HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why is Milroy never mentioned as a top prospect or call-up anymore?

Old
12-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Better With Age*

vCash: 500

I know he had a rough year last year and his development has been slower than others but he's the top point getter on the Dog's right now. Did we learn nothing from Ryder's slow development?

Better With Age* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Souray44

If we need a call up for the bottom lines he has Lapierre ahead of him and if we need one for the top lines it'd be Kostitsyn. He's not being looked over, it's just that there are better choices than him.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Ryder never got called up the year he tore up the AHL. He made the team out of camp the following year.

Duncan still has a ton to prove, but he is at least showing some signs of life finally this year. If he keeps playing well on the Dogs' top line with Kostitsyn and Grabovski this year, a strong training camp next fall will make him a top call-up without a doubt.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 06:09 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

He didn't fit the callup requirements? Lapierre was needed to fill for Begin, a centre, which Milroy isn't. Kostitsyn was called up because we needed a scoring left winger.. which Milroy isn't.

That being said he's probably 4th or 5th on my list.

12-21-2006, 06:13 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better With Age View Post
I know he had a rough year last year and his development has been slower than others but he's the top point getter on the Dog's right now. Did we learn nothing from Ryder's slow development?
Maybe he was never mention as a top prospect , because he never was one ?

He "s having a good start this season , and it 's something good , but before that , he allways has been deceptive , so i suppose that the management are waiting to see if he could keep the things for a while

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Better With Age*

Timmins is being interviewed in the intermission on CJAD radio. He mentioned how impressed they are with Milroy and the way he's turned things around. He said Milroy really committed himself to the offseason program they had for him and it's paying off.

Duncan will be a Hab one day...

Better With Age* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 07:37 PM
eddy

With the amount of dept the Habs have at forward it's not going to be easy for him. I'd say unless we get hit with the injury bug, let him dominate in the AHL for a year, he hasn't done that since junior, be good to get his confidence back. If he keeps it up all season a 2 game stint at the end to give him a taste would be good. He's defeintly back on the radar.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 08:22 PM
StanAjax

Doesn't he have to go on waivers if we call him up ?

Man, I hate that rule.

It's obviously not the reason why he hasn't been called up yet, but that's another thing preventing a tryout some day this season...

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 08:28 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Was he ever?

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax View Post
No, but he had to clear to start the season, and he could be subject to waivers again going back down if he was ever called up. Anyway, the off-season is the key for him. First, does he re-sign. Then, if we lose Bonk and Johnson and some other guys get bumped up to fill their spots, and Downey is gone, how will he fare in competition with Murray, Ferland (if he's back), Lapierre, etc in camp competition for a 4th line spot? At least, if he does re-sign a 2-way deal for the league minimum, he'll have that going for him in the competition. We ought to be jammed on the cap again, so anybody who comes in and can do the job cheap will have an advantage.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Mike8

Milroy's not being mentioned as a top prospect because he's a longshot prospect.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

The Habs can't hold on to all their prospects, but for every 1 who's released there will be 1.5-2 to replace him.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:43 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Yeah, like if Ryder was one of our top player now.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 10:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
Was he ever?
He sure was. At 17 he put up 92 pts on a good Swift Current team. He was tabbed a possible 1st rounder but I think he'll be more known for the playoffs and Memorial Cup run he had the year after he was drafted with Kootenay. There was the time in the 1st round 0-2 in the series and Milroy wrote a letter to the GM saying that they would win the series and they did just that, on the road led by Milroy.

But things didn't go well for him in Hamilton, he was too soft, stayed to the outside too much, wasn't involved in the play. This year he's turned it around, seems like he's got a lot more confidence and he's much more involved in the game now plus his skating/speed and conditioning have improved.

Quote:
The difference with Ryder is that he was named to the ECHL All Stars (and he only played 20 games), he was good in his 2nd year after spending around 7 games in the ECHL, during the last year of the Citadelles. Then when he was recalled to Hamilton in his 3rd year, he was great the MVP of the team imo and that's when Jason Ward was the MVP of the AHL, but imo Ryder was more impressive with his goal scoring (led the team)

Milroy has been a disappointment in Hamilton since day 1 during his three years. So it's understandable that he was not being discussed as a top prospect or call up. But this year he's been much better, the problem for him is the depth. Lapierre, Kostitsyn, Grabovski (I'm most impressed with him among all the dogs forwards), Ferland and Milroy. That's a lot of depth with Chipchura playing solid as well. Until injuries really hit, it's going to be hard for these guys to see time.

Quote:
The 75,000 rule is just for players that make over 75K, so if they are recalled, then he need to go through waivers and if a team picks them, the other team is on the hook for half their salary.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 02:36 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Coach Lever knows better than any of us about Milroy. If he feels he can perform at NHL level, he will let Gainey & Carbo know.

Is he only producing because he has two very talented linemates in Grabovsky and Kostitsyn ?

Quote:
Timmins is being interviewed in the intermission on CJAD radio. He mentioned how impressed they are with Milroy and the way he's turned things around. He said Milroy really committed himself to the offseason program they had for him and it's paying off.

Duncan will be a Hab one day...
...Or be used in a trade.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Marchy79

I like Duncan... I think he may just carve something nice out playing in a limited (lower line role)

I really like his zest for tight games... He has a bit of a gamebreaking mentality (shown in the WHL)... IMO he can become a 3rd line Stumpy Thomas guy (who uncannily scored a crap load of GW's)...

Hes above Ferland who IMO we are going to lose this summer...
I think if Gainey focuses on keeping the defence the same this summer, we may lose both Bonk, and Johnson...
That would open a chance up for Milroy, and LaPierre IMO...

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
I like Duncan... I think he may just carve something nice out playing in a limited (lower line role)

I really like his zest for tight games... He has a bit of a gamebreaking mentality (shown in the WHL)... IMO he can become a 3rd line Stumpy Thomas guy (who uncannily scored a crap load of GW's)...

Hes above Ferland who IMO we are going to lose this summer...
I think if Gainey focuses on keeping the defence the same this summer, we may lose both Bonk, and Johnson...
That would open a chance up for Milroy, and LaPierre IMO...
Are you suggesting Lapierre - in his first full season - would take over as the third line shut down center? If Bonk goes, IMO, the options for third line center are Tomas Plekanec or bringing someone else in. Lapierre will hopefully be ready for that role some day (as will Chipchura), but not quite yet.

If we do lose Bonk and Johnson, but with a thinking of no trades happening that affect our forwards, we're left with:

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Samsonov - XXX - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Plekanec - YYY
Latendresse - Lapierre - Begin

XXX is a spot that Grabovski could earn. Latendresse will be ready for a top 6 spot, but barring a trade, there isnt much room. YYY is a spot that Milroy could conceivably earn with a very strong camp. But let's not forget Kostitsyn will be looking for a place on the team as well.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Are you suggesting Lapierre - in his first full season - would take over as the third line shut down center? If Bonk goes, IMO, the options for third line center are Tomas Plekanec or bringing someone else in. Lapierre will hopefully be ready for that role some day (as will Chipchura), but not quite yet.

If we do lose Bonk and Johnson, but with a thinking of no trades happening that affect our forwards, we're left with:

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Samsonov - XXX - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Plekanec - YYY
Latendresse - Lapierre - Begin

XXX is a spot that Grabovski could earn. Latendresse will be ready for a top 6 spot, but barring a trade, there isnt much room. YYY is a spot that Milroy could conceivably earn with a very strong camp. But let's not forget Kostitsyn will be looking for a place on the team as well.
Well, we wont know about Laps playing 3rd line until we try it out... I do know he certainly was pretty impressive in his call up. If he played like that, he can do much better than bottom 2 lines, but I believe if we look at Lapierres Tenacity, he can certainly fill a third line role in the NHL... even as early as next year

Who knows, I could be wrong, either way, its all good Future looks so bright, I still can't see through my raybans

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
Is he only producing because he has two very talented linemates in Grabovsky and Kostitsyn ?
I don't think so. Sure, it helps that he plays on a line with them at the moment. Look at how Lapierre and Stortinis point production dropped off once Kostitsyn left their line. Having one, let alone 2 players of that quality on a line will help anyone else out there with them, but plenty of credit also has to be given to Milroy. He arrived at camp in the best shape of his career. I think Timmins mentioned that, as well as Lever and the Dogs commentary team. He put in a lot of work over the summer by the sounds of it and it has helped him so far. He complements Grabs/AK nicely and helps them produce too. And off the top of my head, I dont think he started the season on a line with either of them (although I'd have to check the Hamilton thread to be sure) so he managed to produce anyways. He's been a little quieter recently, but he'll find his way back to good form. He is given ice time in every situation which speaks well of how he is playing, how he is regarded by his coach and as a result, he will have plenty of opportunities to produce in the future. Still got a fair bit of work to do to be considered for an NHL roster spot, but at least he is heading in the right direction.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 06:13 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
The 75,000 rule is just for players that make over 75K, so if they are recalled, then he need to go through waivers and if a team picks them, the other team is on the hook for half their salary.
Okay. I didn't know about that 75K rule. Or maybe you already explained it and I forgot.

Is there any way to know the salaries of AHL players though ?

Milroy did little to earn a good second contract in his rookie one, but he's still a former 2nd round pick...

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 08:06 PM
JD1

I was at the last two games in Winnipeg this week

Kostishyn (sp?) is clearly the best player on that squad and I was pretty impressed with D'agostini.

MIlroy was hardly noticeable.

Biron looked awful. Very slow.

JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote