Game Thread: Bruins @ Thrashers l 12/03/03 l 7:30 ET l NESN

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2003, 05:02 PM
neelynugs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return of the Vin
Very satisfying to see Kovalchuk get burned.
he was pretty bad tonight- maybe the worst game i've seen him play (not that i've watched 90 thrashers games or anything). i personally don't think boynton's remarks got into his head, but i guess one never knows. again, nice to see him NOT score, and nice to see us actually beat the thrashers. nurminen looked terrible tonight also. sure, he made some good stops, but he also let in some very weak goals. maybe daFOLD should've played for them after all, eh?

Old
12-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Kovalchuck is still a helluva talent.. Let's be thankful we had no penalty killing to do tonight.

With a little extra ice , that kid is freakin' deadly.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
12-03-2003, 05:06 PM
BlacknGold Barbarino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
Kovalchuck is still a helluva talent.. Let's be thankful we had no penalty killing to do tonight.

Pat Falloon's a heck of a talent too.

In all seriousness, you're right. Kovalchuck is scary-good in the offensive zone. He's one of those players I love to hate, though, along with Pavel Bure and Eric Lindros. They're good....but they're awful.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Terry O

Send a message via AIM to Terry O
11 different Bruins scored points tonight
That's has to be a big confidence booster for the whole team.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:10 PM
Don Cherry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
good job to lock it down in the end.

as for exelby, the guy hit thornton clean, and joe got back up and was fine. mccarthy challenged exelby on the next shift, but he wanted no part of it. i don't see the reasoning behind why we need to send sandy out to start a brawl at the end of a game we just won. game ends, we win, let's build on it. not harp on why there wasn't a fight
Exelby should have been pounded by McCarthy for several reasons, pride being one of them. I'm getting sick of turn-the-other-cheek hockey. It reminds me of about the 94-95 season pre-Dean Chynoweth. Sickening to watch.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:10 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally

Agreed, just playing around....It should atleast make us a little less prone to throw the hammer down on Joe everytime he has an off night...

Old
12-03-2003, 05:13 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry
Exelby should have been pounded by McCarthy for several reasons, pride being one of them. I'm getting sick of turn-the-other-cheek hockey. It reminds me of about the 94-95 season pre-Dean Chynoweth. Sickening to watch.
you're right- it'd be much better if mccarthy took an instigator penalty, kovalchuk scored on the PP, and we lost. but at least sandy would've fought. gimme a break

Old
12-03-2003, 05:14 PM
WBC8

Quote:
good job to lock it down in the end.

as for exelby, the guy hit thornton clean, and joe got back up and was fine. mccarthy challenged exelby on the next shift, but he wanted no part of it. i don't see the reasoning behind why we need to send sandy out to start a brawl at the end of a game we just won. game ends, we win, let's build on it. not harp on why there wasn't a fight
because once again we sent no message....It's open season on everyone with the spoked B, including our captain. Teams know they can play dirty or throw clean body checks and get away with it...I haven't seen Trevor Linden take too many more "clean" hits after Ed Jovanovski beat the living hell out of Brad Isbister.....

I'm not even saying McCarthy should have did it, because I respect the "enforcer code", although I'm not quite sure that Sandy fits into that category anymore...

Old
12-03-2003, 05:18 PM
Don Cherry*

Quote:
you're right- it'd be much better if mccarthy took an instigator penalty, kovalchuk scored on the PP, and we lost. but at least sandy would've fought. gimme a break
Yeah, they OFTEN call an instigator when both guys drop the gloves. (snicker) Despite the fact that some people want to believe that players are "scared" of McCarthy, Exelby would have dropped his gloves and probably McCarthy as well. Exelby is tough, young and hungry and McCarthy has officially become a joke.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:25 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Yeah, they OFTEN call an instigator when both guys drop the gloves. (snicker) Despite the fact that some people want to believe that players are "scared" of McCarthy, Exelby would have dropped his gloves and probably McCarthy as well. Exelby is tough, young and hungry and McCarthy has officially become a joke.
Could we take Exelby's heart and tenacity and somehow put it into hal Gill's body?

Old
12-03-2003, 05:26 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
uh huh. so, when mccarthy skated over and challenged exelby, why'd he turn him down? the fact is, if mccarthy drops his gloves and starts swinging at exelby, there's every reason to believe the ref calls an instigator, especially knowing that exelby might be targeted. they didn't fight, big deal. we won the game. maybe people should talk about that, rather than harp about the lack of a fight.
by the way, zamuner played a great game tonight. any of you guys that have been hating on him want to speak up, or are you gonna keep quiet now?

Old
12-03-2003, 05:28 PM
bwunderlich

why do folks want to send a physical message to a non-division opponent who'll come in 9th or 10th in the conference when we have to fly home and battle the Leafs for 1st place in the division 20 hours from now???

for the life of me!!! - get out of this game as quickly and easy as possible and gear up for a real battle. now, tommorrow if bruins are turtling all over the place then DC & Co have my full endorsement to P&M.

enjoy the 2 points folks!!

is bergeron's middle name cucumber?

Old
12-03-2003, 05:33 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwunderlich
why do folks want to send a physical message to a non-division opponent who'll come in 9th or 10th in the conference when we have to fly home and battle the Leafs for 1st place in the division 20 hours from now???

for the life of me!!! - get out of this game as quickly and easy as possible and gear up for a real battle. now, tommorrow if bruins are turtling all over the place then DC & Co have my full endorsement to P&M.

enjoy the 2 points folks!!

is bergeron's middle name cucumber?
very well said brian.

after last night's rangers/leafs game, i'm sure that guys like domi, tucker and marchment will be extra ornery. toronto is due for a loss though- 6 straight wins...yup, they're due. and i think it's a good bet that we'll see a fight tomorrow night- but even if mccarthy knocked domi out, people would complain. "what a goon- he didn't do anything on the ice. skated poorly, didn't set anyone up, and all he did was fight domi. we need better players on the 4th line"

Old
12-03-2003, 05:40 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
very well said brian.

after last night's rangers/leafs game, i'm sure that guys like domi, tucker and marchment will be extra ornery. toronto is due for a loss though- 6 straight wins...yup, they're due. and i think it's a good bet that we'll see a fight tomorrow night- but even if mccarthy knocked domi out, people would complain. "what a goon- he didn't do anything on the ice. skated poorly, didn't set anyone up, and all he did was fight domi. we need better players on the 4th line"
also, after what happened last week against the Preds the Broons have played two games very disciplined. It appears it is on all their minds and if so- then tremendous they are sticking to the plan.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:50 PM
TheBigBadB

geez Zam plays one good game and you have people gloating over it..I still think he is taking up valuable time to someone like Zino..I dont mind Zam, but for the money he makes, he should be having nights like this all the time instead of once every blue moon..

Speaking of Zino..the kid made a nice play on Grosek's goal..If he didnt block the winger from getting to Moran then he would have never got the shot off...smart move by him..again for the couple of seconds Sully actually has Zino with Sammy they played well...he isnt gonna create nothing with Mccarthy and Grosek cause they play a completely different game than him..I am more than sure Sully cant wait for Axe to come back to sit Zino..the kid wants to play..I think thats why you see him play longer shifts than he is suppose to...He's trying to prove he is a better player than a 4 minutes a night fourth line player...but Sully wants no part of the kid..I think its more of OC wanting him there rather than Sully...

Not a bad game..but defense is starting to be a concern..I can believe the Bruins didnt get any penalties cause they werent taking anybody out infront of the net...They have to pay the price for being there, but for some reason the whole defensive unit decides that stick checking is all they need to do..thats got to change..What happen to Boynton..his play is getting worse and worse...he doesnt look healthy either..Did you see when he got check? Looks like he didnt have the strength to stop it...I wonder if he needs a game off and let someone else play..I remember him having to do that last year also..

Its a building block and a step in the right direction..but they still need work..

Oh and Thornton should get laid out every game...did you see that hit..dang..he can be a monster when provoked..Hope that happens tomorrow too!!!

Old
12-03-2003, 07:12 PM
BostonGrl819

Boynton did end up a plus one for the night...better than some of his past performances.

What do people think about Jillson? Is he playing hurt? He got hardly any PP time, but he still logged around 16 minutes.

Old
12-03-2003, 07:20 PM
HockeyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGrl819
Boynton did end up a plus one for the night...better than some of his past performances.

What do people think about Jillson? Is he playing hurt? He got hardly any PP time, but he still logged around 16 minutes.

Jillson could well be hurting, because I noticed that he's playing a fair deal more tentative (and seemingly with less confidence overall) lately (the past two games, but it was especially noticeable tonight).

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
Old
12-04-2003, 12:42 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
uh huh. so, when mccarthy skated over and challenged exelby, why'd he turn him down? the fact is, if mccarthy drops his gloves and starts swinging at exelby, there's every reason to believe the ref calls an instigator, especially knowing that exelby might be targeted. they didn't fight, big deal. we won the game. maybe people should talk about that, rather than harp about the lack of a fight.
by the way, zamuner played a great game tonight. any of you guys that have been hating on him want to speak up, or are you gonna keep quiet now?
I'm glad Zams reads our board!

Old
12-04-2003, 01:19 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuthornton
I think the reason our games against ATL turn out to be high scoring is simple, speed and defense. ATL is a very fast team. Their speed and quick transition exploits our main defensive liability, that being mobility. When we go down a few goals, our forwards turn up the offensive forcheck and ATL's weak defense cant handle it.
That perfectly illustrates the Bruins' biggest problem: slow footed defensemen. And it's another reason why we couldn't afford to take any penalties last night. We can't risk giving Kovalchuk and his buddies open ice on a man advantage or a four-on-four.

Closed Thread