HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Colton Gillies a first rounder?

Old
12-27-2006, 11:46 AM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
If he's considered that much of a project, then the Kings won't grab him. Lombardi seems to want to draft safe picks, even if there is a kid who might be a home run still sitting there.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 09:09 PM
sbtatter

Watched Gillies here in Bdn last night and he showed good hustle and no scoring ability. He's very tall and skinny, but not a physical force yet. Seems to have a hard time skating when handling the puck. Can't see him being a 1st rounder unless he gets a lot better in the 2nd half of the season....

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2007, 06:11 PM
agent

Looks Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannoabram View Post
is bast the warrior your talkin about ?
Yep. People seem to love him. I like his consistency and numbers. He kind of sits in the shadows.
Missed out in the Bantam draft ,yet was was League MVP in his bantam draft year.Probably happens more often than we realize.
See if the same happens in the entry draft.

agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 08:53 AM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
Watched Gillies and he showed good hustle and no scoring ability. He's very tall and skinny, but not a physical force yet. Can't see him being a 1st rounder unless he gets a lot better in the 2nd half of the season....

Agreed, however I do see him breaking out sooner or later.

IMHO I see him going early second round.

DanStewartFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 11:32 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
With Colton you always want more then he surprises you. I saw him totally undress the goalie for Kootenay on a breakway to score.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 11:55 AM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Any blades fans here? It's totally normal not being on the scoresheet often when it's your draft especially in the dub. I've seen him once this year and he was receiving no pp time with third line icetime. Saw him on 2nd pp unit twice that is all. Will play a bigger role next year imo, he has alot of tools, I love his skills.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 01:52 PM
sbtatter

The big risk for teams when they draft Gillies is that he could turn into a Ryan Reaves. Reaves is a good power forward with great athletic genes (Willard Reaves anyone) in the dub but his stone hands haven't developed. So unless Gillies develops a scoring touch in the 2nd half here I can't see anyone risking a first round pick on him. As far as not scoring many points in your draft year supposedly being normal, what about Mueller, White, Burki and Maxwell last year? They all scored 50 to 60 points I believe, whereas Gillies is on track for the mid thirties. Don't get me wrong, I love his size, but is that all he's going to have going for him?

Old
01-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Spetzky

Send a message via MSN to Spetzky
I've watched him 3 times and everytime I am suprised by his size, defensive play, work-ethic and his skill. But it's like nothing bounces right for him like the other game when he had the puck on his stick on a wrap-around the puck just bounced away from him on what should have been a goal. If he can't find the net in junior, he's going to have even more trouble in the NHL.

Spetzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 04:03 PM
God Bless Canada

Count me among the skeptics.

When it comes to size and the things you can teach, it's all there. Any scout will be drawn to a player that big with that kind of speed. It's the things you can't teach - the hockey sense, the instincts - that are lacking. I have doubts about how the kid thinks the game. And if given the choice between a kid who can think the game and one who struggles to think the game, I'll take the kid who can think the game every time.

The question becomes will he become a Nikita Alexeev type - and keep in mind how long it's taken Alexeev to get a regular shift in the NHL - or worse, a Jay Legault type. Or is he going to be that player, like a Benoit Poulliot or a Dustin Penner, with the size and the tools, who figures it out at a later stage in his career. That's the question that scouts need to ask before picking him.

I wouldn't pick him in the top 15 or 20 picks. If I'm at 25-30 and I'm in need of a big player who could be a really good third liner - and might even develop into a top six forward - then I'd take him. He's the type who could really build a scout's reputation, or he's a guy that a team picks and winds up kicking themselves in the future.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
If he's considered that much of a project, then the Kings won't grab him. Lombardi seems to want to draft safe picks, even if there is a kid who might be a home run still sitting there.
wow! i think that was the fastest change of hearth about a prospect i ever saw, i think it's easy to think that you like on what you read rather then what you saw I only saw Gillies once and he's just one of those players where you go, if only.... Unless i'm at the 25-30th overall range i woudn't take the risk

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-2 Schneider View Post
Is there a reason why he couldn't be another Turner Stevenson?
Yeah... he skates too well for one thing.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
how many firsts does LA have?

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 12:36 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Count me among the skeptics.

When it comes to size and the things you can teach, it's all there. Any scout will be drawn to a player that big with that kind of speed. It's the things you can't teach - the hockey sense, the instincts - that are lacking. I have doubts about how the kid thinks the game. And if given the choice between a kid who can think the game and one who struggles to think the game, I'll take the kid who can think the game every time.

The question becomes will he become a Nikita Alexeev type - and keep in mind how long it's taken Alexeev to get a regular shift in the NHL - or worse, a Jay Legault type. Or is he going to be that player, like a Benoit Poulliot or a Dustin Penner, with the size and the tools, who figures it out at a later stage in his career. That's the question that scouts need to ask before picking him.

