HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jason Ward

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2003, 10:50 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

vCash: 500
Jason Ward

Has anyone heard anything on Ward? Someone was telling me that he is way ahead of schedule and could start skating shortly, did anyone else hear this, cause I couldn't find anything in the press to confirm this and I would think it would have been brought up by now.

I know he's not the most skilled guy, but I want to see him back in the lineup, no one works harder then Wardie.

Old
12-01-2003, 11:12 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Has anyone heard anything on Ward? Someone was telling me that he is way ahead of schedule and could start skating shortly, did anyone else hear this, cause I couldn't find anything in the press to confirm this and I would think it would have been brought up by now.

I know he's not the most skilled guy, but I want to see him back in the lineup, no one works harder then Wardie.
http://www.canada.com/montreal/sport...3-39899B827532

The last paragraph mentions Ward...

Old
12-01-2003, 11:24 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star

Yep. Guess we can expect him 2 or 3 weeks from now back in the lineup. I think the 4th line never looked as good as when he was on it.

Langdon - Begin - Ward is the perfect 4th line and I'm looking forward to see it reunited.

Old
12-01-2003, 12:29 PM
Larmar

Ward isn't checker. He can be new Steve Shatt in our team, if sombody give a chance for him!!!
If you know Russian, read here:http://www.therussianlescanadiensfan...opic.php?t=198

Old
12-01-2003, 01:56 PM
Howie Morenz

The 4th line really misses this guy. Did anybody think he was this valuable to the team? He may be an ugly skater but the consistent effort was always there.

Old
12-01-2003, 01:59 PM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larmar
Ward isn't checker. He can be new Steve Shatt in our team, if sombody give a chance for him!!!
If you know Russian, read here:http://www.therussianlescanadiensfan...opic.php?t=198
Agreed, people think of Ward as a checker because he's big, but he has always played on OFFENSIVE lines and he produced and was great. He led the AHL last season in points, and then you put him on a fourth line.. What's the deal? We have too many checkers already, play him on the offensive lines.

Old
12-01-2003, 02:04 PM
Maxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
Agreed, people think of Ward as a checker because he's big, but he has always played on OFFENSIVE lines and he produced and was great. He led the AHL last season in points, and then you put him on a fourth line.. What's the deal? We have too many checkers already, play him on the offensive lines.
I agree the problem at the start of the season was that they prefered playing Audette on the 2nd line and tossed Ward of the 4th line. Last season on the top 2 lines he managed to put up 5 points in 8 games, lets give him a chance to produce on the offensive lines shall we.

Old
12-01-2003, 02:05 PM
penopekoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
I'm not sure that he could produce on a top line in the NHL, although I would love to see him given a five game trial or something like that. Perhaps we could bump Perreault for awhile whne Ward gets back.

He could do it, but he really needs to prove himself.

Old
12-01-2003, 02:14 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
We don't have a second line right winger, until Ward gets back.

When Gainey speaks of wanting to evaluate the team before making any move, I think he's speaking in reference to Mr. Ward. Gainey is smart enough to realize that Ward has played well at every level. He owns everything Bob looks for in a player. We constantly see these reports from media outlets such as RDS, where Gainey is courting a talented body with size. Hello? Do they forget that we have the AHL's MVP on the injured list? Who gives a flying Richer whether or not he can skate, or that Anson Carter and Mark Parrish may be available, look at Ward and tell me he doesn't want to play.

Let's forget about his horrid skating style, his label as a underachiever, or the fact that he's 23-years-old. You can't deny his talent. I love Ryder as much as the rest of you, but if he, who came from the depths of the ECHL, is given such a golden oppurtunity, than goddammit I can't wait to see Wardo doing the exact same thing.

We know he can provide energy, penalty killing abilities, and some toughness, but that's only because noone has given him a chance, yet.

There's nothing Ward does that will negatively affect our team. He's only a positive.

Old
12-01-2003, 02:39 PM
BigM1ke

We are always asking for a big guy to play in our top 2 lines in Montreal.. A "power forward".. Well Jason Ward can be one of them.. He litteraly killed the AHL last year... I'm not saying he'll become a big power forward but I honestly think he diserves a chance (10 games on the top 2 lines at least)....

Let's give him some time... If Ryder has already 5 goals, why Ward couldn't do better?? He had better numbers in the AHL and is always giving a constant effort... We have nothing to lose!

Old
12-01-2003, 02:44 PM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
We don't have a second line right winger, until Ward gets back.

When Gainey speaks of wanting to evaluate the team before making any move, I think he's speaking in reference to Mr. Ward. Gainey is smart enough to realize that Ward has played well at every level. He owns everything Bob looks for in a player. We constantly see these reports from media outlets such as RDS, where Gainey is courting a talented body with size. Hello? Do they forget that we have the AHL's MVP on the injured list? Who gives a flying Richer whether or not he can skate, or that Anson Carter and Mark Parrish may be available, look at Ward and tell me he doesn't want to play.

Let's forget about his horrid skating style, his label as a underachiever, or the fact that he's 23-years-old. You can't deny his talent. I love Ryder as much as the rest of you, but if he, who came from the depths of the ECHL, is given such a golden oppurtunity, than goddammit I can't wait to see Wardo doing the exact same thing.

We know he can provide energy, penalty killing abilities, and some toughness, but that's only because noone has given him a chance, yet.

There's nothing Ward does that will negatively affect our team. He's only a positive.
I must say I have to agree with you. Ward may not be the prettiest skater in the world, but he gets from point A to point B. More important, he brings elements to our top lines which are absolutely critical (and often sadly lacking) especially when the centres on those lines barely come to Joe Thornton's armpits. Those elements are size, toughness, work ethic and decent scoring and playmaking abilities. This guy is vastly under-rated, and on the 4th line UNDERUTILIZED, IMHO.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:26 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke
If Ryder has already 5 goals, why Ward couldn't do better?? He had better numbers in the AHL and is always giving a constant effort... We have nothing to lose!
You can't base that on anything, how many players dominate in the AHL or even Junior/College better than some but can't do it in the NHL? Some players can carry that to the next level and some can't, plus Ryder is more of a pure goal scorer than Ward.

Ward can be an effective 3rd liner, I can't see him being anything more, sorry.

Just because you score 30 in Junior and 30 in the Minors doesn't mean you'll be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL too! Even Nick Kypreos scored 60 in the OHL one season, did that carry over? No.

Even if Ward can be a good effective checker that is great because you need those guys, beside we have a lot of younger and better talented offensive prospects that will be on the first two lines ahead of Ward, maybe even the 3rd line.

I hate to say it but I think Ward might be an injury prone type player for us like Benoit Brunet was, you never get to really see what they could do for you because as soon as they get hot they get injured and have to start all over again...I hope I'm wrong on the injury prone statement.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:35 PM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS

Ward can be an effective 3rd liner, I can't see him being anything more, sorry.
I guess I'd want to see Ward on one of the top lines for 20 games or so before I'd be willing to concede that point. Insofar as I'm aware, we haven't seen that yet. Hence, we're both making some pretty fundamental assumptions (me one way and you the other) without either of us having had the joy of being proved right or wrong. I'd at least like to see ONE of us proved right or wrong on this point.

As for the possibility of Ward being injury prone, I'm afraid, based on events to date, that you may be right. Like you, I hope we're BOTH wrong on that score, because I think this guy could be an important cog in the final machinery, although we're a long way from the final product yet.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:42 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing
As for the possibility of Ward being injury prone, I'm afraid, based on events to date, that you may be right. Like you, I hope we're BOTH wrong on that score, because I think this guy could be an important cog in the final machinery, although we're a long way from the final product yet.
Ward is much like Antropov, both are way to skinny for their size and I think that is why they get injured so much. Ward really needs to add bulk, he never has and I think he really needs a good program to follow to add that muscle and size to his frame.

I don't know how commited he is in the GYM or in the off season when it comes to adding much needed muscle?

Old
12-01-2003, 03:54 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Hey guys

I remember posting a topic a few weeks back where i said that we should try putting jason ward on a second line with hossa and ribs. BUT everybody jumped all over me and said Ward has no skill. NOW many of you agree that he should be put on the seond or first line, WOW???????

Old
12-01-2003, 04:03 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Hey guys

I remember posting a topic a few weeks back where i said that we should try putting jason ward on a second line with hossa and ribs. BUT everybody jumped all over me and said Ward has no skill. NOW many of you agree that he should be put on the seond or first line, WOW???????
One other guy agrees with you, but he hangs out on the ECHL board.

