orrthegreatest

vCash: 500
Holiday mailbag by Kirk

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/bruins/200312/claws1.html

Old
12-01-2003, 07:36 AM
sarge88

It's nice to see someone call out the officials in print and sign their name to it. Regardless of how you feel about the officiating in regard to the B's or any other team, I am tired of the feeling that it is wrong to place blame on the officials, especially when it comes from sportswriters or sports radio personalities. These are the same people who have absolutely no problem calling out a player or players when they have a bad game, but for some reason officials are exempt from criticism or accountability. If a referee blows a call or is clearly unfair to one team to the benefit of another, like on Friday, then they should be held accountable. This is not different from any player or coach. To me the days of not questioning the integrity or ability of officials are long gone. If I was in charge of the NHL, I would not only fine or dismiss incompetent officials but I would make public who was fined or dismissed and why. This would have a coulple of positive effects, first it would make the officials accountable for their work, just like you and I are. Second, fans will actually get the feeling that things are being dealt with appropriately and that there isn't an old boys network, where no matter how poorly the officials perform their bosses look the other way.

Old
12-01-2003, 12:15 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88
It's nice to see someone call out the officials in print and sign their name to it. Regardless of how you feel about the officiating in regard to the B's or any other team, I am tired of the feeling that it is wrong to place blame on the officials, especially when it comes from sportswriters or sports radio personalities. These are the same people who have absolutely no problem calling out a player or players when they have a bad game, but for some reason officials are exempt from criticism or accountability. If a referee blows a call or is clearly unfair to one team to the benefit of another, like on Friday, then they should be held accountable. This is not different from any player or coach. To me the days of not questioning the integrity or ability of officials are long gone. If I was in charge of the NHL, I would not only fine or dismiss incompetent officials but I would make public who was fined or dismissed and why. This would have a coulple of positive effects, first it would make the officials accountable for their work, just like you and I are. Second, fans will actually get the feeling that things are being dealt with appropriately and that there isn't an old boys network, where no matter how poorly the officials perform their bosses look the other way.
I thinks it alright to call them out as a fan but you also have to be able to say the Broons got away with stuff- Jackson and Rooney were so inconsistent they had to eat their whistles when Boynton should have gotten 4 and Hartnell zip imo. From my seat, Hartnell didn't do anything wrong but play physical but Boynton came at him like he stole Nick's front row parking spot at the Mall on a Saturday afternoon. They had let the game get away and imo thought its easier based on score etc to give each matching. And McGillis slashed on Pred with a two hander that was an obvious penalty- even McGillis took a look over. My beef was the two nonearly calls- the pissing and moaning by Broon players, and the look at they skated by during clock stoppages that had the refs nail them first chance they could. (as an aside- I could see myself doing just the same as them but that don't make it right or me right. they are professionals, me I'm just a frustrated, miserable and vindictive Broons fan who hasn't gotten over game 2 in the 1971 opening round vs Habs)

Old
12-01-2003, 05:20 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
I thinks it alright to call them out as a fan but you also have to be able to say the Broons got away with stuff- Jackson and Rooney were so inconsistent they had to eat their whistles when Boynton should have gotten 4 and Hartnell zip imo. From my seat, Hartnell didn't do anything wrong but play physical but Boynton came at him like he stole Nick's front row parking spot at the Mall on a Saturday afternoon. They had let the game get away and imo thought its easier based on score etc to give each matching. And McGillis slashed on Pred with a two hander that was an obvious penalty- even McGillis took a look over. My beef was the two nonearly calls- the pissing and moaning by Broon players, and the look at they skated by during clock stoppages that had the refs nail them first chance they could. (as an aside- I could see myself doing just the same as them but that don't make it right or me right. they are professionals, me I'm just a frustrated, miserable and vindictive Broons fan who hasn't gotten over game 2 in the 1971 opening round vs Habs)
I agree, there are games where the B's get away with more than they should, which is ultimately the problem. My point wasn't just from a Bruins point of view, I think that referees have gotten a free ride especially from the NHL office for years now. However, given the fact that informed people genuinely feel that the officiating is sub par at best and downright shameful at worst, then it stands to reason that there will be times that this incompetence will hurt one team worse than another in a given game. When they went to the 2 referee system, they seemed to realize as an afterthought that they would then need twice the on ice officials. This allowed guys like Rooney, Angus, Kowal, Peel, Joanette and several others who were terrible in the AHL, to become NHL referees. I worked as an off ice official in the AHL in the late 90's and believe me these guys, especially Peel, Kowal and the worst of all Joanette were laughingstocks. Their inability to control a game was legendary even at that level. I understand that referees rarely get compliments from scouts, players, coaches and gm's, but believe me the level of ridicule that those three got was above and beyond what was typical. And it wasn't just for the team I worked for, scouts, coaches, players and even broadcasters from the out of town teams had the same complaints about those guys. The good ones, Sharrers and one or two others that I can't remember the names of, did receive a noticeable amount of respect both on and off the ice.

Closed Thread