HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plekanec = Petrov

Old
12-27-2006, 11:17 AM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe View Post
Petrov was never used on the PK so we can't compare him with Pleks on that. Petrov was better offensively, at least, he could score once in a while. Defensively? Petrov played with real bad habs team while Pleks is playing with a good team and a hot goalie. They are really equal if you take all aspects of their games.
Let's see.

Petrov was on bad teams and STILL was not used on the penalty kill! I'm amazed. Perhaps this was because THE COACHES COULD SEE THIS WAS NOT HIS FORTE! Heck, we had sixth-line fillers doing penalty killing ahead of Oleg Petrov.

And you're right. Plekanec is PLAYING with a good team. By 1996, Petrov was out of the NHL due to his defensive weakness and came back to play some more only because we had place for him on a BAD team.

Again, while I agree that Plekanec has not scored consistently yet, there is no doubt that

Plekanec > Petrov.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 02:41 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Plekanec has had terrible luck this year. I still think he has hands, especially when he tees up and shoots off rockets (that subsequently hit the post...).

If anyone saw him play for the Bulldogs, he was a more offensive type of player, who was a lot like Saku. I'm not sure whether he lost his hands from that time, or whether he has just been a victim of bad luck.

As far as him being like Petrov, I think that's extremely unfair. He does the little things extremely well such as looking after his own end, winning faceoffs, hustling constantly, and making plays for Samsonov and Kovalev. He needs to find a bit more consistency offensively, but otherwise, he is leaps ahead of Petrov as a player.
i agree totally and he still has the offensive up side to become a very good second line center for montreal .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 02:50 PM
kevinr

I don't see any comparison at all. Petrov couldn't shoot and Pleks has a very hard shot. Petorv didn't kill penalties and was not known for his defensive game. Pleks is an outstanding defensive player. OTher than the fact they are both fast.......

kevinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 03:20 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Petrov was never used on the PK so we can't compare him with Pleks on that. Petrov was better offensively, at least, he could score once in a while. Defensively? Petrov played with real bad habs team while Pleks is playing with a good team and a hot goalie. They are really equal if you take all aspects of their games.
One would assume there was reasons for that...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
One would assume there was reasons for that...
Let me see here. Ryder was not used by Claude Julien nor by Bob Gainey on the PK but is used by Carbo..... I guess coaches have their favorites!

Stefan_Latulippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 04:45 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Let me see here. Ryder was not used by Claude Julien nor by Bob Gainey on the PK but is used by Carbo..... I guess coaches have their favorites!
but Plekanec was by Julien and Gainey and is by Carbonneau... I guess when you're REALLY good at something...

I know you don't like Plekanec, it shows... but hey! even with very bad teams like we had back then, Petrov had a hard time making the lineup on a regular basis...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote