HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL considering more changes!

Old
12-22-2006, 01:23 PM
DontStaal

vCash: 500
NHL considering more changes!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=189350&hubname=nhl

Quote:
The NHL is considering a significant overhaul of the face of the league that includes realignment and a reduction in the number of divisions from six to four. Sources tell TSN that six

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Tuxman

they are trying to make changes where changes are not needed. eventually it will be like the NBA, with just east and west. sux

they should spend that much time looking at horrible refereeing

Tuxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Fletch

Hmmm...

Did someone say Campbell Conference? Prince of Wales Conference? Patrick, Adams, Smythe and Norris divisions? I'd start to like Bettman if he brought back those names.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 02:57 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=189350&hubname=nhl

Quote:
The NHL has been trying for weeks to tinker with its schedule configuration, but is now considering a significant overhaul of the face of the league that includes realignment and a reduction in the number of divisions from six to four.
Quote:
The current Northeast Division (Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo and Boston) would remain intact and add two other teams to form a seven-team division. Sources say Pittsburgh is one of those teams that would join the Northeast teams.
The current Atlantic Division (the three New York area teams plus Philadelphia) would be melded together with four teams from the current Southeast Division (all but one of Washington, Carolina, Atlanta, Tampa Bay and Florida).

I brought this up in the Penguins relocate thread cause i thought it might be related if they do go to another city. Cant tell as of yet if its gonna happen but having 8 teams in the division kinda blows.

That Division Banner will mean alot more for sure.

Didnt they say a year or two ago that they were going to change the format of the playoffs???

They said that the top 10 teams from each conference would make it, but the then they would have a mini-play-in tourney with 3 game series - where the 7th seed would play the 10th and the 8th would play the 9th - and then those winners fill in the 7th and 8th spots for the regular format.

I dont know. I just dont know.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Sometimes I think they make changes for the sake of making changes.........what exactly does this do to improve the league besides save the league and owners money on travel?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 03:56 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Sometimes I think they make changes for the sake of making changes.........what exactly does this do to improve the league besides save the league and owners money on travel?
I think some of this has to do with all the players and coaches in the West *****ing about all the travel too. Not sur eif its all money, but knowing bettman haivng the two divisions should help the TV revenues, and who knows whats going on behind closed doors in the NHL offices. They might be negotiating an upcoming deal with ESPN or something, because i doubt they are gonna stay with Versus again after that contract is up.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 04:08 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
zero

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Bettman sucks. I'd like to crosscheck that guy with a Scott Stevens' type fury....

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 04:24 PM
AustinHockeyFan

There's definitely another issue at work out here in the Western Conference, and that's television viewership and starting times. With the schedule presently weighted toward divisional play, this poses issues for some franchises.

Take the Dallas Stars, for instance: all 4 of their division rivals are in the Pacific time zone, with the exception of Phoenix. This leaves a large number of games being played that are starting 1-2 hours early (or late, depending on your time zone/affiliation).

This may not seem like a big deal, but many of the weekday games that start at 9:30 at night and wrap up at midnight are inconvenient for a lot of working people, and they hurt television viewership. With the division rivalries aligned on the principle of time zones, it brings more regularity to the television schedule, greater convenience to the fans, and well, it becomes a lot easier to plan the game into your week.

Again, in divisions like the Atlantic, this may not seem like a big deal. But it would be a major help in the Western Conference as a whole, where teams are much more spread out geographically. Anything that gives the NHL more mass media appeal, while helping the fan, deserves a good look. The system's been broken for years out here, and I'm glad the NHL is considering fixing it.

Last edited by AustinHockeyFan: 12-22-2006 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Edited for grammar
AustinHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 05:23 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

Awesome post Austin. I was gonna say pretty much exactly what you did. Your Dallas analogy hit the nail on the head. I'm all for the changes & feel the current status quo a bit long in the tooth (i.e., boring).

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i think its a good move to be honest. Its annoying that a team like the Rangers could have the #3 seed because they won their division, yet the 4th place team could have 10 points more.

if you go down to 2 divisions per conference the likelyhood of the top 8 dilling out in order of points is much higher.

though they cant have the 8 games per division rival anymore though, which is a good thing if you ask me, WAY too many games like that.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Best "new" idea the NHL has had in years.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 06:21 PM
Kendo

Why not have 3 divisions of 8 and the "original 6" division?

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 06:24 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

here comes expansion

make no bones about it. The sole purpose will be to add two more teams to get to 32 teams and four 8 team divisions. Another padding of the owners pocket books and another dilution of the talent pool.

Gary Bettman is he worst thing that ever happened to the NHL if you are a fan.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 06:25 PM
vbox81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Did someone say Campbell Conference? Prince of Wales Conference? Patrick, Adams, Smythe and Norris divisions? I'd start to like Bettman if he brought back those names.
<Bettman>Great idea, I love your enthusiasm, but it's not what the american fans we're trying to attract would understand, mr. fletch.</Bettman>

vbox81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 06:29 PM
Greg B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxman View Post
they are trying to make changes where changes are not needed. eventually it will be like the NBA, with just east and west. sux

they should spend that much time looking at horrible refereeing
Actually, the NBA is exactly the same as the NHL- six divisions of five teams each.

I do like the idea of reducing the divisions and thus not playing 32 of 82 games against the same four teams, and I do like that this could eliminate the possibility of having a 4-5 matchup of two strong teams with a weak three seed.

But I do wonder how they could assimilate the Southeast teams with the other 10 East teams, who are all tucked into the Northeast (although Pittsburgh may not be for much longer.)

Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 06:53 PM
XploD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Best "new" idea the NHL has had in years.
Exactly. Why is everyone whining about this? It's a great and needed move.

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 06:58 PM
skymachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by XploD View Post
Exactly. Why is everyone whining about this? It's a great and needed move.
Agreed. The only changes Id like to see are the NHL going back to some of their older, better ways.

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 08:47 PM
mrhockey193195

I don't mind whether they do this or not...the only thing I'm concerned with is the fact that two divisions would have 8 teams and the other two 7. I wish there was a way to even the playing field.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 09:11 PM
KFC

I'd like them to get rid of the points system while they're at it... I'm a wins and losses kind of guy. I like what i see with the NBA(plays a similar or same number of games as the NHL), MLB, and NFL in regards to that. And as a bonus there would be no overtime losses, which I would personally love because that would make overtime and shootouts even more exciting (i've never liked the idea of rewarding a team who just lost the game).

I realize this will never happen but its my dream.

KFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
I don't mind whether they do this or not...the only thing I'm concerned with is the fact that two divisions would have 8 teams and the other two 7. I wish there was a way to even the playing field.
That's easy, throw out the two weakest franchises.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Choice

I'd like to see them go back to the old way of two divisions with the top four teams in each division making the playoffs and have first play fourth, etc.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 11:15 PM
xander

can't say i'm all gung ho about interdivision rivalries with florida, tampa, carolina, and washington. They're just not what I think of when I think of the Ranger's rivals.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 11:20 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Not sure about this, but I have a feeling that if they go back to the 4 dividion set up, they will go back to the divisional playoff set-up as well which would be a very very VERY good thing.

I can't say enough about how that would instantainously re-generate the blood hatred that was oh so evident between Calgary and Edmonton, Chicago and Detroit, Montreal and Boston, Rangers and Flyers.

Now we can get some of these newer teams involved in the fracas. Tampa and Florida, Thrashers and Ottawa, San Jose and Anaheim, Minnesota and Nashville

I'm telling you, for the folks that are older enough to remember what a Divisional Banner meant? it was something special. Fou you younger guys, you missed out on some really heated, and I mean heated playoffs series.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 11:34 PM
ap215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I'm with you i wish those names were back today.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote