HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Call up Picard. Please.

Old
12-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Pluckfur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
He was scratched with a finger injury for a couple games. That's the only time I can remember.

We could have at least scratched him last night and let him go out to a fine Detroit restaurant and have a nice dinner.
yeah, sorry I forgot to type the "healthy" with my scratch.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Pluckfur

You know what's sad is... not a single fan that i've heard from didn't thoroughly enjoy Picard on that western road swing...dang, he's just fun! an kitten on catnip in the corners...pouncing on opposing mice and batting them about for fun and profit! surely, if given a chance to enjoy Picard...even Jody fans would come around? and seriously, we CAN win games now...it's not like Jody is the only "good" thing happening on the ice anymore. heck, he's not even on the ice anymore...

:sigh:

Old
12-21-2006, 01:42 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
You know what's sad is... not a single fan that i've heard from didn't thoroughly enjoy Picard on that western road swing...dang, he's just fun! an kitten on catnip in the corners...pouncing on opposing mice and batting them about for fun and profit! surely, if given a chance to enjoy Picard...even Jody fans would come around? and seriously, we CAN win games now...it's not like Jody is the only "good" thing happening on the ice anymore. heck, he's not even on the ice anymore...

:sigh:
I'm sayin'! Thanks for putting it in entertaining and easy-to-understand prose. I'll be in a bit of a spiked eggnog haze for the next couple of weeks, so I apologize for any future murky posts.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Handyy

So... This was not a Picard appreciation thread after all, it's the "Scratch Shelley" thread

I don't think Hitch has lost his trust for Shelley, I mean why else would he dress him? Against 2x Detroit total of 4 mins of play but the Wings are last on the fighting majors stat, only 6 this season. Also Detroit is not a team which would shatter because of the physical play by the opponent, be it Shelley or Picard. So no doubt Shelley will get more ice time much more in the next games.

While I don't see Shelley getting much done lately, I doubt that Picard would be any different. Picard, in his 7 games got 0+0, about the same TOI than Shelley, and also equal amount of hits. Last 4 games total of 0 shots.

So, how is he more useful than Shelley? Jackets have got the chance to play him in Crunch, while they can't do the same for Jody. It's only obvious that they use this card and get him 1st-2nd line TOI's in AHL and if he performs, he'll get his time in Jackets later on this this season or in 07-08 . While he could get more ice time than 0:47 in Jackets, still he wouldn't be in the role you would want him to be. And it would hurt him and honestly, with that role I don't see him doing anything else than what he's done in his games up.

But anyway, I'd rather see Hartigan instead of Picard if someone needs to be promoted anyways.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 01:45 PM
tgerace23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
He was scratched with a finger injury for a couple games. That's the only time I can remember.

We could have at least scratched him last night and let him go out to a fine Detroit restaurant and have a nice dinner.
He was scratched one game during the GG time. Because we were playing a fast team I remember. I cant remember the game though. I want to say Picard or Brule took his place that game.

tgerace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 01:49 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
I don't think Hitch has lost his trust for Shelley, I mean why else would he dress him?
Because Doug has handed him 12 healthy forwards to work with - there's nobody else to put there in his place.

Old
12-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Nordique

Removing Shelley would be hard, but so was removing Tyler Wright(who by the way would be great on that 4th line).

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 02:06 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
So... This was not a Picard appreciation thread after all, it's the "Scratch Shelley" thread

But anyway, I'd rather see Hartigan instead of Picard if someone needs to be promoted anyways.

I'd rather see the Fat Dancer play than Hartigan! Can't stand the guy. If Hitch thinks Picard is more useful than Shelley, that's fine by me; but no Hartigan, please!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Pluckfur

I'm going to ask again: Who is responsible for call ups from the Crunch? I don't particularly care what the answer is...I just want to know who is rightfully held accountable here. Ask Hitch/Doug/Rimer ... ask often as it takes until we get an answer

Old
12-21-2006, 02:22 PM
Grouchy

Send a message via Yahoo to Grouchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Removing Shelley would be hard, but so was removing Tyler Wright(who by the way would be great on that 4th line).
With Wright it was kinda out of the blue; wham we want Fedorov. With Shelley there has been debate for quite a while now and even Jody himself probably knows that his role in the NHL is dwindling and if he cannot provide something on ice then someone who can will be replacing him.

It'll be hard getting rid of the man but not the position.

Grouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
I'm going to ask again: Who is responsible for call ups from the Crunch? I don't particularly care what the answer is...I just want to know who is rightfully held accountable here. Ask Hitch/Doug/Rimer ... ask often as it takes until we get an answer
Hard to say if it's one person or a few. It's probably Doug, but who knows for sure. I would imagine Hitch would be in charge of scratches, etc. If that's the case and Shelley was really as bad as people here seem to think, I'd imagine he'd scratch him and skate defenseman in his place to send a message to Doug.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Because Doug has handed him 12 healthy forwards to work with - there's nobody else to put there in his place.
But there were healthy scratches while the long road trip, right?

Old
12-21-2006, 02:38 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Quote:
But there were healthy scratches while the long road trip, right?
Don't believe so, Zherdev and Modin were both hurt during the trip at various points, so there weren't really any extras.

Old
12-21-2006, 02:41 PM
tgerace23

Quote:
Technically its the role of the GM. But if the coach says he wants a player up for this game. I seriously doubt hes going to get denied. Unless its something like im going to sit Nash and player Picard against Detroit or something like that. Its the GMs call but its a joint decision.

Old
12-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
Hard to say if it's one person or a few. It's probably Doug, but who knows for sure. I would imagine Hitch would be in charge of scratches, etc. If that's the case and Shelley was really as bad as people here seem to think, I'd imagine he'd scratch him and skate defenseman in his place to send a message to Doug.
It's not that people think Jody is "bad" so much...as not effective and not filling any constructive role in certain games like the last two against Detroit. I mean, :47 of ice time is :47 of ice time. It's unfortunate that a "scratch" a body and play a Dman to send a message to Doug that may or may not be "heard" ... yikes... That's not a very efficient way to run a team. I hate thinking that it's gotten to the point where we have to scratch a guy in order to play another guy in a role other than the one he's trained to play is where we are now when it comes to managing the needs of this team/roster. ooh, i don't like that at all... not good.

Old
12-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Matt

I am not for calling up Picard. He is just as effective as Shelley. If anyone should be called up it is Platt. He is one of the few that is producing

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 04:41 PM
tgerace23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I am not for calling up Picard. He is just as effective as Shelley. If anyone should be called up it is Platt. He is one of the few that is producing
Platt doesnt fit in the whole checking line role very well because he is so small. But I really do like watching Platt play.

Old
12-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Matt

I don't think Hitch is a "4th line checks "coach. He wants all lines to work both ends of the rink. Offensively, Picard is the same as Shelley. ZIP, Zero, Nada

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 05:08 PM
raindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I don't think Hitch is a "4th line checks "coach. He wants all lines to work both ends of the rink. Offensively, Picard is the same as Shelley. ZIP, Zero, Nada
Same as Platt. 3 games this year, no points. Picard has a number of intangibles that Platt does not. He agitates the oppostition, and adds spark to our Team.

I have nothing against Platt, but I think most of us are in favor of bringing up Picard not because he's lighting up the scoreboard, but because of everything else he brings.

raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 07:45 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

It's amazing how many people in this thread know more than Ken Hitchcock, the same coach whom they have elsewhere feted as our savior.

Hitch sent Picard down. Hitch can call him up.
Hitch plays Shelley.
When Hitch decides it's time to sit Shelley down, or cut him loose, then it's time and you won't hear me whining about it (this from a Shelley supporter).

In the meantime, Trust Hitch.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 08:10 PM
Handyy

That's what I thought as well. That Hitch tells which players he wants, not Doug. Doug is just the person who arranges the movement.

Old
12-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Renion

Hitch did this. Doug did that.

Unless someone here has some inside information, we have no idea how the current call-ups and so forth are handled. We know how things often are, but that is not how they certainly are right now.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Casework

Let me pose this question:

What will put more butts in the seats...

A winning team WITHOUT Shelley?

Or a losing team WITH Shelley?

Not that Jody Shelley is the reason the team loses, by any means, but the roster would be much more complete without him in today's NHL.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:32 AM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
That's sad that someone like Picard has to be the quintessential intensity driver for this team.

But yes, all things considered... call up Picard and have him stay

futurcorerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
With respect DJ.....and that is sincere. Do you really think benching Shelley and bringing up Picard is going to change the fact that we are giving up over four goals a night and losing games as a result.....

Shelley playing or not playing is not our current problem.....and bringing up Picard is not even close to being the solution..... A simple fix will not fix the fact that 20 guys are simply not getting it done.

Play GD Shelley for no other reason than to show the golden boys that a blue collar guy has to work for his pay..... just my .02 but before blaming Shelley look at the Malhotra's and Co. bleeding all over the ice first......

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote