HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unfortunately, expect a horrible night for #57

Old
12-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Habs_Apostle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
Montreal fans love to boo. They read la Presse or watch "100%" or whatever it's called, and then head off to the rink and boo their selected target.

I think one of the most embarrasing moments for me as a hab fan was when the fans booed Saku over the Ribs fight.
Yes, often the first utterance by newborns of Habs fans is not "gooo gooo," rather it's "booo booo."

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 07:25 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
booo that punk

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Tervin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
I wasn't there but only one game (hockeyville winner) wasn't televised. Let's just say I never "heard" any boing so it was pretty insignificant.
Well I surely don't agree that it was insignificant just because you didn't hear it on t.v. If you were there you would agree with me.

Tervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 01:40 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
As a sort of sidenote, look at what kind of team player Downey is. There aren't many players who would give the kid a call.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...006/CPSPORTS01

I know I complained about all the articles, so this is kind of hypocrital, but whatever. It still shows you what kind of guy Downey is. You love having guys like that around, guys like that help teams win.
Wow, that's a feel-good article. It just illustrates how Murray and Downey are team players -- in an individual way, less than the sum of their parts, but from a team perspective, much greater.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 01:44 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I missed the game tonight, how did Murray play? Who centred the fourth line?

12-22-2006, 01:44 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
It never happened.
Besides the next game after saying that Carbo said it was Kost and not Perez who was fighting with Guillaume for a spot. No one booed Kost either.

The "media" think they can influence other into booing players they don't like. DeFoy tried to launch a "boo Kovalev" campaign and he still only got applauded at the next game. Like Theo said when he left Montreal : «The Montreal media doens't have that much power as they think...except Red. »
Theo actually said that? That's pretty awesome, since Red Fischer is outstanding.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 01:50 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

I think it's his 2nd fight in 2 games, he took on Allen in Florida and Eager tonight.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 05:31 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

People forget that Lapierre was brought in because of injuries..for replacement! Nothing more, nothing less. They didn't brought him there because they felt he had a spot to take. Heck this would have happened at the beginning of the season. I know he played well, he was impressive but he did the job that was required of him for the team. Then Begin came back and it was time for Lap to go back to Hamilton. Don't worry he has a great futur and he proved it. What's cool is that he did so above and beyond what they were expecting that his play may have made the Habs change their views about their line-up and I bet that if some guys continue to be average, Lapierre will be called in and he will take that player's spot.

Frankly I didn't get the hoopla surrounding the whole thing about him being sent down. Although I rarely go the Bell Center so I can undersand the people buying tickets wanting to see Lapierre.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 07:36 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
Francois Gendron (journalist, Lapresse) said in his blog that Gainey has been back at work since monday.

THis Lapierre demotion is Gaineys doing. Not Carbo.
So what? It had to be done and the example of Anaheim was used from last season with Perry and Co. This is a cap world people and because of that he had to be sent down. If he is not making a big thing of it why should the media and fans? He will back sooner rather then later. it's funny how people think he will remain a point per game guy...

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 07:36 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post

Who were the losers reading <the gazette> when a journalist was tearing down Brisebois?

Stefan_Latulippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 07:42 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
So they will pick on the 4th line player who is not from Quebec? I hope not.
And what would be the problem there?

On OTR last Tuesday, Stan Butler (you must like him, a real canadian, coached the Junior Team twice), McGill (played for the Leafs, good ol'western boy, now on the NHL network) PLUS two other guests, ALL said that they would take a canadian player BEFORE a european. The follow-up question was, would you take Crosby or Ovechkin, all of them said Crosby because he was canadian. They did not talk for a second about talent, age, salary or anything else, the general consensus was that you would always go for a canadian, over a euro, because a canadian has the stanley cup tatooed within himself.

With that being said, where is the problem for quebecers (shall i say frogs so you can understand) for wanting another frog on the team IF it is ok for Stan "great canadian" Butler to prefer a canadian over an european?

Double-standard here

Old
12-22-2006, 07:45 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe View Post
I will be at the game tonight! I remembered to boo-birds toward Brisebois started by a column written by Jack Todd. Samething will happen tonite as Francois Gagnon, Cyberpresse, launched the idea.
Did Todd start that ? Todd started the breeze By crap, he had a personal issue with Brisebois but I'm not sure that Todd didn't just pile on when the ball was already rolling. I can't prove it or provide a timeline, but I believe Brisebois got booed after a particularly bad stretch, late in a lop sided game. Todd jumped in with his traditional cheap shots. It got more popular then and there was talk of a certain group of fans who targeted him, but I doubt Todd started anything.

I know a lot of sports fans of varying degrees of knowledge, but I've never met anyone influenced by anything Todd has said.

Todd usually doesn't work alone when he has an agenda. Remember when he and Rejean Tremblay tag teamed Mario Tremblay ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
Montreal fans love to boo. They read la Presse or watch "100%" or whatever it's called, and then head off to the rink and boo their selected target.
You mean like The Gazette's readers who statered to boo Brisebois after they were told to by Jack Todd? Yeah, those anglo-readers like to boo.

Old
12-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Did Todd start that ? Todd started the breeze By crap, he had a personal issue with Brisebois but I'm not sure that Todd didn't just pile on when the ball was already rolling. I can't prove it or provide a timeline, but I believe Brisebois got booed after a particularly bad stretch, late in a lop sided game. Todd jumped in with his traditional cheap shots. It got more popular then and there was talk of a certain group of fans who targeted him, but I doubt Todd started anything.

I know a lot of sports fans of varying degrees of knowledge, but I've never met anyone influenced by anything Todd has said.

Todd usually doesn't work alone when he has an agenda. Remember when he and Rejean Tremblay tag teamed Mario Tremblay ?
Todd started it right after Brisbois drove on his foot in the Habs parking lot.

I remember the Tremblay, Todd and Raymond all tagging against Tremblay for not wanting to give them preferential treatment. I read in Jean Perron's book, that one of the first thing that Corey told him to do, was to give his personal phone number to those 3....Mario said no way to that request and we now know the rest!

Old
12-22-2006, 07:57 AM
mcphee

Quote:
You mean like The Gazette's readers who statered to boo Brisebois after they were told to by Jack Todd? Yeah, those anglo-readers like to boo.
I think Mtl fans often have an inflated version of their own hockey acumen, and feel a direct ownership of the team. The booing,imo, is just a childish reaction to not getting your way.

I don't know who boos who. I listen to sports radio and I've heard callers bash Brisebois unmercifully, but I've heard the same on CKAC. The common thread is that the callers who defend the player, often assume it's the other ethnic group doing the booing.

I'll agree. If a Saskatchewan based Hab fan watches the game and hears Murray or Rivet being booed, well, I'd bet they assume it's not that bastion of anglo culture,mcphee doing the booing. You can reverse it, if Dandenault's taking the heat, who will CKAC's callers think did it ? The truth ? Like usual, somewhere in between.

You will always see more demonstrative reaction in Montreal, imo, it's a city of extremes, quick highs and lows. The classiest gesture, the ugliest.

If fans boo a player because RDS paints someone in a bad light, or a shoddy columnist targets a player, that says more about the fan than anything else. Making it language related doesn't wash, at least not completely, not from the original post nor the rebuttals to it.

Old
12-22-2006, 07:59 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Todd started it right after Brisbois drove on his foot in the Habs parking lot.

I remember the Tremblay, Todd and Raymond all tagging against Tremblay for not wanting to give them preferential treatment. I read in Jean Perron's book, that one of the first thing that Corey told him to do, was to give his personal phone number to those 3....Mario said no way to that request and we now know the rest!
Stefan, I'm not disputing Todd's mean spirited articles, that's just what he does. I'm wondering if it had already started though. I'm sure he made it worse, but I don't think he lit the match. Frankly, I don't know anyone who has the slightest bit of respect for him.

Stefan, the day Tremblay was fired, and I don't argue that he should've been, I remember hearing him on CKAC while Rejean Tremblay was in studio. Mario outlined how and why it was personal, and pinpointed the day RT said he was going to 'get' him. RT never replied. When it's made personal, I lose respect. The sad thing is that Todd and Tremblay are talented writers, but they aren't the story.

Old
12-22-2006, 08:20 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Stefan, I'm not disputing Todd's mean spirited articles, that's just what he does. I'm wondering if it had already started though. I'm sure he made it worse, but I don't think he lit the match. Frankly, I don't know anyone who has the slightest bit of respect for him.

Stefan, the day Tremblay was fired, and I don't argue that he should've been, I remember hearing him on CKAC while Rejean Tremblay was in studio. Mario outlined how and why it was personal, and pinpointed the day RT said he was going to 'get' him. RT never replied. When it's made personal, I lose respect. The sad thing is that Todd and Tremblay are talented writers, but they aren't the story.

I agree with you!!! That's what I was trying to say, sorry for the confusion! Trembaly and Todd and Bertrand Raymond tagged against Tremblay, you are right!

Old
12-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Pretty funny that nobody on this thread came to say that the fans didn't boo him, and on the contrary applaude him a lot for his fight against Eager.

So easy to be on the crowd's back, less easier to acknowledge their good behavior.....

It would've been easy for a couple of stupid people to boo him even though he had nothing to do with it. But I think they showed lots of respect for his work after his fight and that's great from them.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 10:02 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Pretty funny that nobody on this thread came to say that the fans didn't boo him, and on the contrary applaude him a lot for his fight against Eager.

So easy to be on the crowd's back, less easier to acknowledge their good behavior.....

It would've been easy for a couple of stupid people to boo him even though he had nothing to do with it. But I think they showed lots of respect for his work after his fight and that's great from them.
Absolutely agree...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

I thought they would boo him but they didn't. Although he only played like 5 minutes, so it's tough to get a chance I suppose. He's nothing more than a filler at this point IMO.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Fozz

What's really funny to me is how little Hab fans know Hab fans.
Hab fans are winners, not whiners. Unless they're not winning of course...

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Catch-22

Quote:
And what would be the problem there?

On OTR last Tuesday, Stan Butler (you must like him, a real canadian, coached the Junior Team twice), McGill (played for the Leafs, good ol'western boy, now on the NHL network) PLUS two other guests, ALL said that they would take a canadian player BEFORE a european. The follow-up question was, would you take Crosby or Ovechkin, all of them said Crosby because he was canadian. They did not talk for a second about talent, age, salary or anything else, the general consensus was that you would always go for a canadian, over a euro, because a canadian has the stanley cup tatooed within himself.

With that being said, where is the problem for quebecers (shall i say frogs so you can understand) for wanting another frog on the team IF it is ok for Stan "great canadian" Butler to prefer a canadian over an european?

Double-standard here
The problem there is that decisions premised on language as opposed to financial and team-oriented rationales are a good way to end up back where we were in the late 1990s...in the basement of the league. That is not because French Canadian players are not some of the best in the league. They are. But since we cannot necessarily get the best or right players, we often resort to a compromise, where our level of competition suffers in order to appease the the small but vocal minority of fans who are more interested in politics than the Stanley Cup. Sorry for being self righteous, but that is completely unacceptable. This is a hockey team, not a political organization. It is a hockey team that has to adapt with the times in order to remain competitive, which means acquiring and drafting players based on needs and abilities, not language and nationality. And at the end of the day, a player's language is not any kind of criteria for decision making. The days of winning the Cup with a team that is comprised of 50%-90% Francophones are LOOOOOOONG gone. Nothing anybody says can change that.

I know there are people out there, perhaps even you included, who care more about haveing Quebeckers on the team than winning a cup. After all, you did defend Ribeiro, who will never win a Cup, you probably defended Theodore, and from what I can tell you are still unable to accept the perfectly logical and obvious decision to send Lapierre to Hamilton. But I am just as happy to note that while those people care about politics, the vast majority - by far - care about winning more. Gainey, Carbonneau, Muller, and Koivu and the players...these are athletes and competitores, not political agents. And the fans? The Habs have sold out every game at the Bell centre since the middle of the 2003-2004 season, when Gainey really began to turn this team around. IMO, the position of the politicians can easily be discounted and attributed to a marginal poltical faction, whose goals are not compatible with those of a hockey team.

Those guys on OTR are not better than the pure laine and I do not support them either. It is true that North American players evolve in a different environment and play a different style of hockey, in general than Europeans. But that which is "general" cannot be used as a blanket for all players from any part of the world. In many cases, I do think you can characterize a "North American" style of hockey versus a European one. But there is also, IMO, an NCAA style of hockey, a western style etc. And players from various places may play more like counterparts elsewhere, than from the stereotypical style in their places of origin. There is no mould. But having said all that, I have no problem with decisions based on playing style. Perhaps the regional characterizations of playing styles can seem rather small-minded, but the decision can still be sound. You would do yourself a favour to differentiate between a decision based on playing styles that are simply poorly characterized and decisions based solely on racial/ethnic/linguistic origins.

My argument is that any decision based on language is and should remain irrelevant....for the sake of the players, the coaches, the managers, the owners, the vast majority of the fans and for the sake of maintaining the glory of this team.

BTW, I would take any of Crosby, Ovechkin or Malkin without any thought devoted to where they come from. As long as they contribute to our goal of winning, I could care less.

Last edited by Catch-22: 12-22-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 10:33 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
1 goal + 1 fight tonight.
+1

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Tucker316*

Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
The main point, is this: Murray and Downey are good men.

Tucker316* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
I know there are people out there, perhaps even you included, who care more about haveing Quebeckers on the team than winning a cup. After all, you did defend Ribeiro, who will never win a Cup,
That, you can't confirm nor prove. I did not defend Ribs, I bashed Pleks using the same analysis you used to bashed Ribs.....

Quote:
you probably defended Theodore,
Nope. I did not bash him either.

Quote:
and from what I can tell you are still unable to accept the perfectly logical and obvious decision to send Lapierre to Hamilton.
Where did I say it was unacceptable? Again, you can't seem to read.

Quote:
Those guys on OTR are not better than the pure laine and I do not support them either.
Voila! Read this thread again. It is strange to read "real canadian" bashing the pure laine while they do the samething for a canadian boy...you should have pointed that out in your argument iso putting everyone in the same basket. Also, people on the 110% are called pro-pure-laine while nothing is ever said about panelist on OTR who are all doing the samething.....again, double-standard.

Quote:
My argument is that any decision based on language is and should remain irrelevant....for the sake of the players, the coaches, the managers, the owners, the vast majority of the fans and for the sake of maintaining the glory of this team.
You brought up the issue....assuming that someone that would boo Murray, would be french and would only do that because another french was sent down while the samething could have been done for another player who would have similar stats then Lapierre.....