Old
12-01-2003, 04:06 PM
BLONG7

The Habs players all could take a lesson from Ward, he plays hard every shift... we need four or five guys like him, only without that funny skating stride.

Old
12-01-2003, 04:11 PM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
The Habs players all could take a lesson from Ward, he plays hard every shift... we need four or five guys like him, only without that funny skating stride.
No, we need 20 GUYS like him.

Old
12-01-2003, 04:14 PM
keemo905

Quote:
Originally Posted by penopekoo
I'm not sure that he could produce on a top line in the NHL, although I would love to see him given a five game trial or something like that. Perhaps we could bump Perreault for awhile whne Ward gets back.

He could do it, but he really needs to prove himself.

You can't put him on the second line as soon as he comes back... give him 10 games on the 4th lines to get his shape back and if he is doing well you reward is good effort by a trial on a second line with ribs and and Dagenais (or Hossa if Dagenais is not doing too well at that time).

I think he could be fine, but I see him more like a good 3rd line right wing on a good team.

Old
12-01-2003, 04:19 PM
Habs4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
One other guy agrees with you, but he hangs out on the ECHL board.
Yes i posted a topic like this about a month ago...

Everyone screamed at me for saying this... but when it comes down to it i think Jason ward could be a second liner in the nhl if given a chance!

Old
12-01-2003, 04:24 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

I want a Jason Ward on the 4th line for his grit and energy.

I want an other Jason Ward on the 3rd line for his strong defensive abilities and capacity to handle the big forwards along the boards.

I want a 3rd Jason Ward on the 2nd line for his physical play opening some room on the ice and his net crashing style.

And I'll have a small coke and some fries with those 3 Jason Ward please... To go. Thank you.

Old
12-01-2003, 05:30 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
I don't know how commited he is in the GYM or in the off season when it comes to adding much needed muscle?
I tend to agree with that. If Ward were 15 pounds heavier and a better skater he'd be a force. Rangy is okay, lanky isn't. He's borderline, coming in at barely over 200 lbs.

Those are two very big ifs, however.

By the way, he'll be 25 next month. That's not young. I think if he were going to be an offensive player for us he'd have shown us something by now. I don't think there's any reason to believe he will. He's got 10 NHL goals, for Pete's sake. Don't tell me a team like the Habs, that has been starving for a power forward for the last ten years, wouldn't have given him ample opportunity if he deserved it. Look at how long they've waited for Kilger.

There's nothing wrong with Wardo on line 4, though. I think he's great there, in fact. That he can step up and play on line three from time to time is a bonus, but we should be looking elsewhere for a regular, IMO.

Old
12-01-2003, 06:28 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
By the way, he'll be 25 next month. That's not young. I think if he were going to be an offensive player for us he'd have shown us something by now. I don't think there's any reason to believe he will. He's got 10 NHL goals, for Pete's sake. Don't tell me a team like the Habs, that has been starving for a power forward for the last ten years, wouldn't have given him ample opportunity if he deserved it. Look at how long they've waited for Kilger.
There's one thing you're overlooking completely however. Ward isn't the same player he was two years ago. It is not due to improved skills (well maybe a little) but to attitude and maturity. He didn't have it before. You even see it in interviews. Before he was shy, never speaking much, very low profile. I saw him this summer interviewed during Off the Record and he was very confident and spoke eloquently (and a lot). Jason Ward has finally put it all together mentally. That's what lacked for him all those years. Did you see him play when called up last year? This is not the same Jason Ward we saw 2 years ago. Therefore one should not look at his age like a proof of a stagnation in his development.

Old
12-01-2003, 06:59 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
All ice is home ice.

If he has all these attributes, and his skating is at least serviceable, then let him earn it over time. Chances are, he can be a decent 2nd liner if not now then in due course. Furthermore, if he does have it together mentally, then he can focus his summer training on lower body work, and get his skating beyond serviceable. I suspect that if we were to look at a Bertuzzi now vs a Bertuzzi when he was trade fodder, we'd find that the difference is improved skating over time. If Ward has the same attitude, he may not evolve into a Bertuzzi, but he might evolve in a manner comparable to Bertuzzi.

Old
12-01-2003, 07:13 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star

Thanks for the link. Great news, just hope he doesn't rush back too early and reinjur himself. Kilger and Sundstrom should start looking over their shoulder, if Ward is close to skating. If Kilger could just work as hard as Ward, he'd be a real force out there physically.

Closed Thread