HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Info on 2007-eligible prospects

Old
12-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

vCash: 500
Info on 2007-eligible prospects

I don't know much about these guys as I've never seen any of them play (or atleast very limited):

What type of player are they? 2-way? Pure offensive? Physical? Sniper? Playmaker? Offensive-dman?
Who's most likely to be a bust?
What are the strong points of their game?
What NHLers are they similar to?

Jakub Voracek
Angelo Esposito
Logan Couture
Sam Gagner
James VanRiemsdyk
Nick Petrecki
Karl Alzner
Pat Kane
Colton Gillies
Keaton Ellerby
Kyle Turris
Zach Hamill
Mark Katic
John Negrin

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Nobody?

Old
12-22-2006, 02:18 AM
MS

Alzner reminds me of Wade Redden. He's not going to make highlight-reel rushes or bonecrushing hits, but is just an excellent player right across the board with no real weaknesses. Good size, smooth outstanding skater, top-notch outlet passer. Oozes smarts and hockey sense at both ends of the rink. Almost zero bust risk - he'll be a guy who plays 23-25 minutes/game and puts up 35-45 points/year for the next 15 years. Might not be dynamic enough to be considered Norris material, but is a prototype top-pairing defender. Seems like he'll be a top-5 pick, and is rising.

Ellerby is a defensive defender who projects as a Kyle McLaren type. Still quite raw, especially offensively, and needs to put on weight. Skates well, reads the play well in his own zone (although not as advanced positionally as Alzner), and is willing to play the body. May have a bit more offensive upside than he's shown, but won't be a point producer or PP guy in pro. Will be a punishing hitter when he gets up to his NHL weight of 215-220 lbs from the 195 he's at now. Probable top-10 pick although his rating is all over the place right now.

There's a long thread on Gillies already on the board. A player people are really divided on at this point. Some love his raw size/skills/skating ability and have him close to the top-10, others hate his lack of natural offensive instincts and have him outside of the first round. I'm somewhere in the middle - his size, speed, and work ethic will make him a solid NHL player, although I don't think he'll ever be a big point producer. Good bet to develop into an elite 3rd liner. Good pick late in the first round, although a team that takes him too high based on upside will probably regret it.

Hamill is a crafty, skilled, playmaking center. Sees the game well, plays with a lot of pace and tempo, but isn't big at 5'11 190. Reminds me a lot of Brendan Morrison, and like Morrison is a guy who might not project as a #1 center but should be a very good #2 guy. Is very strong defensively, having spent three years under Kevin Constantine in Everett. The risk is that - like guys like Upshall and Lundmark - he won't have the size/strength to carry his offensive game to pro. Seems like he'll go in the 20-30 range, although RLR still has him at #8 overall.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 03:38 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Stay away from Gillis with a top 20 pick, I can say that. You would think he could put it together - 6'4'', can really skate, decent hands - but he cant score. If you cant score at juniours that will never develope.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 06:37 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Stay away from Gillis with a top 20 pick, I can say that. You would think he could put it together - 6'4'', can really skate, decent hands - but he cant score. If you cant score at juniours that will never develope.
Even supposing he maintains his current low-scoring pace this year, I'm not sure that "can't score" at 17 necessarily translates flat out to "can't score at juniors". Of course, that might nevertheless turn out to be the case with him, I'm not making any prediction. But he has scored at times in the past, times say when he hasn't been on a woeful team. He'll have time and opportunity to score in juniors for a couple of years past the draft. I don't suppose he would be the first case in history of a player who scored 10 goals in his draft year and blossomed somewhat thereafter...

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Sounds like a perfect pick for the Canucks.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Duff88

I thought this website was pretty useful although the rankings are a bit out-dated (November 1st). I'm thinking this might be X-Sharkie's page considering I don't know many Sharks fan who hold rankings on prospects... but that's just a guess.

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88 View Post
I thought this website was pretty useful although the rankings are a bit out-dated (November 1st). I'm thinking this might be X-Sharkie's page considering I don't know many Sharks fan who hold rankings on prospects... but that's just a guess.
Great, thanks.

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming.

Old
12-22-2006, 12:45 PM
johnny canuckistan

The thread on Gillies really tears him apart. In particular, it quotes a scout who says (roughly paraphrasing here) there's no way this guy's a first rounder, that he looks great in practice and then drifts around during games.

If this is true, then he'll probably fall a round or two or three. However, he's young and maybe he just needs to focus a bit better. Great pedigree as well, his dad was a fantastic player.

I've seen Gagner play a few times, and he's very exciting. I don't know who I'd compare him to as that seems like a poor method of evaluating talent, but I would expect him to be a first line player in the NHL. When he's 24 or 25, he'll rack up a lot of goals and even more assists. I like him better than Rob Schremp for example, who is extremely talented, but who may not have the correct mental and physical make-up for the NHL.

johnny canuckistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 07:05 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Anybody else?

Old
12-27-2006, 11:36 PM
Hiishawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny canuckistan View Post
The thread on Gillies really tears him apart. In particular, it quotes a scout who says (roughly paraphrasing here) there's no way this guy's a first rounder, that he looks great in practice and then drifts around during games.
I find that quite strange coming from a scout. Gillies is a very very hard worker- a beast to handle. He just has trouble finishing but you've gotta believe it will come around because the talent and the effort is there. People here are attracted to stats the some young guys chase after girls in tube tops and miniskirts. They like the flash but...

By the way, Gillies' dad was never much of a player but his uncle was pretty good.

Hiishawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 01:08 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
Sounds like a perfect pick for the Canucks.
Oh, he would fit in well here on a line with Green and Chouinard.

Old
12-28-2006, 01:33 AM
ZombieMatt

Kyle Turris is an outstanding offensive talent who doesn't get nearly as much recognition from fans who dismiss him simply because he plays in the BCHL. Yes he is slight and needs to bulk up a little bit, but his combination of speed, shooting ability and raw skill is quite impressive. His conditioning is superb and he's a very bright, committed young man who is doing everything necessary to prepare himself for the next step. I won't say that he'll be a top ten guy for sure, because I do think the Junior "A" thing scares some teams, but he certainly has the potential to be a real breakout offensive talent.

ZombieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 01:38 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt MacInnis View Post
Kyle Turris is an outstanding offensive talent who doesn't get nearly as much recognition from fans who dismiss him simply because he plays in the BCHL. Yes he is slight and needs to bulk up a little bit, but his combination of speed, shooting ability and raw skill is quite impressive. His conditioning is superb and he's a very bright, committed young man who is doing everything necessary to prepare himself for the next step. I won't say that he'll be a top ten guy for sure, because I do think the Junior "A" thing scares some teams, but he certainly has the potential to be a real breakout offensive talent.

I think the whole Zajac thing will lessen the fear of most teams. And if the scouts think Turris is one of the best talents in the draft, they will pick him. Of course, im sure Ron Delorme thinks Spencer Machacek is better than him.

Old
12-28-2006, 01:03 PM
ZombieMatt

Perhaps. But I think that there is a big psychological difference in taking a guy from a junior "A" league in the top ten compared to 20th overall.

ZombieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 01:40 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Someone in another thread compared Kane to Martin St. Louis and I think that's a good comparison.

Gagner is similar to Adam Oates - a wicked playmaker with great vision who makes everyone on the ice with him better.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote