HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Sabres crush Nashville

Old
12-21-2006, 10:54 PM
LesHabsRock

vCash: 500
OT: Sabres crush Nashville

Sabres just defeated Nashville in their rink 7-2. This was a game IMO that wasn't only important to Buffalo, but to other Eastern Conference teams. The reason is it shows where our best stand agaisnt the best of the West. Our Habs are 4-1 vs West opponents this year. I believe the Habs play Nashville in February. They also play Detroit on January 15 in Detroit. I'm going to that game . You just hear a lot about the West having the better teams this year. Buffalo stuck it to one of their best tonight.

League rankings by point totals as of now:
Anaheim 60 pts
Buffalo 52 pts
Nashville 49 pts
San Jose 48 pts
Montreal 47 pts
Atlanta 46 pts

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Sabres just defeated Nashville in their rink 7-2. This was a game IMO that wasn't only important to Buffalo, but to other Eastern Conference teams. The reason is it shows where our best stand agaisnt the best of the West. Our Habs are 4-1 vs West opponents this year. I believe the Habs play Nashville in February. They also play Detroit on January 15 in Detroit. I'm going to that game . You just hear a lot about the West having the better teams this year. Buffalo stuck it to one of their best tonight.

League rankings by point totals as of now:
Anaheim 60 pts
Buffalo 52 pts
Nashville 49 pts
San Jose 48 pts
Montreal 47 pts
Atlanta 46 pts
To be fair, Nashville did play last night as well.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:02 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Personally my ranking of the NHL's best teams would be as follows:

Anaheim
San Jose
Buffalo
Montreal/Nashville (tie)

12-21-2006, 11:03 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
******* you, Nashville...a win tonight would've really helped us out.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:05 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
******* you, Nashville...a win tonight would've really helped us out.
Funny how I don't talk about what could have been rather what the facts are. The fact is Buffalo (best in the East right now) played the second best in the West and beat them handily. This may guage what we can expect from the West if the Habs make it to the finals and play San Jose, Nashville, or Anaheim. I'm not saying to expect East teams to blow the West away, but just to prove to the naysayers that the West isn't so dominant as one might think over the East.

Old
12-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
To Nashville's defense, Michael "I suck" Leighton was in net. This was to be semi-expected. He looked pretty terrible.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
To Nashville's defense, Michael "I suck" Leighton was in net. This was to be semi-expected. He looked pretty terrible.
Mason started the game and was pulled after allowing 5 goals.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:12 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
Mason started the game for them and let in 5 goals. Mason has been stellar this year. Leighton finished the game allowing 2 more goals against. Shots were
36-31 Sabres

Old
12-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

Mason was probably tired after that huge game last night.

Bobby Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:20 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatTraverse View Post
Mason was probably tired after that huge game last night.
Yeah, that's why they lost. They were tired. Any team who plays back to back nights can expect to lose 7-2

Old
12-21-2006, 11:27 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah, that's why they lost. They were tired. Any team who plays back to back nights can expect to lose 7-2
We seem to lose on most back-to-backs.. and we actually play a different goaltender. Back-to-back games for a goalie would be very taxing, especially since the team is already going to be tired, and likely letting more shots through.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Since all the west teams do not play all the east teams, I dont think its fair to judge which conference is better.

The scheduling is also imbalanced. We dont see the top teams from each conference play each other enough to get an accurate gauge.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:29 PM
speed11

nashville is better than that, they looked tired as did Mason to start the game, and buffalo's last 2 gls were sorta flukes so the score is a bit mis-leading.

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:35 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Since all the west teams do not play all the east teams, I dont think its fair to judge which conference is better.

The scheduling is also imbalanced. We dont see the top teams from each conference play each other enough to get an accurate gauge.
This year, the top teams from the two conferences don't even play each other as the Northeast doesn't play the Pacific.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2006, 11:43 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
nashville is better than that, they looked tired as did Mason to start the game, and buffalo's last 2 gls were sorta flukes so the score is a bit mis-leading.
Ok, so they go from 7-2 to 5-2...minus the fluke goals just for you Buffalo also may have been hingrier for the win as they lost back to back for the first time and new they were up against one of the NHL's best. They had all the intangibles going for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

Very true. It's just nice to see (even for one game) how they stack up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
This year, the top teams from the two conferences don't even play each other as the Northeast doesn't play the Pacific.
Sad isn't it. I would love to see our Habs play the Sharks or Ducks, but they do play the Preds and Wings.

Last edited by montreal: 12-21-2006 at 11:54 PM.
Old
12-22-2006, 12:01 AM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

If Vokoun is out long term, Nashville will be in the hunt for a goalie because Chris Mason and Mike Leighton just ain't it. They are right where they should be on the depth chart when Vokoun is there, but they can't move up. That is, Chris Mason will be a dependable NHL backup, and Leighton will be a veteran in the AHL.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:51 AM
TomPlex

Quote:
Sad isn't it. I would love to see our Habs play the Sharks or Ducks
And you will...

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 01:19 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
If Vokoun is out long term, Nashville will be in the hunt for a goalie because Chris Mason and Mike Leighton just ain't it. They are right where they should be on the depth chart when Vokoun is there, but they can't move up. That is, Chris Mason will be a dependable NHL backup, and Leighton will be a veteran in the AHL.
Mason has been tearing it up if you single out this outing against the Sabres. It happen when goalies play too many games in a row and it happened to Huet this season.

Buffalo just lost to Montreal by a big margin at home, my guess is that Lindy Ruff kicked some butts to get things back on track. Kudos to them because Nashville is a heck of a team.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 01:44 AM
Tachycineta

btw, every team has its share of back to backs and Nashville was 7-0-1 in back to backs this season before playing Buffalo. Pretty impressive if you ask me. Anyways, it is a fair suggestion that the reason the game seemed so lopsided was that the Preds were tired. Still does not change the result. Also, I am glad I had an exam 7-10 Tuesday so I did not have to watch the Habs kick butt but seriously, I am happily impressed that the Habs have the 2nd most points in the east and have games in hand on Atlanta. It is too bad that one of Buffalo or Montreal will have to get the 4th seed this season.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 02:27 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Mason has been tearing it up if you single out this outing against the Sabres. It happen when goalies play too many games in a row and it happened to Huet this season.

Buffalo just lost to Montreal by a big margin at home, my guess is that Lindy Ruff kicked some butts to get things back on track. Kudos to them because Nashville is a heck of a team.
Looks like the Cup is down to us, Buffalo and Anaheim, eh?

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 02:28 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I just watched the highlights from that game...Nichols crushed Jaroslav Spacek's jaw with a blatant cheapshot

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 02:33 AM
As the Glorious Weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
And you will...
yeah, 4-7 hard fought games.

As the Glorious Weep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 08:07 AM
zman

BTW, Biron played in the nets for Buffalo. His first action in a month.

After watching every Sabres game this year, it's clear that Montreal and Ottawa are the best teams Buffalo has played. No one else gives them any trouble whatsoever. Either that or they just have the Sabres' number this year. The Habs have equal speed and a deadly PP. Ottawa just has the karma over Buffalo probably in revenge of last years playoffs.

zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Habitants

Quote:
in addition, with vokoun injusred mason has started more than a fair share of games, without much releif. he has been good, and he has shown he can be great at times, but by no means is he yet a starting goaltender ready to start 60+ games..

as for buffalo blowing them out of the water? what did you expect? they just lost 2 in a row for the first time, and they were clearly frustrated after we handed them that convincing loss. so they came out hard and the coach had them going, this was a game they were not going to loose. just like how we came out against buffalo one night and said "we need" to beat these guys and everyone worked hard and we did and then again against philly to make sure we would not repeat the past loss to them.

besides i dont know if you noticed, but buffalo is clearly top 3 team this year, and they have rediculous fire power up front i am totaly not suprised that they took out nashville that bad, especially if they came out hard and surprised them for some early goal to deflate the nashville team and crowd.

furthurmore, after sitting on the bench for a month biron played a good game, i knew after their loss to us, biron would surely get that start. not suprising either that he did so well, he wants to play and he can play well, so he brought his A game. i would not be surprised if they started him in a couple more games, and he got them onto a winning streak...

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Tachycineta

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Looks like the Cup is down to us, Buffalo and Anaheim, eh?
Down to MTL or Anaheim if ottawa finds its way into the 8th seed if BUF is still in first....

Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote