HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LaPointe enters Substance Abuse Program

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Dr Love

vCash: 500
LaPointe enters Substance Abuse Program

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1678258

He voluntarily reported.

Old
12-04-2003, 10:50 AM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*

Get well soon Lappy.

Old
12-04-2003, 10:54 AM
Quellet The Dogs Out

Hmmm I wonder what substance it is?? Alcohol maybe??

Old
12-04-2003, 11:00 AM
BrindA17

Send a message via AIM to BrindA17
God damnit! I feel sorry for him, I honestly do, but this is the last thing we need right now. Release him asap.

Old
12-04-2003, 11:01 AM
Teezax

wow, that came out of nowhere, maybe the "falling down the stairs" and "flu" excuses were just a cover up of a potential hang over.
I guess Choui will be getting more ice time. So who will center the 4th line?

Old
12-04-2003, 11:04 AM
BrindA17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
So who will center the 4th line?
More of a question of "who will play the wing", because he was scheduled to play LW with Handzus and Williams.

Smells like Fedoruk.

Old
12-04-2003, 11:49 AM
MojoJojo

Patrick Sharp!

He has been having a great season with the Phantoms, lets bring him up and seek what he does. Sure he wont get a ton of minutes with the Flyers, but Lapoint was logging about 10:32 a night. Thats less than he gets in the AHL, but still isnt that bad.

Old
12-04-2003, 12:50 PM
iceman42

I dont know if bringing up a young kid and then not give him much playing time would be good idea. You want him to get some good shifts on a regular basis, otherwise it would do more harm then good.

Old
12-04-2003, 01:21 PM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindA17
Release him asap.
Come on, Brind. I think releasing somebody when they're dealing with personal problems would be the most classless thing the organization the team could do in this case. Luckily, Clarke's comments seem to indicate that they support the person completely.

If the team with the best record in hockey is going to fall apart with the loss of their fourth-line center, something else is amiss. They can just as well give an opportunity to Sharp, or move Chouinard or Gagne to center. I think it's good for teams to run across trouble during the regular season, else they'll never be prepared when the trouble really hits during the post-season.

Old
12-04-2003, 01:34 PM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman42
I dont know if bringing up a young kid and then not give him much playing time would be good idea.
Well, considering that he just has to walk across the parking lot, I think he'll do just fine. This is where the Flyers really have established a prototype parent-farm club relationship.

Players like Vandermeer, Seidenberg, and Sharp are exempt from regular season waivers and can shuttle back and forth from Philadelphia to Philadelphia as many times as needed. Should Vandermeer play in about 22 more NHL games, he would have to clear waivers to be sent down.

Old
12-04-2003, 01:58 PM
BrindA17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
Come on, Brind. I think releasing somebody when they're dealing with personal problems would be the most classless thing the organization the team could do in this case. Luckily, Clarke's comments seem to indicate that they support the person completely.

If the team with the best record in hockey is going to fall apart with the loss of their fourth-line center, something else is amiss. They can just as well give an opportunity to Sharp, or move Chouinard or Gagne to center. I think it's good for teams to run across trouble during the regular season, else they'll never be prepared when the trouble really hits during the post-season.
Clarke would release him, no problem. Remember Roger Nielson? He had cancer and was promised his job back when he returned from therapy. Clarke dopped him easily. Clarke is a *******, a good GM, but a *******.

I did not say the team would fall apart, I just don't want any problems. The news could travel through the locker room and who knows what kind of affect it could have?

The NHL is a business, and unfortunately, what's best for the team is what must be done.

I wish Lapointe the best, but the Flyers don't need any problems and it wouldn't be a huge loss at all.

Old
12-04-2003, 02:12 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
First Fedoruk,now Lappy? Oh well,all the best to my baby,I hope he makes it through this.

Old
12-04-2003, 03:37 PM
Brad*

Quote:
I did not say the team would fall apart, I just don't want any problems. The news could travel through the locker room and who knows what kind of affect it could have?
What are you trying to say? I donít know for sure, but I would hope the maturity level of the Flyers players and coaches in the locker room would be high enough that they wouldnít have any problem with someone just because theyíre dealing with substance abuse. Maybe Iím just naive, but I think that 20 grown men would be able to handle that and not let it cause a rift in the locker room.

Anyway, thatís still surprising; I never would have suspected Claude Lapointe. But I think itís a good sign he voluntarily reported; at least he knows he needs help. Good for him, and hopefully he can get the treatment he needs

Old
12-04-2003, 04:36 PM
IronMarshal

Quote:
Clarke would release him, no problem. Remember Roger Nielson? He had cancer and was promised his job back when he returned from therapy. Clarke dopped him easily. Clarke is a *******, a good GM, but a *******.

The NHL is a business, and unfortunately, what's best for the team is what must be done.

I wish Lapointe the best, but the Flyers don't need any problems and it wouldn't be a huge loss at all.
I think it is probably alcohol. Clarke may dump him later if it was drugs, and I doubt he would sound so supportive. The Flyers have had pretty good luck with rehabbing alcohol problems (Darryl Stanley, Fridge, and a couple of ex phantoms come to mind). The Nielsen thing (sorry about the calousness of "thing" but I think it works) effected the whole team. The team was playing much better going into the playoffs, and in all honesty, they were not responding to Roger. I understand your point and reasoning, but I don't agree with your assessment. Just personal choice.
A fourth line center will not have the same impact as a coach anyway, and that makes the comparison apples and oranges.

Old
12-04-2003, 05:01 PM
Dr Love

They didn't have any problems playing without him last night, and now Fedoruk is back. No need to call up Sharp. Recchi is centering the line with LeClair and Somik.

Old
12-05-2003, 03:45 AM
Banger

Lappy is getting treated for depression according to the flyers mgmt. not alchohol or drugs.

Old
12-05-2003, 04:25 AM
Dykhuis26

Quote:

In the paper today it was clear that the players all knew of Lapointe's depression and support him 100%. It won't have any negative affect in the locker room and could even be a positive when he returns.

Old
12-05-2003, 05:06 AM
MojoJojo

So it should take a month or so for the Prozac to kick in.

First Tony Soprano, now this...

Old
12-05-2003, 05:25 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:

Lapointe can file a grievance, and create more of a problem. Why do you think the Blackhawks never released Theo Fleury? Espcially all the commotion he caused with coming back, not playing well, firing his therapy partner, and the incident at the night club in Columbus. What's best for the team is that this is as far as it goes.

You mention Neilson's situation and while Clarke may be an ********, why would he make that same mistake again. But don't mention Clarke doing that to Nielson and then saying the NHL is a business because if you remember that same season the Flyers went to the Eastern Conference Finals (with the Lindros fiasco as well)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
12-05-2003, 08:06 AM
Nikkowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger
Lappy is getting treated for depression according to the flyers mgmt. not alchohol or drugs.
That's a relief,sort of. At least it's not drugs. But it's sad to see him so depressed,it makes me want to do something about it,coming of my own depression a while back.

Old
12-05-2003, 09:41 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzapieZeppelin18
That's a relief,sort of. At least it's not drugs. But it's sad to see him so depressed,it makes me want to do something about it,coming of my own depression a while back.
That's understandable. I had two major bouts with it myself before I finally was able to get it under control.

People who have never suffered from it would be supprised to see what kind of people can struggle with it. Even the most successful people in life.

Best wishes Claude

Old
12-05-2003, 10:23 AM
Gagne2433

Send a message via AIM to Gagne2433
Hey guys. I have had a few family and friends who have been admitted to substance abuse problems over the years.

I truly feel for Claude.

Anyhow, for those going to the game tonight, you may want to think about making a sign with a "Get Well Soon" or a "We're Behind you Lapointe" saying on it. I'm sure one way or the other that would be shown to Claude at the clinic and that would do wonder for his confidence and what not.

Coming from experience, moral support is huge in the healing process.

Just a thought.

Old
12-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Nikkowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagne2433
Hey guys. I have had a few family and friends who have been admitted to substance abuse problems over the years.

I truly feel for Claude.

Anyhow, for those going to the game tonight, you may want to think about making a sign with a "Get Well Soon" or a "We're Behind you Lapointe" saying on it. I'm sure one way or the other that would be shown to Claude at the clinic and that would do wonder for his confidence and what not.

Coming from experience, moral support is huge in the healing process.

Just a thought.
That's a great idea,although I won't be going to the game.

Old
12-06-2003, 12:43 AM
cws
...in the drink

I'm not a big Flyers fan (by any stretch).

But Lappy's problem is something that many of us unfortunatley can feel empathy for. The specific reasons mean little at this point.

All we want is for him to get better. I sure as hell know I do. Not that playing hockey matters in this situation, but he is one of the more honest players I've seen. He plays hard, period, end of story.

Get well, Claude.

Old
12-06-2003, 03:17 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
what happens to Lappy is very sad. But it is great to see that the whole team is behind him.

Get well soon Claude...

Closed Thread