I wouldn't pick him in the top 15 or 20 picks. If I'm at 25-30 and I'm in need of a big player who could be a really good third liner - and might even develop into a top six forward - then I'd take him. He's the type who could really build a scout's reputation, or he's a guy that a team picks and winds up kicking themselves in the future.
But the thing is, it's only his hockey sense in the offensive end of the ice that is lacking. His work ethic, physical game, and defensive game are all very sound, and project well to the NHL, especially with his physical gifts.

But because of those physical gifts and lack of offensive results, people immediately want to compare him to guys like Legault, Alexeev, etc. - players who were lazy, flaky, and clueless in their own zone. Classic all tools/no toolbox players, and I don't thing that's fair at all. To me, he's a big, fast, high-end 3rd line prospect. A bigger Ryan Kesler or something along those lines.

I don't view him as a project at all - to me, he's the exact opposite. Looks like a project because of a couple high-end skills, but underneath it actually a really safe pick. Big, hard-working, fast as hell, willing to mix it up. No way he doesn't play in the NHL and he'll be a key 3rd line player for someone, but he's never going to clear 50 points.

Past the 15-20 range, I'd have no problem taking him at all.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 01:43 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Russians View Post
how many firsts does LA have?
Right now one. But I'd be surprised if we didn't add another one by the deadline or at the draft.

Old
01-23-2007, 01:45 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
But the thing is, it's only his hockey sense in the offensive end of the ice that is lacking. His work ethic, physical game, and defensive game are all very sound, and project well to the NHL, especially with his physical gifts.

But because of those physical gifts and lack of offensive results, people immediately want to compare him to guys like Legault, Alexeev, etc. - players who were lazy, flaky, and clueless in their own zone. Classic all tools/no toolbox players, and I don't thing that's fair at all. To me, he's a big, fast, high-end 3rd line prospect. A bigger Ryan Kesler or something along those lines.

I don't view him as a project at all - to me, he's the exact opposite. Looks like a project because of a couple high-end skills, but underneath it actually a really safe pick. Big, hard-working, fast as hell, willing to mix it up. No way he doesn't play in the NHL and he'll be a key 3rd line player for someone, but he's never going to clear 50 points.

An in his prime Scott Thornton?

Old
01-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Hiishawk

Quote:

Bingo. MS knows his hockey.

Hiishawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2007, 10:15 AM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Quote:

Although I do agree with you, with the variety and depth through out the first couple rounds there are bound to be some high level prospects still around at the 15-25 range, do you pass on a say D Thomas Hickey, D Mark Katic or LW Ruslan Bashkirov for Gillies who will in all likely hood be a third liner if these guys are still available?

DanStewartFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2007, 11:04 PM
nuckfan insk

Quote:

i would. there are much better available, we already have josh green, no use wasting a high pick on another.

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 12:38 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannoabram View Post
i would. there are much better available, we already have josh green, no use wasting a high pick on another.
With 15 onwards its always a crapshoot with all players having deficiencies or else Bergeron would have gone top 5.. With Gillies you have a player that may grow into his body.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2007, 08:00 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
With 15 onwards its always a crapshoot with all players having deficiencies or else Bergeron would have gone top 5.. With Gillies you have a player that may grow into his body.
I could be convinced that he's worth a 15 to 30 pick, ( you guys are doing a good job on me!) just not top 10...

Old
02-06-2007, 11:21 PM
sbtatter

Watched Gillies again tonight. he scored a nice garbage goal, tried pretty hard but was knocked around pretty good by Keaves, Robak and Kohn. I see hustle, I see effort, I see size, I see good hockey genes, but i don't see top 10 pick. I see Andrew McBain at the low end, I see Trevor Linden at the high end.
Incidentally, the Blades have improved quite a bit as a team, should be good next year. best players on the ice tonight were Brad Cole, Holtby and Justin McRae for the Blades, Topilko, Cagalurri and Klinkhammer for the WK's.

Old
02-07-2007, 01:00 AM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup View Post
Although I do agree with you, with the variety and depth through out the first couple rounds there are bound to be some high level prospects still around at the 15-25 range, do you pass on a say D Thomas Hickey, D Mark Katic or LW Ruslan Bashkirov for Gillies who will in all likely hood be a third liner if these guys are still available?

Teams will be passing on Bashkirov in the 15-25 range, unless you're talking about baseball and the 15-25th round.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:15 AM
LWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
Watched Gillies again tonight. he scored a nice garbage goal, tried pretty hard but was knocked around pretty good by Keaves, Robak and Kohn. I see hustle, I see effort, I see size, I see good hockey genes, but i don't see top 10 pick. I see Andrew McBain at the low end, I see Trevor Linden at the high end.
Incidentally, the Blades have improved quite a bit as a team, should be good next year. best players on the ice tonight were Brad Cole, Holtby and Justin McRae for the Blades, Topilko, Cagalurri and Klinkhammer for the WK's.
If Setoguchi was still in Saskatoon Gillies and McRaes stock would be higher

LWD is offline   Reply With Quote