HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Call up Picard. Please.

Old
12-22-2006, 12:26 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio View Post
Too long term
Right. Anyway, why on earth would Doug want to move into the top 5 of this horrific draft? I'll take 3 first round picks, or a star player in a trade to make a splash at this draft - but moving into the top 5 does us no good.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Right. Anyway, why on earth would Doug want to move into the top 5 of this horrific draft? I'll take 3 first round picks, or a star player in a trade to make a splash at this draft - but moving into the top 5 does us no good.
Where is the draft?

Sure,Maclean's taken a few steps out of the limelight recently, but his ego is still large enough to warrent him trying to make a big splash at "his" draft.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:28 PM
213 Sentinel

Who do we want/need badly in the top 5 of this year's draft to give up a first-rounder?

213 Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 213 Sentinel View Post
How soon do you think that day is coming? I ask because I believe somebody somewhere guaranteed Shelley would be able to retire with a pension. (Bear with me, because this is going to look like I'm a conspiracy theorist). I think he's going to be around until he's been in his 400th NHL game, or whatever the number is now you need to qualify for a pension.
Not scoring and getting 3 or 4 minutes a game would make any NHL fan wonder why he is still around......even me for that matter. But four years ago I said he would be the last original Blue Jacket to go....I still believe that.....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:33 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio View Post
Where is the draft?

Sure,Maclean's taken a few steps out of the limelight recently, but his ego is still large enough to warrent him trying to make a big splash at "his" draft.
Yeah, make a big splash by trading for, say, Scott Gomez. But we have no reason to trade Picard for a shot at a top 5 player in this particular draft.

I see a "Patrick O'Sullivan for Pavol Demitra" - esque trade going down for the CBJ at the draft.

Old
12-22-2006, 12:43 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Yeah, make a big splash by trading for, say, Scott Gomez. But we have no reason to trade Picard for a shot at a top 5 player in this particular draft.

I see a "Patrick O'Sullivan for Pavol Demitra" - esque trade going down for the CBJ at the draft.

Agreed..this looks like the kind of draft where teams will be willing to trade out of the top 5 rather than up in it. Seems to be a total crapshoot.

That said I'm sure MacLean will do something on draft day...He could trade up...could trade down..could pick up and extra 1st..trade for vets... He'll keep it entertaining for the home crowd..

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Macster

Quote:
Whoah whoah whoah!

Horrific?

I know that there isn't a superstar like a Crosby or Ovechkin in this draft, but there are a lot of high end prospects available. This will be the kind of draft where a team will be able to choose a player who fills a role, moreso than a BPA type player.

For example, lets look at the bottom five teams, as of right now.

1) Philadelphia
2) Phoenix
3) St.Louis
4) Columbus
5) Los Angeles

Philly is a team that could use a big time scoring centre. They've got some good young centres like Carter (who I think will be a winger long term), Richards (checking centre), Downie (who i think will play the wing when he gets to the NHL, but if he plays centre he will max out as a number two guy). There is talk of Gagne being moved, but if stays he'll need somebody to get him and future Philly winger Giroux the puck. Logan Couture would be the perfect fit IMO. A lot of people probably don't think that Couture would go as high as first, but at this draft that could happen.

Pheonix is a team that could also use a centre. They got Mueller last year, and I think they will take another one this year. I think Espo is a perfect fit for this team, because his skill set compliments Mueller's. Great one-two combo for the Dogs down the road.

St.Louis could use prospects anywhere. However, i think with the pick of EJ last year, it seems like they are building from the back end out, which makes tons of sense. That's why i think they'll go after the best D-man IMO, Karl Alzner. He would make a GREAT partner for EJ in the future.

Columbus. Everybody wants a defenseman. If there were some EJ or Jack Johnson type d-men available, I'd say to go after one. However, the kind of d-man everybody wants the Jackets to draft doesn't exist in this draft. With AJ, Tollefsen, Hainsey, Klesla, Russell, and tons of potential from Methot, McQuaid and Wright, the Jackets are in good shape. I think it's in the Jackets' best interest to nab Voracek. Like i've said before, he reminds me of Hossa. Picard and Fritsche look to be fixtures on the third line down the road, leaving Nash, Zherdev, and hopefully Pineault on the wing, and Brule and Brassard at centre. Nash is a goal scoring power forward. Z is a wizard with the puck, and to add a big two way puck possession playmaking/goal scoring RW like Voracek would make the Jackets an offensive dyanamo.

The Kings have a bunch of good young forwards, but I think they could use another centre, Backlund comes to mind, or high scoring winger Sam Gagner.

This will be a good draft, lots of good players, no franchise guys, but some excellent top six and depth guys.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 02:53 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Whoah whoah whoah!

Horrific?
Sorry, I meant "horrific" in terms of top-end talent. I know it's a deep draft, which is why I'm all for acquiring multiple picks. I was simply talking about how the top 5 contains no bonafide superstar.

Old
12-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Macster

Quote:
Sorry, I meant "horrific" in terms of top-end talent. I know it's a deep draft, which is why I'm all for acquiring multiple picks. I was simply talking about how the top 5 contains no bonafide superstar.
Haha yeah i know buddy.

I just wanted to see the top 5 scenario for myself as well.

If we get Voracek or Gagner, i'll be ecstatic. Voracek is the real deal man. Cross your fingers.

Old
12-22-2006, 03:02 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

We're talking about the draft already.
Hoo! Let me collect myself for a moment....

*copies from last year's draft posts*
"Screw the draft. We need better players now! -not prospects. If we don't make the playoffs soon...."

There, now I feel better.

Picard and ___________ (guy who sucks this season) traded as soon as we are out of the playoff picture. Vbook it, Danno.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 03:02 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Quote:
If we get Voracek or Gagner, i'll be ecstatic. Voracek is the real deal man. Cross your fingers.
I'm with you on Voracek, I would love to get him. We need to add another member to the Czech Mafia, since Balastik and Spacek are gone...

Old
12-22-2006, 03:05 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Picard and ___________ (guy who sucks this season) traded as soon as we are out of the playoff picture. Vbook it, Danno.
Exactly one person in this thread has advocated trading Picard and was admonished for suggesting it. Where's the controversy?

Old
12-22-2006, 03:21 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Exactly one person in this thread has advocated trading Picard and was admonished for suggesting it. Where's the controversy?

Controversy? I didn't suggest there was one.
I was just bouncing off Pistachio's trade prediction.

Picard has a big UP side cause he's young, so he's trade bait if they decide they need Dmen or a veteran forward. I know some of you guys don't like trading away the young talent, but as many others once reminded me about Nash, "no one is above being traded."

Old
12-22-2006, 03:27 PM
Macster

Quote:

Picard has a big UP side cause he's young, so he's trade bait if they decide they need Dmen or a veteran forward. I know some of you guys don't like trading away the young talent, but as many others once reminded me about Nash, "no one is above being traded."
I'm hoping that if prospects are traded then its guys like Lindstrom, or Pineault. I don't see Lindstrom making the top six in Columbus long term, and Pineault has value. He'd have more value if he actually played, but thats a different story....

Like i've said a bazillion times, the kind of game Pic plays is hard to come by. We need to hang on to this guy.

Old
12-22-2006, 03:30 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Quote:
Your post seemed to imply that there will be a large and predictable groundswell of support for the trading of Picard this season. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Old
12-22-2006, 03:35 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
I'm hoping that if prospects are traded then its guys like Lindstrom, or Pineault. I don't see Lindstrom making the top six in Columbus long term, and Pineault has value. He'd have more value if he actually played, but thats a different story....

Like i've said a bazillion times, the kind of game Pic plays is hard to come by. We need to hang on to this guy.
Agree totally on both account Mac...Picard is not a guy you want to trade away. If we move anybody it will most likely be the 2nd tier of prospects like you suggest.

Also -- no point at all trading away young blue chip talent for veterans now that the UFA age is so low and all you have to give up is money to get them. There are exceptions to that rule, like Pronger who had a nice affordable long term contract or JJ who didn't want to sign, but for the most part you just aren't gonna see it. It just doesn't make sense in a cap system or a team like ours where we have a tight budget and need those high impact low cost type young players mixed in with higher cost vets to be competitive.

Old
12-22-2006, 03:37 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:

I'd like to believe you Mike, really.
I've seen him play quite a bit in the NHL, as have many of us.
When does his "kind of game" show up? It's still not apparent to me. I hope he proves me wrong. (I'm still waiting for this to happen for Zherdev too)

The paper said Hitch has a nose for this kind of prospective talent.
So let's see what Hitch does.

Old
12-22-2006, 03:41 PM
raindog

Quote:
When does his "kind of game" show up? It's still not apparent to me. I hope he proves me wrong. (I'm still waiting for this to happen for Zherdev too)

Wow, Jf...seems like we'll have plenty to argue about tonight

raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Macster

Quote:

When he was playing in the Q, he scored a ton of points. A lot was because he played in an offensive league, but also he played a game that coaches had a tough time matching up against. He does a lot of things that don't show up on the stat sheet, like hit everybody, make his own space on the ice, and he goes 100% every night. I wish there was a stat for effort, because Pic would be right up there.

In terms of putting up points, he needs a good centreman. He has yet to consistently play with one at the NHL level. Likewise down in Syracuse. If you want the intangibles like i mentioned above, give him icetime. If you want points and those intangibles, then put him with a centre like Brule/Brassard/Fritsche. Or in the meantime, Feds. Pairing him with Manny or Svits won't help him score.

Have faith man. If he can replace Carter on that third line with Fritsche and Chimmer next year, he'll finally show up for you. I promise.

Old
12-23-2006, 02:15 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I bet you were all wondering when I was going to weigh in on this thread...It is that time.

Call up Picard, Jody is PR only, he has no more game, doesn't fight anymore and Picard will go to net. One thing about Picard I have never questioned is his work ethic and attitude. I like the game he plays and I feel he better serves this organization on the big club's fourth or third line. You now have a plethorma of guys who will fight if need be, Tollefsen (The man Crush Continues), Svitov (THE reason I watch hockey), and to a lesss extent, Klesla, Chimmer...

Shelley no longer has a purpose or a role that other and more talented guys like Picard can't fill... Call Up Picard.

I'm with Stach... don't discount Uncle Douggy making a splash, assuming he still has a job in Columbus by draft time.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 12-23-2006 at 02:32 PM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 03:47 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
When he was playing in the Q, he scored a ton of points. A lot was because he played in an offensive league, but also he played a game that coaches had a tough time matching up against. He does a lot of things that don't show up on the stat sheet, like hit everybody, make his own space on the ice, and he goes 100% every night. I wish there was a stat for effort, because Pic would be right up there.

In terms of putting up points, he needs a good centreman. He has yet to consistently play with one at the NHL level. Likewise down in Syracuse. If you want the intangibles like i mentioned above, give him icetime. If you want points and those intangibles, then put him with a centre like Brule/Brassard/Fritsche. Or in the meantime, Feds. Pairing him with Manny or Svits won't help him score.

Have faith man. If he can replace Carter on that third line with Fritsche and Chimmer next year, he'll finally show up for you. I promise.

I HOPE Picard or Brule start to play the way they did in Juniors, but How Long O Lord? (or for that matter: Z or Carter or Platt or Balastik or _____).

Seems like some of the very people who are frustrated with this team and want to dump Shelley are the same people who place TOO MUCH HOPE in the young guys. Really, what are the odds that even a THIRD of our prospects eventually win a spot on our second or first line? I tell ya, it's not high enough odds for me.

It comes down to "how do you want to get better?" and "how fast do you want to get better?" I'd like to see us get better sooner by laying out some dough and making a few smart trades. More Modin/Norrena genius and less hand-wringing over underperforming "might be's."

Now Shelf told me over beer Friday night that we don't have the money. When the truth is WE DO. The cap is going up and the McConnells got the money. I summed up my "Rbar strategy to the Cup" (TM) in one word: "YANKEES". I detest the Yankees, but they have an owner who understands the value of bringing in top talent to bring home the trophy. On the other hand, I'm a Reds fan, and we've suffered through decades of stingy ownership who didn't understand you gotta pay to play.

Old
12-23-2006, 04:18 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Now Shelf told me over beer Friday night that we don't have the money. When the truth is WE DO. The cap is going up and the McConnells got the money. I summed up my "Rbar strategy to the Cup" (TM) in one word: "YANKEES". I detest the Yankees, but they have an owner who understands the value of bringing in top talent to bring home the trophy. On the other hand, I'm a Reds fan, and we've suffered through decades of stingy ownership who didn't understand you gotta pay to play.
I thus summed up to JF that we are in COLUMBUS.....not NEW YORK CITY. Big diffence in market size and revenue streams.

This team relies on a budget not the upper limit of the cap. McConnel is not in this game to lose millions upon millions. What the cap does do is even the playing field which in turn spreads the talent out throughout the leauge.

Its now not primarily how much money you to have spend but its how you spend the money you have.

Old
12-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Renion

Well, I think tonight proves that there has to be something going on behind the scenes (positive, negative or business-related), because Shelley had 2 shifts and wasn't played at all when the game was finally getting a bit chippy.

Random: when can we send Brule down to the AHL? I think he'd blossom if we gave him top-line minutes and better wingers, but I'd rather see him get his confidence back in the AHL. Isn't it in January or something?

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 09:01 PM
BlueJacketsBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Well, I think tonight proves that there has to be something going on behind the scenes (positive, negative or business-related), because Shelley had 2 shifts and wasn't played at all when the game was finally getting a bit chippy.

Random: when can we send Brule down to the AHL? I think he'd blossom if we gave him top-line minutes and better wingers, but I'd rather see him get his confidence back in the AHL. Isn't it in January or something?
I think that his birthday falls too late (1/1) for him to go to the AHL this season.

BlueJacketsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 09:37 PM
disgruntledPSLholder

the yankees haven't won the WS since 2000. overpaying every big star so that they're all on your team doesn't work. yeah, you have to spend, but not like the yankees.

disgruntledPSLholder is offline   Reply With Quote