HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike York traded to Flyers for Robitaille and a 5th

Old
12-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Gert B Frobe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Robitalle was getting minutes on a bad team.

York should be a 2nd line player. First of all, he's younger, which that is fine. But it's not fine if they got him to try and make the playoffs this year. If the plan is to keep York here past this season, then I'm ok with it.
I kind of doubt that they are hoping for the playoffs this year. Maybe the thinking is to just put a little better product on the ice to sell seats? Maybe not. Anyway I think it's a good deal. Randy Robitaille is what he is. Mike York is a far better player and is an UFA after this year so how does this hurt the future? (unless the Isles get lucky with the 5th rd pick)

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 09:55 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
I kind of doubt that they are hoping for the playoffs this year. Maybe the thinking is to just put a little better product on the ice to sell seats? Maybe not. Anyway I think it's a good deal. Randy Robitaille is what he is. Mike York is a far better player and is an UFA after this year so how does this hurt the future? (unless the Isles get lucky with the 5th rd pick)
Its not a bad deal, but I dont know whether I would call it good. Its just "meh" to quote someone else. Whats the point? Maybe they are trying to pick up the upcoming UFA that are having poor seasons so they can resign them to cheap contracts for next year??

I dont think he is that much better the Robitaille though, especially not this season.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 10:09 PM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Its not a bad deal, but I dont know whether I would call it good. Its just "meh" to quote someone else. Whats the point? Maybe they are trying to pick up the upcoming UFA that are having poor seasons so they can resign them to cheap contracts for next year??

I dont think he is that much better the Robitaille though, especially not this season.

Sorry to burst some of your bubbles here but York is a SHELL of the player he was a few years ago. He has been a - player for 4 of the last 5 years, scores about once a month and gets knocked off the puck as easy as ANYONE in the entire league.

I was THRILLED when we picked him up before last year but he has been a major dissapointment for us...especially this year. He is worth MAYBE half whathe is getting. I don't know what Holmgren sees in him but I would have packed his bags and drove him to the Wachovia center myself if they asked me too.

RR is no Mario Lemeuix out there but he is better on draws, faster and to this point has better numbers on a worse team. As an Islander fan, I could not be happier with BOTH deals this week. Snow should win exec of the year for being able to unload that kind of money and grab 2 serviceable players and 2 draft picks in the process.

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 10:30 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper View Post
Sorry to burst some of your bubbles here but York is a SHELL of the player he was a few years ago. He has been a - player for 4 of the last 5 years, scores about once a month and gets knocked off the puck as easy as ANYONE in the entire league.

I was THRILLED when we picked him up before last year but he has been a major dissapointment for us...especially this year. He is worth MAYBE half whathe is getting. I don't know what Holmgren sees in him but I would have packed his bags and drove him to the Wachovia center myself if they asked me too.

RR is no Mario Lemeuix out there but he is better on draws, faster and to this point has better numbers on a worse team. As an Islander fan, I could not be happier with BOTH deals this week. Snow should win exec of the year for being able to unload that kind of money and grab 2 serviceable players and 2 draft picks in the process.

As a Flyers fan, I unfortunately have to agree with you. I am one of the few that has been debating all the Flyers fans on this board that I think these trades are bad.

As I said a couple times, Snow must have some incriminating pictures of Homgren from his days with Philly. Not only did he free himself of $6 million in cap space for this year, and Zhitnik's contract, but he also obtaind draft picks. Typically it is the team getting rid of the cap space giving up the picks.

Holmgren is an idiot!!

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 10:32 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:

That explains it....he's a perfect fit on this team.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Flyers_01

Robitaille .. 17 points in 28 games and a -4 on a bad team.
York .. 13 points in 35 games and a -9 on a good team.

Why again is this trade a wash? I mean we picked up Salary and gave up a pick for a guy doing worse than the guy we gave up. A guy who is on pace for 30 points and manages to be high in the minus on a team that wins most of it's games will be really sought after. Let's hope he doesn't get sent to a team in a teamwide scoring slump. Maybe York and a 2nd for Ozolinsh at the trade deadline because with Ozo we won't need to sign any quality dmen this year because all that matters is what the dmen did 5 years ago right? Does anyone really think that if the Islanders thought Zhitnik was still a top 4 dman they would've traded him for Meyer and a 3rd?

I was one of the people who laughed at Snow becoming GM of the Islanders but the Flyers are getting taken to school by him. I swear Holmgren is basing his trades on an old copy of the NHL 2002 video game.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 11:51 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Yeah, I am with you. I dont mind it as much as the other trade (which I didnt like and still dont like) but as you said, at least it is not a cap hit going forward.

Still dont understand why we have to keep adding picks to these trades, but oh well.
i don't understand what they're doing... but this one doesn't bug me like picking up Zhitnik does when the UFA age is dropping and having cap flexibility is of paramount importance.

i don't like giving up picks... but trading a guy like Robitaille -- given the situation of the team in the standings -- isn't a big deal in the slightest.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 12:06 AM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
i don't understand what they're doing... but this one doesn't bug me like picking up Zhitnik does when the UFA age is dropping and having cap flexibility is of paramount importance.

i don't like giving up picks... but trading a guy like Robitaille -- given the situation of the team in the standings -- isn't a big deal in the slightest.

I don't think the issue is losing Robitaille. I think the issue is paying about 1.3 million more the rest of the way for a guy who is not going to give you any more then RR did. Not to mention the "throw in" 5th rounder you gave away. The deal makes little or no sense from a Flyers point of view...just my opinion.

Old
12-21-2006, 12:46 AM
st bonnies*

i'm an islander fan and i feel both deals are a waste our time.....I always felt Robitaille was a fringe player.....York has been a huge disappointment.....zhitnik is ok....and i have no idea about meyer....isles unloaded sal cap....and the Flyers recieved some names......personally i have no idea what the isles are doing....i dont see this as a pos for the isles this year....and why are the flyers getting rid of picks....

st bonnies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 12:50 AM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by st bonnies View Post
i'm an islander fan and i feel both deals are a waste our time.....I always felt Robitaille was a fringe player.....York has been a huge disappointment.....zhitnik is ok....and i have no idea about meyer....isles unloaded sal cap....and the Flyers recieved some names......personally i have no idea what the isles are doing....i dont see this as a pos for the isles this year....and why are the flyers getting rid of picks....

You will see it as a positive if Snow turns around and adds 5 million worth of talent come March to help make a run. Or if he uses it to land a big time defenseman come this summer. What Garth has created is FLEXABILITY for this organization be it this spring or summer. Either way, gotta love what he pulled off this week.

Old
12-21-2006, 01:07 AM
st bonnies*

who are the isles getting??? they never get a stud forward. You know that....this is salary dunping......i mean randy robitaille,,,,c'mon.......meyer wont even get a reg shift on isles..he is not better than campoli or gervais......so what did we do?? we saved Wang some dough.........Flyers recieve two guys who should improve there team

st bonnies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 01:27 AM
boredmale

Quote:
You will see it as a positive if Snow turns around and adds 5 million worth of talent come March to help make a run. Or if he uses it to land a big time defenseman come this summer. What Garth has created is FLEXABILITY for this organization be it this spring or summer. Either way, gotta love what he pulled off this week.
I can see using that as an explanation for Zhitnik, but tradin York for that reason makes no sense since he will be a UFA this summer. The same people who are cheering Snow for unloading York now will most likely be *****ing when York gets traded at the deadline for significantly more then RR and a 5th.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 01:34 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
York, though on paper an upgrade over RR in terms of talent, is a player I would describe as "blah" and "meh." He never really stands out in ANY cateogry or ANY facet of the game, and when he does it's usually quietly in the negative aspect. Despite his 50 points last year, most beign assists, I would still label his as a "blah/meh" player; even in regards to work ethic and intensity. He lackas that edge, that jump that the isles as a team THRIVE on, such is part of the reason why he was dealt. The system isn't influencing him the way it is other players on the Isles, seems as though he's not giving 110%, like Nolan expects, harnesses and governs.

Ofcoarse that tune can change in a different environment, under a different coach and a different outlook on the season, but two coaches down (one including supposed MASTER motivator Ted Nolan) and York as an Islander never stood out in the work ethic department. Not that he was slacking or lollygagging ala Petr Nedved or Oleg Kvasha, but seems as though he's content with JUST DOING ENOUGH, nothing more, and nothing less to be fair.

His passing is nothing special, neither is his vision, yeah he had some decent chemistry dishing off to Satan for 3/4'ths of last year, but nothing exceptional, i really don't think he broguth out the "best" per se in Miro. Which I don't think the collective Flyer fan base is expecting him to do here. He isn't overtly fast, avg. speed, doesn't have great acceleration (actually it takes him days to reach top speed, and by that time the play is in the other zone). His shot is weak and he has NO accuracy whatsoever, that was my biggest gripe--I couldn't stand when he'd shoot. On an experimental basis he was put on the point twice, I cringed each time he wound up.

So yeah, a ringing endorsement from me.

As for Z, that's a guy the Isles will miss back there. I read that he is playing 29 minutes, I think he tends to wear out with an expanded role. But 20-25 minutes he'll play solid and quietly sound defense. He's physical enough along the boards and sheilds players off the puck as good as I've seen players LEGALLY do in the NHL post 2004. Though, yes he does take obstructionist penalties. His speed has slowed a notch, but he'll still skate loops around the rest of your d core, e.g. Hatcher. BTW he breaks up plays adroitly in the defensive and neutral zone often turning them into rushes the other ways with his heady out let passes, thus very good on the transition. Which is originally why MM brought him in post 2004, to exploit the expanded lanes and flows of the game.

I look forward to seeing how these two respond, and not to forget 6 more meetings worth. Should be interesting given that the season series is still fresh. Enjoy.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 06:51 AM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
I don't know what Homgren was thinking, but I expect he thought a change of scenery was what York needed. He was pretty good at one time. He is still young so who knows.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 07:41 AM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I can see using that as an explanation for Zhitnik, but tradin York for that reason makes no sense since he will be a UFA this summer. The same people who are cheering Snow for unloading York now will most likely be *****ing when York gets traded at the deadline for significantly more then RR and a 5th.
That's a big IF .. If the Flyers trade him and if the Flyers get significantly more. The York who played for the Islanders this year isn't going to get significantly more. Maybe the York who's playing for the Flyers will turn it up a notch because otherwise why would a playoff team trade for a minus guy on pace for 30 points. What does York bring to the table right now that a playoff team would want?

Old
12-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Jester

Quote:
I don't think the issue is losing Robitaille. I think the issue is paying about 1.3 million more the rest of the way for a guy who is not going to give you any more then RR did. Not to mention the "throw in" 5th rounder you gave away. The deal makes little or no sense from a Flyers point of view...just my opinion.
that's just it... who the F cares about the money? it's there money... and similar to Calder he's gone at the end of the year if we don't want to keep him. the money doesn't matter... given that this is NOT a playoff team, it isn't like we're going to be trading for some big contract that's going to be putting us over the top.

so, picking up a cap figure that can be easily gone by next year doesn't bother me in the slightest... if the idea is to get a guy in here who might be part of a long term solution (not saying that he is) and give him some time here to evaluate him makes sense. much easier to get an idea for a player when he's in house than from afar... in that sense, the deal makes sense.

money is a complete and utter non-issue.

Old
12-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Flyers_01

Article on www.cbssportsline.com

Robitaille returns to the Islanders, where he spent the end of the 2002-03 regular season and played in five playoff games. Islanders GM Garth Snow said he expects Robitaille, 31, to help their power play.

"And while we acquire a player in Randy whose production is equal to Mike's, we also gain additional cap flexibility," Snow said.

I really hope the Flyers get something for York at the trade deadline because Garth seems to get it while the Flyers don't.

Old
12-21-2006, 01:18 PM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post

Yeah, underachievers who make WAY to much money will bring a HUGE return. Your dreaming if you think a team will overpay for that clown ESPECIALLY considering he is a UFA come season's end. You will be lucky to get back the value you laid out come the deadline.

Old
12-21-2006, 01:21 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers_01 View Post
Robitaille .. 17 points in 28 games and a -4 on a bad team.
York .. 13 points in 35 games and a -9 on a good team.

where was York playing on the Island?
Robitialle was getting top line minutes here, something he probably never got anywhere in his life before.
No disputing York is the better player, even if he is a overpaid bum. He will fit right in with the makeup with this team. At least both players are a UFA after this season. I still am unsure about us taking on this salary unless there is something to this. .ie a future arrangement sometime down the line possibilly in the offseason, I dont know. There is only one thing I want right now.
The season to end. This has been a ****ing nightmare.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 01:25 PM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
that's just it... who the F cares about the money? it's there money... and similar to Calder he's gone at the end of the year if we don't want to keep him. the money doesn't matter... given that this is NOT a playoff team, it isn't like we're going to be trading for some big contract that's going to be putting us over the top.

so, picking up a cap figure that can be easily gone by next year doesn't bother me in the slightest... if the idea is to get a guy in here who might be part of a long term solution (not saying that he is) and give him some time here to evaluate him makes sense. much easier to get an idea for a player when he's in house than from afar... in that sense, the deal makes sense.

money is a complete and utter non-issue.
Non issue huh? Ok, whatever you say. How about if there are players better then Zhitnik and York available at the deadline that you could have aquired if you did not add those two guys who really don't make a difference this year for you to begin with? Why hamstring yourself in a season where your going nowhere anyway? You lost draft picks, added salary and did not get any closer to the playoffs. Seems point less to me but if you like York coming in...enjoy.

Old
12-21-2006, 02:09 PM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
Non issue huh? Ok, whatever you say. How about if there are players better then Zhitnik and York available at the deadline that you could have aquired if you did not add those two guys who really don't make a difference this year for you to begin with? Why hamstring yourself in a season where your going nowhere anyway? You lost draft picks, added salary and did not get any closer to the playoffs. Seems point less to me but if you like York coming in...enjoy.

this a touchy subject or something? why are you worrying about this...sounds like you deep down miss york and zhitnik as you sound quite bitter.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 02:24 PM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCxNJ View Post
this a touchy subject or something? why are you worrying about this...sounds like you deep down miss york and zhitnik as you sound quite bitter.

I am not worried in the least. Just debating an issue...I thought that's why they invented message boards in the first place.

Old
12-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
30 games with a low production doesn't make York a bad player.. Does it? He is 28 years old.

NYI fans riding a high horse? lol.. Make playoffs first.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Jester

Quote:
yo genius...

what makes you think this team is going to be in a position to pick up contracts at the deadline that matter? this team, regardless of complete overhaul is NOT a playoff team right now and no deals that make sense are going to fix that.

this comment in particular:

Quote:
Why hamstring yourself in a season where your going nowhere anyway?
makes absolutely ZERO sense. we're already hamstrung because we're not very friggin good... these deals aren't hamstringing us... they just don't make sense. York REALLY doesn't matter, he doesn't have a contract for next year... which is what the management should be worrying about already. i don't like the Zhitnik deal because he has more years left.

the money DOESN'T matter if it isn't on the books next year... it would matter if we were a playoff team, but we're not. so who the F cares? if they make deals that don't give up anything and commit no money to next year they can do whatever they want and it isn't going to change the situation as of now.

baffled at why you would think anyone would care about picking up a 1-year contract when it's already a lost year.

Old
12-21-2006, 03:08 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
That seems like an oxymoron to me. As Jester said, 'who cares?' I'm not a fan of this deal, but that's certainly not because of the money. Either York plays well in Philly and we re-sign him at a lower figure, or he stinks and he's gone at the end of this season. Your argument is irrelevent because money is not the issue here.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote