HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

why Hamil Not in top 10

Old
12-21-2006, 11:59 PM
fullspeed

vCash: 500
why Hamil Not in top 10

Hamil has soft hands super skilled has great vision and competes like a Dog out their why so far back to Kane and Gagne???? Is the WEST not scouted enough to push these kids up.

fullspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

The first time I saw Zach Hamill was when he was a 15 year old playing in the playoffs for Everett. That was the last time I saw playoff hockey, he scored the overtime winner in the series winning game 4 here in Spokane. Since then I've watched him very closely, and I have absolutely no clue why he's not ranked higher. Especially considering he's a center on a Kevin Constantine coached team, he is defensively responsible as well.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 09:10 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Not a good job by the scouting services.

Hamill is a fine player and when it is all said and done will go between 15-20 this coming draft. His ability to play sound two-way hockey is first rate. However, he is more likely to be a wicked second liner than a first liner, not saying he can not become a first liner - he very much can. Maybe that is why he is low on scouting services' top 30. But dont worry about them. Hamill will go between 15-20, book it!

12-24-2006, 01:19 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Reasons why I consider this draft deep and not top heavy: Guys like Hamill/Repik/Hickey/Sutter will be available in the 20's.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 02:42 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slave View Post

Hamill is a fine player and when it is all said and done will go between 15-20 this coming draft. His ability to play sound two-way hockey is first rate. However, he is more likely to be a wicked second liner than a first liner, not saying he can not become a first liner - he very much can. Maybe that is why he is low on scouting services' top 30. But dont worry about them. Hamill will go between 15-20, book it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slave View Post

"Book it" makes my blood curdle.

Hamill a future first-line NHLer? Perhaps if they discontinue the draft.

Let's have alook at a few of the weaker teams:

Chicago - Ruutu Toews Bolland- is he going to be better than one of those three? Not the first two for sure.

Washington - Backstrom Sutherby Klepis Gordon

Pittsburgh - Crosby Malkin Staal

St. Louis - Cajanek Oshie Berglund Kana Soderberg

Phoenix - Comrie Mueller Hanzal

Florida - Jokinen Weiss Horton/Olesz Frolik

Minny - Bouchard Koivu Sheppard

Boston - Bergeron Savard Stastny Marchand Krejci

LA - Kopitar Cammalleri Lewis

Edm - Stoll Pouliot Cogliano

Clb - Brule Brassard Fritsche

Col - Stastny Stoa Burki

vcr - Sedin Kesler

tor - Wellwood Tlusty Steen Stajan

and those are the weakers teams - here's what Hamill would be up against if drafted by the Habs (somewhere in the 20s) in the first round:

mtl - Plekanec Grabovsky Maxwell Chipchura White Lapierre

Let's compare him to a couple of fellow WHLers - Is Hamill a better prospect than Ben Maxwell? Not to me. Is he better than White?

What if Koivu sticks around for another five or six years, which is a possibility? If you ask me, Hamill would be a longshot to ever crack Montreal's top two lines; same thing with White, who to me is a better player than Hamill, who has three years of WHL playoff experience under his belt compared to White's two years. White is only six months older than Hamill, and has less WHL experience, yet he is a far better all-around player IMO. White is also a longshot to ever be a top two center with the Habs.

I'm just curious how one can think Hamill will one day be a wicked second line center in the NHL, or a first line center?

Last season was his third competing in the WHL playoffs, and essentially when the Giants started to get physical in their second round series with Everett, Hamill did a disappearing act. It was noted by more than a few NHL scouts I can assure you.

In 46 career playoff games Hamill has 8 goals - for a small player who is not overly agressive and a perimeter player when the going gets tough, those are not the junior totals usually seen by a future "wicked" NHL second liner.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 03:25 PM
#1GuinFan

vCash: 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
"Book it" makes my blood curdle.

Hamill a future first-line NHLer? Perhaps if they discontinue the draft.

Let's have alook at a few of the weaker teams:

Chicago - Ruutu Toews Bolland- is he going to be better than one of those three? Not the first two for sure.

Washington - Backstrom Sutherby Klepis Gordon

Pittsburgh - Crosby Malkin Staal

Phoenix - Comrie Mueller Hanzal

Florida - Jokinen Weiss Horton/Olesz Frolik

Minny - Bouchard Koivu Sheppard

Boston - Bergeron Savard Stastny Marchand Krejci

LA - Kopitar Cammalleri Lewis

Edm - Stoll Pouliot Cogliano

Clb - Brule Brassard Fritsche

Col - Stastny Stoa Burki

vcr - Sedin Kesler

tor - Wellwood Tlusty Steen Stajan

and those are the weakers teams - here's what Hamill would be up against if drafted by the Habs (somewhere in the 20s) in the first round:

mtl - Plekanec Grabovsky Maxwell Chipchura White Lapierre

Let's compare him to a couple of fellow WHLers - Is Hamill a better prospect than Ben Maxwell? Not to me. Is he better than White?

What if Koivu sticks around for another five or six years, which is a possibility? If you ask me, Hamill would be a longshot to ever crack Montreal's top two lines; same thing with White, who to me is a better player than Hamill, who has three years of WHL playoff experience under his belt compared to White's two years. White is only six months older than Hamill, and has less WHL experience, yet he is a far better all-around player IMO. White is also a longshot to ever be a top two center with the Habs.

I'm just curious how one can think Hamill will one day be a wicked second line center in the NHL, or a first line center?

Last season was his third competing in the WHL playoffs, and essentially when the Giants started to get physical in their second round series with Everett, Hamill did a disappearing act. It was noted by more than a few NHL scouts I can assure you.

In 46 career playoff games Hamill has 8 goals - for a small player who is not overly agressive and a perimeter player when the going gets tough, those are not the junior totals usually seen by a future "wicked" NHL second liner.
bingo.

I'm not sold on him either, in fact I wouldn't take him in the first round. There are those within the agencies who do like him however. he's just one of those players that you either like or don't like.

#1GuinFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 05:34 PM
FC

Hamill's style of play really reminds me of Konstantin Pushkarev's. At his peak Id venture he'll be a fairly good 2nd line player.

FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 06:03 PM
Form and Substance

I thought his effort level wasn't there or something? I really don't know.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 09:31 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
If Hamill were to be drafted by the Blues, his competition would be Berglund and Soderberg.

Cajanek is probably gone at the deadline.

Oshie and Kana will both probably play on the wing in this system.

I'd take both Berglund and Soderberg over Hamill right now, but Hamill has one advantage in that he's already in North America, and probably won't high-tail it back to Europe if he gets assigned to Peoria to start his pro career.

I'm concerned about the lack of physicality, but not every player has to be physical to be effective, and there are several physical players with the skill level to play in the NHL already in the Blues' system. Hamill won't have a Dave Semeko if he comes to the Blues, but he will have a David Backes and a DJ King to flank him, if need be. Hamill and Backes might also work with Kana on the LW.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Zach Hamill, like Peter Mueller and every other player to play for the 'Tips, maybe with the exception of their defense, which seems to score plenty, would be a higher point guy if he played for someone other than Constantin.

If he played for Don Hay in Vancouver and put up a third more points, then would everyone consider him a top 10 pick...?

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 08:22 AM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
If Hamill were to be drafted by the Blues, his competition would be Berglund and Soderberg.

Cajanek is probably gone at the deadline.

Oshie and Kana will both probably play on the wing in this system.

I'd take both Berglund and Soderberg over Hamill right now, but Hamill has one advantage in that he's already in North America, and probably won't high-tail it back to Europe if he gets assigned to Peoria to start his pro career.

I'm concerned about the lack of physicality, but not every player has to be physical to be effective, and there are several physical players with the skill level to play in the NHL already in the Blues' system. Hamill won't have a Dave Semeko if he comes to the Blues, but he will have a David Backes and a DJ King to flank him, if need be. Hamill and Backes might also work with Kana on the LW.

P_B

Cajanek was a poor example you're right. St. Louis is one of the teams that could possibly pencil Hamill in as a top two center in the future if Oshie is moved to the wing, but I'd bet a large amount of money on them preferring Turris, Espo, Couture and Gagner over Hamill. They won't be picking Hamill with their first choice so it's a moot point.

No disrespect, but if you think a line of Hamill, Kana and Backes would be a competitive NHL first line in the future, the Blues are going to be in the basement for a long time.

What I also didn't mention in my first post is that Hamill will be competing against Gagner, Espo, Turris, Sutter, Couture, Cormier, Tavares, Stamkos and all of the other undrafted centers in the future for top line center spots in the NHL in addition to all of the centers I already listed. Tavares and Stamkos are already better than Hamill.

Personally I don't see Hamill's ceiling as being anything more than a second line center on an average team at the NHL level. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I see at least 60 centers either playing in the NHL or on their way there that I would prefer over Zach.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 03:58 PM
DelVecchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
Zach Hamill, like Peter Mueller and every other player to play for the 'Tips, maybe with the exception of their defense, which seems to score plenty, would be a higher point guy if he played for someone other than Constantin.

If he played for Don Hay in Vancouver and put up a third more points, then would everyone consider him a top 10 pick...?

Scouts don't make their decisions/recommendations based on Stats. That's why they go to the games.

DelVecchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Cajanek was a poor example you're right. St. Louis is one of the teams that could possibly pencil Hamill in as a top two center in the future if Oshie is moved to the wing, but I'd bet a large amount of money on them preferring Turris, Espo, Couture and Gagner over Hamill. They won't be picking Hamill with their first choice so it's a moot point.
I'd certainly look at all four of those players, too... but if the Blues continue to play as well as they've been playing since Andy Murray took over, a move out of "lottery-pick" draft position is a distinct possibility. If the Blues end up picking somewhere around tenth overall, Hamill could very well be the best of the centers left.

Quote:
No disrespect, but if you think a line of Hamill, Kana and Backes would be a competitive NHL first line in the future, the Blues are going to be in the basement for a long time.
Where did I ever say that this would be the Blues' first line at any point?

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote