HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Mike York traded to Flyers for Robitaille and a 5th

Old
12-20-2006, 02:00 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers_01 View Post
Why are we still trying to save this season because we sure aren't trading for the future?
I dont know what the hell they are doing. If, as some are saying, they are going to unload these guys at the deadline then so be it but they are making 0 sense at the moment.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 02:16 PM
wheeler1*

Your G.M is making Barnett look alot smarter, in the battle of awful G.M's.

wheeler1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muellerfan View Post
Your G.M is making Barnett look alot smarter, in the battle of awful G.M's.
How's that? The Zhitnik deal improves the Flyers now and for the coming two years. York is a low-risk, medium-reward gamble.

We've lost a bottom-pairing d-man, Randy Robitaillle, a 3rd or a 2nd and a 5th round pick.

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 02:59 PM
budclay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatanWorshiper View Post
The only thing I can think of that the Philly GM is thinking is that when the trade deadline comes and Philly happens to be in the playoff race they may keep these guys for a playoff push and then re-evaluate at the end of the year. If they are not, like you said, they can start the fire sale and stockpile a ton of picks and re-tool for the future.
I think putting this years Flyers and playoff race in the same sentence is as remote, if not more remote, than saying Wade Belak may win the Norris Trophy...

budclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 03:52 PM
flyersfan97

Man, we have even managed to $uck on days we don't play games.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 03:53 PM
PlayoffBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by budclay View Post
I think putting this years Flyers and playoff race in the same sentence is as remote, if not more remote, than saying Wade Belak may win the Norris Trophy...
hahah, I was trying to be optimistic for the Flyer fans. I think the latter of my statement is what is going to happen.

I just hope the Isles do something smart w/ the cap space.

PlayoffBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 03:59 PM
volpster31

i dont understand people hating this deal....
mike york is flat out a better player than robattaile...roby is having a good year & york is having a below par year...if you look at them strictly as a player, any gm would take york.and the 5th rounder is a garbage pick...york will get us a nice pick come the deadline(roby wouldnt get us anything better than a 5th rounder)

volpster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 04:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Robitalle was getting minutes on a bad team.

York should be a 2nd line player. First of all, he's younger, which that is fine. But it's not fine if they got him to try and make the playoffs this year. If the plan is to keep York here past this season, then I'm ok with it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion of the North View Post
How's that? The Zhitnik deal improves the Flyers now and for the coming two years. York is a low-risk, medium-reward gamble.

We've lost a bottom-pairing d-man, Randy Robitaillle, a 3rd or a 2nd and a 5th round pick.
I'm going to disagree on the Zhitnik trade until proven otherwise. Freddy was -4 after the worst 25 game stretch in Flyers history, let's see how Zhitnik does (-2, 2 sog after 2 games).

I will also agree with other posters that we won't be able to get a decent UFA dman (4 mill+) without unloading one of our top 3 salaried DMen which really sucks.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth View Post
Damn that Holmgren!!! A whole fifth round pick?! What the hell was he thinking.

Out of ALL that, there are three players who are NHL regulars. And on certain teams, they wouldn't even be that. A fifth round pick is dick. It's nothing.
164 L Todd Fedoruk - originally traded for a 2nd round draft pick
168 G Antero Niittymaki - our #1 goalie
171 G Roman Cechmanek - our former #1 goalie, traded for a 2nd rnd pick
172 D Dennis Seidenberg - traded for a center we thought we needed at the time.

So out of those 4 5th round picks we ended up with 2 2nd round picks, our #1 goalie and were able to get an NHL roster player when we needed one. Anyone else think 2nd round picks and #1 goalies are valuable? Yea those 5th round picks really sucked for us.

Old
12-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Mythology

If York comes in and shows some competitive fire then I am okay with it. To many games the Flyers have not given enough effort. The fact is they have flat out rolled over like dogs. I think this deal is about bringing in a guy with the reputation as being gritty, hard working, and competitive just like Fridge. Of coarse that was Calder also wasn't it?

Mythology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 04:58 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythology View Post
If York comes in and shows some competitive fire then I am okay with it. To many games the Flyers have not given enough effort. The fact is they have flat out rolled over like dogs. I think this deal is about bringing in a guy with the reputation as being gritty, hard working, and competitive just like Fridge. Of coarse that was Calder also wasn't it?
not the Mike York we have seen this year.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 05:03 PM

vCash: 50
I don't get everyone's major problem. We'd have lost Randy at the seasons end and until then we had oodles (what a word) of cap space to use up. York is a bit of an upgrade on Robitaille and he's off at the end of the year too. No worries.

The 5th seems unecessary however.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 05:21 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers_01 View Post
164 L Todd Fedoruk - originally traded for a 2nd round draft pick
168 G Antero Niittymaki - our #1 goalie
171 G Roman Cechmanek - our former #1 goalie, traded for a 2nd rnd pick
172 D Dennis Seidenberg - traded for a center we thought we needed at the time.

So out of those 4 5th round picks we ended up with 2 2nd round picks, our #1 goalie and were able to get an NHL roster player when we needed one. Anyone else think 2nd round picks and #1 goalies are valuable? Yea those 5th round picks really sucked for us.
Nice reasoning.

Go back, count the rest of the picks that turned into nothing, and then tell me the odds.

easton122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122 View Post
Nice reasoning.

Go back, count the rest of the picks that turned into nothing, and then tell me the odds.
I didn't know I was going to be quizzed on the odds but here goes 2 bad .. 4 good .. rest still in the system so discounting the ones still in development 66%. Even if my math is wrong I'd be happy with those 4 picks out of every 10-15 5th rounders. Here's one for you what's the percentage of NHL quality players have the Flyers drafted with picks they didn't have? Drafting isn't an exact science and good players do end up falling. For every low round pick that doesn't work out there's a Kim Johnnson or Pavel Datsyuk that does. Point is you can't draft a Kim Johnnson or a Pavel Datsyuk if you don't have a pick.

Old
12-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

OK, my thought was that if you acquire a relatively useless player who adds considerable salary, then YOUR TEAM should be the one who gets a draft pick. The Islanders are happy to get rid of salary, and they got a player who is right now as good as the one they are getting rid of, and they dump salary. I don't get it. The Islanders are the ones who should have given us a pick! Holmgren has the whole understanding of adding salary incorrect.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 06:08 PM
mikedifr

Like the Zhitnik trade, this one just makes me say

If you look at the two players, it doesnt improve our team. In fact, it is probably a lateral move for this year. They are pretty much the same player IMO. Robitaille has been much better this year on a very poor team. NYI have been a much better team then the Flyers and York hasnt done a thing this year.

Honestly, I think Holmgren is just making trade for the sake of shaking the team up, but IMO, you never make moves when desperate.

Giving up the picks, even if a 3rd and a 5th, just doesnt make sense. We basically just freed up $6 million for the NYI. They should be giving us the picks.

I am tired of hearing about getting minutes on a bad team. That is complete bull. You still need to have some skill to put up points. Robitaille was the best playmaker on the team, without Forsberg, and fit in very well with Gagne and Knuble. He should have been kept there until Forsberg came back. Robitaille is one of those players that benefited from the new rules, its simple. He went from a guy that was too small, to a decent 2nd line playmaker that can play any forward position.

Old
12-20-2006, 06:09 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
OK, my thought was that if you acquire a relatively useless player who adds considerable salary, then YOUR TEAM should be the one who gets a draft pick. The Islanders are happy to get rid of salary, and they got a player who is right now as good as the one they are getting rid of, and they dump salary. I don't get it. The Islanders are the ones who should have given us a pick! Holmgren has the whole understanding of adding salary incorrect.
Exactly. That is the part that baffles me most about these two trades. They just dont make sense.

Old
12-20-2006, 06:12 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
hopefully he clicks with gagne and knuble.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 06:17 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
hopefully he clicks with gagne and knuble.
This is where the problem is. If they obtained him to play him with Gagne and Knuble, this was the biggest waste of time. Robitaille already clicked with them. We knew he could play with them. York could come in and never click, like Calder. Why trade something known, for an unknown??

Now, if they actually put some thought into this transaction (which I highly doubt) and said to themselves - NYI are trying to rid themselves of York. York had his best years and numbers playing the LW with a righthanded shot at center (Lindros) who was more of a shooter then a playmaker, and decide to play him with Carter and Umberger/or the RW of the hour, then I dont mind the trade.

Other then giving up another pick

If the NYI use this cap space to go out and make their team much better, I am going to be extremely upset.

What is the next trade, Umberger and a 4th round pick for Yashin???? How about Picard and a 1st for Witt?

Last edited by mikedifr: 12-20-2006 at 06:23 PM.
Old
12-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Jester

i like this better than the Zhitnik trade.

1-year contract means he's not an issue going forward if you don't want him to be.

younger

seems like they'll have a couple of players Calder/York to evaluate and then see about re-signing after the year is over.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 06:33 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
i like this better than the Zhitnik trade.

1-year contract means he's not an issue going forward if you don't want him to be.

younger

seems like they'll have a couple of players Calder/York to evaluate and then see about re-signing after the year is over.
Yeah, I am with you. I dont mind it as much as the other trade (which I didnt like and still dont like) but as you said, at least it is not a cap hit going forward.

Still dont understand why we have to keep adding picks to these trades, but oh well.

Old
12-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I think we can trade Picard plus a 2nd rounder for Alex Mogilny, and probably Eager plus a 3rd for Malakhov. That should help eat up our cap space and get rid of picks!

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 07:48 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Man, we have even managed to $uck on days we don't play games.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 08:02 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

What a trade. My reaction was meh

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote