HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larry Brooks-Rucinsky/Rangers IIII?

Old
12-23-2006, 03:03 PM
NYFAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I'm not there behind the scenes in the Rangers locker room so I don't know if it's true. But this wouldn't be the first time we've heard about certain player acquisitions to keep Jagr happy. Is it fake or true? Well it's annoying both ways. If Brooks and others are blaming certain player trades on Jagr's needs, then that's a load of ****. If Jagr really does need this type of player group around him, then that bugs me as well. I'm not saying which one is true; for me they're both bad situations.
Why are all of you so shocked by this? How quickly you seem to forget all the accomodations that were made for Messier. Don't think for one second he wasn't behind alot of those moves that were made, wether initiated by him, or run by him for his opinion, the roster was full of people he signed off on with a yes or no. Its no different now with Jagr, and I find it sad that so many seem to bash the guy who basically single handedly has brought excitement back to the Garden ice. Perhaps you guys need a refresher course, or the return of Ron Lowe!

NYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Not sure what purpose Cajanek would serve.
none...

If the Rangers are going to get another 3rd/4th line center (btw I don't believe these rumors nor do i think the Rangers should be targeting the St Louis FORWARDS) at least get a guy who is good on faceoffs...

Frankly i think Immonen adds more than Cajanek and I'm not a big fan of Immonen.

Just to touch on the Rucinsky thing it's short sighted. Rucinsky ripped the Rangers when he left...
http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...to_go_4th.html
Quote:
In a hokej.cz interview, Rucinsky says that he called Jagr "first thing in the morning" to tell him he was sorry about leaving, "and it greatly displeased him." He said of negotiating with the Rangers: "Gradually I started to lose interest. Dealing with them was [wretched, miserbale, worthless?]. I liked it there, but I just couldn't negotiate with management." He chose St. Louis in part because he knows JD so well. Hockey Rodent has a translation of a Denik Sport interview in which Rucinksy says that the Rangers did not want to give him a two-year deal at his age because of the 35 year old salary cap rule -- good move by Ranger management.
Rucinsky wanted to return here..The Rangers balked at giving him a two year contract. According to Delinpina

Quote:
Martin Rucinsky no longer is seeking a two-year deal from the Rangers. But the veteran winger, who wants to play only in New York, remains unsigned and now is being asked to accept a cut from the $3 million he made last season.

"Basically, it's in the hands of Glen (Sather)," agent Petr Svoboda said yesterday. "We spoke this morning and he said he still wants to sign Marty. But if he does, he'll have to do some fancy footstepping."

The Rangers offered Rucinsky a one-year deal weeks ago at a modest raise over the $3 million he made last season. The 35-year-old winger initially demurred, preferring a two-year deal. But when he saw that few free agents 35 or over have been signed to multiyear contracts, Rucinsky relented.
On WFAN http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...s_radio_r.html

Renney said this about Rucinsky

Quote:
Will Martin Rucinsky be back to fill out the top two lines? Renney suggested strongly that that depends on whether he's willing to accept a lesser role and the lower remuneration that comes with it. "It is a business, we recognize that. It does depend on the dollar figure. If we can get him in the fold, great. If not, as the saying goes, one man's fate is another man's fortune -- someone inside our organization would like to get that opportunity to give it a go. If not, someone else from outside.

"All things being equal, we'd like to have Martin back," he stressed. "Marty played very well for us last year -- as much as he was injured, he was pretty much a point a game. If you look at [playoff] teams, they seem to be able to get it done from a number of different locations in the line-up. We need to see that in our line-up too, beyond the first line. We need secondary or even third line scoring. Martin would really help us to that end."
The Rangers wanted Rucinsky back as a 3rd line player. Brooks is so full of crap..In 3 months the Rangers have changed there minds about not only the contract but the role Rucinsky would have? I don't think so...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 03:27 PM
FACEMAN

If he only had this year left on the contract, maybe it would make sense. But next year, c'mon no way.

FACEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 04:20 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yizee View Post
anyone remember the NHL draft show a couple years ago and they showed a clip of a young kid being interviewed by Tom Renney I think it was and the kid told him that the Rangers should bring Jaromir Jagr to the team and Renney said that wont happen - anyone remember that?
I think about that all the time. That was on some Inside the Rangers Draft show from 03 or something. But I do remember that quite well. Who was the rookie who asked (Olesz maybe?!?!)

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Too bad Bure fell apart... I liked him. Im not much on Jagr... I like him now cuz he's a Ranger... but, too often he seems uninspired.... and if this entourage theory is all truth and reality, I dig him even less.

I dont recall Pavel bringing any baggage like that with him, and he was a beast during his short time here...

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Good post S.O.S. Nicely done.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Esa 10

Prucha to St.Louis? I dread the idea of MIS-managing assets as much as anyone here, but let's not go into full-scale panic mode. The notion that Rucinsky/Cajanek would cost the Rangers a roster player is ludicrous. Particularly a young Czech, if it's a trade done for Jagr.

J.D. has some leverage if the Rangers want Martin back. But Rucinsky is not having the kind of season that starts a bidding war. He also has that pesky 2nd year on his 35-year old+ contract that would plummet his value to GM's if there was one. Even more importantly he has a No-Trade Clause. After signing the contract with St.Louis, he said that he wasn't interested in any more moving. If J.D. doesn't send Rucinsky to New York, will Martin want to go elsewhere? The Blues would most likely end up paying out the rest of his contract. And here's the final part, it's a backloaded contract. While the cap hit is split, he's owed $3 million next year. That further reduces his value to a financially struggling team like St.Louis. Or anyone else.

I don't see Rucinsky moving for anything more than a 3rd. Maybe throw in a C-level prospect.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 05:09 PM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Too bad Bure fell apart... I liked him. Im not much on Jagr... I like him now cuz he's a Ranger... but, too often he seems uninspired.... and if this entourage theory is all truth and reality, I dig him even less.

I dont recall Pavel bringing any baggage like that with him, and he was a beast during his short time here...
Out of all those ****s we signed in the old rags era...the one I wish we still had was Bure. Imagine if Bure had stuck and we had Jagr.
our line up could be
Prucha-Nylander-Jagr
Shanahan-Straka-Bure

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 06:18 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
Prucha to St.Louis? I dread the idea of MIS-managing assets as much as anyone here, but let's not go into full-scale panic mode. The notion that Rucinsky/Cajanek would cost the Rangers a roster player is ludicrous. Particularly a young Czech, if it's a trade done for Jagr.

J.D. has some leverage if the Rangers want Martin back. But Rucinsky is not having the kind of season that starts a bidding war. He also has that pesky 2nd year on his 35-year old+ contract that would plummet his value to GM's if there was one. Even more importantly he has a No-Trade Clause. After signing the contract with St.Louis, he said that he wasn't interested in any more moving. If J.D. doesn't send Rucinsky to New York, will Martin want to go elsewhere? The Blues would most likely end up paying out the rest of his contract. And here's the final part, it's a backloaded contract. While the cap hit is split, he's owed $3 million next year. That further reduces his value to a financially struggling team like St.Louis. Or anyone

I don't see Rucinsky moving for anything more than a 3rd. Maybe throw in a C-level prospect.
That puts it pretty well Esa.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 06:21 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
As has been forecasted. Really, I have to be honest. If the Rucinsky trade does go through, then everything that we were led to believe last year was nothing more than a sham to placate a fanbase that was ready to revolt. One that voted Sather as the most hated man in NY sports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You and I have foreseen this. Still, there was a moment where I thought the team had turned the page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
This crap wont end until Jagr is gone.
Getting a bit ahead of ourselves arent we boys? Why dont we wait till Sather actually MAKES a move before we start the back-patting and pop open the champaign?

Seriously though, Brooks is not a legit source and I dont put much faith in anything he has to say. I think most of this is a result of the "panic" people are feeling because of the losing streak.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 06:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Getting a bit ahead of ourselves arent we boys? Why dont we wait till Sather actually MAKES a move before we start the back-patting and pop open the champaign?

Seriously though, Brooks is not a legit source and I dont put much faith in anything he has to say. I think most of this is a result of the "panic" people are feeling because of the losing streak.
Honestly, my feelings remain the same whether this trade happens or not.

12-23-2006, 07:42 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Since I in no way referenced a trade, why don't you wait until I do so before you begin misapplying my quotes? In fact, if you trouble yourself to actually read what I wrote, you'll note I was specifically referring to a move that would NOT be made, the trading of Jagr.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 11:39 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
I think slats has some wierd fetish for Rucinsky

After all drafted the guy way back when

(rucinsky was one of the LA picks traded for 99)

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 08:48 AM
True Blue

Quote:
I think that my view on things has stayed the course. And trust me, as far as some of the predictions go, the last thing that any of us want to do is have a back-slapping party.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 09:37 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Last week, it was Nedved. This week, it's Rucinsky. It's just about time for Dellapina to put up his "Leetch back to the Rangers" post on his blog. (Of course, Leetch would be an upgrade on at least three of our current D-men, but that's beside the point.)

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 12:03 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Since I in no way referenced a trade, why don't you wait until I do so before you begin misapplying my quotes? In fact, if you trouble yourself to actually read what I wrote, you'll note I was specifically referring to a move that would NOT be made, the trading of Jagr.
1) I was just poking a little fun at the usually pessimistic views of a few of the board regulars, the first part of my joke was in jest, hence the

2) I did read your post (it was actually quite a pain in the *** to copy all those quotes, I didnt realize it would be such a task) and:

"If the team misses the playoffs this year, it will be by only a few points - close enough that Sather and Co. will feel that the playoffs are in reach next season. Thus Jagr will not be traded; a couple of assets will be added to the mix to try to get back to the playoffs. (Personally I think they make the playoffs anyway.)"

is essentially what I said, speculating on what Sather is going to do (or not going to do), not what he has done. Sather has done enough wrong in the past and with this current team that bashing him for what we think he is going to do (or what Larry Brooks thinks) seems kind of unnecessary, dont you think?

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 01:08 PM
nyr7andcounting

Rucinsky is the last player this team needs to give up youth for, especially considering his age and salary. If we're going to give up youth to improve the team, let's find a 2nd line center and/or improve the blueline.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 01:51 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Sather has done enough wrong in the past and with this current team that bashing him for what we think he is going to do (or what Larry Brooks thinks) seems kind of unnecessary, dont you think?
Well Brooks' article had nothing whatsoever with my statements in the thread, so that's a non-issue.

As for "bashing" Sather, my own beliefs about how this team should chart its course runs counter to the current management's. I speculated on how a different result last season might have moved the team to a philosophy closer to my own, and I opined that the team would continue to pursue its current course as long as it felt the playoffs were somewhere within reach (which, I'll add here, is pretty much always because of the number of teams that make the POs and how the new, earlier trade deadline shapes trade policy).

If that looks like bashing to you, so be it.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 01:19 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Screw this.

Purge again, and fill the cupboard up with some top level prospects and some 1st round picks.

Sure, I like to see the team win... but seeing the team win in the regular season and be a one-and-done in the playoffs at the cost of missing out on potential franchise players in the draft.

This team should tank for a lottery pick and start rebuilding again. This team is built poorly with a bunch of Euros who have no heart and care more about their paychecks and their hair. There's no shutdown defenders, no checking forwards, a ****** defense, and a bunch of forwards who don't backcheck.

This team sucks, we would be better served by adding a future top-line franchise forward in this year's draft rather than making the playoffs only to get murdered again in the 1st round.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 02:46 AM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
First off, this comes from Larry Brooks. Not exactly the most spot-on reporter in his household.

Second, I'm suprised and appalled at how quickly some of the Rangers fans are bashing the team already. If the season ended right now the Rags would be sitting in 6th. It's not like they've tanked the season.

Jagr is the main reason for the team's success. While he may not be the best captain in the world (or the team) it is pathetic to deny his capabilities. It's not even January. You guys better hope your players have more resolve than your faith in your own team.
You are spot on!

Trade Jagr! Fire Renney! Cut the entire defense!... Chill out!!!

Yes, moves need to be made IMO. I wouldn't mind Rucinsky returning, one more year on his contract isn't such a big deal. The three things I would mind:

1. They could have re-signed him after last season.
2. Paying too high a price (esp. given #1)... definitely not Prucha or top prospect.
3. They still have to shake things up defensively if possible.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 08:27 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
one more year on his contract isn't such a big deal.
How could you say that in a salary cap era? You don't think that his $2.4m counting aga8inst the cap is a big deal? He will start the year at 36 & end it at 37. The amount is unweildy and made worse when you consider that it will take place whether or not he is on the team. Bettman is not going to come bailing Sather out the way that he did w/ Lams.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 09:20 AM
Entrancemperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
Screw this.

Purge again, and fill the cupboard up with some top level prospects and some 1st round picks.

Sure, I like to see the team win... but seeing the team win in the regular season and be a one-and-done in the playoffs at the cost of missing out on potential franchise players in the draft.

This team should tank for a lottery pick and start rebuilding again. This team is built poorly with a bunch of Euros who have no heart and care more about their paychecks and their hair. There's no shutdown defenders, no checking forwards, a ****** defense, and a bunch of forwards who don't backcheck.

This team sucks, we would be better served by adding a future top-line franchise forward in this year's draft rather than making the playoffs only to get murdered again in the 1st round.
I agree whole heartedly, let's just do it and go with the young players and worst come to worst we end up with a top pick next season and get a chance at Tavares which will benefit us more because when Jagr, Shannahan and the rest hang it up we got noone ready to step up so what the rangers brass is doing now is counterproductive.

Entrancemperium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Larry Brooks is a source now?

It's amazing the Rangers are getting bashed for something that is probably not even true...

It's amazing Jagr (who Rangers fans love to hate) is getting bashed and he has nothing to do with the roster or lineup...
I always go to reply to these threads, but you take the words right from my mouth. Well said.

And some of you, please don't label Rucinsky as a bad player just because he doesn't hit, or whatever. He is a solid player. Do we give up prospects for him? No. But Rucinsky is not a trash player...

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Fletch

He's not trash, but...

he wouldn't be the same player. His minutes would be cut, especially on the PP (he played the left point or left wing - which is where Straka and Shanny are). Would he be a better complement to Shanny than Prucha? Most likely, especially if the Rangers are left with Cullen at center, which remains the real issue. Rucinsky is still a somewhat cheaper option, but I'm not sure cheaper options are the way to go.

Still trying to figure out what Sather was thinking about the second line center position - Savard was out there for the pickins, and is still pretty young. What a difference that would make (of course, as I once mentioned, his integration may've been tough, but it still could've worked).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 10:19 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrancemperium View Post
I agree whole heartedly, let's just do it and go with the young players and worst come to worst we end up with a top pick next season and get a chance at Tavares which will benefit us more because when Jagr, Shannahan and the rest hang it up we got noone ready to step up so what the rangers brass is doing now is counterproductive.
Exactly.

I mean, what do we have? We have NOTHING up front. We have two POTENTIAL 2ND LIND CENTERS in Dubinsky and Anisimov... not even a potential 1st line center, but a potential 2nd... on top of that, we have no potential shutdown centers. Those guys help win cups. All being said, we're screwed down the middle. We have a smallish potential 30 goal guy in Dawes, but he still has to prove he can handle the NHL. We have a real enigma in Callahan, because most of us projected him to be a 3rd line two-way forward with some scoring touch... but he's showing a lot more scoring touch than we've ever expected. We have a future franchise goaltender in Montoya in case Lundqvist just doesn't pick his game back up. We have a solid defense with Staal, Sangs, Sauer and Baranka. We could use A LOT MORE depth up front, and maybe another defender behind the big-4, plus a goaltender for when Montoya surfaces in the NHL.

Our system doesn't look all that great right now. We need some help.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote