HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Call up Picard. Please.

Old
12-22-2006, 06:08 AM
Handyy

vCash: 500
On another note, I don't think 4th lines are nearly as important as they were years ago. Two reasons for it. First, increased special teams play like we all know. Second, very long commercial breaks. Coaches know when those are coming, and use it to cycle top lines more. That's why you don't really need the 4th line to be in the same combination all the time, it doesn't break up the team when there is one or two role players. It might even help to have one or two guys who know their limited role - Put Picard in that role and he only gets frustrated because he wants to play 15 minutes every game. And you can't do that while playing in 4th line.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 07:05 AM
DJAnimosity
ghosts 'n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
With respect DJ.....and that is sincere. Do you really think benching Shelley and bringing up Picard is going to change the fact that we are giving up over four goals a night and losing games as a result......
Robert, you've completely missed the point - I'm not saying Picard would have changed our fortunes in the Detroit game. ALL I'm saying - ALLLLLLL I'm saying is that we can't be handcuffed as a team by having a guy on our squad who we only trust to be out on the ice for 47 SECONDS. Think about that! One shift! In an entire game!

I don't view Picard as a difference maker. I don't view Picard as the Messiah. I don't view Picard as the Great Sphinx. I see him as a better hockey player than Jody Shelley and wish he was on the team. THAT'S IT!! I don't "not trust Hitchcock". I don't "not trust Doug". I don't "not trust the Dancing Fat Guy". I simply like Picard. Nothing more. Nothing less.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 07:26 AM
Grouchy

Send a message via Yahoo to Grouchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
I don't view Picard as a difference maker. I don't view Picard as the Messiah. I don't view Picard as the Great Sphinx. I see him as a better hockey player than Jody Shelley and wish he was on the team. THAT'S IT!! I don't "not trust Hitchcock". I don't "not trust Doug". I don't "not trust the Dancing Fat Guy". I simply like Picard. Nothing more. Nothing less.
I dunno, sounds like someone with something to hide...

Shelly has a two-year contract with the CBJ and we just can't send him to Syracuse without waiving him, correct? And if we do waive him then anybody can theoretically pick him up (why? I dunno). Otherwise Shelly would be a consistent healthy scratch until we needed him against a goon team. Then again, the longer he sits as a healthy scratch the more of a liability he is when we do need him due to rink rust, not playing, limited skills eroding, right?

Another idea would be packaging Shelly with another player in a trade to get another team's payroll burden; a la the Fedorov trade. We would subtract Shelly and another player above him and replace the one player with the traded player and fill the 4th line spot with Picard or someone else to come up and prove their mustard...

The common thread in all of this is that Shelly is becoming more of an overall team liability than asset at this point.

Grouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 07:43 AM
falcor

hmmm. yes. we need picard. i think he is a difference maker and hell, for all i know he could be the messiah *checks roster info* nope.. his birthday is all wrong for that, but.. walk on water, skate on ice, bash someone silly into the boards.. all the same to this team.

falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 07:48 AM
DJAnimosity
ghosts 'n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
I dunno, sounds like someone with something to hide...
You got me! I am actually Alex Picard.

Old
12-22-2006, 07:55 AM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
Shelly has a two-year contract with the CBJ and we just can't send him to Syracuse without waiving him, correct?
Shelley doesn't have a two-way contract, he can't be sent down to Syracuse. If Hitchcock would want him out, Jackets would have to buy out his contract.

Old
12-22-2006, 07:56 AM
falcor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I'd rather see the Fat Dancer play than Hartigan! Can't stand the guy. If Hitch thinks Picard is more useful than Shelley, that's fine by me; but no Hartigan, please!
you took the words right outta my mouth..um.. hands.. well..i agree anyways!

Old
12-22-2006, 08:01 AM
DJAnimosity
ghosts 'n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
Shelley doesn't have a two-way contract, he can't be sent down to Syracuse. If Hitchcock would want him out, Jackets would have to buy out his contract.
Two-way contracts have nothing to do with being able to be sent down. They have to do with different levels of pay at each level. (For instance, a guy like Hartigan, who is on a two-way contract, makes around $500,000 when he plays for the Jackets, and around $100,000 when he plays for Syracuse.)

Jody could most certainly be sent down to Syracuse, but since he has a "one-way" contract, we would still be paying his NHL salary while he played for Syracuse. It's the same thing with guys who have been waived around the NHL this season (Petr Nedved, John Leclair, Alex Mogilny, etc.) - they are playing in the AHL, but are still being paid NHL salaries, because they're not on two-way contracts.

Old
12-22-2006, 08:05 AM
falcor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
It's amazing how many people in this thread know more than Ken Hitchcock, the same coach whom they have elsewhere feted as our savior.

Hitch sent Picard down. Hitch can call him up.
Hitch plays Shelley.
When Hitch decides it's time to sit Shelley down, or cut him loose, then it's time and you won't hear me whining about it (this from a Shelley supporter).

In the meantime, Trust Hitch.
um.. it's amazing how many people in this thread 'think' that some people know more than hitch. i know all i'm saying is that i enjoyed watching picard play. sure, he hasn't scored any goals, but at least he can hit the body he has lined up in his sights. he set the tone of at least one game by his .. wait for it.. 'gritty' play. you could say that shelley has done the same by fighting, but omg.. when was the last time he fought? i can't even remember. now is there a reason for shelley to have played under a minute? think about that one.. mull it over for a bit.

cuz here is my problem with that. k?

if we cannot roll 4 lines~meaning we roll 3 and use the other 3 players as fill ins when someone gets tired, then see? the other lines get tired...then you throw in a replacement player and the chemistry on that line gets all ****ered up. that is why you have 4 lines. and if this is how hitch wants to roll his lines.. fine. but if you sit shelley, then you are only working with 2 spare parts, not 3.

you can say that detroit is a good team.. that we just lost to a good team, but can you tell me why we were winning (i mean playing a completely different type of game) without modin and zherdev and we are struggling now that they are back? is it because modin and zherdev suck or is it because we miss picard's presence?

i'm not hitch, nor do i want his job, nor am i calling for his head. i simply enjoy the game that picard plays and i think it helps our team win more than him not playing at all. i don't give a damn who's spot he takes.. just call him up.

Old
12-22-2006, 08:17 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:
With respect DJ.....and that is sincere. Do you really think benching Shelley and bringing up Picard is going to change the fact that we are giving up over four goals a night and losing games as a result.....

Shelley playing or not playing is not our current problem.....and bringing up Picard is not even close to being the solution..... A simple fix will not fix the fact that 20 guys are simply not getting it done.

Play GD Shelley for no other reason than to show the golden boys that a blue collar guy has to work for his pay..... just my .02 but before blaming Shelley look at the Malhotra's and Co. bleeding all over the ice first......
Robert are you already back to doom and gloom after one bad loss?

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 08:20 AM
DJAnimosity
ghosts 'n stuff

For the doom and gloomers - the Detroit loss meant nothing, NOTHING in the grand scheme of things. We are still 9 points behind the 8th spot. We are still capable of passing LA in the standings with a win tonight. We are still capable of drawing to within 4 points of Chicago with a win tonight.

Old
12-22-2006, 08:21 AM
falcor

we play tonight? where's the gdt??? slackers!

Old
12-22-2006, 08:24 AM
raindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcor View Post
um.. it's amazing how many people in this thread 'think' that some people know more than hitch. i know all i'm saying is that i enjoyed watching picard play. sure, he hasn't scored any goals, but at least he can hit the body he has lined up in his sights. he set the tone of at least one game by his .. wait for it.. 'gritty' play. you could say that shelley has done the same by fighting, but omg.. when was the last time he fought? i can't even remember. now is there a reason for shelley to have played under a minute? think about that one.. mull it over for a bit.

cuz here is my problem with that. k?

if we cannot roll 4 lines~meaning we roll 3 and use the other 3 players as fill ins when someone gets tired, then see? the other lines get tired...then you throw in a replacement player and the chemistry on that line gets all ****ered up. that is why you have 4 lines. and if this is how hitch wants to roll his lines.. fine. but if you sit shelley, then you are only working with 2 spare parts, not 3.

you can say that detroit is a good team.. that we just lost to a good team, but can you tell me why we were winning (i mean playing a completely different type of game) without modin and zherdev and we are struggling now that they are back? is it because modin and zherdev suck or is it because we miss picard's presence?

i'm not hitch, nor do i want his job, nor am i calling for his head. i simply enjoy the game that picard plays and i think it helps our team win more than him not playing at all. i don't give a damn who's spot he takes.. just call him up.
falcor: this is a Picard-esque body-check of a post!

raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 08:36 AM
falcor

picard-malhotra-brule.

these are the lines i'd ice. ice time would vary depending on play.

Old
12-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Handyy

Quote:
Two-way contracts have nothing to do with being able to be sent down. They have to do with different levels of pay at each level. (For instance, a guy like Hartigan, who is on a two-way contract, makes around $500,000 when he plays for the Jackets, and around $100,000 when he plays for Syracuse.)
Thanks for clearing that out, I had wrong info about that one

Old
12-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
Thanks for clearing that out, I had wrong info about that one
Yes, good stuff, I didn't understand how that worked either.

Picard isn't going to make a difference in a 4-0 loss, but the point is that the roster should be optimized for the best long term results. It currently is not, in my opinion.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Robert are you already back to doom and gloom after one bad loss?

Not actually.....but when reviewing the past four games I see some old habits starting to emerge.....the Detroit performance was just one point of a trend, saying "one game" is a tad minimizing......

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 11:52 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
With respect DJ.....and that is sincere. Do you really think benching Shelley and bringing up Picard is going to change the fact that we are giving up over four goals a night and losing games as a result.....

Shelley playing or not playing is not our current problem.....and bringing up Picard is not even close to being the solution..... A simple fix will not fix the fact that 20 guys are simply not getting it done.

Play GD Shelley for no other reason than to show the golden boys that a blue collar guy has to work for his pay..... just my .02 but before blaming Shelley look at the Malhotra's and Co. bleeding all over the ice first......
I think the boys are being a little rough on you Robert. I like this post of yours very much.

This team's situation has nothing to do with Shelley or Picard. Picard's day is coming, just as sure as Shelley's day is soon over.

The tendency of some fans to want to rush the young guys onto the ice is usually met with the stark reality that they aren't ready. And there have been plenty of examples of such reality on our team. I haven't seen Picard play "well enough" to push a veteran off the roster. And apparently neither have Hitch or Doug, since had Picard played well enough, they would have kept him up.

"In Hitch I Trust"

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
I think the boys are being a little rough on you Robert. I like this post of yours very much.

This team's situation has nothing to do with Shelley or Picard. Picard's day is coming, just as sure as Shelley's day is soon over.

The tendency of some fans to want to rush the young guys onto the ice is usually met with the stark reality that they aren't ready. And there have been plenty of examples of such reality on our team. I haven't seen Picard play "well enough" to push a veteran off the roster. And apparently neither have Hitch or Doug, since had Picard played well enough, they would have kept him up.

"In Hitch I Trust"
I agree, although 45 seconds of ice time must be anaylzed.... It makes no sense to have a player on the bench that never plays but there may have been reasons in that Detroit disaster....

As you, I trust Hitchcock..... if he thinks Shelley is more important to the team than Picard then so be it.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
I agree, although 45 seconds of ice time must be anaylzed.... It makes no sense to have a player on the bench that never plays but there may have been reasons in that Detroit disaster....

As you, I trust Hitchcock..... if he thinks Shelley is more important to the team than Picard then so be it.
Weird. As a long-time Jody-basher (even when unwarranted) and an avid Picard-backer (even when unwarranted), I am pretty willing to cede this one to Hitch as well.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:16 PM
213 Sentinel

Quote:
How soon do you think that day is coming? I ask because I believe somebody somewhere guaranteed Shelley would be able to retire with a pension. (Bear with me, because this is going to look like I'm a conspiracy theorist). I think he's going to be around until he's been in his 400th NHL game, or whatever the number is now you need to qualify for a pension.

213 Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:18 PM
tgerace23

Thats still a full season... Hes at 306 right now.

tgerace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:23 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Just bought a new

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
You heard it here first...

Picard gets traded draft day as Maclean tries to move into the top 5 of the draft.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:24 PM
DJAnimosity
ghosts 'n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio View Post
You heard it here first...

Picard gets traded draft day as Maclean tries to move into the top 5 of the draft.
Can we start a vCash pool for this?

Old
12-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Just bought a new

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Can we start a vCash pool for this?