post haste to the Toledo Strip. The Michigan militia followed suit, but no shots were fired. In 1836 Michigan gave up their control of the Toledo Strip to Ohio. Now, its been rumored that Michigan gave up the land solely because a presidential election was coming up and Michigan wanted to be made a state so that its residents could vote. By giving up the Toledo Strip, they'd then gain this right. Regardless, both states' militias stuck around the Toledo Strip until 1837 when Michigan finally realized that it was a hopeless fight and gave up the land for good. "
That is interesting......one more thing folks should know, including our Canadian friends. Ohio and Michigan are sort of like brothers..... we were born together in 1813 when Admiral Perry defeated the British fleet in the Battle of Lake Erie. Had Perry lost that battle we would have lost all control of the lake shipping lanes and both Michigan and Ohio would be part of Canada today.......

Old
12-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
That is interesting......one more thing folks should know, including our Canadian friends. Ohio and Michigan are sort of like brothers..... we were born together in 1813 when Admiral Perry defeated the British fleet in the Battle of Lake Erie. Had Perry lost that battle we would have lost all control of the lake shipping lanes and both Michigan and Ohio would be part of Canada today.......
EH?

Old
12-20-2006, 12:04 PM
disgruntledPSLholder

i'd be ecstatic if we got a point out of this, but I don't think we'll be able to. prove me wrong jackets!!

Old
12-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
5-3 Wings. Norrena has a bad first period, but we try and mount a comeback that comes up short.

I hope I'm wrong.

Old
12-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Scrappy

I'm worried. I don't want to be. But I am.

Old
12-20-2006, 12:41 PM
X0ssbar

I hate to say this but I think the Wings take it to us tonight...

For us to even remotely stay in it No' has to stand on his head...we need to convert on the PP, we need to hit and disrupt their puck possseion, limit their defense jumping into the play, survive the 10 min onslaught in the first, score first and play sound positional hockey from all six players on the ice... That is a pretty tall order but these aren't your same old Jackets.

Truth be told I'll be pretty damn happy if we take a point out of this one...

Old
12-20-2006, 12:45 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Well, another one on national TV (although only in Canada on TSN), so let's have another good one. As I posted in the other thread, a win tonight would vault us past LA in the standings and to within 7 points of the 8th playoff spot. Detroit is obviously going to be fighting mad and we're walking into a hornet's nest - but we've won on the road at Colorado and Dallas, so we're capable of winning in Detroit. Would be nice to have the captain back for this one.

We have to take LIMITED penalties and take advantage of any breaks we get. This will be a very, very difficult game and we would officially become contenders if we win. I will be cheering loudly and toasting frequently.

Jackets, 4-3 in OT.
I'll be watching the game up here. Im excited to see how much this team has grown since the Canucks game.(last time Iv seen them play). Nash with a couple and Brule finaly scores again in a 5-3 blue jacket win.

Old
12-20-2006, 12:51 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Tough task tonight for sure, but this CBJ squad has been defying a lot of expectations since the Hitcher came to town.

My one hold-up from expecting a Jackets win is that the last three games have been pretty incomplete. Moments of brilliance mixed with headless-chicken hysteria. Detroitís seen that act once. Not sure if they get caught again.

I donít know if it was the CBJ dialing it down or the Wings turning it up, but I canít recall the Jackets having a single sustained possession in Detroitís end in the 3rd period Monday. That concerns me.

Hoping for a two-point night. Would feel good about picking up one.

Old
12-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Nordique

Lets play hard and compete, a point or two would be bonus.

Old
12-20-2006, 01:43 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
3-2 OT loss

We play a great game, pick up a point, and gain some more confidence.

Watching the game the other night, Detroit is still the better team. However, we are growing and learning. Alot more learning to do. We will continue to get better and close the gap even more as the year goes on.

Good times, it's nice to watch a team improving instead of feeling like you've watched one that has peaked.

I agree with Senor blahblah on all of this. I'll be very happy getting a point out of tonight. Then, take both points from the Wings next week in Cbus (with the wife and me in attendance)!

Old
12-20-2006, 01:52 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
[IMG] Now, its been rumored that Michigan gave up the land solely because a presidential election was coming up and Michigan wanted to be made a state so that its residents could vote. By giving up the Toledo Strip, they'd then gain this right. Regardless, both states' militias stuck around the Toledo Strip until 1837 when Michigan finally realized that it was a hopeless fight and gave up the land for good. "

It has also been suggested that Michigan gave up because they finally got a good look at Toodlydoo! I like your explanation better, though.

Old
12-20-2006, 02:05 PM
213 Sentinel

And there I was thinking the Ohio-Michigan thing of today couldn't be sillier. Wrong again.

Old
12-20-2006, 02:13 PM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgerace23 View Post

Oh and if the whole rivalary thing is over Toledo, they can have it without a second thought.

(Columbus transplant, originally from outside of Detroit, grew up in Toledo)

it's a crappy place, but I represent it!

Old
12-20-2006, 02:23 PM
darrmd

Jackets 5-4 OT. I never call out predictions, but I drove my butt up to detroit to watch this game so I better get a win.

GO Jackets

Old
12-20-2006, 02:31 PM
jagpanzer

Mick Magoo one of the refs tonight. That should be interesting given some of the officiating late last week. That guy makes a washout seem like the most critical call he's made in his life. Should be fun!

Old
12-20-2006, 02:52 PM
HockeyMan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probert's Coke Habit View Post

(Columbus transplant, originally from outside of Detroit, grew up in Toledo)

it's a crappy place, but I represent it!
Which place are you talking about?

Old
12-20-2006, 02:55 PM
EspoWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV CBJ Fan View Post
Let's try this again.

Red Wings 3 - Jackets 1.

Nash scores but it's not enough and Freddy takes another one for the team.

So far the Jackets are 6-0-1 when I post this prediction.

The key tonight is to put the Wings off of their game. Aggressive forecheck, physical play, and getting sticks in the passing/shooting lanes. Keep them off-balance and make them think. Let's show Detroit that the Central is no longer a two team division!
in this time of holiness, praise the power of the dancing beaver

Closed Thread