HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike York traded to Flyers for Robitaille and a 5th

Old
12-20-2006, 11:24 AM
tytech

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech View Post
wasn't there a trade freeze on from the 19th to the 27th?

This trade was finalized yesterday before the midnight deadline but wasn't announced until today.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Jester9881

Guess I won't be needing this anymore, all yours fellas.....

Jester9881 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 11:52 AM
mikedifr

What in the world is Holmgren doing

Does Garth Snow have incriminating pictures of him from his Flyers days or something?

Not only have we just picked up $6 million in salary, but we have also given them two draft picks. A division rival no less. Shouldnt the team clearing the cap space be giving up the draft picks?????? We are going in the opposite direction.

As much as I hated the Meyer trade, this one baffles me even more.

Robitaille has been arguably our best and most consistent player all year. He plays any position on any line, is great at faceoffs and looked good playing between Gagne and Knuble.

Robitaille - $600k - 31 years old, 27 gms 5 goals and 12 assists. - 5 on a terrible team
York - $2.8 million - 28 years old, 32 gms 6 goals and 7 assists -7 on a much better team

Both are primarily playmakers

I dont like this trade on the surface cause it just brings up the question, Why bother?

If this means Forsberg is out longterm, I absolutely DESPISE this trade.

The only way I like this trade is if York is being brought in to play LW with Carter . York had his best years as a LW in NY with Lindros. I kept saying York would be a good player to sign in the offseason to play in that spot, although I would have liked to have seen Robitaille given a chance there.

The more and more this season goes by, the less faith I have that this organization has any clue what so ever.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Amateur Hour

Hopefully, like with Zhitnik, there will be a demand for York come trade deadline, at which point we can get a better return for him from a more desperate team. Otherwise, this is a whatever trade... UFA for UFA. I would be pissed if we were a team in contention, but we're not, so I see this is as a trade that will parlay a future move. If nothing else, the Flyers get York's contract ($2.85 mil) cleared off the books at the end of the season and can go from there.

I liked Robitaille a lot and was hoping we'd bring him back for next season... oh, well. At least now I can put back up my Downie #27 avatar! haha

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 12:03 PM
rockit

Calder straight up for York would have made a hell of a lot more sense. I really don't understand this move at all.

rockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 12:12 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1505
The Flyers are starting to look like one of those rock bands that changes personnel again and again, tours, but keeps the band's name and then you're left with a couple of recognizable faces. More evidence that this off-season is one of the biggest in the franchise's history -- and maybe THE most important.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Steve L*

Theyre like Guns N Roses. One **** running the thing and a bunch of other people playing that you don't even recognise.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 12:42 PM
Wachovia Center

Send a message via ICQ to Wachovia Center Send a message via Yahoo to Wachovia Center
At least York is a right-handed shot...

Wachovia Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Isles Never Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love View Post
I don't understand this. Why didn't they just make it a four player deal when they swapped Meyer for Zhitnik?
Don't know. Could be something silly and bureaucratic or it could be so that we'd still have York for the Ranger game. York must have been traded right after that game.

Isles Never Quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Flyers_01

Why are we still trying to save this season because we sure aren't trading for the future?

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 01:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
well im going to reserve judgement on both these deals until after the trade deadline. Especially this one. If York is on this team past the deadline I wil seriously question it, so what if both players are free agents after the deal, the only thing to hope for out of this is gaining a draft pick and a prospect for York at the deadline possibilly. Other then that its a DILLIGAF deal.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Dave D

I guess I am the only one who likes this deal for the Flyers. I think Robitaille is one of the softest players I've ever seen. He plays with eggs in his pockets, and on a team like ours we need everyone to compete. Robitaille thinks he is a skilled player who doesn't need to compete. York is better at just about everything than Robitaille and he is much more competitive. I think both short term ( to the deadline) and long-term (through to the end of the year) York is going to help us a lot more. I don't mind the money difference because I think York does have a better upside to earn that kind of money. There is lots of opportunity right now for York to jump in and play in all situations, I would like to think he will take advantage of it and make us a better team.

Besides, he is a more marketable asset later on as well, I would have waived Robitaille long time ago, so to get York in my mind is a huge bonus.

I know I'm in the minority, but I like this a lot.

Dave D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 01:31 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
well, i liked the zhitnik trade...

this one, i hate.
although york and his contract are worthless at the moment he should fetch a 2nd or 3rd rounder come trade deadline time. Can't see how Philly fans would hate that.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Synthetic

Send a message via AIM to Synthetic Send a message via MSN to Synthetic
He is a right-handed shot

Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
although york and his contract are worthless at the moment he should fetch a 2nd or 3rd rounder come trade deadline time. Can't see how Philly fans would hate that.
I'd love that if that is what they are thinking and are able to get that for him but that would require a certain mindset from the Flyers brass not to mention production from York as a Flyer. There's every possibility that York will go into a Calder like funk, he's been billed as an underachiever his whole career as it is. I just hope that the Flyers are mathematically eliminated before the trade deadline because if we have to go on a 20 game winning streak to make the 8th seed of the playoffs at the deadline ed snider will be a buyer instead of a seller.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 01:56 PM
GRETZKY_99

What do the lines look like, now ?

GRETZKY_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 01:56 PM
trench23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchieIsGod View Post
i agree this season is done for us so why not take a chance on a player with a bigger contract but more upside in hopes of getting more for him at the deadline? either way he will be gone after the season.
I think this is the answer right here-- If York turns it around, picks up a few extra goals, he can be a valuable commodity. Trade him for something more then a 5th, and you guys can win the deal. He is a very good defensive foward-- add some offense, and you guys have a great chip when everyone overpays at the deadline.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
www.bleeckerandsullivan.com

trench23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Nacho
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers_01 View Post
Why are we still trying to save this season because we sure aren't trading for the future?
The future sucks, Carter and Richards, and the rest of the kids proves that...

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesthar View Post
He is a right-handed shot
That's what I like about it.

I don't understand why we're dishing out picks and cheap players to take salary dumps from the Islanders though.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Cap ramifications:

Mike York brings a cap hit of +1.67 million, Randy Robitaille -350k.
= 1.3 million more in cap hit.

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
We gave up 5th round pick in 2008 too in this deal.
Damn that Holmgren!!! A whole fifth round pick?! What the hell was he thinking.

103 D Mikhail Chernov
158 D Jordon Flodell
164 L Todd Fedoruk
214 D Marko Kauppinen
240 D Par Styf

124 L Francis Belanger
139 C Garrett Prosofsky
168 G Antero Niittymaki
175 G Cam Ondrik
195 R Tomas Divisek
222 R Lubomir Pistek
243 C Petr Hubacek
253 D Bruno St. Jacques
258 D Sergei Skrobot

160 F Konstantin Rudenko
200 F Pavel Kasparik
208 L Vaclav Pletka
224 L David Nystrom

171 G Roman Cechmanek
195 F Colin Shields
210 F John Eichelberger
227 L Guillaume Lefebvre
259 D Regan Kelly
287 F Milan Kopecky

146 Jussi Timonen
150 G Bernd Bruckler
158 G Roman Malek
172 D Dennis Seidenberg
177 C Andrei Razin
208 D Thierry Douville
225 D David Printz

161 G Dov Grumet-Morris
192 D Nikita Korovkin
193 L Joey Mormina
201 L Mathieu Brunelle

140 G David Tremblay
191 G Rejean Beauchemin
193 Ville Hostikka

144 D Chris Zarb
149 R Gino Pisellini
170 C Ladislav Scurko
171 C Frederik Cabana
232 G Martin Houle
253 D Travis Gawryletz
286 L Triston Grant
291 C John Carter

152 C Josh Beaulieu
174 D John Flatters
215 R Matt Clackson

145 R Jon Rheault
175 G Michael Dupont
205 R Andrei Popov

Out of ALL that, there are three players who are NHL regulars. And on certain teams, they wouldn't even be that. A fifth round pick is dick. It's nothing.

I kind of like this move, and hope York is kept around for a bit. He'll be able to be re-signed for cheap, add some veteran presence to the third line, and free up money to be spent elsewhere. However, I'll admit that I wish it was Calder who was traded instead of Robitaille.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 02:31 PM
NJFlyer42

Quote:
i mean you can't really say this is a BAD move, even though robitaille is a decent player, he's still an impending UFA, and the move is still just crap for crap. Can't really hurt us but the thought of paying calder and york 6 million dollars for no production pisses me off.

Not to mention, this team now has ZERO (literally) playmakers. ouch.
Exactly. Pointless trade.

NJFlyer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 02:34 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
well, i liked the zhitnik trade...

this one, i hate.
Ya I do think you guys definitly made out with Zhit. I was sad to see him go as I felt he contributes alot, even with an occasional off night. Not sure about this York trade tho, unless if he's going to be part of a bigger trade near Feb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love View Post
I don't understand this. Why didn't they just make it a four player deal when they swapped Meyer for Zhitnik?
good question...

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 02:35 PM
sansan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave D View Post
I guess I am the only one who likes this deal for the Flyers. I think Robitaille is one of the softest players I've ever seen. He plays with eggs in his pockets, and on a team like ours we need everyone to compete. Robitaille thinks he is a skilled player who doesn't need to compete. York is better at just about everything than Robitaille and he is much more competitive. I think both short term ( to the deadline) and long-term (through to the end of the year) York is going to help us a lot more. I don't mind the money difference because I think York does have a better upside to earn that kind of money. There is lots of opportunity right now for York to jump in and play in all situations, I would like to think he will take advantage of it and make us a better team.

Besides, he is a more marketable asset later on as well, I would have waived Robitaille long time ago, so to get York in my mind is a huge bonus.

I know I'm in the minority, but I like this a lot.
Count me in as someone who agrees with you. York can fill in for Forsberg better than Robitaille can and is a harder working player IMO.

sansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Mr Islander

A scouting report on Mike York from an Isles fan

Not a fast skater at all, despite written perceptions about him. Also lacks first step quickness and acceleration.

His greatest asset is his one-timer low in the slot in front of the net. Gets it off very quickly. If he's paired with a good playmaker on your team, he could score a few more goals than he did with the Isles.

Could probably be a better player if paired with speedy, skilled forwards. This might enhance his playmaking ability.

Is better suited to the wing because he is not good on key faceoffs. Average defensively.

Not a very intense individual personality-wise - rather, is laid back. This is probably his biggest vice, as he will not step up if needed. Plays a rather soft game.

Not very good as a penalty killer, as he doesn't get to the puck fast enough, or clear it out of the defensive zone well. Mediocre on the powerplay.

Mr Islander is offline   Reply With Quote