Notices

Guess who is on a 46 goal pace?

Old
12-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Neely08

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by acr View Post
I'll admit that when I was calling for Murray to be traded for a sack of puck at the start of the year that I was wrong.

Of course, I think most of his success is having Savard as a center, but Murray can find the net and has been doing seemingly everything(backchecking, defense, avoiding penalties) since the whole team was terrible in October. Once they bought into Lewis' system, they took off.
Of course. After the JT trade he was on a line with Primeau. Sometimes Travis Greene, and (who was that guy we got for Sammy?) . I don't know what people expected from Muzz at that point. The PP was a giant dysfuctional Charlie Foxtrot. Now it's functional and deadly.

Now he can just be a Howitzer for Savard. If they do trade him now, they have to get a scorer in return in my opinion. Or Savard will be left hanging.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Of course. After the JT trade he was on a line with Primeau. Sometimes Travis Greene, and (who was that guy we got for Sammy?) . I don't know what people expected from Muzz at that point. The PP was a giant dysfuctional Charlie Foxtrot. Now it's functional and deadly.

Now he can just be a Howitzer for Savard. If they do trade him now, they have to get a scorer in return in my opinion. Or Savard will be left hanging.
Exactly. I'm not sure but did alot of the people who wanted him gone in the offseason or at the beginning of the season forget that he played a lot of games last year with guys like Czerkawski, Reasoner, Green, Primeau, etc? I never gave up on him because I knew last year was definately not his fault for his low numbers. I definately expect him to get 40 this year, barring injury.

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 02:16 PM
HockeyKrishna43

Murray's been the only finisher on the team all year. He knows where to go to score NHL goals, and he knows how to get there. And his release is unreal. He's a perfect pairing with Savard, who seems to know how to get the puck to where it needs to be. Nobody else on the current team is a goal scorer. Bergeron, Boyes, and Sturm are good talents (although Sturm seems pretty far from using that talent on a regular basis right now), but are not in the same class as goal scorers, not nearly. Since Bergeron's game has come around, he's formed a good one-two punch at center as an assist man with Savard, and the two of them are both in the top 10 in assists right now, but we have nobody but Muzz in the top 60 goal scorers. Until we get one more finisher, this offense is going to be in the middle of the pack. We can still win with that if we tightened down on D, but these guys give up way too many shots.

HockeyKrishna43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 02:34 PM
ORR2Sanderson2ORR

I like the way Muzz has been playing,but I would still trade him and his salary for a younger player to bld on the future if there was a taker.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 02:41 PM
ForzaAzzurri

I think Murray is a good player, don't get me wrong. But...with Savard feeding him all those lovely passes, of course he's scoring like crazy again. Put Murray on a line without a talented playmaker and lets see him put up the same numbers. Same goes with Thornton...put anyone on a line with him and that person will be an instant goal scorer.

ForzaAzzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Were you not begging for Murray to be waived or bought out at the start of the year?
Traded or bought out and I was basing that on the fact that he had become too one dimensional. He has been much more well rounded and has responded great to having Savard as his center.

Now that you have that out of the way...what exactly does that have to do with what you quoted me on? I wasnt even talking about Murray with that statement.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaAzzurri View Post
I think Murray is a good player, don't get me wrong. But...with Savard feeding him all those lovely passes, of course he's scoring like crazy again. Put Murray on a line without a talented playmaker and lets see him put up the same numbers. Same goes with Thornton...put anyone on a line with him and that person will be an instant goal scorer.
Great goal scorers still need someone to get them the puck. Muzz has one of the best shots in the league. Take Spezza and Thornton away from Heatley and Cheechoo and I guarantee you'll see their numbers drop too. It goes both ways too though, those type of players compliment each other very well. Dynamite shooter + great passer = money in the bank.

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Bruinaholic

Send a message via AIM to Bruinaholic
Even if he finishes the year w/ 30-35g ill still consider season a success for him and his 4.1$ price tag

Bruinaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

If he finishes with 36 goals or more at the end of the year, he'll crack the 200-goal plateau as a Bruin. Only Johnny Bucyk (545), Phil Esposito (459), Rick Middleton (402), Ray Bourque (395), Cam Neely (344), Ken Hodge (289), Wayne Cashman (277), Bobby Orr (264), Peter McNab (263), Don Marcotte (230), Milt Schmidt (229), Dit Clapper (228), Keith Crowder (219), Woody Dumart (211) and Terry O'Reilly (204) will have scored more while wearing the spoked-B.

Muzz has come a long way from the mullet-wearing draft pick he was out of Sudbury almost 16 years ago.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 08:00 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reject View Post

I remember when EVERYONE on this board wanted to trade Murray for a "4th rounder"
Not everyone. In an early season post, I predicted he'd have 42 goals, and I think, something like 35 assists. Will have to look up the post.

Glen's awesome. He's got Mike Bossy-like sniping ability. Can't teach that. Where would we be this season without him?

Keep it going, Glen.

TheReal13Linseman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 09:17 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
I am just waiting for the "lets trade him" ideas start to come up--witht he people being legit baout it

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 09:52 PM
Duguay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Traded or bought out and I was basing that on the fact that he had become too one dimensional. He has been much more well rounded and has responded great to having Savard as his center.

Now that you have that out of the way...what exactly does that have to do with what you quoted me on? I wasnt even talking about Murray with that statement.
And JT was hurting his career right then BJ?

Duguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 12:49 AM
Bruinator

Quote:
Come on, he still has to put the puck in the net. Absolutely not true about anyone putting up instant #'s. Tenkrat has been playing on the same line for quite a few games now, why isn't he filling the net. You can be the greatest playmaker in the world, but if your linemate isn't capable of getting into the open and delivering a quick accurate shot, the #'s wont be there. Let's give credit where credit is due.

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay2 View Post
And JT was hurting his career right then BJ?
Right. I think anyone who has watched Murray's game over the previous 12 months saw someone who became much more predictable, less mobile and was just waiting in the slot for Joe to pass it to him. Sure, for a while Joe made Murray a premier goal scorer....especially when Knuble was doing all the dirty work for the line, but it got to a point where (especially in the playoffs) they became so predictable they were incredibly easy to defend against.

At least this year, for the first time in a while, we have seen Murray play with passion, energy, and a much better defensive awareness all while posting great goal totals.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 08:22 AM
MaCam

Quote:

I think thats obvious. I don't know why everyone says that. "oh take Savard away hes nothing" DUHHHHHHH. You need a decent center to be able to score a lot of goals. Muzz can finish and has a great shot. Its called team work. If Muzz didn't have such a lazer beam of a shot he wouldn't be scoring as many goals and Savard wouldn't have as many assisits. If he's on a line with Primeau than obviously hes not gunna have as much production. Hes a wing hes there to shoot the puck.

MaCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 12:00 PM
BlueAndGold

I was never a Murray fan - until this year. My beef with him was his lack of effort and his lax defensive play. This year he seems to be focused like a laser, hustling, and backchecking. While not a great all around player, I like his attitude and boy can he put the puck in the net. Go Glen!

BlueAndGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
sounds like I am slamming Bergeron and Savard and I love them (hockey sense) but Thornton and Allison were playing in different game (better game if you ask me)....maybe I'm thinking back to my youth of 2000 and the thoughts of Allison, Guerin, Samsonov, and Thornton looking like something special (wow, in music speak they would be Guns & Roses)
Chinese Democracy starts March 2007:

http://web.gunsnroses.com/news/artic...news&fext=.jsp

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinator View Post
Come on, he still has to put the puck in the net. Absolutely not true about anyone putting up instant #'s. Tenkrat has been playing on the same line for quite a few games now, why isn't he filling the net. You can be the greatest playmaker in the world, but if your linemate isn't capable of getting into the open and delivering a quick accurate shot, the #'s wont be there. Let's give credit where credit is due.
Agreed. That's just silly- chalking it *all* up to the center who's feeding the passes.

The fact is- Murray's got a tremendous release and is pretty accurate with his shot. Put him with a guy like Thornton and Savard who will get him the puck where he can best maximize his strengths, and he'll be successful. But not giving Murray any credit is just wrong- he was still on a pace to score 30 last season had it not been for injuries, so I don't think you can really make that case (that Murray is merely cashing in on Savard's efforts). Murray's been one of the team's most consistent players from beginning to present.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 04:50 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Right. I think anyone who has watched Murray's game over the previous 12 months saw someone who became much more predictable, less mobile and was just waiting in the slot for Joe to pass it to him. Sure, for a while Joe made Murray a premier goal scorer....especially when Knuble was doing all the dirty work for the line, but it got to a point where (especially in the playoffs) they became so predictable they were incredibly easy to defend against.

At least this year, for the first time in a while, we have seen Murray play with passion, energy, and a much better defensive awareness all while posting great goal totals.
we discussed this around training camp time, and i'll say it again - glen murray busted his backside at the end of last year, and was playing some of the best hockey of his career. the biggest problem he had was his linemates - they were awful. but he hustled all over the ice, went to the net, and put up points despite the hand he was dealt. this year, he's doing similar things but playing with much more talent around him. glad to see he's living up to his contract this season, and as someone said, he may even look like a bargain with the cap going up this summer.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 12:29 PM
the blank

where credit's due...

The biggest thing that has impressed me about Glen Murray this past calendar year has been his professionalism. After THE trade, he quit...and I lost some respect for him. I simply assumed he'd be the main character in the "Go Joe" summer exodus from the team, but he realized what he was doing and fixed his attitude. Right now he's playing the most complete hockey of his career since his LA days (can't remember on who but phenomenal backcheck on 2-1 early last night). And kudos to the Bs for knowing that he could be part of the solution...because I had serious doubts.

Not totally unrelated: All this talk about Allison, Thornton and Murray has me thinking about a CBC special on the 1997 draft where they had MOC and Sinden talking about Thornton having to pick up his intensity or he'd become the next Jason Allison (or something to that effect). Not the most positive tone in the world...and good insight into what they thought of Joe... and Jason. Someone who remembers the special better can probably provide more insight. I think I also remember MOC, in typical arrogance, being happy about TBay taking Mara so he wouldn't have to take heat from the hometown for passing on him because he definitely wasn't interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
(who was that guy we got for Sammy?)
Milan Lucic and Yan Stastny

the blank is offline   Reply With Quote