HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 21/12/06 Flyers @ Habs 7:30 PM EST RDS

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Watching the game on CH Expresse now...geez, Yvon really seems to hate Ryder with a passion. No matter what happens he's always criticizing him.
Same with Rivet, I find.

Old
12-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Watching the game on CH Expresse now...geez, Yvon really seems to hate Ryder with a passion. No matter what happens he's always criticizing him.
He's been doing that for a little over a month. Getting quite annoying actually - he even credits others for his goals now. Pretty sad how a guy gets all his mistakes put under the microscope like that. Almost like Ryder pissed him off personally somehow...

Old
12-21-2006, 11:23 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I could understand it more when Ryder was in that slump where he couldn't put anything in the net, but he's playing well lately...and he'll never have the kind of on-ice vision that Koivu or Higgins have (and he never has) but for some reason it's like Yvon expects him to.

Old
12-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Guriken

Quote:
I could understand it more when Ryder was in that slump where he couldn't put anything in the net, but he's playing well lately...and he'll never have the kind of on-ice vision that Koivu or Higgins have (and he never has) but for some reason it's like Yvon expects him to.
Ryder often loses the puck and it's probably why Yvon looks annoyed by him. I like Michael but he must find a way to protect the puck better..!

Old
12-21-2006, 11:34 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
He's been doing that for a little over a month. Getting quite annoying actually - he even credits others for his goals now. Pretty sad how a guy gets all his mistakes put under the microscope like that. Almost like Ryder pissed him off personally somehow...
I think he just gets fixated on a certain player and doesn't have the perspective that a TV watcher has. Like, on the Flyers' 2nd goal, he was focussed on the play as someone would be who was watching it live. But the replay analysis showed that Rivet was just a victim of being outnumbered. He had about one second to get rid of the puck, if that.

Anyway, long and short of it -- it seems to be that he just has to call the play quickly, and without the time to assess and dissect the play, so bias takes over.

Old
12-21-2006, 11:44 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_felix View Post
I think Mark Streit is looking better and better everygame. I really like his game.
Hell yeah, remember that awsome hit behind the net on the forecheck, then a perfect pass to Higgins in front of the net?! that was nice.

Old
12-21-2006, 11:44 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Like, on the Flyers' 2nd goal, he was focussed on the play as someone would be who was watching it live. But the replay analysis showed that Rivet was just a victim of being outnumbered. He had about one second to get rid of the puck, if that
Agreed, I didn't think it was Rivet's fault like a lot of posters made it out to be...the puck came to him and he tried to one-time it away (the best play IMO with 2 Flyers bearing down on you) but it hopped over his stick. He didn't really help his situation after that by falling over, but it wasn't the nightmarish gaffe that I thought it'd be.

Old
12-21-2006, 11:54 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
I certainly agree. Don't get me wrong, Latendresse is impressing me every game, and certainly deserves to be on this team. He has exceeded all my expectations, and the best part is, he will only get better. However, I view him more as a complementary player at this stage of his career, while Higgins has become more of a leader, who can create his own chances.
My biggest suprise about Latendress is his great play making skills. Some of the passes he's dished out this year were absolutly ridiculous.

Old
12-22-2006, 12:19 AM
superstar436

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
My biggest suprise about Latendress is his great play making skills. Some of the passes he's dished out this year were absolutly ridiculous.
agree with u. IMHO today Lats > ryder.

Old
12-22-2006, 12:21 AM
White Snake*

Quote:
Agreed, I didn't think it was Rivet's fault like a lot of posters made it out to be...the puck came to him and he tried to one-time it away (the best play IMO with 2 Flyers bearing down on you) but it hopped over his stick. He didn't really help his situation after that by falling over, but it wasn't the nightmarish gaffe that I thought it'd be.
OH CMON! WHen you are shorthanded it is a given to unload the puck immediately when it hits your stick. Victim, NO way .........A little unlucky maybe but Rivet has a uncanny rep for holding on to the puck. Even when he goes in the corner for the puck he has about 2 seconds to wip it around the boards but instead he stop and surrounds the pcuk with his skates and gets hit off the puck usually leadin gto scoring chances. He is a turnover machine. Tahnk goodness SOuray has turned around his defensive game.

Old
12-22-2006, 12:25 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar436 View Post
agree with u. IMHO today Lats > ryder.
I woudnt say that. Ryder has improved his speed alot and makes our team speed that much better. Pednault should stop picking on him. He's not doing so bad. Before tonight he had 10 points in his last 8 games.

Old
12-22-2006, 12:26 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Snake View Post
OH CMON! WHen you are shorthanded it is a given to unload the puck immediately when it hits your stick. Victim, NO way .........A little unlucky maybe but Rivet has a uncanny rep for holding on to the puck. Even when he goes in the corner for the puck he has about 2 seconds to wip it around the boards but instead he stop and surrounds the pcuk with his skates and gets hit off the puck usually leadin gto scoring chances. He is a turnover machine. Tahnk goodness SOuray has turned around his defensive game.
Rivet didnt even touch the puck on the play. He was hoping/waiting for the puck to get to the outside lane so he could send it up the boards instead of through the middle of the zone.

Old
12-22-2006, 12:37 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700

No more cage for Bonker he got a visor now. Notice the nose is now straight!

Carbo was giving away the mad props tonight:
Quote:
From the first guy to the 23rd guy, everyone wants to sacrifice - whether it's their statistics or their bodies - for the good of the team,"

"Even when you win there are little mistakes you can fix," he said. "But on the other hand we had Alex Kovalev blocking shots in the third period tonight, and I'm not sure we got that earlier in the season."
Congrats to Abby

Quote:
David Aebischer made 26 saves for Montreal, including a big one on Sami Kapanen early in the third to maintain a 3-2 Canadiens lead, to win his second straight start and earn his 100th career win.

"It's pretty special," Aebischer said of the milestone. "It's not quite (Patrick Roy's all-time record of) 551, but I'm getting closer."

Old
12-22-2006, 12:44 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Snake View Post
OH CMON! WHen you are shorthanded it is a given to unload the puck immediately when it hits your stick. Victim, NO way .........A little unlucky maybe but Rivet has a uncanny rep for holding on to the puck.
...That's exactly what Rivet tried to do. Like znk said, he didn't even touch the puck - he tried to bat it away and it hopped past his stick.

I could understand the frustration if Rivet had gotten the puck and then was too slow to move it out (like Fisher's short-handed screw-up on Tuesday in the Sens/Bruins game, if you saw that) but he didn't even get the chance.

Like I said, I'm not totally excusing him but it wasn't THAT bad of a play...just a bad bounce that the Flyers capitalized on.

Old
12-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Rivet didnt even touch the puck on the play. He was hoping/waiting for the puck to get to the outside lane so he could send it up the boards instead of through the middle of the zone.
That's exactly it. It was a lose-lose situation: if he stabbed at the puck, he would have just pushed it to the slot; instead he tried to get a good dump, but he got forechecked 2 vs 1. And again, this all happened in a split second.

Old
12-22-2006, 01:28 AM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
That's exactly it. It was a lose-lose situation: if he stabbed at the puck, he would have just pushed it to the slot; instead he tried to get a good dump, but he got forechecked 2 vs 1. And again, this all happened in a split second.
Teh safest play would probebly have been to follow it in the corner or something...but he took a slight risk. It sucks that he missed tough. HE must have been kicking himself after

Old
12-22-2006, 03:13 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Great game for the Canadiens as usual. It was getting someone tense in the third until Higgins's spectacular goal. I think the difference between Higgins and Latendresse at this stage was very evident on that goal. During Latendresse's hot streak, he was the recipient of several Koivu feeds. That Higgins was scored because of HIS hustle, and HIS finish. If people were supporting Lats remaining on the 1st line (and those are few on this site) instead of Higgins, they need to review that play. Higgins adds a completely different dimension to this team that we lacked in the Zednik era, and it is completely refreshing to see. He is the first line player we have always looked for.
I agree but Lats is producing and works better on the first two line. Higgins is definitly better at this point in time but we really need the second line to work. Lats-Koivu-Ryder were a pretty good line, how about using Chris' firepower to give a boost to the second line? I like Plek but he's not producing like a 2 line centerman and he's the type of speedy player that is better in a support utility, surprising oponants on a checking line(like Streit is doing right now). I for one think Murray still has usefullness in term of grit. So with Begin back, my ideal composition of lines would be:

Lats-Saku-Ryder
Sammy-Higgins-Kovalev
Plek-Bonk-Jonhson
Begin-Lap-Murray

..with Downey and Perez on their way out. You keep Streit as the sort of guy that will help you whatever there's an injury or you need to get your team going in defense or as a forward.

Old
12-22-2006, 05:53 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
Tough game, we'll take it easy and have a loss, mark my words.
You're words have been marked. I guess you're used to it by now but I'll say it again.....YOU'RE WRONG!

Why do you say stuff like "mark my words"..... do you rub your crystal ball when you make garauntees? If so, get a new one.

Old
12-22-2006, 06:32 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I think the reason Ryder is being criticized lately, is because now that his injury has healed, he's been playing worse.

And that's because he's trying to do the things that didn't make him successful. He'll try carrying the puck in himself - never works. He tries to pull dekes all the time - never work.

He's got to give the puck to Koivu to bring the puck in, or dump and chase. And he's got to get himself into prime scoring areas and accept the pass and use his great shot.

Old
12-22-2006, 07:06 AM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Ryder isnt frustrating me as much as he seems to be frustrating the crew at team990 and the fans i guess. Kovalev and Samsonov are bigger frustrations to me. these guys are getting paid much more and are producing less than Ryder.

Old
12-22-2006, 07:19 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
You're words have been marked. I guess you're used to it by now but I'll say it again.....YOU'RE WRONG!

Why do you say stuff like "mark my words"..... do you rub your crystal ball when you make garauntees? If so, get a new one.
He gave us a Niinimaa guarantee again.

Old
12-22-2006, 08:07 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
Ryder isnt frustrating me as much as he seems to be frustrating the crew at team990 and the fans i guess. Kovalev and Samsonov are bigger frustrations to me. these guys are getting paid much more and are producing less than Ryder.
Colour me one of those frustrated by Ryder. Yes, he has been putting up points, but it's the way he goofs up 4-5 times per game that annoy me. He doesn't like passing the puck, and in trying to do it himself or trying to shoot, he often messes up. Now I still think Ryder can be a good hockey player, but I think this year you see a lack of vision/offensive awareness in his play.

As for Kovalev and Samsonov, yes they are overpaid, but the past while they have stepped their game up another level. They have been playing quite well. Perhaps its a result of the positive atmosphere that surrounds a winning team.

Old
12-22-2006, 08:16 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

TheDamned is a joke, I just wish he would leave hfboards. Never has anything positive to say at all.

Old
12-22-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
I find Kovalev & Samsonov to be playing MUCH better lately, Samsonov especially seems to have found 'his' niche with the team, and he and Kovalev seemed to have found a way to share the ice together.

Ryder, I don't complain about...he's a shooter, who's going through a scoring slump right now. Anywtime a player who's mainly a shooter struggles to score goals, the rest of his game follows suit, but credit to Ryder his defensive game has been solid, it's just the puck that's not going in, but eventually it will.

Old
12-22-2006, 09:43 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I agree but Lats is producing and works better on the first two line. Higgins is definitly better at this point in time but we really need the second line to work. Lats-Koivu-Ryder were a pretty good line, how about using Chris' firepower to give a boost to the second line? I like Plek but he's not producing like a 2 line centerman and he's the type of speedy player that is better in a support utility, surprising oponants on a checking line(like Streit is doing right now). I for one think Murray still has usefullness in term of grit. So with Begin back, my ideal composition of lines would be:

Lats-Saku-Ryder
Sammy-Higgins-Kovalev
Plek-Bonk-Jonhson
Begin-Lap-Murray

..with Downey and Perez on their way out. You keep Streit as the sort of guy that will help you whatever there's an injury or you need to get your team going in defense or as a forward.
That was only true at the start of the season when his confidence wasnt as hight as it is now. Right now he's been pretty effective on the 4th line and getting some PP time. He was great paired up with Lapierre and he also got a goal last night. He has 3 points in 3 games since he's been on the 4th line. The 2nd line has also been working great the last couple of weeks. So I see absolutly no problem and no reason to mess with anything.

I think your basing your assumptions on what was going on earlier this year...not what is going on right now.

Closed Thread