HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What if we had signed Savard instead of Samsonov

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-21-2006, 10:01 AM
  #1
viasyncro
Registered User
 
viasyncro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 201
vCash: 500
What if we had signed Savard instead of Samsonov

Would the habs be in first place if we hadn't resigned Ribeiro (or traded him for a pick), not signed Samsonov but instead addressed our real need of a center


Ribeiro 1,9$ M (which became 2,47$ M because of Niinimaa)
+
Samsonov 3,5$ M
=

5,97$ M or 5,4$ M if we would have kept Ribeiro

Savard

5$ M


Which would you prefer Niinimaa and Samsonov or Savard?

(Or maybe start drafting good centers like Ryan Getzlaf instead of Andrei Kastsitsyn)

viasyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:04 AM
  #2
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Would've, should've, could've.

What makes you think the Habs we're willing to sign Savard to that deal and that Savard was willing to come to Montreal? Assumptions and hindsight don't get you very far. The standings are what counts in the end, not individual stats.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:05 AM
  #3
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by viasyncro View Post
Would the habs be in first place if we hadn't resigned Ribeiro (or traded him for a pick), not signed Samsonov but instead addressed our real need of a center


Ribeiro 1,9$ M (which became 2,47$ M because of Niinimaa)
+
Samsonov 3,5$ M
=

5,97$ M or 5,4$ M if we would have kept Ribeiro

Savard

5$ M


Which would you prefer Niinimaa and Samsonov or Savard?

(Or maybe start drafting good centers like Ryan Getzlaf instead of Andrei Kastsitsyn)
Do you think that Savard would had like to come & play in Montreal ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:07 AM
  #4
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,537
vCash: 500
RE: What if we had signed Savard instead of Samsonov

What if you go root for Boston instead of Montreal?

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:07 AM
  #5
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Even if Savard wanted to come to Montreal, there were a lot of question marks regarding him last summer.

He's a little guy, had been playing with superstars Kovalchuk and Hossa... The Bruins gambled and offered him big bucks and it has paid off for them.

I'm sure if we had given Savard that kinda money last summer, many people would have been upset.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:07 AM
  #6
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,350
vCash: 500
Savard? Oh man, please, don't make me vomit.

Already I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:08 AM
  #7
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,002
vCash: 500
I'd prefer Grizzly Adams beard Samsonov come playoff time than plucked eyebrow meterosexual Savard. We look a lot tougher.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:09 AM
  #8
kostitsyn1489
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louiseville, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,447
vCash: 500
ok... So where do you trade Ribeiro cause he's not a 3rd line center? And if you dont trade Ribeiro for Niinimaa you need to add Traverse to your payroll. At this point of the season I dont care how many points Samsonov has the most important thing is we're 4th and the Bruins are 12th even if they gave 13M/year to 2 players in off-season.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:14 AM
  #9
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Okay so in theory, had we signed Savard, we'd have the following lined, also assuming the Ribeiro trade went through.

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Latendresse-Savard-Kovalev
P-B-J
Begin-Plekanec-Streit

To the naked eye this is an improvement, but who knows how well Savard would have worked out in Montreal. Savard likes to carry the puck just as much as Kovalev and Samsonov, he's just more of a passer.

__________________
This content is hosted here with the objections of the poster.
coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:14 AM
  #10
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,102
vCash: 500
It was supposed to be shanahan anyways....so.....

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:14 AM
  #11
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Savard? Oh man, please, don't make me vomit.

Already I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.
mini-puke!

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:17 AM
  #12
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Savard? Oh man, please, don't make me vomit.

Already I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.
That's what I thought this summer. But he's the best Bruins player by far this year and bruins fans love him. So I changed my opinon on him.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:19 AM
  #13
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,235
vCash: 500
I'd feel better if we signed Savard for 10 years and not get Sammy the clown. Anyone dreaming he's not a bust in this organization this year is kidding himself and possibly others.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:20 AM
  #14
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
That's what I thought this summer. But he's the best Bruins player by far this year and bruins fans love him. So I changed my opinon on him.
Bergeron is the BEST Bruins player. Savard is barely better than Ribeiro.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:22 AM
  #15
lilooet*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
I can't stand Savard and I distinctly recall some very unclassy behaviour (a la Ribs) on his part about 2 seasons ago. Sure he's got some talent, but so does Samsonov, and I'd say Samsonov is a much harder worker, as crazy as that may sound.

lilooet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:23 AM
  #16
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
Bergeron is the BEST Bruins player. Savard is barely better than Ribeiro.
C'mon.

Savard is their best player without any doubt. Where was Bergeron for the first 10-15 games of the season? Yup, right in the place where sun don't shine.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:24 AM
  #17
Catala
Registered User
 
Catala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Catala
What if we had gotten Savard... Then maybe we could have had troubles in the locker room, the fans could have been crying against him because of no chemistry with Kovalev and Latendresse and instead of our 20 8 5 record, it could have been 8 - 20 - 5.

Now everything is working well in the team, why trying to change that?

Like it or not, everything ended up well because things happened the way they happened...

Catala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:25 AM
  #18
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
C'mon.

Savard is their best player without any doubt. Where was Bergeron for the first 10-15 games of the season? Yup, right in the place where sun don't shine.
Don't look at stats only. Savard was producing and the team was loosing. Since Bergeron is on, the Bruins are substantially better.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:26 AM
  #19
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
Bergeron is the BEST Bruins player. Savard is barely better than Ribeiro.
The first part is debatable. The 2nd...I'll take bruins fans opinion way ahead of yours or mine. http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15
There was also a thread about "your team's mvp" on the nhl forum. Boston fans only nominated Savard. We never came close to nominating Ribs for that.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:30 AM
  #20
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by viasyncro View Post
Would the habs be in first place if we hadn't resigned Ribeiro (or traded him for a pick), not signed Samsonov but instead addressed our real need of a center


Ribeiro 1,9$ M (which became 2,47$ M because of Niinimaa)
+
Samsonov 3,5$ M
=

5,97$ M or 5,4$ M if we would have kept Ribeiro

Savard

5$ M


Which would you prefer Niinimaa and Samsonov or Savard?

(Or maybe start drafting good centers like Ryan Getzlaf instead of Andrei Kastsitsyn)
Can you stop living in the past with your what if, we should have drafted and bla bla bla...The team is going very well and even if we still have more potential, the team is great as it is. And we don't need another 5 million dollar player on the team if he's not a star player...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:36 AM
  #21
baldrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catala View Post
What if we had gotten Savard... Then maybe we could have had troubles in the locker room, the fans could have been crying against him because of no chemistry with Kovalev and Latendresse and instead of our 20 8 5 record, it could have been 8 - 20 - 5.

Now everything is working well in the team, why trying to change that?

Like it or not, everything ended up well because things happened the way they happened...
Whether Savard would have been better is debateable, but implying that Samsonov has contributed to the team's current record is ridiculous.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:51 AM
  #22
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
Whether Savard would have been better is debateable, but implying that Samsonov has contributed to the team's current record is ridiculous.
Samsonov is the worst UFA signing done by Gainey so far. But he did not know that Koivu would have a carrer season; that Latendresse would stay; that Dumont would become available in mid-July; that Higgins would be his star player; etc... + Shanahan decided to go to New-York... He wanted an experienced winger and thought he would be a good fit with Kovalev.

But do you remember that gainey said during a press conference before the season that it would take 30 games for Samsonov to be comfortable with the team ?

Now, we gonna see if Samsonov will answer the call.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:00 AM
  #23
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
Samsonov is the worst UFA signing done by Gainey so far. But he did not know that Koivu would have a carrer season; that Latendresse would stay; that Dumont would become available in mid-July; that Higgins would be his star player; etc... + Shanahan decided to go to New-York... He wanted an experienced winger and thought he would be a good fit with Kovalev.

But do you remember that gainey said during a press conference before the season that it would take 30 games for Samsonov to be comfortable with the team ?

Now, we gonna see if Samsonov will answer the call.
IIRC, he specifically said till after New Year's or after the holiday's, or something along those lines.

I don't know why it was said at the time... I guess he knew Samsonov would have a lot of adjusting to do. But I think it's only fair to wait to make our evaluations until we see how well Samsonov's progress follows what Gainey predicted.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:02 AM
  #24
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,105
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
We never came close to nominating Ribs for that.
Well habitue and Stefan_L might have.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:16 AM
  #25
Quiet Robert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
Would've, should've, could've.

What makes you think the Habs we're willing to sign Savard to that deal and that Savard was willing to come to Montreal? Assumptions and hindsight don't get you very far. The standings are what counts in the end, not individual stats.
/Thread over

Hell Shanahan would've been an even better pickup, but who knows how he would have produced here etc...Samsonov and Kovalev are overpaid guys (based on career production imo) but they are very talented players who are great when they are on.

There's no point in whining about players we didn't get. We have Sammy, hopefully he'll get his 55 points and help the team down the stretch and in the playoffs. We deal with the players we have now and move forward based on that.



(I would have loved to get Shanahan btw)

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.