HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN.com article

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2006, 07:19 PM
missK

vCash: 500
ESPN.com article

I'm not a big fan of ESPN's coverage of hockey either on TV or the web but this story was too good to not post....

Remember, it's the small things in life that give us this much joy! Happy New Year to all!

Quote:
Here's another reminder of why we should care
By George Johnson
Special to ESPN.com

Peering back through the mists of time, there's always one. Or should be. One to rival Ralphie Parker's "You'll shoot your eye out!" Golden Barrel 1,000-shot Red Ryder Cowboy Carbon Rifle. One remembered long after all the paper and ribbons and bows have been balled up and tossed aside, after the wonder and the magic of the season have gently faded with the passing of the years.

One that writes "A Christmas Story" of your very own.

For my 15-year-old daughter Michela, her very own Red Ryder appeared under the tree this Christmas. In a box, folded neatly, a Tampa Bay Lightning crest peeking out from underneath the wrapping paper: A Vincent Lecavalier jersey. Men's small. Nameplated. Home dark, naturally. And, best of all, inscribed on the back, on the No. 4, by the man himself: To Michela. Best Wishes! All thanks to the collaboration of a couple of secret Santas: Peter Hanlon, vice president of communications for the Calgary Flames, and Bill Wickett, his Tampa counterpart.
ESPN.com

So in an effort to keep this thread going, what were/are some of your all-time favorite things/gifts?

Old
12-27-2006, 07:32 PM
missK

I'll start.....

Favorite hockey things and some of my most prized possessions:

1) A Tampa Bay Lightning Stanley Cup Championship after 11 seasons of frustration. 1a) The actual gift I wear daily: my 2004 TB Lightning Stanley Cup platinum charm.

2) An Andreychuk powerplay goal record photo montage given to me by the team and personalized by Andy himself (the same montage is hanging in Andreychuk's Grill if anyone has seen it).

3) A 1980 USA Hockey Jim Craig poster personalized to me.

My all time favorite things: My 2-year old niece Cassidy and 1-year old nephew Brandon (born 1 year & 19 days apart) who I said goodbye to yesterday so I could return home. Beyond precious and way too far away from me now. My heart was breaking to leave and if you knew me you would know that I LOVE living in Florida and never have had a problem returning to Florida after a visit to NJ in 14 years.

Old
12-27-2006, 07:37 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by missK View Post
So in an effort to keep this thread going, what were/are some of your all-time favorite things/gifts?
Nice story!

My favorites: An Autographed Marty stick a few years back as a birthday gift.

A road trip to Atlanta as a Christmas gift.

Old
12-27-2006, 08:07 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
A signed stick by the entire 1999-2000 Florida Panthers.

Yeah I am a Lightning fan and I hate the Panthers but my cousin was drafted by them in the 1996 NHL draft and spent a few training camps with them and got me a Bret Hedican game used stick and had all the players sign it, which includes Pavel Bure, Filip Kuba, Dan Boyle and even Sean Burke.

I do hate the Panthers but to have a game used stick signed by all an entire NHL team from your cousin who shared the same ice with them is pretty neat.

Old
12-27-2006, 10:59 PM
missK

XO - game used sticks do rock, I have some (Andreychuk, Khabi & Svitov). I guess it's time for me to get some new ones from current players!! Even some non-Lightning players which I will be working on in the New Year.

Old
12-27-2006, 11:10 PM
CaptBrannigan

My favorite item is a photo of Habby, personalized with my name and Happy Birthday and his autograph. I have a fair amount of autographed stuff, but this is by far my favorite as it was a gift and obviously took some work to get.

Old
12-27-2006, 11:12 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
XO - game used sticks do rock, I have some (Andreychuk, Khabi & Svitov). I guess it's time for me to get some new ones from current players!! Even some non-Lightning players which I will be working on in the New Year.
Is there a certain method to getting a game used stick? (Besides shelling out cash.)

Old
12-27-2006, 11:24 PM
NickHanson

Send a message via AIM to NickHanson
Quote:
I would think the only chance of myself getting a game used stick would be it getting some crazy deflections and flying to the upper deck and nailing me in the head..

Old
12-28-2006, 08:00 AM
missK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
Is there a certain method to getting a game used stick? (Besides shelling out cash.)
Well, you have to be able to get close to the players. The sticks I have acquired have come from practices at Brandon. When you're a fixture there pre-camp, during camp and most practices, the players get to know you. Plus this was all pre-Cup seasons. Things like player access have changed since then.

Old
12-29-2006, 11:45 AM
No-Twitch Tabitha

Send a message via MSN to No-Twitch Tabitha

I wish I were good at remaining conscious at these sorts of things...I always tend to get nervous and black out/pass out. It was all I could do to get my Peca jersey signed when he was an Islander. I couldn't stop shaking.

The better gift is when I gave it to my (now late) close girlfiend a few years back.

Closed Thread