HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Colton Gillies a first rounder?

Old
12-21-2006, 01:54 PM
WesternEliteHockeyPr

vCash: 500
Colton Gillies a first rounder?

Yes. He displays some of the most unreal talent I've ever seen for a guy his age with that kind of size and skating ability. Right now in Saskatoon they are the youngest team in recent record in the WHL with NO 1987 born players. Try and find one other team with that in the whole CHL. Colton was playing on a 4th line last year due to tremendous depth in Saskatoon with players like Barnes, Rabbit, Setoguchi, Klassen, Bahensky, Bader etc. This year he was thrust into a postion of having to be the primary scorer on a young team player against 19-20 yr olds most of the night who match up against him. He hasn't really found a way to score a whole lot of points with only 20 or so at the half way point. But any team who passes up on a 6/4 195 lb 17 yr old who can skate, hit and pass the way he can is surely losing. The 2nd half, this kid is going to be dangerous. Can't expect more than 50 pts this year out of Colton but look out in the future.

WesternEliteHockeyPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Kings are pretty high on him and Turris.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 02:00 PM
WesternEliteHockeyPr

LA Kings and Gillies

I know they are very high on him and have spoken to him many times saying that if he falls to them that they will pick him. I would say that the Kings will have a good chance as they'll pick 15-30 somewhere is my guess and Gillies should be a very nice pick down there due to playing on a weak and very young team this year.

WesternEliteHockeyPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Sabes

Gillies is big and a very good skater. He can also throw big hits too. However 5 goals and 10 assists in 28 games for a supposed top 10 pick is pretty bad. He only had a 9 goal year his year before the WHL so maybe the offence will never come around. I would still take him in the bottom half of the 1st round.

Sabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Right now? not a chance. I can't see any team taking a risk on a kid who while he may have some tools hasn't been able to put it all together. He wouldn't be a bad 2nd or 3rd round gamble for a team, but they hype this kid got last year was unwaranted. I can't believe people considered this guy a Top 5 pick this time last year. I think he'll turn into a solid 3rd liner in the NHL but people expecting big things from him will probably be disappointed. He reminds me a bit of Taylor Pyatt in terms of size and style but I hope people don't expect Gillies to be a 1st liner like they did with Pyatt.

Edler Von Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 02:57 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlie_has_a_goalie View Post
Right now? not a chance. I can't see any team taking a risk on a kid who while he may have some tools hasn't been able to put it all together. He wouldn't be a bad 2nd or 3rd round gamble for a team, but they hype this kid got last year was unwaranted. I can't believe people considered this guy a Top 5 pick this time last year. I think he'll turn into a solid 3rd liner in the NHL but people expecting big things from him will probably be disappointed. He reminds me a bit of Taylor Pyatt in terms of size and style but I hope people don't expect Gillies to be a 1st liner like they did with Pyatt.
i'm glad to hear this from someone other thsan a scout, because everyone around here practiucally consideres him a saint.

I just spent the last two hours going over McKeen's top 250 for December with a pro scout whose opinion i value more than any other when it comes to evaluating talent. His track record is outstanding.

Anyway; we (McKeen's) have the players ranked by leagues in North America, and when he saw Gillies ranked ahead of Tyrell, Doyle, Repik and Hamill, he simply stated "You rank those guys ahead of Gillies."

I asked him if he even considers Gillies to be a first rounder, he says, "Not on my list he's not. I think you're taking a big chance in the first round. He's really going to have to get gritty just to play on your third line, a fourth-line NHLer at best if he doesn't. You see him in warmup, and you think, 'This is a top five pick', then you see him play.....no understanding of the game, no hockey sense, skates around doing nothing, shots the puck with his head down, and it flies anywhere but at the net. "

I guess Gillies is going to be one of those "love him or hate him" type of prospect with the fans, but the feedback I've gotten from several scouts now is that this guy is not top 20 material right now. If this trend continues Gillies won't be in the top 30 of our January list.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHL Follower View Post
I know they are very high on him and have spoken to him many times saying that if he falls to them that they will pick him. I would say that the Kings will have a good chance as they'll pick 15-30 somewhere is my guess and Gillies should be a very nice pick down there due to playing on a weak and very young team this year.
LA a playoff team?

They could easily trade down and nab Gillies later in the first if they want, but there's no question that unless Gillies really drastically picks it up in the second half he'll be available when they pick in the first (which I'd peg somewhere in the 4-10 range).

Gillies seemingly embodies the 'project' label so I wouldn't be suprised if a team takes a gamble on him in the first. I wouldn't necessarily agree with it at this point but it wouldn't suprise me.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 04:19 PM
MS

I'm curious to see if there will actually be an over-reaction to his lack of offensive development, as he has absolutely been overhyped in the past couple years.

Offensively, yeah, it is a stretch to project him as a top-6 guy. Turnbuckle's comments above are pretty spot-on in that regard - doesn't seem to understand the game well, doesn't really know how to use his linemates as well as he should, doesn't have a natural goalscorer's instincts although he does have a very nice wristshot with a quick release.

However, there's still a lot to work with there. His skating is elite for a player of his size, and his intangibles seem very strong - works hard, finishes his checks, and he does seem to understand the game pretty well defensively. Unlike most 'project' players, he is fairly polished overall. And he isn't devoid of talent the way some people here claim. If he could develop into a 15-15-30 guy whom you could build your 3rd line around with his size and skating ability, then he's well worth a #1 pick in the 18-25 range. No-one would consider Ethan Moreau (just as an example) a bad pick where he went.

He will play in the NHL in some fashion, you can pretty much take it to the bank. I would be hugely surprised if he slides far into the 2nd round.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't think teams necessarily pick Gillies as a 1st rounder based on what he has done this year... but... rather they will take him as a 1st rounder nevertheless, based on all of those tantalizing traits others have already mentioned, and hope that he gets it all together. They will do this knowing all that has gone before with the Kilgers and Pyatts or whatever other comparables might be drawn. But they'll still do it with the same hopes that teams have always had when they see a big guy with the skill and skating package that Gillies brings. Unless he turns his season around, they'll then be calling him a "project", and really, it's not tremendously different than the way teams quite frequently pick with defensemen, only this time it will be a forward.

I was really surprised with Gillies' skating; this summer in my head I thought he was a big lumbering bruiser, but when I saw him, I had to revise that mental image a bit. He has more filling out to do than I expected, didn't seem all that mean, although quite capable physically, and skated an awful lot better than I had imagined, and that supposedly while still somewhat hampered by injury? Some teams will like that. I'm sure there will be other teams that will bump him down a lot too. I think in ranking him you have to take that all into consideration and still put him handily in the 1st round, because even if there are teams that will drop him, it only takes 1 team who likes him at #15 for him to get snatched. And I think there will be more than 1 team who likes him in the 1st round, for sure.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 05:16 PM
sbtatter

He's going to have to fix those stone hands of his......

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Form and Substance

I've been saying it for 2 years now, Colton Gillies is insanely overrated. Damn I still remember some of the reports that had him ranked number 1 overall. I hope he does prove me wrong though and does become a top 6 forward just for kicks.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 05:40 PM
hfboardsuser

Two words: Jesse Joensuu.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 05:57 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
I've been saying it for 2 years now, Colton Gillies is insanely overrated. Damn I still remember some of the reports that had him ranked number 1 overall. I hope he does prove me wrong though and does become a top 6 forward just for kicks.
I wonder how much his last name has to do with him being overrated?

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 08:35 AM
sbtatter

Often those bigger guys take an extra year or 2 to develop their hands. But over the last 2 seasons I'd say Sutter and Hamill have caused my Wheaties more issues than Gillies. Going to be very interesting to see how low Gillies goes in the draft, If White sunk to the 3rd round in 2006 there's no reason to think that couldn't happen to someone like Gillies in 2007....

Last edited by sbtatter: 12-22-2006 at 09:36 AM.
sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 08:55 AM
V-2 Schneider

Is there a reason why he couldn't be another Turner Stevenson?

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 09:23 AM
johnny canuckistan

Damning indictment of Gillies: "no understanding of the game, no hockey sense, skates around doing nothing, shots the puck with his head down, and it flies anywhere but at the net. "

Fourth round and plummeting, unless he turns it around fast.

johnny canuckistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Hiishawk

I still go with him top 15. That skating, size, and effort package is the BEST in the 2007 class. I disagree that he doesn't have hockey sense- he has excellent defensive sense and he's a regular physical factor along the boards. No, he doesn't have that sniper's sense for sure- he doesn't find those open spots well and he does tend to shoot blindly and could use a quicker release but then again he's not surrounded by flashy playmakers either. Sometimes I think he's a bit too unselfish too.

Hiishawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
I just spent the last two hours going over McKeen's top 250 for December
Is this list available somewhere or is McKeen's just releasing the top 30?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 03:28 PM
agent

Can I buy someones Rose Colored glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by steblick View Post
I still go with him top 15. That skating, size, and effort package is the BEST in the 2007 class. I disagree that he doesn't have hockey sense- he has excellent defensive sense and he's a regular physical factor along the boards. No, he doesn't have that sniper's sense for sure- he doesn't find those open spots well and he does tend to shoot blindly and could use a quicker release but then again he's not surrounded by flashy playmakers either. Sometimes I think he's a bit too unselfish too.
I just can't see his potential. A player with hockey sense doesn't continuously get injured and thrown out of games for dirty play like checking from behind because he is behind the play.
I see more potential in others like the 17 yr old Warrior on the first line PK with better numbers so far this season also on a loosing team. but I guess his name isn't Hull , Gillies, or Sakic, etc. Catch the drift?

agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Hiishawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent View Post
I just can't see his potential. A player with hockey sense doesn't continuously get injured and thrown out of games for dirty play like checking from behind because he is behind the play.
I see more potential in others like the 17 yr old Warrior on the first line PK with better numbers so far this season also on a loosing team. but I guess his name isn't Hull , Gillies, or Sakic, etc. Catch the drift?
????
Anyway- If I didn't know the guy's stats- when I was watching him I would say he looks like a candidate for #1 overall- he looks that good. He just doesn't produce goals.

Hiishawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 07:53 PM
LVIsles*

Is this guy Clark's kid?

LVIsles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Alter Haudegen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVIsles View Post
Is this guy Clark's kid?
Nephew.

Alter Haudegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 04:05 PM
nuckfan insk

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent View Post
is bast the warrior your talkin about ?

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Buckleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
LA a playoff team?

They could easily trade down and nab Gillies later in the first if they want, but there's no question that unless Gillies really drastically picks it up in the second half he'll be available when they pick in the first (which I'd peg somewhere in the 4-10 range).

Gillies seemingly embodies the 'project' label so I wouldn't be suprised if a team takes a gamble on him in the first. I wouldn't necessarily agree with it at this point but it wouldn't suprise me.
Hes Mucklers man then

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Spetzky

Send a message via MSN to Spetzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
Hes Mucklers man then
exactly the team I want to pick him but it's in muckler's hands.

Spetzky is offline   Reply With Quote