HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rumour: Oiler vets on the block?

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2003, 07:34 AM
bucksoil

vCash: 500
Rumour: Oiler vets on the block?

Interesting link from Edmonton.

http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/e...2-02-0067.html

Comrie trades have been talked to death, but the official thread has become dead/near dead.

Feel free to move this (mods) but I thought it might be relevant to discuss what changes, if anything, when other oiler vets are offered along with Comrie.

What would you give for 2-3 of:

Comrie
Salo
Smyth
Smith
Isbister
Laraque
etc.

Keep in mind EDM's needs (start with D, but include young talent at any position).

Old
12-02-2003, 07:43 AM
Russeltown

Salo will probably get out.. Ty Conklin is doing great job and Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers will be called up.

Let's say a trade with Salo and Isbister for Martin Skoula and a good draft pick ? :|

Old
12-02-2003, 07:54 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Who's going to take Salo and more importantly his contract off of Lowe's hands?

Old
12-02-2003, 08:00 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYn
Salo will probably get out.. Ty Conklin is doing great job and Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers will be called up.

Let's say a trade with Salo and Isbister for Martin Skoula and a good draft pick ? :|
Deslauriers is years away. Valiquette would be next in line. I'm not sold on him and Conklin leading the Oilers into the playoffs.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:03 AM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Deslauriers is years away. Valiquette would be next in line. I'm not sold on him and Conklin leading the Oilers into the playoffs.
True, but maybe Lowe will trade Salo next summer, or at the deadline if Conklin continues to play like he did since the beginning of the season.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:05 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksoil

Comrie trades have been talked to death, but the official thread has become dead/near dead.

Feel free to move this (mods) but I thought it might be relevant to discuss what changes, if anything, when other oiler vets are offered along with Comrie.

Comrie
Salo
Smyth
Smith
Isbister
Laraque
etc.

Keep in mind EDM's needs (start with D, but include young talent at any position).
Jason Smith and Mike Comrie for Nick Boynton, Ivan Huml, and a second round pick.

Andy Hilbert for Georges Laraque

Take it or leave it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny how Edmonton is looking into dumping vets a couple weeks after signing a 41 yo Adam Oates.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:08 AM
fulk hogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Jason Smith and Mike Comrie for Nick Boynton, Ivan Huml, and a second round pick.

Andy Hilbert for Georges Laraque

Take it or leave it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny how Edmonton is looking into dumping vets a couple weeks after signing a 41 yo Adam Oates.
Leave it. Edmonton isn't 'dumping vets', they're trying to add another piece to get a Comrie deal done. Did you even read the article?

Old
12-02-2003, 08:29 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooty mcboobs
Leave it. Edmonton isn't 'dumping vets', they're trying to add another piece to get a Comrie deal done. Did you even read the article?
No I didnt, I read the post. It said what would you give for the following players. DID YOU READ THE POST?

Relax dude, I was just making a useless trade proposal amongst the thousands of other useless posts on this board.

Old
12-02-2003, 09:29 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYn
True, but maybe Lowe will trade Salo next summer, or at the deadline if Conklin continues to play like he did since the beginning of the season.
The ounly thing lowe will do next summer with Salo is decline the team option for 4.2 million. The oil will be in the market for a goilie from now until then

Old
12-02-2003, 09:36 AM
kidchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
No I didnt, I read the post. It said what would you give for the following players. DID YOU READ THE POST?

Relax dude, I was just making a useless trade proposal amongst the thousands of other useless posts on this board.
nice comeback..... comrie,salo for voloun and arkipov and a first????
is that crazy enough or what???

Old
12-02-2003, 09:50 AM
VaporXX

How about
Smyth, Smith, Salo, and Laraque
for
Peca, Jonsson, Parrish, Cairns, and DiPietro

Old
12-02-2003, 09:57 AM
Sec of Partying Down

Salo has no trade value as of right now. If put on Waivers not one team would take him. Comrie and Isbister have very little value. Smyth, Smith, and Brewer are the only ones anyone is interested in. The Oilers look like they are in deep trouble. 27th on the PP, 30th on the PK, 29th in GAA those are horrible numbers that if continued will bring the Oilers a top 5 pick in the draft.

Old
12-02-2003, 10:10 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporXX
How about
Smyth, Smith, Salo, and Laraque
for
Peca, Jonsson, Parrish, Cairns, and DiPietro

I'd love to see Symth playing for the isles but the

budget tight Isles wouldn't make the Salo for DiPietro exchange.Salo's an ex-nyi MM doesn't like,he couldn't move him fast enough.

Isles don't need Laraque.They're moving Cairns out because they think Godard's ready to be their enforcer.

I'm not sure how much the Oilers would want Jonsson.He made noises about returning home to play during last summer's contract talks.

also I'd think both budget tight teams would want young players,prospects and picks.

Old
12-02-2003, 10:32 AM
Chayos

Quote:

Comrie
Salo
Smyth
Smith
Isbister
Laraque
etc.

I am oiler fan but these are a few Deals i would do adding vets to deals to get things done.

To: Ott Comrie Smyth and Laraque
to edm: Volchenkov and Spezza

To Anaheim: Comrie and Laraque
for: Chistov and Visnevski

To: Nashville: Comrie and Rita
to oil: Legwand kloucek

Old
12-02-2003, 10:40 AM
zoidberg

I'll ante up Ruslan Zainullin for Savar...er...Comrie. Any takers? No? He's the Russian Zoolander, people!

Old
12-02-2003, 10:46 AM
camboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
I am oiler fan but these are a few Deals i would do adding vets to deals to get things done.

All three look good to me....although #1 would only happen in my dreams.

Old
12-02-2003, 11:09 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:

Lowe gets hung by Edmonton fans, and they head South to Calgary after that trade.

Lowe isn't going to give up this year for 5 years down the road. Getting rid of both Smyth and Laraque would have Oilerfans furious, and you can't tell me Volchenkov is worth a Comrie and Laraque.

Old
12-02-2003, 11:29 AM
bucksoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy
All three look good to me....although #1 would only happen in my dreams.

Ugghhh... I like number 1 the least. Spezza is great, but to give up both Comrie and Smyth is too much.

Smyth is locked up for years at ~3.5M. That is a bargain for a forward of his quality and leadership. Heck, we can probably afford him longer than we'd be able to keep Spezza happy.

Any trade sending Smyth to Ottawa needs to be a massive overpay benefitting the Oil. I mean think about it... Smyth is EXACTLY what Ottawa needs, a gritty winger, who can score, who can lead them in the playoffs and is cheap. There isn't a more perfect fit for Ottawa in the entire league. Add in his excellent contract (for a vet of his age), and Ottawa is dancing cartwheels.

If I were the Ottawa GM, I'd bite the bullet and do Spezza for Smyth straight up, simply b/c this is the type of move that can fortify a team that has had far too much regular season success, and far too little playoff success.

After that, the deal breaks down to Laraque + Comrie --> Volchenkov. Sorry, but for me, that is not enough coming back to Edmonton. No deal.

The other two deals are better.

Old
12-02-2003, 11:52 AM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Ugghhh... I like number 1 the least. Spezza is great, but to give up both Comrie and Smyth is too much.

Smyth is locked up for years at ~3.5M. That is a bargain for a forward of his quality and leadership. Heck, we can probably afford him longer than we'd be able to keep Spezza happy.

Any trade sending Smyth to Ottawa needs to be a massive overpay benefitting the Oil. I mean think about it... Smyth is EXACTLY what Ottawa needs, a gritty winger, who can score, who can lead them in the playoffs and is cheap. There isn't a more perfect fit for Ottawa in the entire league. Add in his excellent contract (for a vet of his age), and Ottawa is dancing cartwheels.

If I were the Ottawa GM, I'd bite the bullet and do Spezza for Smyth straight up, simply b/c this is the type of move that can fortify a team that has had far too much regular season success, and far too little playoff success.

After that, the deal breaks down to Laraque + Comrie --> Volchenkov. Sorry, but for me, that is not enough coming back to Edmonton. No deal.

The other two deals are better.

Smyth for Spezza!?! Comic genius right here!

Truth of the matter is Comrie, Smyth, and Laraque won't get you Spezza. Spezza is a superstar in waiting, the Oilers do not have the personnel to acquire him.

Old
12-02-2003, 11:53 AM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

Hasnt Laraque said he will retire if he is traded?

Old
12-02-2003, 11:54 AM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:

Ridiculously favoring the Oilers, all of them.

Old
12-02-2003, 12:07 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_IN_LV

Smyth for Spezza!?! Comic genius right here!

Truth of the matter is Comrie, Smyth, and Laraque won't get you Spezza. Spezza is a superstar in waiting, the Oilers do not have the personnel to acquire him.
Daigle and Cleary were both supposed to be superstars too, and the list goes on and on. Spezza is as much a superstar in the waiting as Hemsky is in the waiting. Both could end up with 90+ pt. seaons in the future, or else not live up to that and settle with 60+ pt. seasons. I doubt most Oiler fans would do a Smyth for Spezza right now anyways.

Old
12-02-2003, 12:27 PM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Daigle and Cleary were both supposed to be superstars too, and the list goes on and on. Spezza is as much a superstar in the waiting as Hemsky is in the waiting. Both could end up with 90+ pt. seaons in the future, or else not live up to that and settle with 60+ pt. seasons. I doubt most Oiler fans would do a Smyth for Spezza right now anyways.
Are you comparing Daigle or Cleary to Spezza? Spezza has the tools and mentality to be a 80 point player this year, he just needs the ice time. Smyth will never be more than a 70 point guy, who is injured often. Comrie is a cocky, small center who is currently out of game shape. Laraque has said he would retire if he was traded out of Edmonton. Like I said before the Oilers do not have the personnel to get Spezza without seriously hurting their team now and in the future.

Old
12-02-2003, 12:43 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Are you comparing Daigle or Cleary to Spezza? Spezza has the tools and mentality to be a 80 point player this year, he just needs the ice time. Smyth will never be more than a 70 point guy, who is injured often. Comrie is a cocky, small center who is currently out of game shape. Laraque has said he would retire if he was traded out of Edmonton. Like I said before the Oilers do not have the personnel to get Spezza without seriously hurting their team now and in the future.
Yes the amount of hype surrounding Spezza is the same amount Daigle had when he came into the NHL. Most NHL players have the tools, but if the tools aren't put to use...well than you get a Cleary or Stefan. That is the point I was trying to make.
Anyway you try to spin it Volchenkov isn't worth Comrie, let alone adding Laraque in the deal. Also Lowe won't be trading a proven player in Smyth for a young potential bust/potential superstar in Spezza.

Old
12-02-2003, 12:44 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Wow, you certainly displayed a very high level of ignorance with that post. First and foremost, Laraque never said he'd retire if he was traded away from Edmonton.. he said he would retire if he was traded to Montreal! Likewise, everyone knows that was a heat of the moment quote and that Georges would likely keep playing even if he were to become a Hab. I fail to understand how Smyth will never be more than a 70 point guy.. he is still fairly young and likely would have cracked 70 points the last few seasons if he wasn't plagued by injuries. The injuries he has gone through however could happen to anyone.. I don't believe they lessen his trade value by any measurable amount. Lastly, Comrie is a "cocky, small center" who scored 33 goals his second season in the league.. he is currently in decent shape and while he is certainly not ready for a game, he looks to be pretty close. I would not deal Smyth for Spezza straight up at this point.. after reading through your posts, you appear to have some part of your head attached to Spezza's ass. He may one day become a consistant 80 point player but he certainly isn't there yet.. to claim that Smyth, Comrie and Laraque would not fetch Spezza is like an Oiler fan claiming Alfredsson, Bonk and Neil would not get Hemsky!

Last edited by Cerebral: 12-02-2003 at 12:48 PM.
Closed Thread