HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

leafs/flames proposal...

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2003, 06:47 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loose Cannon
Here's a mutually beneficial Flames Leafs deal:

Flames board gets Red Horner

Leafs board will take the Bicycle Repairman off your hands.

Leafs are going to have to add a draft pick.

12-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue
Value aside, Can the leafs afford to give up on Colaiacovo? History tell us you need a good defense core first and foremost to win the cup. I wouldn't trade away a potential top pairing dman in Covo just yet. Id much rather the Leafs establish a core of good dmen before addressing whatever needs to be addressed up front.
Just my opinion, but I don't think Colaiacovo will ever be a 1st pairing d-man in the NHL. I think he will be a player, but just nothing special.

Old
12-01-2003, 07:00 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
Toronto and Calgary are bad trade partners. Both sides want to hang onto their respective youngsters. While can I see Iginla being moved, it certainly won't be to the Blue and White.
Any team that would send youngsters like McCauley and Boyes for an over the hiller like Nolan don't really have any regard for youngsters, especially if they can land a younger, better version of Nolan in Iginla.

Old
12-01-2003, 07:09 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Just my opinion, but I don't think Colaiacovo will ever be a 1st pairing d-man in the NHL. I think he will be a player, but just nothing special.
What makes you say that?

He was a standout last year with team Canada... 30 points in 30 games with Erie of the OHL... had shoulder surgery in the offseason and now is having a great season in the AHL.

Just wondering if there's a reason.

Old
12-01-2003, 07:13 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Although Iggie is struggling, how do you think he'd look on Sundin's wing?

If you upgraded his centerman to someone like Sundin or even Niewy, I doubt he'd have the numbers he does now.

Looking at his age, he isn't old, and has potential to be dominant.

I just don't see a match with the Flames and Leafs:

Stajan or Steen, Reichel (more points than Iggie), Tucker, prospect of Flames choosing (excluding Steen or Stajan - like the Fleury deal) and a (conditional 1st. or Colaiacovo.)

for

Iggie , Saprykin and a (conditional 3rd. or Gauthier).

Reichel isn't as bad as people make him out to be, and is a UFA at the end of the year.

Only reason the Flames make this deal is because they HAVE TO qualify Jarome at 7.5 million at the end of the year because the CBA doesn't expire until September and they have to qualify him before July 1st.

Conditional on Leafs re-signing Iggie.

I don't think Leafs or Flames fans would like this deal.

I see the Flyers bettering this deal with Justin Williams +, + .

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
Old
12-01-2003, 07:20 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo's house
All that for a one year wonder Pass
A one year wonder pass? I thought they stopped selling those things!

Old
leafaholix*

Couple things ULF...

a) Steen is going NOWHERE!
b) Robert Reichel's been playing great... but he still has no trade value.

Old
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
What makes you say that?

He was a standout last year with team Canada... 30 points in 30 games with Erie of the OHL... had shoulder surgery in the offseason and now is having a great season in the AHL.

Just wondering if there's a reason.
Just watching him. I think he'll have trouble translating his Junior success to the NHL. He has just never impressed me and I don't think he was that great in the WJC last year. His numbers against some of the weaker sisters masked some pretty poor defensive play in the important medal round games.

I think he'll make it, but it will be a rough transition and I don't think he'll be anything special once he makes it.

Old
12-01-2003, 07:30 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Couple things ULF...

a) Steen is going NOWHERE!
b) Robert Reichel's been playing great... but he still has no trade value.
Look at what the salary dump Straka returned. Check out Straka's numbers and compare to Reichel. Anyway, he'd just be providing temporary talent for the Flames this season, and they'd let him walk.

Old
12-01-2003, 08:12 PM
KillToronto

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by caber24
well i was searching the internet for some rumours and found the spectors about the leafs possibly being interested in jarome iginla. for fun, i just thought i would propose a trade.

to calgary
nik antropov, carlo colaiacovo, darcy tucker

to toronto
jarome iginla, late pick possibly

too much/too little??
I think the Leafs have to pass on this proposal. I know they have high hopes for Colaiacovo, and I'm not too impressed with Iginla aside from his one MVP season.

Old
12-01-2003, 08:40 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillToronto
I think the Leafs have to pass on this proposal. I know they have high hopes for Colaiacovo, and I'm not too impressed with Iginla aside from his one MVP season.
Iginla's playing with third line talent... if he were alongside a Mats Sundin, he'd be a legit MVP candidate every round.

He's too good to pass on.

Old
12-01-2003, 09:17 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loose Cannon
Bill Watters has stated for the record that the Leafs never bring Tucker's name into conversations. Other teams do, and frequently do, calling asking about his availability in a trade.
What's he supposed to say? "We wanna get rid of that little piss hole, but nobody wants him" ?

Old
12-01-2003, 09:21 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
What's he supposed to say? "We wanna get rid of that little piss hole, but nobody wants him" ?

Watter does not work for the team anymore. What he says is of no relevance to the Toronto Maple Leafs organization.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:59 AM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
I think we need to put a ban on all trades involving Tucker. This includes the flamers of other teams who pose as Leaf fans just to start another Leaf bashing thread. Usually goes something like this:

1. Trade proposal involving Tucker.
2. Response of fan of proposed team Tucker would be going to -- "Tucker??? That @#$%& little piece of @#$%& puke face!!! I don't want him anywhere near my team. He's a trouble maker and a locker room distraction!!!! NFW do the (insert name of proposed team Tucker would be going to here) make that trade!!!!!!!"

3. Leaf fans defend Tucker.
4. Response of other fans about how Leaf fans "overrate" their players or how the Leafs aren't any good and how ridiculous Leafs fan proposals are or how Tucker is "table scraps" and the Leafs will have to "include" Cola and/or Antropov and/or Stajan if they want to make "that trade".

Of course, none of the locker room distraction or troublemaker part about Tucker have ever been proven, but according to fans of other teams it is gospel truth.

Does that about cover it??

BTW, I don't want the Leafs to make this trade at this point as Tucker is playing pretty darn well right now!!

Old
12-02-2003, 09:02 AM
caber24

like another poster said, steen ain't goin anywhere.

Old
12-02-2003, 09:15 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by caber24
well i was searching the internet for some rumours and found the spectors about the leafs possibly being interested in jarome iginla. for fun, i just thought i would propose a trade.

to calgary
nik antropov, carlo colaiacovo, darcy tucker

to toronto
jarome iginla, late pick possibly

too much/too little??
Let's see Toronto gives up an often injured player with potential, Darcy I suck ass Tucker and a young prospect for a proven NHL scorer and a pick....geez and I thought the Montreal fans made bad proposals! Calgary gets hosed big time!

Try..... Toronto gives up Antropov Colaiacovo plus a first for Iginla. Calgary can get way better from other teams than what you are proposing!

Montreal has been rumoured to offer up Markov Hossa and a 1st which already is better then what I suggested Toronto should offer!

Old
12-02-2003, 09:52 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund
Let's see Toronto gives up an often injured player with potential, Darcy I suck ass Tucker and a young prospect for a proven NHL scorer and a pick....geez and I thought the Montreal fans made bad proposals! Calgary gets hosed big time!

Try..... Toronto gives up Antropov Colaiacovo plus a first for Iginla. Calgary can get way better from other teams than what you are proposing!

Montreal has been rumoured to offer up Markov Hossa and a 1st which already is better then what I suggested Toronto should offer!
Then Montreal can get hosed in that deal...

Old
12-02-2003, 10:12 AM
kolanos

Antropov -- Flames are well stocked at centre: Reinprecht, Lombardi, Betts, Yelle, and Conroy. There isn't a serious need for Antropov on the Flames lineup right now.

Calaiacovo -- Flames alread have a better version of him in Jordan Leopold (not to take anything away from Calaiacovo). Don't need another..

Tucker -- Not going to make the same "nobody wants him" speech. Sutter would probably like to have a guy like Tucker, but not in this deal.

Just doesn't work for the Flames, and that would be the only motivation for trading Iginla -- to make the team better.

Old
12-02-2003, 10:45 AM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
Then Montreal can get hosed in that deal...
Exactly. If that IS the offer on the table from Montreal (Markov, Hossa, and a 1st for Iginla), I jump all over that if I'm Calgary. With Iginla's $7.5 million contract, that will probably be the best offer you're gonna get.

And with Philadelphia currently having the best record in the NHL, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Bobby Clarke to come knocking on your door offering Gagne and/or Williams + for Iginla.

Old
12-02-2003, 12:46 PM
kolanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadyan
Exactly. If that IS the offer on the table from Montreal (Markov, Hossa, and a 1st for Iginla), I jump all over that if I'm Calgary. With Iginla's $7.5 million contract, that will probably be the best offer you're gonna get.
Why?? The Flames don't desperately need Markov (They have three defenceman capable of respectable offensive numbers), Hossa is a project at best. Doesn't make any sense for Calgary whatsoever. Iginla's salary is not the problem.

Old
12-02-2003, 01:02 PM
Kenadyan

[QUOTE=kolanos]Why?? The Flames don't desperately need Markov (They have three defenceman capable of respectable offensive numbers), Hossa is a project at best.[QUOTE]

Really? So which is it? A poorer offer than Toronto or a better offer than Toronto? I was responding to the poster who claimed that the offer from Montreal was better than the original Toronto proposal. By your arguments, it would seem to be a much poorer offer than the Toronto offer (I disagree with your assesment of Hossa and Markov by the way --> it should also be noted that I am not a Canadiens fan).

I'm not saying the Flames should trade Iginla or will because of salary, but this is a trade proposal thread, is it not?? My point was that, IMO, if that actually was the Montreal offer, I think the Flames would have to at least consider it.

Old
12-02-2003, 01:22 PM
kolanos

Quote:
Really? So which is it? A poorer offer than Toronto or a better offer than Toronto? I was responding to the poster who claimed that the offer from Montreal was better than the original Toronto proposal. By your arguments, it would seem to be a much poorer offer than the Toronto offer (I disagree with your assesment of Hossa and Markov by the way --> it should also be noted that I am not a Canadiens fan).
My assessment of Markov? What are you reading exactly? I said that Markov wasn't needed on a team with players like Leopold (on pace for 35PTS), Lydman (on pace for 30PTS) and Ference (on pace for 25PTS). The Flames have been getting offense from their blueline, Markov is an offensive defenceman -- hence he isn't desperately needed. That isn't to say he isn't a good defenceman, he most certainly is.

To answer your question, I would probably take the Toronto deal myself, but that's the best of two deals that don't answer the Flames needs.

Quote:
I'm not saying the Flames should trade Iginla or will because of salary, but this is a trade proposal thread, is it not?? My point was that, IMO, if that actually was the Montreal offer, I think the Flames would have to at least consider it.
The Flames would need someone like Zednik involved to even consider moving Iginla. The Flames are already weak on the right-side, moving Iginla would only hurt the team moreso.

Old
12-03-2003, 12:22 PM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo's house
All that for a one year wonder Pass
Quality post. Ya, Iginla is a one year wonder. One year wonders are able to score 30+ goals a year consistently and dominate games. Iginla would be the top forward on the Leafs, maybe 2nd to Sundin but that's debatable. Calling Iginla a 1 year wonder is so far from the truth it isn't even funny. Could people not say the same thing about Bryan McCabe? One good year 2 seasons ago and has struggled ever since.

Old
12-03-2003, 06:47 PM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeofWindsor
Exactly. Iginla is good, but overated.

Definitely not a trade I want to see take place.
Let's get him out of Calgary so everyone can actually see him play more regularly. He is past good, he is an outstanding forward. I don't think overrated is a word I would use. I think any knowledgable hockey fan realizes that his 50 goal season may not happen again, but he is definitely a 40 goal type player. If he had even a few linemates, he could put up some scary totals.

Closed Thread