HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Call up Picard. Please.

Old
12-21-2006, 10:29 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Call up Picard. Please.

Call it an appreciation thread, or whatever you like, but I really think Alex Picard needs to be called up and join this team again as soon as possible.

It is obvious that our intensity level has dropped dramatically since he was returned to the Cuse - starting with the Phoenix game. He would have been great last night, at least laying some hits on people when the game was out of hand - and maybe could have flustered some Wings into taking penalties and giving us PPs.

Obviously, Shelley is the only player who is keeping Picard from a roster spot with the big club, and 0:47 of ice time isn't gonna cut it. Hitch doesn't trust Shelley anymore, as his ice time has dwindled over the past three games, from 8 minutes to 6 minutes to last night's debacle.

I would much rather see a Picard-Manny-Brule line out there, where you don't have to worry about Jody's low skill level and oafish presence.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:35 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
I agree 100%. Picard is a spark plug for this team and has so much more to offer than Shelly. When he's on he has the abilities to be one of the most important players on the ice. Jody could never do that.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Kev22

Good call DJ. Shelley is beyond brutal. It is also becoming obvious that some moves are going to have to be made after the new year just because of the numbers when Berard comes back. I think there will have to be a decision made between Johnson, Tollefson and Eriksson and then also what to do with Picard, Shelley and possibly Malhotra.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:01 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

It also baffles me that we're only carrying 12 healthy forwards, as well. Is this some kind of mandate to trim payroll where at all possible? I don't know why we can't have 13 forwards, with Jody being the healthy scratch most of the time, except in rare instances where his "physical presence" is needed. (Balastik would have been nice for this situation - have no clue why we shipped him out so easily.)

A good sign is that Hitch seems to be realizing Jody's shortcomings and is sending a message to Doug (in subtle terms) to get him somebody on this squad whom he can trust for longer than 47 seconds.

Old
12-21-2006, 11:01 AM
raindog

I'm with you. Picard is a firecracker and one hell of an agitator, which is something this team is in dire need of. Add to that his shear passion for the game, the fire in his belly, and the hit anything that moves mindset, and it's obvious what kind of a spark and edge he gives the guys.

As WV CBJ fan said: Cry Havoc, and loose the Picard!

raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:07 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
It also baffles me that we're only carrying 12 healthy forwards, as well. Is this some kind of mandate to trim payroll where at all possible? I don't know why we can't have 13 forwards, with Jody being the healthy scratch most of the time, except in rare instances where his "physical presence" is needed. (Balastik would have been nice for this situation - have no clue why we shipped him out so easily.)

A good sign is that Hitch seems to be realizing Jody's shortcomings and is sending a message to Doug (in subtle terms) to get him somebody on this squad whom he can trust for longer than 47 seconds.
I think this is for the better. I'd rather have our young guys playing in Syracuse then sitting 150 feet above the ice in the press box.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:14 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Guess what I think is for the better? Having the best players in our system on the ice for the Columbus Blue Jackets every night. Jody isn't one of them.

Old
12-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Guess what I think is for the better? Having the best players in our system on the ice for the Columbus Blue Jackets every night. Jody isn't one of them.
Maybe Pistachio thinks :47 of ice time is fine for Shoddy Jelly (which wouldn't be a surprising thing to think) and prefers Jody get to watch the rest of the game from better seats than thpressbox...namely the bench. C'mon Doug...stop being a resentful little pimple on the *** of the NHL...do your JOB.

Lord y'all, I was bummed that I was (am) stuck in Philly doing horrible work-like stuff and was going to miss the game. whelp, it's a bad game when work turns out to be by far more fun. I don't need to know what happened even... perfectly clear.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Macster

The way I see it is that if Picard were to take the fourth line LW spot, we'd see a lot more of Manny and Brule. Last night Manny and Brule took random shifts all over the place, but if the fourth line was an actual consistent line, then rolling all four would be no prob.

Call him up Doug.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:33 AM
pickledcotton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
Good call DJ. Shelley is beyond brutal. It is also becoming obvious that some moves are going to have to be made after the new year just because of the numbers when Berard comes back. I think there will have to be a decision made between Johnson, Tollefson and Eriksson and then also what to do with Picard, Shelley and possibly Malhotra.
Agreed.

I love Jody Shelley personally - he's one of the nicest guys I've ever met. But with the changing face of the NHL, his role just isn't needed, and he's not adapted to today's climate.

(A side note: when Sugden decided he wanted to go play in the beer league and quit the Crunch, fans were disappointed - but on the ice, we've not missed him yet. I don't care for Sugden's decision, but he was correct in thinking he wasn't contributing to the team.)

I hope Hitch will think long and hard about the guys listed above. Picard is a high draft pick, a prospect and one hell of a hard worker. He reminds me of a colt sometimes - all legs, crashing into everything, looking awkward sometimes but always keeping up with the big boys. SOMEWHERE, Picard needs steady ice time. And with the current state of the Crunch, ESPECIALLY with the horrid coaching, I think it should be in Columbus. No prospect in Syracuse is going to get any sort of guidance from Ross Yates... and judging from all the prospects being benched or sent down or to other countries (Labelle, Dupuis and Wharton, to name a few), Picard isn't going to get a fair shake in Syracuse.

I also really like Erikkson personally, but he needs to sit. Johnson and Tollefsen are the future of the team and Erikkson is a stopgap. Much as it would serve my own interests to see Tollefsen sent down if/when Berard comes back, I don't think it would be right. Tolley's been doing a great job up there and has improved greatly. I think he has the potential to be better than Johnson, though the two are very different players, sharing nothing but a position title.

pickledcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:49 AM
tgerace23

Gortz
Harty
Picard

All players that should be in Shelleys spot. There was a time we needed him. Now hes only good for selling Sweaters.

Also, another thing that bothers me is people always talking about the "FUTURE" of the club. When do we start talking about the present and start going to the playoffs? Why does a player need to develop all year until training camp comes around. Are the 4th liners not seeing as much as ice time in practice as the 1st line people?

Gimme a break, put together a decent 4th line and maybe they wont just be sitting there. All 3 of the players are good enough to pull a decent amount of ice time in our line up, without being a major risk.

tgerace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
I agree. I was talking about 13 forwards. I'd rather have Picard playing in Syracuse then sitting in front of Shelley (which is what would probobly end up happening).

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Nordique

Shelley is a great niche player, but that niche is fading away with the new rules and new style of play. 5 years ago, we'd have a brawl in 3 games out of 4, now its reciprocated to more like 1 game out of 4.

Bring up the youngsters. 5 minutes on the ice + 55 minutes on the bench watching and listening to Vyborny, Fedorov, Foote, Nash, Hitchcock, and others is worth a lot more developmentally than 15 minutes on the ice in the AHL.

I think the only trepidation on Hitchcock's part is that we are already a very young team. You bump Shelley for Picard and we get even younger.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 12:11 PM
3mta3

I don't think adding Picard would make the 4th line get more ice time against Detroit. I think the last two games aren't "the norm".

I think that we need to see a few more games against not-Detroit are like to see what Hitchcock does with his ice time. Does he roll three, sit Jody, give Manny PK time and use Brule to spell guys needing a breather from special teams play? Does he sit anyone assigned to the fourth most nights regardless? Is it a doghouse for people who are underperforming on the practice sheet or in the room?

There is a lot we don't know and I need more info before I chime in. I trust the coach and his record and his actions with players. I'm not second guessing him now, but I am looking at that 4th with unanswered questions.

3mta3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 12:23 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

3-

Let's not get too deep with this here. This is simply a question of "Picard vs. Jody - Would you rather a player play 8:00 for your team and contribute or play a player for :47 and give him a really good seat for the game?"

It's not a question of "I wonder what Hitch has planned for our 4th line" or "Getting more ice time for the 4th line overall vs. Detroit" - it's simply a question of who is the best option at 4th line LW for the Columbus Blue Jackets, going forward. I say that guy is Alex Picard, not Jody Shelley.

Old
12-21-2006, 12:58 PM
cbj21

If Hitch wants Picard on the team over Shelley he will get it. No way is DM superior to the teams coach anymore on who gets to play and who we carry on the rooster. Both of them deside that together now.
And Hitch would not have taken this job without a say on the rooster

Reference: Bill and George said so on the radio

Last edited by cbj21: 12-21-2006 at 01:46 PM.
cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 01:03 PM
3mta3

Quote:
3-

Let's not get too deep with this here. This is simply a question of "Picard vs. Jody - Would you rather a player play 8:00 for your team and contribute or play a player for :47 and give him a really good seat for the game?"

It's not a question of "I wonder what Hitch has planned for our 4th line" or "Getting more ice time for the 4th line overall vs. Detroit" - it's simply a question of who is the best option at 4th line LW for the Columbus Blue Jackets, going forward. I say that guy is Alex Picard, not Jody Shelley.
I think that you are making the assumption that Picard would get more than :47 if called up and that Hitchcock wants him. You have also implied that Hitchcock is "sending a message to Doug" with ice time. There is more out there to take into account when looking at this. I would prefer to see Picard playing over not playing and unless we know he's going to get ice time I don't know that calling anyone up makes that much sense.

I think a deeper conversation is warranted as there are a lot of variables we do not know about our fourth line so "Picard > Shelley" being the only basis for a call up doesn't work for me even though I agree Picard is much better than Shelley.

And sorry for the incredible run-on sentences. I am too tired to even edit them into something you can read without taking a breath.

Old
12-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Mogilny89

Quote:
It also baffles me that we're only carrying 12 healthy forwards, as well. Is this some kind of mandate to trim payroll where at all possible?

I agree as most would. :47 is worthless, we're playing with 11 forwards now. However, I remember reading in the hockey news that there's something like a day-to-day salary cap. I'll try my best to explain my understand of it, and anyone who knows more can hopefully finish my thought...

it's something like each team has their cap of $44 million. that gets divided by 'x' number of days in the regular season, giving each team a sort of "daily salary cap." if you are consistently below that number throughout the season, you will in essence have more to spend later in the year, as that money not spent can be used later, as long as $44 million isn't exceeded. Therefore, if they don't have picard sitting while jody is playing, we have saved picard's daily salary and can use that money later in the season. Perhaps this has something to do with it, but more likely it's just that they are just reluctant to cut the fan favorite. Not to mention they signed him to a 2 year deal (which no one can explain). Anyway, anyone have any more insight on this daily salary cap?

Mogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 01:07 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mta3 View Post
I think that you are making the assumption that Picard would get more than :47 if called up and that Hitchcock wants him. You have also implied that Hitchcock is "sending a message to Doug" with ice time. There is more out there to take into account when looking at this. I would prefer to see Picard playing over not playing and unless we know he's going to get ice time I don't know that calling anyone up makes that much sense.

I think a deeper conversation is warranted as there are a lot of variables we do not know about our fourth line so "Picard > Shelley" being the only basis for a call up doesn't work for me even though I agree Picard is much better than Shelley.
Yeah, I would be so bold as to say Picard would play more than :47 if he were here. I don't think many would disagree with me. Hitch has obviously lost confidence in Jody, considering the other two players on Jody's line were in the 8 - 10 minute range. You can't see that Jody is the odd man out in this situation?

Old
12-21-2006, 01:09 PM
CBJSlash

I do think Shelley prohibits us from rolling 4 lines consistently. This wears down some players while over using others.

My thought is, exactly what type of game is Shelley going to play in?

We don't play him when it is close
We don't play him when we are behind
We don't play him when we are ahead
We don't play him when it is not physical
We don't play him when it is against a team with a lot of speed.

We do play him when we are kind of aheadish behind when it is physical against a team without a lot of speed.

We don't use him for casual goonery (ie taking runs, sitting tones in games out of reach).

However he has been placed in Hitchcock's leadership group and he is adored by fans whether he plays or not. If you thought removing Gallant was hard (similarly useless), how in the world are we going to remove a guy the fans actually like?

The answer is we won't. Shells will not be moved until he is seriously injured. He won't be seriously injured with 47 seconds of ice time. So essentially he will be here for a while.

13th forwards and scratching Shells is the best solution but can someone please tell me the last time Jody was a HEALTHY scratch.

Ideally with Tollefson we could pick up another middleweight scrapper and be okay, but I don't think that will happen.

CBJSlash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 01:10 PM
EspoWorld

Without a doubt, Picard would be of more use to Jackets than Shelley.

But I'm torn on this one, I think Picard needs to play, and play a lot, if he's going to develop. Right now, he's a long way away. He can skate and hit, but the stick's a total mystery to him.

I guess I would give the nod to Hartigan to take Shelley's place. Here's a guy who can chip in with some goals, which were not getting from that line. And development really isn't a question with him. He's done all he can do in the A.

EspoWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
I do think Shelley prohibits us from rolling 4 lines consistently. This wears down some players while over using others.

My thought is, exactly what type of game is Shelley going to play in?

We don't play him when it is close
We don't play him when we are behind
We don't play him when we are ahead
We don't play him when it is not physical
We don't play him when it is against a team with a lot of speed.

We do play him when we are kind of aheadish behind when it is physical against a team without a lot of speed.

We don't use him for casual goonery (ie taking runs, sitting tones in games out of reach).

However he has been placed in Hitchcock's leadership group and he is adored by fans whether he plays or not. If you thought removing Gallant was hard (similarly useless), how in the world are we going to remove a guy the fans actually like?

The answer is we won't. Shells will not be moved until he is seriously injured. He won't be seriously injured with 47 seconds of ice time. So essentially he will be here for a while.

13th forwards and scratching Shells is the best solution but can someone please tell me the last time Jody was a HEALTHY scratch.

Ideally with Tollefson we could pick up another middleweight scrapper and be okay, but I don't think that will happen.
I don't remember a Jelly scratch this season.

I was a Shelley holdout ... but honestly I thought we'd have seen many Shelley scratches by now. Inexplicable.

This situation is getting to the point where it needs to be repeatedly addressed/asked of Hitch, Doug, Rimer...whoever is around on the air. Seriously, it's craziness.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 01:23 PM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
I don't remember a Jelly scratch this season.

I was a Shelley holdout ... but honestly I thought we'd have seen many Shelley scratches by now. Inexplicable.

This situation is getting to the point where it needs to be repeatedly addressed/asked of Hitch, Doug, Rimer...whoever is around on the air. Seriously, it's craziness.
He was scratched with a finger injury for a couple games. That's the only time I can remember.

We could have at least scratched him last night and let him go out to a fine Detroit restaurant and have a nice dinner.

CBJSlash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 01:26 PM
3mta3

Quote:
Yeah, I would be so bold as to say Picard would play more than :47 if he were here. I don't think many would disagree with me. Hitch has obviously lost confidence in Jody, considering the other two players on Jody's line were in the 8 - 10 minute range. You can't see that Jody is the odd man out in this situation?
I didn't say he wasn't the odd man out and putting words in my mouth doesn't help things along at all (but it sure makes for spirited debates!).

Not everyone on every team on ever line plays the same number of minutes. PK, PP, 4 on 4, different styles, offensive zone faceoffs, defensive zone faceoffs, work in practice, lousy attitudes, boning members of the coaching staff's immediate family - all those (and more) determine who gets what ice time. I don't see any assurances that replacing Shelley = 8 mins for the whole fourth line. I'm so bold to say that I trust the coach in what he's doing and that if he needs something he can deal with it. I don't think we lost 5-0 because we didn't have Picard.

Old
12-21-2006, 01:34 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mta3 View Post
I didn't say he wasn't the odd man out and putting words in my mouth doesn't help things along at all (but it sure makes for spirited debates!).
I didn't say you said Jody was the odd man out. *I* said Jody was the odd man out on the line and asked why you couldn't see that. So, I guess I was putting words in my own mouth, er, something like that.