HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL set to realign divisions?

Old
12-22-2006, 12:45 PM
R A D I C K

vCash: 500
NHL set to realign divisions?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=189350&hubname=nhl

It would put the Preds in this division:

Chicago
St Louis
Detroit
Columbus
Nashville
Minnesota
Dallas

Other 8 teams make up the other Western division. Top two teams from each division + 4 wildcards.

R A D I C K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

So the other division is:

Colorado
Edmonton
Vancouver
Anaheim
Phoenix
Calgary
Los Angeles
San Jose

Yikes!

12-22-2006, 01:47 PM
Mellifleur

I like the idea of making sure you play everybody in the other conference at least once. As for the rest... meh... 15 teams in each conference makes for an uneven split with a 2 division re-alignment... What say we just hatchet out 2 teams, one from each conference and have 28 teams...

Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOni View Post
I like the idea of making sure you play everybody in the other conference at least once. As for the rest... meh... 15 teams in each conference makes for an uneven split with a 2 division re-alignment... What say we just hatchet out 2 teams, one from each conference and have 28 teams...
Bettman needs to do something about Doug MacLean having a GM job with any team in the NHL

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 06:41 PM
R A D I C K

The thing is, I'm not sure the Commissioner is even allowed to realign the divisions unilaterally. It depends on what's in the league constitution. Selig tried to do this several years ago with the Cubs, but the courts denied him from doing so on the grounds that it violated the NL constitution to force a team to switch leagues. Now switching leagues isn't the same as switching divisions, but if the constitution gives the teams any rights in this area it might be a problem.

That being said, it would certainly be allowed if every owner agreed to the realignment. Furthermore, the fact that the divisions were realigned previously suggests that the commissioner may be allowed to do this on his own.

My only recommendation would be that we go back to having real names for the divisions like in the days before realignment. (aka Norris, Calder) Hockey is one of the few leagues that honors its past by naming awards, etc. after influential hockey figures. It would be nice to see some real division names brought back in.

R A D I C K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Skid

any idea on the way the east would stack up?

Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid17 View Post
any idea on the way the east would stack up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN
# The current Northeast Division (Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo and Boston) would remain intact and add two other teams to form a seven-team division. Sources say Pittsburgh is one of those teams that would join the Northeast teams.
# The current Atlantic Division (the three New York area teams plus Philadelphia) would be melded together with four teams from the current Southeast Division (all but one of Washington, Carolina, Atlanta, Tampa Bay and Florida).

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 11:59 PM
C-J Carlson

I think the league is looking at the uneven divisions this would create as an opportunity to add two more teams to the league. There are at least a half-dozen cities that have some interest in an NHL franchise. (Was it Kansas City that just built a huge brand new arena? They'd be first in line for consideration by the league for a team.) Each new team would bring the league a lot of money. (What is it now? $100 million for a franchise today?)

Anyhoo...

C-J Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote