HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Leafs Peca done for the season??

Old
12-23-2006, 04:56 AM
33Roy33

vCash: 500
OT: Leafs Peca done for the season??

Looks like the Leafs could be without their best defensive player for quite sometime. If the reported "blown" MCL is a severe tear then I can't see him coming back this season. Tough loss for them no doubt, but I don't think that they were headed to the playoffs anyways.

The comments that I read from the Leafs today really p**sed me off I gotta say. Watching the highlights it was clear that Vandermeer did not try to hit Peca knee on knee. And then we get comments like this :
"It's tough when you see a guy (Vandermeer) who can barely play in this league take out one of the best players in this league," Toronto center Jeff O'Neill said. "I don't know if he meant to do it or not, but this sucks for us."

"The play happened on the other side of the ice, and I didn't get a good look at it," Maurice said. "I do know it was a knee-on-knee hit. Our guy will be out a long time and their guy will probably be in the minors by the time our guy gets back."

link: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=189461&hubname=

It is an unfortunate injury no doubt, I understand that the Leafs are upset but why would someone like Jeff O'Neill who last year should have been 3rd liner in the ECHL and Paul Maurice put down Vandermeer. It would be one thing to think the hit was dirty but i think it was totally uncalled for to make comments about a players ability on like they did. Rant Over

33Roy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 05:24 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffie709 View Post
Looks like the Leafs could be without their best defensive player for quite sometime. If the reported "blown" MCL is a severe tear then I can't see him coming back this season. Tough loss for them no doubt, but I don't think that they were headed to the playoffs anyways.

The comments that I read from the Leafs today really p**sed me off I gotta say. Watching the highlights it was clear that Vandermeer did not try to hit Peca knee on knee. And then we get comments like this :
"It's tough when you see a guy (Vandermeer) who can barely play in this league take out one of the best players in this league," Toronto center Jeff O'Neill said. "I don't know if he meant to do it or not, but this sucks for us."

"The play happened on the other side of the ice, and I didn't get a good look at it," Maurice said. "I do know it was a knee-on-knee hit. Our guy will be out a long time and their guy will probably be in the minors by the time our guy gets back."

It is an unfortunate injury no doubt, I understand that the Leafs are upset but why would someone like Jeff O'Neill who last year should have been 3rd liner in the ECHL and Paul Maurice put down Vandermeer. It would be one thing to think the hit was dirty but i think it was totally uncalled for to make comments about a players ability on like they did. Rant Over
Outch, huge lost for the Leafs, I almost feel bad for them... I still think they can make the playoffs but it wont be easy..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 07:15 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

I wouldn't put too much stock into what O'Neill says.

He's said alot of strange things throughout his career. Even though he's a veteran now, he still says some weird things. He doesn't come across as the sharpest knife in the drawer. Either that, or he gets too emotional during interviews and says stuff that he regrets later.

I'm pretty sure maurice said what he said out of emotion and frustration as well, but yeah, its not the classiest way to go about the scenario, thats for sure.

Last edited by Hackett: 12-23-2006 at 07:20 AM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 07:19 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Yeah, that stuck out to me too... awfully bush league of them. I guess I rather expect it from O'Neill. And it's probably a good thing if I can start to lose some respect for Maurice too, all things considered. But anyway, I can now think of a player who will play extra nasty against the Leafs again next time they meet too. (And he won't be in the minors by then). And hey, maybe he'll be the first player in history to not want to play for the Leafs one day.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 08:15 AM
habsrock76

Classic Leaf rhetoric. I dont think there is a more classless team when it comes to post game interviews. Quinn was the poster boy for no class, here's a few gems to remember.

- Quinn refering to C.Neil spitting on Tucker, thus Darcy charges the Ottawa bench. Later to find out the spitting never happened, Tucker's just an idiot.

- Quinn repeatedly saying Hossa intentionally took Berard's eye out.

- Quinn saying Ottawa is dirty because Coliacovo cant hit properly and knocks himself out.

- Maurice blaming the frickin Zamboni driver

- And now these comments about a player who's been with the big club for 1.5 seasons, refering to him as a call-up who cant stay in the game(excuse me who was coaching in the minors last year). All the while if Peca had just took the hit instead of wimping out he'd be playin right now.

For some reason when players/coaches get to T.O there this sense of being almighty and i can say whatever i want, and face zero wrath for it.

Here's to another leaf-less post season.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Raider917

vCash: 50
better not laugh at this. last time ottawa and toronto lost key players at the same time, higgins got hurt within days.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Mike8

Stupid comments from Maurice and O'Neill.

Seems Maurice forgets where he was last season.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 09:39 AM
sheed36

Tough break for Peca.The hit didn't look dirty to me.It was just an unfortunate accident.Stupid comments from Maurice and O'Neill after the game but that was probably more fustration than anything else but it was still pretty classless of both to attack Vandermeer personally like that.I would also like to know how Peca is one of the best players in the NHL and for the record Jeff...the majority of NHL teams would probably take Vandermeer on their team rather than you.At times you look like the guy who can barely play in this league anymore.

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 09:47 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Tough break for Peca.The hit didn't look dirty to me.It was just an unfortunate accident.Stupid comments from Maurice and O'Neill after the game but that was probably more fustration than anything else but it was still pretty classless of both to attack Vandermeer personally like that.I would also like to know how Peca is one of the best players in the NHL and for the record Jeff...the majority of NHL teams would probably take Vandermeer on their team rather than you.At times you look like the guy who can barely play in this league anymore.
O'Neil and Maurice never struck me as the most class filled guys in the league, so it doesn't surprise.

Feel really bad for Peca though, always admired the way he plays, specially in the post-season where he becomes a beast. He was HUGE in the postseason for Edmonton last season.

And it DOES suck that someone like Vandermeer ends Peca's season, they just didn't have to say it. I guarantee you though, that had Vandeermeer ended Koivu's season, all Habs fans would be saying exactly the same thing.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

I watched the game last night cause i really like the Hawks and saw the hit it was completely accidental.Even the TSN commentators admited it...I think it's pretty classless for them to attack the guy when it's obvious they never saw a video review of the hit to see the fact that he never intended to take his knee out.

Peca tried to move away from a normal hit but somehow got unlucky and pretty much ended his season.

Bobby Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 10:07 AM
bentheprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
O'Neil and Maurice never struck me as the most class filled guys in the league, so it doesn't surprise.

Feel really bad for Peca though, always admired the way he plays, specially in the post-season where he becomes a beast. He was HUGE in the postseason for Edmonton last season.

And it DOES suck that someone like Vandermeer ends Peca's season, they just didn't have to say it. I guarantee you though, that had Vandeermeer ended Koivu's season, all Habs fans would be saying exactly the same thing.
What the hell does the fact that it was Vandermeer have to do with anything here. It sucks to lose a player to injury whether the hitter is a fourth line scrub or or a perennial all-star. Would it somehow be better for the Leafs if Peca had been injured by Alexander Ovechkin? (I know he's on a different team but I'm just trying to make a point and couldn't be bothered looking up Chicago's roster)

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 10:11 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Too bad for Peca. He's a blue collar guy who goes out and does his job every night.

As for O'Neill and Maurice, well...nothing to surprising coming from those two. Too bad the Blackhawks and Leafs didn't play again this season, then maybe Vandermeer could send O'Neill to the minors.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 10:12 AM
jordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatTraverse View Post
I watched the game last night cause i really like the Hawks and saw the hit it was completely accidental.Even the TSN commentators admited it...I think it's pretty classless for them to attack the guy when it's obvious they never saw a video review of the hit to see the fact that he never intended to take his knee out.

Peca tried to move away from a normal hit but somehow got unlucky and pretty much ended his season.
Uh... I dunno. Peca was alright but many weren't in love with him in the playoffs.

jordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 10:17 AM
Habs13

Toronto = the boohoohoo team. Thats why they are so easy to hate!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Transplanted Caper

I think it's important to point out that Maurice and O'Neill were pretty emotional at the time because it had just happened. Maurice obviously hadn't seen a replay or anything.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 10:25 AM
BLONG7

It was OK though when Darcy took Peca out...ya, that was different.... But in all honesty guys, you don't wanna see season ending type injuries, no matter what team...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Garry Valk

Wow, torn MCL AND a broken leg...he is done.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
I think it's important to point out that Maurice and O'Neill were pretty emotional at the time because it had just happened. Maurice obviously hadn't seen a replay or anything.
If he hadn't seen it, then he shouldn't have commented.

Further, injuries like this are unfortunately not uncommon. I can't remember any coach making statements as insulting as this.

Old
12-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
If he hadn't seen it, then he shouldn't have commented.

Further, injuries like this are unfortunately not uncommon. I can't remember any coach making statements as insulting as this.
Bullcrap. It's stuff coaches and players say in the heat of the moment. I'm not condoning it, but if you're going to say that injuries like that are 'oneof those things', then it's fair to say an emotional reaction to it is commonplace as well.

Old
12-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Bullcrap. It's stuff coaches and players say in the heat of the moment. I'm not condoning it, but if you're going to say that injuries like that are 'oneof those things', then it's fair to say an emotional reaction to it is commonplace as well.
Prove it. You claim that's bullcrap? Then back up your words: find me another coach who has made similar statements in that sort of situation.

Old
12-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

The Leafs playoff chances just took a nose dive

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Prove it. You claim that's bullcrap? Then back up your words: find me another coach who has made similar statements in that sort of situation.
Over exaggerating about a play? or taking a verbal cheap shot at another team's player? I would imagine they're everywhere.

Old
12-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Sucks for Peca. With his knee's history I hope this isn't career threatening.

Kind of ironic because on the main boards there was one Leaf fan (just one, so I'm not painting with a broad brush here people) who took great joy in Spezza going down with a knee injury and the very next day this happens. I wouldn't call it karmic because Peca didn't deserve to suffer for the arrogance of one fan.

As for the comments by O'Neill and Maurice... Heat of the moment or not, if you're going to say something that classless at least make it intelligent.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Over exaggerating about a play? or taking a verbal cheap shot at another team's player? I would imagine they're everywhere.
Good. Then you shouldn't have any trouble finding a quote.

Old
12-23-2006, 11:12 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I'd probably say the exact same thing if I was in the situation.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote