HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Callahan sent down; Isbister recalled

Old
12-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
True Blue, regardless of his age, definitely chases kids off his porch with a broomstick.
Actually, he just sits them down and berates them.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 12:00 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
True Blue, regardless of his age, definitely chases kids off his porch with a broomstick.
I often try to give them candy first, though.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 12:01 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Actually, he just sits them down and berates them.

Et tu, Brute?

Old
12-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I often try to give them candy first, though.
Yeah, candy with with glass and razor bits.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 12:20 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Just please stop placing Betts on 4th or add some kids to the only defensive line we have!!
Can't they still be a defensive line on the 4th? I don't see how dropping them down a line prevents them from being a defensive, shutdown line. In fact, that move would return us to 4 strong lines, something that was successful last season.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 12:46 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Can't they still be a defensive line on the 4th? I don't see how dropping them down a line prevents them from being a defensive, shutdown line. In fact, that move would return us to 4 strong lines, something that was successful last season.
3rd line plays against best opponent lines most of its time. 4th line cannot be shut down line because of time they play. If you keep 4th line shutting down top opponent lines for 6 min a game, the remaining 15 will have to be covered by our 1st and 2nd lines. Our 3rd line plays 15 min a game so only remaining 5-6 minutes are covered by 1st. You may increase 4th line playing time, but even 10 min will usually represent half of the time of opposition 1st. Keep in mind that shutdown line doesn't score. Teams that have scoring shutdown lines win the SC.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Edge

Quote:
He is not what?

Why would I forget about 3 4th liners failing in the role of 3rd liners?Just please
Why? That is where he belongs.

His NHL future is probably as a 3rd line player.

This is priceless. Shanny has no place on this team, but Orr is adequate. Let me ask you something. Do you actually watch the games or just read about them?

Now it gets better. You actually think that Isbitster is here to play the 2nd line? Oh my.
You DO realize this only going to end with Tylenol right?

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Fletch

Not sure...

I understand this: "Keep in mind that shutdown line doesn't score. Teams that have scoring shutdown lines win the SC". Seems contradictory. On one hand they don't score, on the other they do. So it's basically what most have been saying - the 'shut down' line should also be able to score to be effecitive - and Betts' line isn't doing that, and Betts himself isn't doing that.

TB - oddly enough, Isbister may be here to play the second line. If he is, that's pretty sickening since he wasn't playing a second line in Hartford and amassed one point in 8 games. I hope he's not, but it is one of the odd things Renney would try, along with Betts centering Shanahan.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

TB - oddly enough, Isbister may be here to play the second line. If he is, that's pretty sickening since he wasn't playing a second line in Hartford and amassed one point in 8 games. I hope he's not, but it is one of the odd things Renney would try, along with Betts centering Shanahan.
After looking at Steve Zippay's blog (http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/blog/) and seeing Nylander will be out and probably Cullen too, I could easily se Renney doing this:

Prucha-Straka-Jagr
Shanny-Immo-Isbo
Hossa-Betts-Ward
Hall-Holly-The Guy I will not Name...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 02:35 PM
Fletch

His name is...

But(t), er(r) Or(r).

Old
12-21-2006, 02:55 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Prucha-Straka-Jagr
Shanny-Immo-Isbo
Hossa-Betts-Ward
Hall-Holly-The Guy I will not Name...

Old
12-21-2006, 03:03 PM
94now

Quote:
I understand this: "Keep in mind that shutdown line doesn't score. Teams that have scoring shutdown lines win the SC". Seems contradictory. On one hand they don't score, on the other they do. So it's basically what most have been saying - the 'shut down' line should also be able to score to be effecitive - and Betts' line isn't doing that, and Betts himself isn't doing that.

It is not contradictory. It is only so if you set to win the SC and have Blare Betts on 3rd line as a centre. Then you get John Madden if available. We are not the Cup contender. We are re-building team. Betts is the product of that re-build. Not completly, but mostly finished product. No need to move him down or out. Stop criticize the guy. Root for him, cause he's here to stay (barring some idiotic trades by GM).

Old
12-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Fletch

Sorry 94...

I understood what you meant, but the way it was written was contradictory. You saw the shutdown line doesn't score. But then said it should score. Did you mean the Rangers' 'shutdown' line doesn't score and to be successful it should? So in other words, Betts shouldn't be this team's 'shutdown' center. But what's confusing is you say all the time that their job isn't to score, but then say that to be real successful, i.e., Stanley Cup contenders, they must score. So I deduce that the 'shutdown' line needs to score and conclude once again that Betts shouldn't be on it.

I do root for Betts. But I also recognize his faults. I believe that with 2 minutes less he'd be as effective offensively, and the Rangers wouldn't be less off defensively and likely better offensively and thus better overall. What's wrong with wanting this team to be the best possible, rebuild or not? Betts is a fourth line centerman. He could be the best darn fourth liner around too and would enable Renney to roll four lines so Shanny doesn't need to average over 20 minutes per game, as 16 minutes is probably more like it - no PK, smidgeon less ES.

Old
12-21-2006, 04:54 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
You DO realize this only going to end with Tylenol right?
That or another Scotch night.

And Isbitster on the 2nd line is preposterous. It is another example of anything outside of the organization being better than inside. If you are so desperate as to play that slug on the 2nd line, wouldn't even trying Dawes there be better?

Old
12-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Fletch

Let's not get ahead of ourselves...

he hasn't played the second line yet. Given that Renney had no problem playing Jason Ward on a top line (***?), you just never, ever know.

Old
12-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I understood what you meant, but the way it was written was contradictory. You saw the shutdown line doesn't score. But then said it should score. Did you mean the Rangers' 'shutdown' line doesn't score and to be successful it should? So in other words, Betts shouldn't be this team's 'shutdown' center. But what's confusing is you say all the time that their job isn't to score, but then say that to be real successful, i.e., Stanley Cup contenders, they must score. So I deduce that the 'shutdown' line needs to score and conclude once again that Betts shouldn't be on it.

I do root for Betts. But I also recognize his faults. I believe that with 2 minutes less he'd be as effective offensively, and the Rangers wouldn't be less off defensively and likely better offensively and thus better overall. What's wrong with wanting this team to be the best possible, rebuild or not? Betts is a fourth line centerman. He could be the best darn fourth liner around too and would enable Renney to roll four lines so Shanny doesn't need to average over 20 minutes per game, as 16 minutes is probably more like it - no PK, smidgeon less ES.
Yes, wouldn't it make sense to have Immonen play at least as many minutes at even strength as Betts? Hasn't happened to this point and there can be a good argument made that the team would be stronger overall if it did. I'm not talking 5 minutes here, more like 2-3 minutes, a pretty smal adjustment.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Fletch

Yup...

but Renney plays not to lose, as opposed to playing to win. Guys like Ward, Hossa, Betts, etc., are there to not lose the game which places reliance on the big four to win the game. Guys like Dawes are too high risk and don't fit into the mold that Renney's looking for. Immonen surprisingly falls into that category too despite being this team's best faceoff guy and showing decent defensive skills. He did seem to play more towards the latter part of the Isles game as he and Hossa were playing quite well together.

Old
12-21-2006, 09:14 PM
GOMEZ+DRURY*

Isbister looks pretty good, he has some grit to his game and he has "some" scoring touch...he just scored his 100th goal tonight. I think he should stay.

GOMEZ+DRURY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 09:17 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Pass. He looked slow and lazy out there. Has some skill but not enough....if Callahan or Dawes played a game like that they'd be on a bus back to HFD from FLA already.

For a guy who pretty much was called up for a last chance to make the NHL...he showed pretty much no heart or energy.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:37 PM
True Blue

Quote:
but Renney plays not to lose, as opposed to playing to win. Guys like Ward, Hossa, Betts, etc., are there to not lose the game which places reliance on the big four to win the game.
Not to hijack this tread into a different direction, but that is a GREAT point, Fletch.

Old
12-21-2006, 11:20 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by immonen4mvp View Post
Isbister looks pretty good, he has some grit to his game and he has "some" scoring touch...he just scored his 100th goal tonight. I think he should stay.
I should hope he played his guts out in his first game back in the NHL. But, honestly, he didn't look very quick out there and didn't really play a robust game (not that that he ever did that enough anyway)--he's now officially a bubble player. Unless he keeps his intensity level up--and ideally should really increase it--then he'll be right back in the AHL.

Old
12-21-2006, 11:36 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

What a load of **** this turned out to be.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 08:44 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Unless he keeps his intensity level up--and ideally should really increase it--then he'll be right back in the AHL.
I disagree, Brook. In order to send him back to Hartford, that means that he will have to go through waivers. This org has shown that they do not like to chance to loose anyone that way. He scored a goal last night (although I agree he did not look that great). He is here to stay for a while. Welcome to our new 2nd/3rd line wing.

Old
12-22-2006, 03:45 PM
DutchShamrock

In hindsight, this is kind of funny now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Don't you realize that Isbister has 99 career goals? Sather is giving him a chance to score that historic #100 so that they can have another center ice ceremony!!!!

Nothing will ever change until Sather is gone and knowing how Dolan is loyal to incompetents (see: Isiah Thomas as well as the invisible Glen), our future doesn't look all that grand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Actually alot of people acknowledge that Cally going down is better than being scratched or getting 5 minutes, but the head shaker is that Isbister gets the call up. The team has made it clear that you have to earn your call ups. I see your point that he is the most ideal guy to sit in the press box, but that remains to be seen. I really wouldn't be surprised if Isbister gets at least 5 or 6 minutes in the next game, nothing from the staff would contradict that.
This is only one game, so I don't want this taken too seriously but it is interesting:

Isbister time on ice per game (1 gm) - 8:33
Callahan time on ice per game (2 gm) - 5:31

Another fun note is that Isbister has 16 shifts so far in NYR while Cally has 16 also but in twice as many games.

So I'll say it again for effect: What did Isbister do to earn this call-up and get this much of a role? Is he really here as a place holder until the injured recover or is he getting a more prominent role because of age and tenure? And I want to gloat about predicting Isbister's ice time.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I disagree, Brook. In order to send him back to Hartford, that means that he will have to go through waivers. This org has shown that they do not like to chance to loose anyone that way. He scored a goal last night (although I agree he did not look that great). He is here to stay for a while. Welcome to our new 2nd/3rd line wing.
He's already passed through waivers twice--once to get sent down at the beginning of the season and once to be recalled this week, if he's sent down again, it's because he's not working hard and/or producing. I seriously doubt anyone would bite then anyway.